Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2003, 09:49 AM   #151
ew1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ew1
Anyway to make these WITHOUT a waffle iron?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2003, 06:29 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilovethis
Stats: 223/214.5/140
Muffin tops

for those that have tried the muffin tops, what degrees did you set the oven on?, how long did you bake?, and how did they turn out? more like buns? or muffins? did you fill to the top or half way?

Maria
Old 04-16-2003, 06:53 PM   #153
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Sarmay
Stats: 299/261.8/150
WOE: WW Flex WI-Sunday
Start Date: March 2008
I just finished making these and they are delicious! I'm going to have to do something to stop eating them! They remind me more of a potatoe pancake than a hamburger bun, but I sure wouldn't mind using them for sandwiches. Instead of the buttermilk, I used heavy cream with a little vinegar in it, just because I had it, but not buttermilk. They still turned out good!

I made a few in a skillet, like pancakes. The rest in my waffle iron. Either way, they are good. I'm intrigued by using muffin top pans for them. Mmm . . . I can't wait until lunchtime tomorrow! I'm going to have a tuna salad sandwich! Thanks for this recipe!

[COLOR=red]Mini-goal: Activity points every day!
Short-term goal: 265 lbs - my 10%[/COLOR] * achieved!
[COLOR=Red]New short-term goal: 50 lbs gone[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Long-term goal: Get healthy and stay healthy! [/COLOR]
Total pounds lost (WW) [COLOR=Lime]32.4[/COLOR]!
Old 04-17-2003, 05:39 AM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Repairman
WOE: Optimal Diet
Quote:
Originally posted by ew1
Anyway to make these WITHOUT a waffle iron?
I cook mine on a George Foreman Grill.. They turn out perfect for hamburger buns and sandwiches. You have to raise the front to make it level so the batter doesn't run out.

Here's a picture of the last batch I made about a week ago..

Old 04-17-2003, 09:07 AM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyTwinsMom
WOE: LowCarb & Patience
Start Date: It's a fresh start everyday...!
Please add me to the list of those who LOVE sherrilee.

I finally gave in and bought a waffle maker at KMart for $19.99

I couldn't wait to try so I set myself up last night...

Let me just say [color=deeppink] THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!![/color]. Of course I had to sample them the different ways people have suggested. The first set came out a little small so I just tried one plain. Next I put peanut butter on one. Then I made a GRILLED CHEESE. I was in heaven. Had to pack the rest away or I would still be eating. Next time I'm going to try with the shredded cheese and little bit of pepper like Pammyjo sugguested on page 3 (i believe) of this thread. You have to check out the picture she posted. Can't wait to try those this weekend.

You are a genius, PLEASE....keep them coming. I can't wait to try the cornbread

Philly!!!!

Last edited by PhillyTwinsMom; 04-17-2003 at 09:09 AM..
Old 04-20-2003, 12:45 AM   #156
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: gonnalose
Stats: 260/252/160
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: restart 01/01/2007
I finally tried these yesterday. I made mine on the foreman grill and they came out great. I used oat flour instead of the bake mix and just added 1/2 tsp of baking soda. For the first batch I left out the "savory" spices and the 2nd batch I put in the spices and some shredded cheese. Both kinds taste great plain. This morning I used the sweet ones as waffles with sf syrup. For supper I used 2 savory ones as bread for a sandwich...very good. I also tried using a savory one for pizza....spread just a little sauce on it, topped with cheese and bacon and put in oven about 10 minutes. It was still kind of soft but I was able to pick it up and eat it with one hand. These certainly do have lots of uses.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:09 AM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mia Tortilla
Stats: Pregnant: let's not talk numbers!
Repairman,
Those look fantastic! How much batter did you use per bun? Do you know about how long they cooked? And are they about the size of a bun or a little smaller?
TIA for answering my questions. I only have a belgian waffle maker and it takes 3 Tbsp of batter per waffle. It would be great to use my GF grill.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:41 PM   #158
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: gonnalose
Stats: 260/252/160
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: restart 01/01/2007
I did mine on the Foreman grill. Be sure to prop up the front so it is level. I have the large size grill and used about 2 tbs batter and was able to cook two at a time. I cooked them a little over a minute and a half. As soon as they have brown stipes on top that means the bottom should be golden brown and it is time to remove them. They are about the size of a regular piece of bread and I got about 12 per receipe so the carb count would be about 1 1/2 carbs each.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:06 AM   #159
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: snit
WooHoo I had an egg mc something for breakfast!!

