Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2003, 10:12 AM   #91
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: karatejen
Yes...in a health food store.

I have been able to find most of what I need at the health food stores. I am so into trying the new recipes that I stop into any health food store I pass to become aquainted with the products they carry.

Heatlh food stores are my best friend. I used to feel like a fake when I went into them because I didn't even know what half the stuff was, but I feel like I belong now. I know what I like, don't like and what to ask for.

I order LC tortillas from netrition. They were great, but so far they are the only things I haven't been able to find locally. But I am still searching. Some stores say they are out and have them on order. I might try sherrilee's recipe and make them larger for tortillas. It appears the uses are endless for her wonder waffle bread.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2003, 10:14 AM   #92
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: karatejen
Yes...in a health food store.

I have been able to find most of what I need at the health food stores. I am so into trying the new recipes that I stop into any health food store I pass to become aquainted with the products they carry.

Heatlh food stores are my best friend. I used to feel like a fake when I went into them because I didn't even know what half the stuff was, but I feel like I belong now. I know what I like, don't like and what to ask for.

I order LC tortillas from netrition. They were great, but so far they are the only things I haven't been able to find locally. But I am still searching. Some stores say they are out and have them on order. I might try sherrilee's recipe and make them larger for tortillas. It appears the uses are endless for her wonder waffle bread.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:23 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenifer_in_CA
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/28/04
I'm so excited to try this recipe, but I've got a few questions:

Can someone give a review on how the 'buns' came out when you used a muffin top pan? How did they differ from the waffles? Were they A LOT different in texture?? I'm thinking that a muffin top pan would make the most sense, but I don't want to ruin the recipe if the waffle maker is a better way to cook them. ;-)

Thank you so much!

Oh, and if the muffin top was good, how long did you cook them and at what temperature?
Old 03-07-2003, 09:55 AM   #94
wingie

Gallery: wingie
You can make snack crackers too.

I've made these a few times now and love them! I also tried something new. I made a batch with the sharp cheddar cheese, like Pammy did, and baked them on a cookie sheet in the oven.
When they were done, I let them cool and then cut a few of them into Cheez-it size squares. I put them on a cookie sheet (no oil or spray) and put them in the oven on a very low temp and baked them til they dried out. (I turned them over after the first 20 minutes.)
They made pretty darn good cheddar cheese snack crackers.

Next I'm going to try cookies. I'm going to leave out the spices and add more Splenda, a dash of vanilla, some softened butter and a cup of unsweetened coconut and bake them on a cookie sheet. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Old 03-07-2003, 10:03 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
I've made them in the waffle iron, on the stovetop like a pancake, and in the muffin top pans...

The waffle iron is the quickest, and makes them the most breadlike.

The pancakes were very good... reminded me of potato pancakes, and worked well as bread on a sandwich, but they didn't spread like regular pancakes... I had to squish them flatter, and it took FOREVER to cook them.

I tried using the batter for deep frying onion rings, so I thinned it out a little more using a little extra buttermilk... what was left over from the deep frying experiment I put in muffin top pans and baked at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. They came out a little more dense & almost eggy... I don't know if it's because of the pan using much more batter per bun, or if it was the extra buttermilk... I'll try them again next time I mix up a batch.

So far, the waffle iron has MY vote for ease of use & most bread-like texture.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:03 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
I can't believe these tasted so good! Like everyone else, I tweaked the recipe to fit what I had in the house, and I made breakfast waffles out of them. For one person (4 little waffles) here's what I used:
3 oz cream cheese
1 egg
1 t splenda
1/4 t baking powder
1/2 t vanilla
3 T soy flour (actually, I used 2 T soy and 1 T hemp flour, just to try the hemp flour--boy, did it stink before it cooked, but you couldn't really taste its weirdness in the waffles)
3 T half and half

Much to my surprise, it worked!
Old 03-08-2003, 10:11 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MelaGal
Quote:
wingnut: Next I'm going to try cookies. I'm going to leave out the spices and add more Splenda, a dash of vanilla, some softened butter and a cup of unsweetened coconut and bake them on a cookie sheet. I'll let you know how they turn out.

How did the cookies turn out?

~A
Old 03-08-2003, 10:13 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MelaGal
Quote:
wingnut: Next I'm going to try cookies. I'm going to leave out the spices and add more Splenda, a dash of vanilla, some softened butter and a cup of unsweetened coconut and bake them on a cookie sheet. I'll let you know how they turn out.

~A
Old 03-08-2003, 01:56 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laceysaunders
Sherrie
Sheesh
Don't know what exactly I did wrong, but made the "rolls" this morning, and they did not turn out as I had thought they would!
First of all, I purchased a new waffle maker, as I didn't have one, and then mixed up the batter, following the original recipe, and tried putting just a little over a tblsp of batter in the waffle maker, and they came out very soft, and fell apart!

