Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Good Pizza Crust Recipes (photos included)

THIN ‘N CRISPY PIZZA CRUST
Thin, crispy crust pizza is a favorite. My eldest son, Daniel, 20 years old, who is not fully into low-carbing said, “Mom, this tastes equivalent to high-carb pizza. In fact, I actually prefer yours to the ones with the thick, white flour crusts.” This recipe makes 2 pizza crusts!

1 1/3 cups water (325 mL)
4 cups Vital Oat Ultimate (1 L)
Bake Mix, OR use
Whole wheat pastry flour in Bake Mix (see recipe below)
for about the same carbs
2 tbsp butter (25 mL)
2 tbsp skim, OR whole milk (25 mL)
powder
1 tbsp sugar (food for yeast) (15 mL)
1 tbsp dry yeast (15 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
3 tbsp olive oil, or more to taste (45 mL)

In bread pan, place water, Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix, butter, skim or whole milk powder, sugar (yeast completely consumes the sugar and forms carbon dioxide, which is what makes the bread rise), dry yeast and salt. Program bread machine to “dough” setting. Scrape sides of pan in the beginning, while it is mixing. Remove dough when ready and roll out on counter to fit a large pizza pan (larger than 12 inches (30 cm), preferably one with holes in it. Brush one side of dough with 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil and place that side down on pizza pan. If necessary, use small rolling pin or cylindrical object to further roll out dough. Bake in center of 425°F (200°C) oven 10 minutes. Remove and brush top of crust with remaining olive oil (use extra, if desired). Carefully loosen crust and flip using potholders. Bake another 5 minutes.

Cover with Pizza Sauce (recipe below), add toppings, such as sliced wieners or ham, ground beef and chopped bacon and Mozzarella, Cheddar and Parmesan Cheeses. Using Pizza Sauce, 4 wieners (sliced), 4 strips bacon (cooked and chopped) and 2 cups (500 mL) Mozzarella cheese on each pizza: (6.7 g Carbs). Reduce heat to 375°F (190°C) and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until crust is crispy and brown underneath and cheese has melted. It may be necessary to cover or partially cover pizza lightly with foil if top crust is turning too brown.

Helpful Hints: It is easy to add interest to the above pizza topping suggestions, such as finely chopped red and green pepper, sliced mushrooms, chopped green onions, etc. Add your own meat fixings and toppings – be creative! It’s possible to roll out remaining pizza crust, place on pizza pan or roll to fit a cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate and bake the next day (even crispier!).

You can even pre-bake this on a pizza pan, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate a few days and then use it by adding toppings and baking until the toppings are hot - very crispy crust!

Yield: 2 pizzas, 12 serv. ea.
1 serving
117.3 calories
5.7 g protein
8.2 g fat
4.4 g carbs

VITAL ULTIMATE BAKE MIX
Substitute cup-for-cup for all-purpose flour. Regular sugar and white flour recipes will have carbs reduced by about 60 %, if SPLENDA® is used as well.

Vital Ultimate Bake Mix (with spelt): (use the oat flour for the pizza crust)
1 1/2 cups ground almonds, OR (375 mL)
ground hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts
1 cup spelt, OR all-purpose, (250 mL)
whole wheat pastry flour, OR
oat flour* (last two have fewer carbs)
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten (125 mL)

In medium bowl, combine ground almonds (hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts), spelt flour (all-purpose, whole wheat pastry or oat flour) and vital wheat gluten; stir well. Substitute cup-for-cup for all-purpose flour. With all bake mixes, add liquid in your own recipes very cautiously, withholding about 1/4 cup (50 mL) to 1/2 cup (125 mL) and adding it as necessary. Usually recipes require the former amount.

Yield: 3 cups (750 mL)
1/4 cup (50 mL)/serv. (spelt)
139.5 calories
8.2 g protein
8.0 g fat
8.4 g carbs

Variations: *Vital Whole Wheat Ultimate Bake Mix: (using the same formulation in main recipe, only with whole wheat pastry flour):
131.4 calories, 7.8 g protein, 7.9 g fat, 6.9 g carbs.

*Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix: (using the same formulation in main recipe, only with oat flour): 136.5 calories, 8.1 g protein, 8.3 g fat, 6.1 g carbs.

Vital Ultimate Bake Mix (with all-purpose flour): I very rarely use this combination, but will choose to make the bake mix with spelt flour instead as in main recipe with nutritional analysis shown. It is useful for a very special occasion, delicate-textured cake or loaf or muffins, etc.
144.1 calories, 7.9 g protein, 7.9 g fat, 9.7 g carbs.

