Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #271
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/225.7/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
I actually wanted to make noodles with the powder so I think I will just order a bag. I also saw the "Tortillas" but I just don't think I could get into that. I love tortillas and that's one thing I don't really want to substitute, I think it might ruin tortillas for me forever. Hmmm that might not be a bad thing Lol.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
I don't think the tortilla ones could be used to make filled "dumplings" because i think they would be too rubbery to "seal."

Over the years I think I have tried all the shapes and cuts of shirataki from Konjac Foods. Any that I didn't prefer were just tossed into my Magic Bullet and cut into smaller bits that were more tolerable.

There are shirataki threads from back in the day where we experimented with faux cream of wheat, etc. by grinding up the noodles.

Re the noodles themselves, not powder: If you google "JFC shirataki" noodles you will find some online Asian grocers that may be selling this brand for less per bag as well as lower shipping depending on volume ordered. . . .

Last edited by retroworx; 03-14-2011 at 09:36 AM..
Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/156/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
I ordered from Konjac on Thursday when I was doing several online orders and to my surprised it arrived today. I still haven't received shipping notices on other product. That was fast. I tried a drink-2 t chia seeds, 1/2 lemon juice, 2 drops sweetzfree, 1 pkg knox gelatin, water and 1 t. gluc. It was terrible and got too thick to drink in a few secs. Ugh- I will have to experiment.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marcea
Stats: 165/140/135
WOE: GF, Atkins
Start Date: September 2005
Thanks!!! and Glucomannan Cheese Bread Recipe

Oh my - I've just been so jazzed to find this thread on Glucomannan use!!! Thank-you all so much for your experiences and recipe's. I've been "Playing around" with glucomannan for about 3 months and been blown away about the dirth of information about cooking with it. Ahhhhh - Now I've got a resource - Wonderful!!!

Anyway, I thought I would share a Glucomannan Cheese Bread recipe I've been experimenting with. So far I'm pretty happy with it, but I find myself wanting a brownie - hmmm maybe I'll try to "browniefy" the cheese bread recipe. Cheers

P.S. I've bought the bulk Glucomannan from Konjac and have been very happy with it.

GF Glucomannan Cheese Bread
Ingredients:
4 tsp Glucomannan
1 tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
1 c Finely grated Cheese - your choice.
3 lg Eggs
1 tbsp Olive oil
3 tbsp Water

Instructions:
Beat eggs until fluffy. I use an electric mixer and just keep it running as I add ingredients.
Add oil, water, baking powder and garlic salt.
Slowly sprinkle the Glucomannan powder into the liquid while still beating. I use a seasoning shaker so I am sure that the Glucomannan gets added slowly. (If you're not careful with this step you'll get big blobs in the liquid.)
When the beater leaves "waves" in the dough, it's probably just about right. It'll be kind of the consistency of pudding..
I add the cheese last and then Cook according to Type of bread you want. (Note: I either use a non-stick spray or a non-stick pan)

For rolls - Spray non-stick spray on your hands and shape into about 12 balls. (Or drop like drop biscuits.) Bake at 375F for 12-15 minutes. (Rolls actually turn out flatter and can make a good sandwich base if they are 3" diameter)

For pizza crust - add a shake of garlic and a tsp. of Italian herbs to dough. (I double the recipe if I want a 16 inch Pizza.) Otherwise, you have a medium Pizza. Put dough on pizza or cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. I have usually just sprayed my hands with non-stic Spray and spread out the dough, but you could spray a piece of plastic wrap and place it on top of dough. Roll with a rolling pin to about 1/3 inch thick. (If you do mini pizzas you can just use your hands to pat down to the right shape and thickness.) Bake at 375F for 15 minutes, (shorter or Longer depending on size. )Top with pizza toppings and bake until cheese is bubbly.

Fry Bread: Pour batter into a 12 inch frying pan that you have melted about a Tablespoon of oil in. I use Coconut oil and a med low heat. Spread dough to the sides of the pan and put a lid on it. When dough is brown on the bottom, turn it over to finish cooking.

