Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #61
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 150ish/126/115
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 30 lbs in 97 "Somersizing", restart 8/10 @ 129
Thank You Jennifer!

I've made the "thin n crispy pizza crust" recipe three times now, and I just want to say thank you so much for sharing it. It's so delicious, I think I prefer it to regular pizza! I know you are all into the gluten free stuff these days, which is probably smart, but my husband hasn't really taken to any egg/cheese based breads and I don't think I'll try any more of them. So this way, I don't go totally off the rails when he begs for pizza (which is something like twice a month) but it's still a real treat. It's the only thing he seems to miss, so I can handle a little oat flour and wheat gluten. Oh, and your pizza sauce is much better than jarred..it will be my standard recipe from now on.

Last edited by caffeinated chelle; 02-03-2012 at 05:12 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Yay - I also loved that particular recipe, caffeinated Chelle. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thought I should add the link to this great thread with Peggy's Pizza Crust which received rave reviews:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...h-my-gosh.html

If you need to be gluten-free, please look for the second posting of Peggy's recipe (Pizza Crust a La Peggy-style) made gluten-free - I think on the second screen, if I recall correctly.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Thanks Jen. I honestly forget the sticky room is here most days. I need to spend more time here browsing.

Since you put a link to the discussion here on the Sticky thread, guess I ought to include a pic of what the crust looks like made with my recipe as written, with Carbquick AND your gluten-free bake mix. The original pic isn't on the linked discussion, only on my original recipe submission:

Old 02-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow - you make a good-looking pizza, Peggy! Looks very professional. Thank you for providing a photo. That's nice of you!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I also made sure the actual recipe appears on the linked thread, which it did NOT before. And here's a copy for this thread:

Here's my original pizza crust recipe, as written (NOT gluten-free). Please note the original recipe calls for Jen's LO CARB bake mix, not her gluten-free mix. To get my exact results, you'd have to use THAT mix:

INGREDIENTS:

4 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 beaten eggs
½ c. Jennifer Eloffs Low Carb Bake Mix (I made it with plain whey protein)
¼ c. CarbQuick bake mix
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ c. grated mozzarella cheese
2 T. Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS: Line a 13-16″ pizza pan (mine has holes in the bottom) with parchment paper. Soften cream cheese and beat in the eggs. Add the dry ingredients and cheese in the order listed above. Stir, beating until batter is smooth. Evenly spread onto parchment paper with a rubber spatula, trying to keep the thickness even throughout. Bake in preheated 350º oven for about 15-20 minutes until just done in the center to the touch, but not really browned yet. Remove from oven, cool a few minutes and then slide parchment out from under the crust like a magic demo man jerks the table cloth out from under the set table without jostling the dishes (mine comes out just fine each time). Now top your partially cooked crust with sauce, spices, cheese and toppings of your choice. Bake another 15 minutes or so to melt cheese and meld flavors.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 8 slices, each (crust only) contains:

147 calories
12.3 g fat
3.51 g carbs
1.73 g fiber
1.78 g NET CARBS
8.94 g protein
244 mg sodium

Jen's Low-Carb Bake Mix:

1 2/3 cups ground almonds
2/3 cup vanilla whey protein (I use plain, unsweetened in mine for most uses)
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten
Old 02-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Mmmmm, now I want pizza
Old 05-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bella9
Stats: Size 22 down to 6 ~
WOE: Low Carb ~ my way
Start Date: February 14, 2008
Made this crust over the weekend and it was fabulous. Thank you Jennifer!!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #69
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sondre
I have a question about Vital Ultimate Bake Mix with Oat flour , i just googled it,and i checked nutrition info on couple websites , and it looks like Oat flour has about 65g. of carbs per 100g ! Almost the same (2g difference)as white flour ...

Sorry if i missed something,but how can this be low carb ?
Old 06-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It is part of a bake mix that is mostly ground almonds and vital wheat gluten (which is about 75%) protein - so the oat flour carbs are diluted. The carbs are moderate for that bake mix - 6.1 g carbs per 1/4 cup In those days, oat flour had a lower carb count given by all the companies - Bob's Red Mill, Arrowhead Mills and the one I was using at the time which was even lower. Now these same companies have increased the carb count for oat flour - not sure why. I use Arrowhead Mills oat flour - not as high in carbs as Bob's Red Mill but also not as low as the one I used in yesteryear.

My latest gluten-free bake mix errs on the side of caution though. With almond meal (ground almonds, which is what I use) used in the bake mix, the yield is 2 1/2 cups and that is what I based the nutritional analysis on, however, if one uses almond flour, then it makes 3 cups - which means the carbs are a lot lower than I state for that bake mix. I don't actually use any of my older bake mixes anymore. I have gone gluten-free and really believe it is healthier for me with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

Hope this explanation helps you to understand.

I see you are new to LCF's!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sondre
Thank you for explaining that , i guess everything is different over here (in UK) .

You say you dont really use your old bake mixes,do you have a link to your newer ones please (that is if it has been posted on here) ?

I really want to try something different than cauliflower pizza , but dont want too much carbs in it .

If i make pizza,thats all i would eat all day , so with all toppings it needs to be under 20 grams . Cauliflower one is under 15 grams i think .
Old 06-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
This is Jennifer's Gluten free bake mix

SPLENDID GLUTEN-FREE BAKE MIX

1 2/3 cups almond flour
3/4 cup certified gluten-free oat flour
2 tbsp sifted coconut flour
3/4 tsp xanthan gum (3 mL)

In large bowl, combine almond flour, OR almond meal, oat flour (if you are intolerant to gluten-free oat flour then substitute some other gluten-free flour), coconut flour and xanthan gum. In container with airtight lid, place bake mix and shake the container well to combine. When measuring oat flour (not necessary with the other ingredients) into measuring cup, make sure to tap the cup on the counter top and fill to the top to get the correct yield for the bake mix. Keep bake mix at room temperature for up to one month or freeze for much longer storage.

**Instructions: Substitute 1/4 cup additional bake mix when substituting for 1 cup or more than 1 cup flour in recipes and use 2 tbsp more if substituting for less than 1 cup. Always begin by adding an extra egg in muffins, cakes, coffeecakes and loaves (except for cookies usually as it changes the texture) and withholding about half the liquid/wet/fat ingredients and adding in as necessary. If the batter after processing at least a minute is still very thick, add more of the liquid ingredients and if accidentally the batter ends up too sloppy, then add a little more bake mix. If all the liquid has been used and the batter is still stiff, add another egg and another if necessary. Baking experience will be helpful. Coconut flour needs eggs.

*This bake mix is great in muffins, loaves, cookies, donuts, coffeecakes, many cakes, pie crusts and a few other specialized applications, but will not be suitable for all applications, nor for most yeast applications. Xanthan gum has gluten-like properties and it binds ingredients together preventing crumbly outcomes.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) 1/4 cup (60 mL) per serving 125.7 calories 4.5 g protein 8.9 g fat 5.7 g carbs
Old 06-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #73
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Stories
This recipe looks promising ... got to try it :-)