Helpful Hints: The ground almonds, unbleached all-purpose flour and vital wheat gluten combination in Vital Ultimate Bake Mix is very similar to regular baking and often better, producing lovely, moist, delicate-textured baked goods and is particularly useful for cakes that require a tender crumb texture. Spelt flour (a complex carbohydrate flour, not biologically related to wheat flour, but with about the same carbohydrate content) will be almost as good in such instances.

Vital Ultimate Bake Mix may replace Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix in recipes. Just use 2 tbsp (25 mL) less Vital Ultimate Bake Mix per cup of Low-Carb Bake Mix. It may also replace cup-for-cup any of the other Ultimate Bake Mixes in my other cookbooks.

PIZZA SAUCE
This easy pizza sauce gives your pizza an authentic taste.

2, 5.5 oz cans tomato paste (156 mL)
1 cup water (250 mL)
1 tbsp SPLENDA® Granular (15 mL)
1 tsp oregano (5 mL)
1/2 tsp basil (2 mL)
1/4 tsp onion salt (1 mL)
1/4 tsp black pepper (1 mL)
1/8 tsp garlic powder (0.5 mL)
1/8 tsp salt (0.5 mL)

In medium bowl, whisk together tomato paste, water, SPLENDA® Granular, oregano, basil, onion salt, black pepper, garlic powder and salt.

Use 1/2 cup (125 mL) per pizza crust.

Helpful Hints: Freeze leftover sauce or only make half this recipe for 2 pizza crusts. This Pizza Sauce will keep about 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

Yield: 2 cups (500 mL)
1 tbsp (15 mL) per serving
8.6 calories
0.4 g protein
0.1 g fat
1.5 g carbs

Last edited by cheri; 03-26-2012 at 05:39 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One Pizza Crust (Excellent!)

This recipe is adapted slightly from one that Donna Hodach-Price gave me. I had some trouble rolling out the dough, perhaps because she used gluten flour versus vital wheat gluten. Anyway whatever the reason does not matter as this recipe is fantastic and really low in carbs!! An excellent, thin, low-carb pizza crust was especially important to her, as she has Italian roots. She asked me to include and I quote: "I absolutely LOVE your bake mixes, especially when it comes to homemade breads and cakes; they are simply unsurpassed for these applications!" And I say, "How cool is that!!"

1/2 cup warm water (105 deg. F.) (don't worry - just make sure it is warm)
1 1/2 cups Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix (recipe above)
1 tbsp vital wheat gluten
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp rapid rise yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for authentic taste!

In bread machine pan, place water, Vital Oat Ultimate Bake Mix, vital wheat gluten, olive oil, sugar, yeast and salt. Use the knead cycle or dough cycle and stop the bread machine before the first rise; in other words, don't let the dough rise. Halfway through the knead cycle, check to be sure that the dough is a very smooth ball and not too sticky. If it is sticky, add more bake mix, a little at a time until the smooth texture is reached. If it is too dry, add a tiny amount of olive oil or water. Remove the dough after the knead cycle has completed. Preheat the oven to 425 deg. F.

Roll dough into a rough circle. Place on a large, greased pizza pan, preferably with holes (for a crispier crust) and continue to roll to fit with a small rolling pin or cylindrical object. Spread 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil over dough with pastry brush (this helps prevent crust from becoming soggy). Using fork, gently poke holes in several places on bottom of dough to prevent it from puffing up. Bake in lower third of oven 5 minutes. Turn pan around and continue baking another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cover with pizza sauce (recipe above) and other toppings of choice (such as cooked savory ground beef and cooked, diced bacon), including Mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese. Return to oven and bake 10 minutes, cover lightly with foil and bake another 5 minutes, or until the crust is crispy and brown and the toppings are hot.

With a pair of kitchen scissors, cut pizza slices. Two servings will usually be a good size meal along with a large salad. Enjoy!