NOTE: I have used Jack, Sharp cheddar, Feta and Parmesan Cheeses as well as some Jalepeno's in the Bread - turns out good.
If your looking for lowfat - I have Cooked the Fry bread without the Cheese and it turns out a little like Yorkshire Pudding.
I have also, (for whatever reason) left out the Baking Powder and it seems to turn out OK.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #275
Big Yapper!!!!

I just ordered a bag of konjac powder. I hope it works to make my own noodles, that's the sole purpose I ordered it.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #276
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1annewil View Post
I ordered from Konjac on Thursday when I was doing several online orders and to my surprised it arrived today. I still haven't received shipping notices on other product. That was fast. I tried a drink-2 t chia seeds, 1/2 lemon juice, 2 drops sweetzfree, 1 pkg knox gelatin, water and 1 t. gluc. It was terrible and got too thick to drink in a few secs. Ugh- I will have to experiment.
Please don't take this wrong, but why are you adding gelatin? I would think with chia and glucomannan, the gelatin would not be necessary.

Just wondering.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #277
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

marcea, First, !

Is this like a quiche?
Old 03-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #278
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Marcea,

Thanks for posting your cheese bread recipe. I look forward to trying this!!

I too have the experiences of clumps, so I know what you mean!

Again, thanks!!

Janie
Old 03-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Please don't take this wrong, but why are you adding gelatin? I would think with chia and glucomannan, the gelatin would not be necessary.

Just wondering.

I was not thinking. I take gelatin for plantar fasciitis. It's an on-going problem but I wasn't thinking when I put them all together-I think I made real glue. I wanted a one-drink supplement.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RubyJ
WOE: Protein Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
LOL Ruby! I just ordered 2 bags to try of the ones with the starch in them to see if the texture is softer. They ship tomorrow with the powder. Can't wait! I have the tortilla one but I'm too scared to try it...

I tried the little shrimp shapes and ditilini shapes and they were just too rubbery and squeaky for me. So I had to rice up the rest of the odd shapes I got in the variety package. But I kept the tortillas til I could figure out what to do with them.
Let me know how they are, I haven't had a chance to place an order, yet.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #281
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcea View Post

GF Glucomannan Cheese Bread
Ingredients:
4 tsp Glucomannan
1 tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
1 c Finely grated Cheese - your choice.
3 lg Eggs
1 tbsp Olive oil
3 tbsp Water

Instructions:
Beat eggs until fluffy. I use an electric mixer and just keep it running as I add ingredients.
Add oil, water, baking powder and garlic salt.
Slowly sprinkle the Glucomannan powder into the liquid while still beating. I use a seasoning shaker so I am sure that the Glucomannan gets added slowly. (If you're not careful with this step you'll get big blobs in the liquid.)
When the beater leaves "waves" in the dough, it's probably just about right. It'll be kind of the consistency of pudding..
I add the cheese last and then Cook according to Type of bread you want. (Note: I either use a non-stick spray or a non-stick pan)

For rolls - Spray non-stick spray on your hands and shape into about 12 balls. (Or drop like drop biscuits.) Bake at 375F for 12-15 minutes. (Rolls actually turn out flatter and can make a good sandwich base if they are 3" diameter)

For pizza crust - add a shake of garlic and a tsp. of Italian herbs to dough. (I double the recipe if I want a 16 inch Pizza.) Otherwise, you have a medium Pizza. Put dough on pizza or cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. I have usually just sprayed my hands with non-stic Spray and spread out the dough, but you could spray a piece of plastic wrap and place it on top of dough. Roll with a rolling pin to about 1/3 inch thick. (If you do mini pizzas you can just use your hands to pat down to the right shape and thickness.) Bake at 375F for 15 minutes, (shorter or Longer depending on size. )Top with pizza toppings and bake until cheese is bubbly.

Fry Bread: Pour batter into a 12 inch frying pan that you have melted about a Tablespoon of oil in. I use Coconut oil and a med low heat. Spread dough to the sides of the pan and put a lid on it. When dough is brown on the bottom, turn it over to finish cooking.

