Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2003, 09:36 AM   #31
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: TRACEY
Quote:
Originally posted by JEBP
These sound too good to be true! Can't wait to try them!

What about leaving out the spices (or putting cinnamon in) and using the bread as a french toast??!! I tried to pork rind version, but I just can't handle pork rinds no matter how they are disguised. My mouth is watering thinking about the possibilities!!
Joyce,

I think that would work very well. The batter is exactly the consistency of pancake batter. Not sure about frying it, but if you put in the muffing top pan and baked at 350 for 15-20 minutes, they should be very close to french toast or pancakes.

Great idea, BTW. I think I may make a batch like this for quick AM breakfasts!!

Tracy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2003, 11:03 AM   #32
Kimley

Gallery: Kimley
What is a muffin top pan and where can you get it.

Old 02-19-2003, 11:49 AM   #33
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: hairbender
OMG I just made some of these and gosh Shereilee....they are so good...dh is in heaven....wow.....wow....now Ive got a question...you said they are 1 carb per bun...is that with 2 waffles.....is equal to 1 bun...???dh made a taco out of it and it was sooooo good...he said heck with buying the LC tortilla shells....thanks you are a genius....sara
Old 02-19-2003, 12:05 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrielee
hairbender....

There's 17 carbs in the whole recipe, so divide that up by how ever many waffles you get.

I got 18 round waffles from the recipe, so 1 carb per waffle.
I found that if I put only 1 large tablespoon of batter on the waffle maker center, then it spreads out perfectly to make a round waffle instead of the square. Less is better if you're trying to get a circle waffle!

I just bought a 4 waffle maker, and boy that cuts the cooing time too! K-Mart has some nice 4 waffle makers for 19.99!

Sherrie

Last edited by sherrielee; 03-01-2003 at 04:45 PM..
Old 02-19-2003, 01:17 PM   #35
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Oh I see..gosh I made mine to big....I have a good waffle maker....dh wants them for tortilla shells....but still they would almost be less carbs making them bigger rather than buying the LC tortillas....thanks...sara
Old 02-19-2003, 01:26 PM   #36
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I have another question.....I have the soy flour and the protein powder.....Is protein powder and soy protein powder the same thing....?????now I have to run to town to get somemore creamcheese....Sherielee started me on something new.....I wonder also about pizza crust and I want to try my new muffin top pans out....got to get to town....sara
Old 02-19-2003, 02:10 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SandyJ
Gettingsmaller..

How many muffin top's did you get with one batch?
Old 02-19-2003, 09:40 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
If you don't have the soy powder for the recipe, use 1/4 cup of almond flour and 1/4 cup of either soy protein powder or whey protein powder or vital wheat gluten. Any of these combos will work with the almond flour for this recipe.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:11 AM   #39
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Sandy,

I made a batch w/ the muffin top pan. Filled each section up to about 1/2 an inch from the top. It made 9. So I got 4 top and bottom buns, + an extra. I don't think I would make them much thinner, because they were perfect for my hamburger from Wendys yesterday.

I have so many ideas for this recipe. I am going to make a batch w/sugar and spenda only for quick breakfast pancakes (heat and eat). I am also going to try making a toaster pizza on one using it like an english muffin. I am also dreaming of grilled cheese, ham and chees, frisco, etc. sandwiches. And of using this as the crust for the deep dish pizza.

Garlic bread also.

Yum, yum, yum

Tracy
Old 02-20-2003, 03:04 AM   #40
tina140

Gallery: tina140
I don't have a waffle iron. Do you think a snack master would work? It's kinda like a waffle iron but makes 4 triangular shaped whatever you make.

Old 02-20-2003, 05:01 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dina43
I purchased a waffle maker last night and made these this morning....had egg mcmuffins.
So very good. Thank you for sharing.

I bet they would be great with some garlic added to the mix.....Atkins meatballs, some cheese and onion and peppers, a meatball grinder.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:00 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheryl5
Tracey,

You said you only filled the muffin top pan about 1/2 inch. The compartments in my pan are only about 1/2 inch deep total. Are there different kinds of muffin top pans?
Old 02-20-2003, 12:31 PM   #43
RecipeGal

Gallery: RecipeGal
New here...

Hi!

I'm new here but decided to try these because of all of the rave reviews.

I don't have a waffle maker or a muffin top pan. I tried some on a cookie sheet and made them like Revolution Rolls. They came out kind of crispy and I liked them this way the least.

I also tried them like a pancake in a cast iron skillet with plenty of oil. They came out a better texture (for sandwiches)--kinda spongy and pliable and you could toast it if you wanted to. It held together very well.