Nutritional Analysis: 12 slices, 1 slice:
91.4 calories; 4.6 g protein; 6.4 g fat; 3.2 g carbs
Old 07-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

BARBECUE CHICKEN PIZZA
These pizza crusts will puff up like a crispy, deep dish Italian pizza crust. Analysis for crust alone, (4.2 g Carbs)

Pizza Crust:
1 cup water, PLUS 2 tbsp (275 mL)
3 tbsp olive oil (45 mL)
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten (300 mL)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (250 mL)
1/2 cup wheat bran (125 mL)
4 tsp bread machine yeast (20 mL)
1 tbsp SPLENDA® Granular (15 mL)
1 tbsp granulated sugar (15 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
3 tbsp olive oil (45 mL)
Topping: (all ingredients divided)
Barbecue Sauce (below)
4 cups diced cooked Chicken (600 g)
6 slices cooked bacon, chopped
1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped green onion, OR (50 mL)
green pepper
2 1/2 cups Mozzarella or Cheddar cheese (625 mL)

Pizza Crust: In cereal bowl, heat water in microwave oven 1 minute. In bread pan, place water, 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil, eggs, vital wheat gluten, whole wheat pastry flour, wheat bran, yeast, SPLENDA® Granular, sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Program bread machine to Pizza Dough setting or to knead and one rise. Remove and place on “floured” (use whey protein powder, vital wheat gluten or soy protein isolate) surface. Knead; divide dough in half. Roll out each half as much as possible. Cover with clean towel and leave 10 minutes. Roll again. If it resists rolling, let dough rest again. Grease two 12-inch (30 cm) pizza pans with butter. Lift each rolled-out pizza dough and place on pans. Roll out with small rolling pin, being careful to roll some of the thick edges back towards the center.

Bake in 450°F (230°C) oven 15 minutes. Brush underside of crusts with 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil.

Topping: Cover pizzas with Barbecue Sauce and load up with warm chicken, bacon, tomato, green onion or green pepper and Mozzarella or Cheddar cheese. Bake 5 to10 minutes in 450°F (230°C) oven, or until cheese has melted.

Yield: 24 slices (2 pizzas)
1 slice
167.1 calories
16.2 g protein
8.6 g fat
5.3 g carbs

BARBECUE SAUCE
Specifically created for Barbecue Chicken Pizza.

1/2 of 5 1/2 oz can tomato paste (78 mL)
3 tbsp white vinegar (45 mL)
2 tbsp SPLENDA® Granular (25 mL)
1/2 tsp onion salt (2 mL)
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (2 mL)
1/4 tsp liquid smoke (1 mL)
1/8 tsp garlic powder (0.5 mL)
1/8 tsp black pepper (0.5 mL)

In cereal bowl, combine tomato paste, vinegar, SPLENDA® Granular, onion salt, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, garlic powder and black pepper. Mix well.

Yield:
1/2 cup (125 mL)
1 tbsp (15 mL) per serving
11.7 calories
0.4 g protein
0.1 g fat
2.3 g carbs

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 07-23-2010 at 05:01 PM..
Old 07-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Wow, those look amazing!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellBell1234
Drool! These look SO yummy!!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
Guess what, I have left-over chicken in the frig!! Looks delicious Jen!

Pat
Old 07-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Wish there was a way to do this without the Vital Wheat Gluten. My friend is gluten intolerant really bad and even a touch of anything wheat sets her off. She has been looking for a good pizza crust recipe for years and this one is so good I'm hoping it can be tweaked for her.

Thanks Jennifer and anyone else who can help my friend with a gluten free pizza crust!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Hey Linda does it need to be lower carb too?
Old 07-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Thanks Jen, looks fantastic. Julie
Old 07-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Hey Linda does it need to be lower carb too?
Not really, would be nice, but not a first wish for her.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: newyorkmeg
Stats: 247/152/healthy 5'8"
WOE: Just LC
Start Date: 10/09
can I come over???
Old 07-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, guys. Hope some of you file these nice recipes away if you're on induction. There comes a day when you're able to have grains and truly the carbs are low - way better option than the real thing, and it even tastes similar to the real thing. I can handle this sort of thing and still lose weight, but everyone is different.

I have a feeling these can be made with a mixer instead of the bread machine.

Hi Pat! That's great - hope you get around to making the pizza. I have not made that particular one in years. Can you believe that? Seriously. I usually make the first recipe or the second one.

Linda, I think if you type gluten free pizza crust in google, you'll find plenty of recipes for your friend, but not necessarily low-carb. I'll see what I can come up with when I find some time.

Newyorkmeg, of course you can come over!
Old 07-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Linda, I think if you type gluten free pizza crust in google, you'll find plenty of recipes for your friend, but not necessarily low-carb. I'll see what I can come up with when I find some time.
She has done exactly what you suggested with very poor results and I KNOW how wonderful your recipes! Thanks for even thinking about taking the time for her, I do know how busy your life is right now!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Linda, I know this isn't homemade, not sure if that is what her heart is set on but Bob's red Mill has gluten free pizza crust http://www.netrition.com/bobs_gf_pizza_crust_mix.html

Jennifer, I have these saved to try!! I really am tempted to make the one crust pizza crust today, but think i will wait for a cooler day! Thanks!!!