NOTE: I have used Jack, Sharp cheddar, Feta and Parmesan Cheeses as well as some Jalepeno's in the Bread - turns out good.
If your looking for lowfat - I have Cooked the Fry bread without the Cheese and it turns out a little like Yorkshire Pudding.
I have also, (for whatever reason) left out the Baking Powder and it seems to turn out OK.
Marcea, thanks so much for this recipe!! I can't wait to try it!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:

I was not thinking. I take gelatin for plantar fasciitis. It's an on-going problem but I wasn't thinking when I put them all together-I think I made real glue. I wanted a one-drink supplement.
Sorry for the thread jack , but I'm interesed in the gelatin for plantar fascitis. I suffered with it for years, not knowing what was wrong. When I found out, and started doing the exercises, it went away. But it does come back off and on. Feels like it might be coming back to haunt now. I did a lot of reading up on it, but I don't remember anything about gelatin.
Again, sorry for the
Old 03-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
marcea, First, !

Is this like a quiche?
Thanks muchly for the welcome!!!!

Nope, this really is like a "bread" - although it's a little heavier. I was trying to figure out if I could post a picture of it - but I didn't figure that one out.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Marcea,

Thanks for posting your cheese bread recipe. I look forward to trying this!!

I too have the experiences of clumps, so I know what you mean!

Again, thanks!!

Janie
Ahhhhhh - you are very welcome. I look forward to hearing how you like it.

The clumb are a real pain, but I think they can be managed if the Glucomannan is added slowly to a cold liquid that is being stirred - At least that's what I've found so far.

Nice meeting you.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Marcea, thanks so much for this recipe!! I can't wait to try it!
ENJOY!!!! I'll be glad to hear what you think of it. One of my favorite tasters, (my 28 Year old son) just whipped through here a minute ago and swiped one of my cheese rolls. Sneaky. Guess that should tell me something, but I'm always wanting a fresh perspective and new taste buds.

Sure is nice to meet you.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Steak_Fanatic
The cheese bread sounds great. Thanks guys.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:13 AM   #287
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Just wondering.

Oh, I see. I was just wondering if I was missing something. I had PF until I lost some weight and it seems to be gone. For now. I also bought over the counter inserts for all my shoes.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #288
Senior LCF Member

I made this tonight-halved the recipe and fried in a black iron 6 inch skillet. Very interesting and great with taco soup on this cool evening. Thanks for the recipe, Marcea, i will make again.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #289
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Any ideas how to make the Gluc bread to be dairy-free?

Would coconut flour work?

Thanks!

ETA: SORRY! I saw the non-cheese variation at the end! Thank you!!

Last edited by RealFoodLiving; 03-15-2011 at 06:06 PM..
Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #290
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I made this tonight-halved the recipe and fried in a black iron 6 inch skillet. Very interesting and great with taco soup on this cool evening. Thanks for the recipe, Marcea, i will make again.
Glad you enjoyed it!!!! and thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to have to get myself a Black Iron Skillet - I'm sure that would do a a really nice "browning" job. Alas - my black iron skillet kinda got warped outta shape a couple years ago when my house burned down. Now I'm in the process of restocking my new kitchen (sometimes an overwhelming job) and I hadn't even thought of a black iron skillet. Thanks for the reminder!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFoodLiving View Post
Any ideas how to make the Gluc bread to be dairy-free?

Would coconut flour work?

Thanks!

ETA: SORRY! I saw the non-cheese variation at the end! Thank you!!
Not a problem at all and actually, I think Coconut flour might be a good addition. The cheese-less version of the this bread is more like the consistency of Yorkshire Pudding - perhaps if you added a little Coconut Flour, it could be a bit more like bread. I think the real trick is beating the eggs until they are real fluffy.