Thought maybe I needed more batter so I put more in, and they stuck to the waffle maker!! Getting the picture???
haha!!
Would say it just wasn't my morning, but the muffins I made turned out great, so???
Any suggestions from anyone, would be appriciated!! I will re read the posts and see if I can come up with anything, but
HELP!!
Thx
Lacey

Oh yes, they had a great flavor!! so I will try again, but would like to do them correctly!!
weight up to
235, and gained
back the 50 lbs I lost!
HELP!!!!
Finally back to 214
with weight watchers
again!
Old 03-08-2003, 05:00 PM   #100
bevc

Gallery: bevc
I like some of the others tried the buns in a waffle iron. I can say without a doubt me and the waffle iron were not in sink. I made a big mess but they still tasted so good that I had to try again. This time I used my mini quiche pans. I put about 2 tablespoons of batter in each mini pan. I cooked them for about 14 minutes at 375. They came out too pretty to eat, but I ate them anyway. They were the perfect size for a hamburger patty. My husband was really impressed and this is saying a lot since he was a very big bread eater. Sherrielee you are wonderful! You have given us a keeper!! Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Old 03-08-2003, 08:29 PM   #101
wingie

Quote:
Originally posted by MelaGal

~A
I didn't use any butter, but I did add extra Splenda, vanilla and unsweetened coconut. They are wonderful, but very thin. I'm not sure why they didn't puff up a little like the buns do. I think maybe my batter was too thin.
I'm going to give it another shot though, cause they are yummie!
I ate three of them right out of the oven, then froze the rest before I got carried away!

Old 03-08-2003, 08:31 PM   #102
wingie

Quote:
Originally posted by laceysaunders
Sherrie
Sheesh
Don't know what exactly I did wrong, but made the "rolls" this morning, and they did not turn out as I had thought they would!
First of all, I purchased a new waffle maker, as I didn't have one, and then mixed up the batter, following the original recipe, and tried putting just a little over a tblsp of batter in the waffle maker, and they came out very soft, and fell apart!

Thought maybe I needed more batter so I put more in, and they stuck to the waffle maker!! Getting the picture???
haha!!
Would say it just wasn't my morning, but the muffins I made turned out great, so???
Any suggestions from anyone, would be appriciated!! I will re read the posts and see if I can come up with anything, but
HELP!!
Thx
Lacey

Oh yes, they had a great flavor!! so I will try again, but would like to do them correctly!!

I had the same problems with my waffle iron. Now I bake them in the oven on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam. They turn out perfect.

Old 03-09-2003, 10:09 AM   #103
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: ellie125
Stats: Size 18/12/10
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: January 03
I had the same problem as Lacey, they tasted good but had major issues with the waffle maker. I tried to round ones but came out very uneven and wierd looking plus stuck even after spraying with pam. I think the problem is the waffle maker, I got the sunbeam from walmart for 9.99. I think the grid is way too big and it doesn't seem to cook evenly. The bottom was a deep golden brown and the top looked terrible and seemed under cooked. I am going to return it and buy a better quality one with a smaller grid and try again.

Wingnut - How do you bake yours in the oven? What temp, how much, and how long??

Also have a question about sherrilee's pancake recipe, is the 1/4 cup atkins mix correct? My batter was very thin and it made about 21-22 very very thin pancakes that were more like crepes. Tasted okay but doesn't seem like something is right. I printed the recipe from her recipe site.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-09-2003, 10:37 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Ellie
I do believe the sale of the Sunbeam waffle makers went up considerable after Sherrie posted her "roll" recipe! That is what I bought also and I do not like it at all!! Threw the box out however so doubt they will take it back!

I had the same thought you did, that it very possibly might be the waffle maker!! I, of course, went with the cheapo one because figured the only time I would use it was witht the rolls!!
HHHmmmm!!! Let me know what happens when you take it back and get another one!! I just noticed that Target has a four waffle maker for only $14.99 and sure wish I would have waited!!
Lacey
Old 03-09-2003, 11:03 AM   #105
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: ellie125
Stats: Size 18/12/10
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: January 03
Lacey - If you bought it at Walmart they are really good about taking things back. Just tell them that it is defective. It is worth a try anyway. I bought that one because it was the only one they had. I also was going to get a George Forman Grill, the smaller one and they were out of that too. This is been happening a lot a Walmart, they are always out of stock. Guess that is what happens when your #1

Ellie
Old 03-09-2003, 12:38 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrielee
I think I figured out the problem with the waffles some of you are having. The other day I bought a lowfat buttermilk and it doesn't thicken the batter as well as the full fat buttermilk. So My solution was that I added a couple tbsp more of the atkins bake mix and that thickened it right up.