These were so easy, I put off trying them all this time. With summer coming I can have grilled burgers ON A BUN!!

Now that I have the bake mix made they will be even faster to make.

BLT's as soon as the good tomatoes are ready!!

Thanks, Sherri
Old 04-25-2003, 06:56 PM   #160
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sarabi
Sherrie, I'm a long-time lurker who just had to delurk to congratulate you on this recipe!

I went to KMart today to get a waffle iron. I got a Toastmaster family size (makes 4 waffles at one time) for about $20. It had nice small squares, unlike the Sunbeam that others complained about.

I followed the recipe except for substituting cream/lemon juice for the buttermilk. The batter was extremely stiff; I could have used an ice cream scoop to scoop it out. After some experimentation, I found that if I use a 1/8th cup to scoop the batter onto the iron, it makes exactly 18 nice-sized waffles. When I tried to keep it to two Tablespoons per waffle, they turned out much too small and made way too many.

The waffles were delicate, almost melted in my mouth. I put them in the refrigerator and can't wait to try them out on some sandwiches. These waffle-wiches are really going to fill a gap for us low-carbers!

If you come up with a sweet version...please share! I'll leave the experimenting to you. :-)
PCOS
Old 04-25-2003, 07:08 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrielee
Sarabi...thankyou, I'm glad you like the buns!

I sometimes make my pancake recipe into waffles, they are sweet and the same consistancy as the buns. Sometimes I use them as bread too, so you get a sweet bread taste! My grandma used to make a sweet bread that was to die for, and it's very similar to that! The recipe is under the title "Eat you heart out Aunt Jemima!"

Sherrie
Old 04-26-2003, 10:00 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miss eleni
I made these today using a George Foreman grill, and they turned out great! I used an ice cream scoop to pour the batter on the grill, and got 14 bun halves out of the batch. Also, I used 1 tablespoon buttermilk powder + 1/4 cup water in place of the liquid buttermilk.

Lisa
14/12/8
Old 05-04-2003, 10:42 AM   #163
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: spazcat
Stats: 220/125!!!/110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Nov 29 2001
I am making these today
Old 05-04-2003, 11:02 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stella0503
Stats: 209.5/156/140-150?
Start Date: 05/01/06
Sherrie,

Somewhere you stated that you poured these into your waffle iron from the food processor. My batter is too thick to pour. Do you perhaps melt your cream cheese before making these? Mine turn out great, but you sure couldn't pour them.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Most of the time I just spoon it out so I don't make a mess dripping it everywhere!

Sherrie
Old 05-04-2003, 06:28 PM   #166
artnymph

Gallery: artnymph
yay!!!

sherrilee you rock! i am just starting a lc lifestyle and have been freaking out because i thought i wouldnt be able to eat any of my favorite foods any more! i am also gluten intolerant so the fact that most of your recipes dont contain wheat products is also awesome!

i checked out you website of recipes and was curious if you have ever tried to substitute the vital wheat gluten in your tortilla recipe? i would love to try it, do you have any suggestions for substitution? i know that the gluten probably provides the consistancy required to make the tortillas work. mexican food is my favorite so not being able to have some kind of tortilla would be awful! i have already had to just cut it down to only corn tortillas because of the wheat allergy, and now that i am doing lc, i cant eat corn tortillas any more either!

if you can think of anything, please let me know!

thanks,
heather

Old 05-04-2003, 07:13 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

artnymph...

thanks!

I would substitute the vital wheat gluten with Soy Grits, you'll get more a corn type tortilla!