I have played around with a Glucomannan Coconut Flour Bread that you can make in a bread pan. It's pretty good, but is a very dense bread. However, when you consider that the Glucomannan has no calories and helps to level out the blood sugar peaks - I'm sold. I'll go ahead and post it. It does have cheese in it too, however - I think it would do just fine without the cheese and maybe you could add a little more coconut flour if the dough seems too wet.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #292
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wattobotf
Stats: 252/232/175
WOE: Higher Fat Bernstein's/Atkins
Start Date: Restart June 1, 2010
Just curious if this is breadlike, chewy or sticky? I have a bit of a swallowing problem.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #293
Senior LCF Member

Glucomannan Coconut Bread

Here is the bread that I was talking about. I've only made it with the cheese in it (I love cheese) but I think you could make it without and just add a bit more Coconut flour if the dough is too wet. This makes a pretty good sandwich bread, but it is dense, however not quite a crumbly as straight coconut bread. Also makes a good french toast, regular toast or garlic bread.

Glucomannan and Coconut Bread

Ingredients:
9 eggs
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 c coconut flour
1/2 c Melted Coconut Oil or Butter
1 Tabsp Baking powder
4 tsp Glucomannan
1 c Finely grated Cheese (I use Pecorino Romano for rolls and pizza. Use 1/2-1 cup sharp cheddar for crackers.)
3 tbsp Water

I start with the eggs and beat them in an electric mixer until they are fluffy.
I actually just leave the mixer on and start adding the water, Salt, Baking Powder.
Continue beating while slowly adding the Glucomannan. (I use a seasoning shaker to make sure I don't get any blobs.)
Once the Glucomannan is in I add the Coconut Flour and the Cheese.

Mix well, pour into greased bread pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
(I think ? my breadpan is a 1 1/2 lb loaf)

Actually, I ended up baking mine for 50 minutes, but I'd check at 40, because my oven seems to take a tad longer to bake. Also, since it's so dense, the bread will actually "fall" if it's not cooked all the way through. I let it stay in the oven longer just to make sure.

This bread is an eggy-tasting bread, so if you don't care for that kind of taste, this might not be something your interested in. I don't mind the egg taste, but I have to admit I camoflauge it a bit with the cheese and then I'll sometimes add Garlic and Sweet Basil. It makes a great garlic bread!
Cheers
Marcea
Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #294
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattobotf View Post
Just curious if this is breadlike, chewy or sticky? I have a bit of a swallowing problem.

Thanks in advance
I understand. I actually went over and took a bite out of one of my rolls, just to see if I can describe it better. It's kind of like a moist (but not sticky) bread. It is a dense bread that doesn't exactly melt in your mouth, but it isn't hard to chew and It isn't crumbly or sticky. Maybe the consistency of a brownie - or maybe I have brownie's On my mind . Oh well. Actually, I think it's more the consistency of Zucchini bread without the nuts. Hope that helps. Cheers Marcea
Old 03-16-2011, 05:54 AM   #295
Senior LCF Member

The regular recipe I made -fried in a skillet- was like an fried indian bread. I'm not really sure how to describe. I was surprised how bread like it was-lowish and dense but I maybe added 1/4 c evoo to the skillet and it absorbed it all. Even my DH who isn't low carbing thought it was a good item altho he ate his cornbread instead. I will try rolls very soon.

And Marcea, I'm from the Deep South, and a black iron skillet is a nescessity. I have given one to each of my children before they leave for college. #5 got hers this year. Essential.

Psalm 62:5
Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
my hope comes from him.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:27 AM   #296
Big Yapper!!!!

For anyone that has ordered the powder from "the site", did they send you any kind of email saying that they sent your order? Or did you just get your product in the mail without hearing from anyone. All I've ever gotten is my receipt and there's no type of tracking or anything.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #297
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
For anyone that has ordered the powder from "the site", did they send you any kind of email saying that they sent your order? Or did you just get your product in the mail without hearing from anyone. All I've ever gotten is my receipt and there's no type of tracking or anything.
Yep. It just showed up, unannounced!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #298
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks. I ordered it monday I wish it would get here STAT! Lol.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wattobotf
Stats: 252/232/175
WOE: Higher Fat Bernstein's/Atkins
Start Date: Restart June 1, 2010
marcea
Thanks for the great description! I'm going to try it. I also like the shaker idea as I too have had problems with clumping when adding powder.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: motyok
Start Date: February 08
Same here- no instant email verification of my order. I did get an email telling me when it shipped. Got here with no problems, though. I would order it again. I even got samples with my order.