Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2003, 12:24 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrielee
Best Burger Bun Yet! Super Easy Too!

Okay, most of you know my buttermilk pancakes recipe, well I tweaked it last week to make savory waffles, and these beat the heck outta the revolution rolls for bread. They are moist and chewy like bread and they won't stick to your fingers!

You will actually use only 1 tbsp of the mix in your waffle iron, so that they come out in a circle shape instead of the square! I didn't count the number of buns I got, but it was a lot! Sorry about that.

The neat thing too.....the little squares hold in the mayo and mustard!!! No dripping! LOL
---------------------------------------------------
Sherrie's Savory Burger Bun

*Preheat the waffle iron

1 8oz Pkg cream cheese
3 eggs
3 tsp Splenda
1/2 cup Atkins Bake Mix
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1/4 cup buttermilk

Beat cream cheese with mixer until blended smooth, add the remaining ingredients. Spray pan with a light coat of olive oil flavored non stick spray and pour in pan about 1 tbps of mix. It will make a perfect round bun! You can freezed them and reheat them in the toaster! My hubby says this is the best bread yet.

It should come out to about 1 carb per bun!
Nutiritional Info Via ******
Calories Total: 72
Fat: 6 70%
Sat: 3 39%
Poly: 0 5%
Mono: 2 20%
Carbs: 1.2 6%
Fiber: .11 0%
Protein: 4 24%

------------------------------------------------------
Make your own Atkins Bake Mix

1 cup soy flour
2 cups soy protein isolate
2 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Splenda

Sift together then store and use as you would Dr. A's. It's much cheaper and things come out about the same.

3 carbs per 1/2 cup serving

Last edited by sherrielee; 04-27-2003 at 08:40 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2003, 12:31 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrammaPJ
I have yet to taste anything you have offered on this bb that isn't just perfect! I am making these tonight.... Oh Boy, they sound good!
Old 02-11-2003, 12:59 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

hehehe.....I'm flattered!

They really are good, we have been munching on them all week with burgers from the grill! I always like the revolution rolls, but what a chore they are to make! Not to mention the parchment paper I go through!

These are so simple, I just throw everything in my food processor and a few minutes later it's ready to pour into the waffle iron! And these are easy to store, I just put them in a big baggie and tossed some in the freezer and some in the fridge!

My hubby put some taco meat on one the other day and said it reminded him of an Indian Taco! He used to teach on a reservation in Rocky Boy Montana, and he misses their fry bread!
He said the holes actually held in the meat better!

Sherrie

Last edited by sherrielee; 03-01-2003 at 05:43 PM..
Old 02-12-2003, 02:08 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LadyV
Stats: Not where I wanna be, damnit!
WOE: Atkins/SB
Bumping....has anyone tried these!?
Old 02-13-2003, 04:10 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CatDogsKid
Sherrielee--

I'm hoping to try these this weekend. I have a question though...do they have to be cooked in a waffle iron or can they be cooked in a skillet? Just wondering. I don't have a waffle iron, but my mom has an extra (older) one. Last time I used it though, the batter stuck to it like you wouldn't believe! Do you spray your iron before you put the batter in?

My mom tried your buttermilk pancakes (let me try them too!), but didn't have buttermilk for them so she used sour cream. They were delish!!! Thanks for all the good recipes!!!
Old 02-13-2003, 05:13 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

CatDogsKid...I suppose you could do them in the skillet, but they wouldn't be the same texture. I do spray my waffle iron the first time I use it and then they all release just fine, it's an old non stick one too.

I'm thinking about getting a new one, they have a good price on a 4 piece maker at Kmart!

Sherrie

Last edited by sherrielee; 03-01-2003 at 05:43 PM..
Old 02-13-2003, 05:23 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Sherrilee could you use a sandwich maker for these. I have a waffle iron but I was just wondering? I'm trying to come up with a soy=free bake mix , cause I think I'm allergic to soy. Ess
Old 02-13-2003, 05:52 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

rosethorns...if you try the sandwich maker and it works let me know!

Sherrie

Last edited by sherrielee; 03-01-2003 at 05:44 PM..
Old 02-13-2003, 03:27 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SandyJ
I made these today. I really like them. I had them at lunch with chicken salad and for dinner with a hamberger.
Next time I think I will cut the garlic in half. I also had to use 2 Tbls of mix to make a "bun" that was a little smaller than a full size reg. waffle. Thanks Sherrielee
Old 02-14-2003, 11:32 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I made another batch of these last night and added a few sun dried minced tomatoes to the batter and a tsp of onion flakes! Awesome! It gave it a mediterainean kick to the recipe!

Also the recipe makes 18 large rounds so they are just under 1 carb per waffle bun! A great way to have bread and stay in control of the carbs.

My mom is visiting and she says these are better than real bread! So the "MOM" factor gives them a big thumbs up! She can be finicky, so that's a good sign!