Sherrie
Old 05-05-2003, 10:48 AM   #168
artnymph

Gallery: artnymph
do you think i can have these on induction? i havent received my atkins book yet, and i was just curious. i am dieting through ediets.com, and they keep listing atkins bread on my meal plan, but i cant eat atkins bread because it has gluten in it. so i was wondering if i made these buns, if i could eat those instead? anyone know???

thanks,
heather

Old 05-05-2003, 11:27 AM   #169
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: feather319
Stats: started: 180 lowest:127 now:184 goal: 140
WOE: Ketogenic/Anabolic/Paleo
Start Date: April 2002 Reinducted 2009
I'm sure these are perfect for induction! Just keep your carbs under 20 because from what I've been reading, these taste so good I sure don't think I could stop. :-) he he. I can't wait to make this stuff. I bought the WPI and am going to make it this Friday when I get home from college! Bread, pancakes, waffles, pizza, crackers, wow! I just am so excited! If you get the tortilla recipe perfected, tell me how you made it! I use to love to spread Peanut butter on tortillas and miss it so much. This is definitely what I wish I could have had on induction a year ago.

Sherrielee, I just wanted to say thanks for this bread! Does it really taste like bread, pancakes, and waffles or does it have a little different taste to it? I don't really care if it does taste different, just curious.

Is there anyway we can combine all of the recipes and tweaks people have put together to make this stuff and other recipes. The thread is so long that it is hard to find all of the endless possiblities for this stuff. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2003, 06:02 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member

feather319...it reminds me very much of my grandmothers buttermilk bread. It's chewy like bread, and unlike the atkins rolls, it doesn't stick to your fingers! And you can toast them in the toaster just like you would those ready made frozen waffles!

Sherrie
Old 05-16-2003, 12:57 PM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ILoveFreedom
Start Date: Jan 29, 2003
bump
Old 05-18-2003, 02:32 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaLeeLolo
Stats: 240/225/150ish or just FIT!
WOE: Atkins - induction
Start Date: Apr 28. 2003/restart Dec 27/13
bump again

I really think I have to buy a waffle maker, since I am desparate for something to eat my meat (hamburgers, coldcuts, pizza toppings!!) with!
Old 05-18-2003, 03:09 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sueparl
dried buttermilk?

Ok, I'm confused. I can't seem to find full fat buttermilk---lowfat only. I did buy dried buttermilk mix, but I just realized that it's only got 1 gram of fat for what is the equivalent of 1/4 cup, so its even lower in fat than the liquid stuff in the supermarket. So what should I use: cream and lemon juice or vinegar? HELP

tia--Sue
Old 05-18-2003, 03:24 PM   #174

sueparl I could not find buttermilk so I just used heavy cream and it was good!!!
Old 05-18-2003, 03:25 PM   #175

By the way these things are awesome I have 2 each morning with a slice of ham and cheese I wave it and OMG
Old 05-19-2003, 05:21 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Xsurfrgrl
Stats: 136/131/125
Start Date: 01-04-10
AWESOME recipe - after reading all the posts, I just had to make this tonite! I followed the directions, but I used the dried buttermilk and my george foreman grill and they came out just fine! the only problem is that I have no idea how many calories/carbs/etc to put into fit day. I have a "custom food" already in there for "buckwheat pancakes" so I just clicked on it - figure its pretty close (for 2 buns I am assuming around 160 cals and 4 net carbs) I got about 14 buns in my batch. anyways, thanks for the great recipe - it's definitely a keeper!
Old 05-19-2003, 05:23 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Xsurfrgrl
Stats: 136/131/125
Start Date: 01-04-10
doh! just went back to first page - and there are the counts! I was pretty darn close tho.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:53 PM   #178
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: superslim
OMG

I went to Williams-Sonoma. They have this wafflemaker that has 3, round, perfect bun size molds. I WANT IT. But it cost $59. Yikes. But it's the perfect size! All the squares would then be "edged" in, if you know what I mean.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:06 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaLeeLolo
Stats: 240/225/150ish or just FIT!
WOE: Atkins - induction
Start Date: Apr 28. 2003/restart Dec 27/13
does everyone's waffley bread taste eggy?
Old 05-21-2003, 10:41 PM   #180
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: superslim
They're not eggy to me at all...especially piled with burger or sandwich fixings. I've had them just toasted with butter, too, for a snack..yummy!