The reason they are not getting done is the mix is not reaching all the way up into the waffle iron cavities. It took me a few mintues to figure that out, when I added another tbsp of batter to the iron for each waffle, they came out perfectly.

So, if you are using lowfat buttermilk, add a couple more tbsp of the atkins mix! And use 2 tbsp of batter per waffle, that will fix the problem!

Sherrie

Last edited by sherrielee; 03-09-2003 at 12:40 PM..
Old 03-09-2003, 04:16 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Sherrie
I had just about come to the same conclution! I used buttermilk mix, and it was old and had dried out so much that I had to put it in my mini processor to break up the pieces and I do believe that was part or all of my problem!! My room mate wanted waffles this morning, and so we got out the new waffle maker and he made regular waffles and I used your pancake mix and the waffles came out great!! Both of the mixes, so it isn't the "cheap" waffle maker, but the mix and the "mixer(me)" haha!!
I will be trying the savory buns again! I had thought of using the George Foreman grill also and see that Shawneesioux has already done that!! Good for her!!
The pancake mix was wonderful, so I am ready to expierment again!!
I made fudge walnut protein bars today and they didn't turn out very well either, so will just have to keep trying!!
Lacey
Old 03-10-2003, 11:00 AM   #108
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Jebber
Stats: 188.8/181.6/135
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Forever starting 6/1/14
Bump.....Hey...this should be a sticky!
Old 03-10-2003, 11:39 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SHinOK
Start Date: April 2000
Had some of these savory "miracle waffles" under Dottie's Tuna Un-Casserole for dinner last night. It tasted even better than my mom's creamed tuna on toast that I ate all my life. I toasted the waffles until they were extra crispy, and they were a perfect "platform" for the creamy tuna mixture.

Have also learned that my daughters LOVE the sweeter waffles. They like them plain with a schmear of butter--no syrup needed!

TWO more kudos for these wonderful waffles, Sherrielee!!
Old 03-10-2003, 12:46 PM   #110
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Find the post on using your George Forman grill for these..

I have done both with wafflemaker and with George...The waffles
were crunchier...when you toasted them, but George is more
breadlike....I just used the whey protein and the oat flour when
I did it...maybe will try the almond flour recipe next time...

There are lots of possibilities..I agree..
Old 03-11-2003, 11:25 AM   #111
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: KarenG
Stats: EEEK/Getting there/Yay!
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin, Dr. Groves
Start Date: 9/24/07
bumping off page 2!
Old 03-14-2003, 10:42 PM   #112

Gallery: RoseWaddles
Stats: 256/123/135 ~ 24/4/6 ~ 5'6" 46 years old
WOE: Lower Fat/Moderate Carbs~ RNY 11/6/06
Start Date: November 2006
bump
Old 03-14-2003, 10:45 PM   #113

bump
Old 03-14-2003, 10:51 PM   #114

bump
Old 03-16-2003, 08:03 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilovethis
Stats: 223/214.5/140
I have a question, I appologize if it's already been asked ( I tried reading through all the thread)

1. If I don't have Atkins bake mix, can I use another brand? LIke Keto bake mix.

2. If I have a sandwich/snack maker can I use that instead of the waffle maker?

thanks
Maria
Old 03-16-2003, 08:06 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilovethis
Stats: 223/214.5/140
I have a question, I appologize if it's already been asked ( I tried reading through all the thread)

1. If I don't have Atkins bake mix, can I use another brand? LIke Keto bake mix.

2. If I have a sandwich/snack maker can I use that instead of the waffle maker?

thanks
Maria
Old 03-17-2003, 07:07 AM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WomanOfGod
Stats: Size 18/1X to size 12/10
WOE: HCG My Way Baby ~ Drops/Pellets
Start Date: Starting over July 8 2012!
Using Another Brand Bake Mix

Hello "Ilovethis"

Just to let you know that I didn't have any of the Atkins Bake Mix when I read this thread. I had 2 cans of the GNC Soy Bake Mix. I have made these over and over again and even with using another Bake Mix? THEY ARE WONDERFUL!

Sherrilee thank you for sharing your "GIFT"

Marcia
Old 03-17-2003, 07:08 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Hello "Ilovethis"

Just to let you know that I didn't have any of the Atkins Bake Mix when I read this thread. I had 2 cans of the GNC Soy Bake Mix. I have made these over and over again and even with using another Bake Mix? THEY ARE WONDERFUL!

Marcia
Old 03-17-2003, 07:10 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Hello "Ilovethis"

Marcia
Old 03-17-2003, 07:10 AM   #120
Major LCF Poster!

Hello "Ilovethis"

Marcia