Anyone else give them a try yet?

Sherrie

Last edited by sherrielee; 03-01-2003 at 05:44 PM..
Old 02-14-2003, 03:05 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tigerlilyrose
Stats: 335/135/145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1-10-2002
I made these waffle-buns for supper tonight. They were good! I used the no soy bake mix recipe that calls for oat flour and whey protein. I also cut down on the garlic and onion powder to taste. They had a good consistency and made about 20 waffles using 1/8 cup of batter per waffle. I actually ate a hamburger tonight for the first time in over a year!
Old 02-14-2003, 09:59 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
I made these the other night and am very impressed. I made 10 in the waffle maker and then decided to make 6 in my muffin top pan. I put enough of the batter to cover the bottom of the pan and then baked them for about 15 minutes. They are really good baked in the oven too!! This weekend I am going to add yeast to the mix and let them rise and see what happens. I think the yeast will work with these rolls. I like the fact that they don't stick to my fingers, like sherrilee said..
Old 02-15-2003, 06:04 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
sherrielee, thanks

I finally made these and they were good, I tweaked them a little though. I used 1/4 c soy isolate ( Trader joe's) and 1/4 c egg and milk protein powder (Trader Joe's) and less splenda......yummy.

I will try using my muffin top pans next time too, I think they'll look more like hamburger buns that way. I want to see if they will taste good plain with NO seasonings ( more like white bread). Thank you these are a keeper.

PS, I didn't care for your tortillas though, could it be that 1/2 cup oil in the recipe was a type O? they were very greasy for my taste and the flax seed meal made them feel slimmy in mouth once my saliva mix with it. Any thoughts on this? thanks

Last edited by Tater Head; 02-15-2003 at 06:22 AM..
Old 02-15-2003, 12:44 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Boy, we are all experimenting.

I made these today,too. We had a real cheeseburger for
lunch. I guess you have to get over the fact that they look
like waffles..Mine were square..and mine were a little floppy, so
I toasted them and they firmed up a bit.

I think they would make delicious Belgian waffles...leave
out the spices..

Waffle, Ice cream, Strawberries...Yumm...
Old 02-16-2003, 08:04 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyTexun
Stats: 01-03-11 restart 222/212/175
WOE: Just Lo-Carb
Start Date: 01-'03 (again 01-2010, and again 1-'11)
Sherrielee... Seeing a how Sunday is my "make ahead" food day, I am working on my 2nd batch already. I didn't have buttermilk (forgot to buy yesterday ) so I used 1/2 and 1/2 with a scant tsp of white vinegar and let set for about an hour. These are awesome!! I'm thinking of separating the eggs next time and whipping the egg white up to fairly soft/stiff peaks (like my Dad used to do for waffles when I was a kid) then fold them into the rest of the mixture. I used the "faux" Atkins Bake Mix recipe and made my own... This is the first time I've used soy and it's not bad at all... I'm definitely passing this recipe on if it's OK with you.

Great recipe!! Thanks!!!
Old 02-16-2003, 02:53 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: green gal
Help I made these in the frying pan and they were soft and limp. What did I do wrong?????

When you use a waffle iron do they come out stiff .People keep saying that they toast them is this in a toaster because if i tried that with mine they would just fall to the bottom in blob and stick there.
Helppp!!!!
Old 02-16-2003, 04:12 PM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: PammyJo
Stats: 65 lbs lost since 06/05/05
WOE: Weight Watchers Flex program
I don't have a waffle iron

One question, though. Are you using some kind of different waffle iron, because I wondered if these resembled buns or if they looked like round waffles with all the grooves, but with bun-like texture?
Old 02-16-2003, 06:14 PM   #18
lexi1424

Gallery: lexi1424
Sherrielee, You are a genius! These are wonderful. i followed the recipe except i omitted the garlic and onion powders. I used my regular waffle iron. They came out soft and moist. These will be perfect for hamburgers and sandwiches. It is a little odd using something shaped like a waffle, but for the taste and texture of bread I don't mind a bit. And the thing I'm most pleased about is the fact that they don't taste so eggy like most LC bread recipes. Thanks so much!
Lexi

Old 02-17-2003, 09:41 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SandyJ
Thanks again!!!!!

I have been eating these every day. Great for chicken and tuna salad. I use a regular waffle iron that makes 4 square waffles. Mine do not turn out looking round, but they are so good..who cares. I put mine in the toaster oven before making my sandwich.

I have another "Mom" factor vote. My mother who is seventy also is eating low carb, but she hates every new recipe that I make. She loves these and has one at every meal.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:16 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CatDogsKid
I made these this weekend & they are VERY good! They turn out like a waffle (& even taste a little like a waffle) but work very well to make a sandwich with. Mine made 18 bread-sized pieces. They didn't come out round, but square. They passed the "Mom test", but even more importantly, they passed the finicky 8 year old test! My daughter & her friend thought they tasted good. I didn't have any problem with them sticking to the old waffle iron either once I sprayed both sides with Pam.