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 07-25-2010 at 12:35 PM..
Old 07-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
Hey Linda, I know this isn't homemade, not sure if that is what her heart is set on but Bob's red Mill has gluten free pizza crust Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix
Thanks Gina, but this is the first one she ever tried and said it was just terrible!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Haha, I just read the blurb under the first pizza crust. My eldest son is now 26 years old!! Geesh where did the time go?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Jennifer that's funny!! Time sure does fly..My DD just turned 19 today!! I am dying to try your one crust pizza, I just am waiting for it to cool off some more..I think we are finally getting some cool weather coming up!!

Linda, Your friend could check out these two sites..lots of info.

Gluten Free Pizza - What's Your Favorite Gluten Free Pizza

Gluten-free Gluten Free Pizza Search Results - Celiaccess.com

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 07-26-2010 at 09:44 PM..
Old 07-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Enjoy the next 7 years, Gina. As I said, the time just flew!

It does sound hot over there at the moment, but glad it will cool down a bit soon. I think you will like the pizza crust. I like both the first and second recipe. I can't remember the third one to be honest. I just have the photo to go by now. I wonder if Pat made it.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
LOL Enjoy the next 7 years, Gina. As I said, the time just flew!

It does sound hot over there at the moment, but glad it will cool down a bit soon. I think you will like the pizza crust. I like both the first and second recipe. I can't remember the third one to be honest. I just have the photo to go by now. I wonder if Pat made it.
Sorry Jen, it has been too hot to turn my oven on. I'll let you know when I do make it. We are going on vacation so it might be awhile.

Pat
Old 07-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
Oh my goodness!!! This looks sooo good!!!! Can I use just oatmeal that has been put through a food processer to get my oat flour??? If so, then I can make this tonight for dinner. My husband will love it!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think so, Fourstubbs.

Pat - have a great vacation!

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 07-27-2010 at 05:53 PM..
Old 07-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
thanks!! I look forward to making it...
Old 07-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #23
Tyl
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
pizza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot wait to try this. I have to buy some ingredients but def gonna give this a try next week!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Jennifer,

Thank you for sharing all your wonderful recipes! You make life hard! (in a good way! ) I never know which recipe to try first. I have your recipes in thier own pile.. Thanks again for being so willing to share!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Snowangel, you are welcome. It is time for me to pay it forward. I've been in the cookbook business for 18 years and people have been wonderfully supportive through the years.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I just made the BBQ Chicken Pizza (crust only) and it was very good. DH said, "this is the best lower carb pizza he's ever had, don't loose this recipe!!!" Thank you Jennifer for yet another great recipe!

I did make a couple of substitutions to use what I had on hand. Instead of WW pastry flour I used just regular whole wheat. I also used rapid rise yeast because that's what I had. I don't have a bread machine so I just mixed up the dough in my kitchenaid for about 17 minutes then let rise for 1/2 hour or so in a slightly warmed oven. Here are some pics. This made 2 HUGE pizzas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pizza 2.jpg (55.0 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg pizza.jpg (42.4 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg pizza 1.jpg (44.1 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg pizza 3.jpg (37.2 KB, 341 views)
Old 08-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you so much, Angie, for the heads up and for trying the different method. Your photos are amazing! I linked to this post from my blog, specifically to send folks to your photos, because they are better than mine. So nice that your DH liked it too. The other pizza crusts are very different - i.e. thin and crispy. Try him on those one day too.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Thank you Jennifer for a great crust! I've made the other two crusts also, DH really likes them both (as do I) - but this one is his favorite. It's funny though because he always says he likes thin crispy pizzas but then went nuts over the thick crust. I like them all for different reasons, they are all great and I don't think I could pick a favorite.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gluten-free Pizza Crust (Linda - for your friend!)

GLUTEN-FREE PIZZA CRUST
We loved this one!

2 cups shredded Monterey (500 mL)
1/2 cup Gluten-free Bake Mix
1/3 cup butter, melted (75 mL)
1 egg white, fork beaten

In large bowl, combine Monterey cheese, Gluten-free Bake Mix, butter and egg white. Grease a smallish nonstick pizza pan (the kind you would use for a dessert fruit pizza). Cover dough with plastic wrap and using hands spread dough out evenly. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven 10 minutes.

Cover with pizza sauce, page 58 Splendid Low-Carbing for Life, Volume 2 and toppings of choice such as cooked savory ground beef, green pepper and bacon and another 1 cup (250 mL) shredded cheese. Bake 10 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
Old 08-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Angie. You are so easy to please.