I've tried them with hamburgers YUM! & also as bread for a fried egg sandwich YUM!

THANKS Sherrielee!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 07:26 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I'm glad everyone loves them, I have gotten past the fact that they look like a waffle! LOL, the fact that they are only 1 carb and taste like bread is all I need to be a happy camper!

I made chicken salad yesterday and it was to die for on these buns!

Sherrie

Last edited by sherrielee; 03-01-2003 at 05:45 PM..
Old 02-18-2003, 11:25 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheryl5
I am trying these right now using Gettingsmaller's suggestion of using the muffin top pan since I don't have a waffle maker. Will they brown? I see to cook them for 15 minutes, but they didn't look done. I can't wait to taste them!
Old 02-18-2003, 02:28 PM   #23
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: TRACEY
Sherrie,

I made these tonight. I used heavy cream instead of the buttermilk. I am very impressed!! These are much better for sandwiches than revolution rolls. Better texture and flavor. No eggy taste!!

I put them in my muffin top pans, the recipe made 9 muffin tops (which will be 4 top and bottoms + one extra). I cooked them at 350 for 15 minutes. Then played around with the time a little on some to make them brown up more.

Questions...
Should I purchase buttermilk next time. What does it add?? Also, what is your opinion re: taking the spices out to get a flavorless bread. I would love a PB&J.

Thanks so much. I am very excited about buying a hamburger from Wendy's tomorrow and substituting this for the bun. Yeahhh!!

Tracy
Old 02-18-2003, 04:02 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnePM
WooooHoooooo! I can eat a real burger again! Made this last night and dh and I LOVED them. I'm whipping up some more tonight to keep in the freezer, and I'm dreaming of tuna salad sandwiches, chicken salad sandwiches, fried egg sandwiches.....

Thanks so much for this recipe!

Anne
Old 02-18-2003, 04:16 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LindaD
Stats: First time 300/190/160 10/24/2000
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Start JUDDD 6/25/12 254.5/220.5/200
Another 2 thumbs up.......

These are great. I didn't have any buttermilk, but used 1/2 and 1/2 and a little vinegar. They are very versatile......

Thanks so much for the recipe. Keep them coming!!!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 10:56 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
I never use buttermilk. Just put a tsp of lemon juice in the bottom of a glass measuring cup and pour in the cream. Let it sit while you are preparing the rest of the recipe. Also, I do not put in the seasonings because I like to use it as "toast" with eggs as well as for sandwiches. They are great without the spices. If you have a muffin top pan, these are GREAT fixed in the oven. I think it is worth getting one of the pans because these are definite keepers and will be part of my WOE forever. If you haven't tried these rolls, you are missing out. They are so much better than revolution rolls.

Last edited by gettingsmaller; 02-18-2003 at 10:57 PM..
Old 02-19-2003, 08:08 AM   #27
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: momto2
These are wonderful! I've made two batches already this morning (NO - I have not eaten the whole two batches - LOL).

The first one I followed the recipe - only used my almond flour baking mix. I also added a tsp of xanthan to help it hold together better. The second one I made sweet by leaving out the spices, adding more splenda and some cinnamon.

I'm going to try a different variety this afternoon by adding some cheddar cheese. I think these could make good crust for mini-pizzas, especially if you add parmesan or mozzarella. This recipe is so versatile - the possibilities are endless. I can't wait to get the muffin top pan I ordered so I can try 'em in that.

I'm not even bothered by the waffle shape though - in fact, I'm taking a couple to Wendy's with my church next Sunday night after services, so I can have a hamburger!

Sherrielee - I think you deserve a "Think Outside the Carb" award!! Thanks -

Jennie
size 24 /16/10
BP 155/93 - 121/82
http://www.boomspeed.com/thehopechest/TheWay.gif
Old 02-19-2003, 08:23 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dina43
I'm going to go buy a waffle maker!
Old 02-19-2003, 09:47 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Jebber
Stats: 183.6/168/135
WOE: Low Carb JUDDD
Start Date: 9/14/14
These sound too good to be true! Can't wait to try them!

What about leaving out the spices (or putting cinnamon in) and using the bread as a french toast??!! I tried to pork rind version, but I just can't handle pork rinds no matter how they are disguised. My mouth is watering thinking about the possibilities!!
Old 02-19-2003, 09:50 AM   #30

Gallery: Ricecakes
Stats: 190/163/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/25/02 - reinducted: 11/8/04
I am so anxious to try making these but I've had absoloutely no luck finding the soy flour and stuff for bake mix. I'm not much on improvising, esp. w/baked goods. I just don't cook them often but I found the Atkins pancake and waffle mix today. Could I use it basically the same way? Any ideas on adjustments I'd need to make?