I also have a sandwich maker thing like someone asked about earlier (the ones that make the triangles). These came out the best (I thought) although it took about 1/4 cup batter for each triangle. Also, triangles are not good for hamburgers. HOWEVER, I left the spices out of the batter and these will make EXCELLENT french toast or be good sprinkled with cinnamon and splenda.

These had a great flavor--NOTHING like the revolution rolls. I could not stomach those.

Thanks for a great recipe and endless possibilities! Can't wait to get a waffle maker!

RecipeGal

Old 02-21-2003, 02:03 AM   #44
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheryl5
Tracey,

You said you only filled the muffin top pan about 1/2 inch. The compartments in my pan are only about 1/2 inch deep total. Are there different kinds of muffin top pans?
LOL, Sorry, I guess I am no good at measuring by eye. I did not fill them to the top. I filled them pretty full, though. Sorry, I will actually measure next time I do them(which will be over the weekend). I did get 9 out of the recipe, if that helps

Tracy
Old 02-22-2003, 05:36 AM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: JazzyV
Stats: 261.0/225.5/189.5
WOE: Low Glycemic Carbs/Low Fat
Start Date: 5/14/00, Restart 6/29/09
Bump. I think I'll try these today in my muffin top pans !
Old 02-22-2003, 07:28 AM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
sandwich maker

Sherrielee you are wonderful!!!!!!! I just made these using my sandwich maker ( i never did like this machine and now love it)they were great. The little triangles. I even made a pizza kind with a little batter,cheese .sauce,1 slice of pepperonia,1 blk. olive and a dash of garlic powder&oregano. This was to die for. I'm such a happy camper. You keep of the good work!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2003, 10:12 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kris B
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 19, 2001
I tried these and they were great! Wayyyy eaiser than the revolution rolls. I can't figure out though how you got 1 Tbs. to make a decent size portion? I got 9 pieces out of my batch and they were about the same size as a regular piece of bread. Do I need to thin out my batter? I also came up with more carbs in the recipe. Mine has 20.1 per batch so for me that ended up being 2.2gr for each piece. Did I misfigure something? Here's my breakdown...
8 oz. cream cheese 6.4
3 eggs 1.8
1pkt. splenda 0.5
1/4c. soy flour 5.0
1/4c egg & milk protein 1.0
1/2 tsp. bak powder 1.0
1/4 tsp garlic pow 0.5
1/4 tsp. onion pow 0.5
2 tsp. parsley 0.1
1/4c. buttermilk 3.3

I know I adjusted the ingrediants a bit but mostly I used less of spices and things, so any ideas why mine come out so much higher in carbs? How large are your pieces coming out?
Help and Thanks!
Kris
Old 02-23-2003, 08:28 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovinlowcarb
Sherries Buns

Sherrie I made your low carb buns tonight and I really really think my husband and I will now be able to stay on a low carb diet forever both me and him think they are great, we have tried the Atkins diet before but he is a big bread eater so I think your buns are really going to help a lot. My son has recently been put on a gluten free and casein free diet and we are having trouble finding a bread recipe for him do you think if I leave out the cream cheese and use soy milk instead of buttermilk they would taste the same. I would appreciate any information you can give me. Thanks 7
Old 02-24-2003, 01:12 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gettingsmaller
lovinlowcarb, The cream cheese is what makes it hold together and more "breadlike." There are sites and newsgroups that cater to people that are allergic to dairy and gluten. They have a lot of good recipes too. You might start out by doing a Google search for "celiac" which should turn up lots of sites with information and recipes. I would substitute the milk in recipes with coconut or other nut milks instead of soy milk.

Last edited by gettingsmaller; 02-24-2003 at 03:43 AM..
Old 02-24-2003, 05:55 AM   #50
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: PammyJo
Stats: 65 lbs lost since 06/05/05
WOE: Weight Watchers Flex program
Add another happy camper to the list who have tried this awesome recipe.

I made them the first time according to directions and they were good. I tried a few of the cooking methods that some of you have tried....baking in oven....frying in skillet....and the waffle iron. Hands down....the waffle maker wins.

I bought an inexpensive 2 square waffle maker at Walmart for under $10.

I also played with the recipe a little on the second batch. I added a cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese to the ingrediants....omitted the parsley and added a 1/2 teaspoon of fine ground black pepper. I also made a more substantial waffle by adding 2 1/2 - 3 Tbsps of batter instead of the one. I know it upped the carbs per waffle....but if you have the carbs to spare...I say go for it.

I also tried toasting these in toaster, but I don't think they toast up good like you would think they would.

When talking about these to others....I've been calling it waffle bread or cheddar waffle bread, rather than buns.

So far, I've had these with smoked turkey with Jack Daniels Horseradish mustard and as a Hot Ham and Cream Cheese sandwich and last but not least....I bought a Jr Bacon cheeseburger at Wendy's....tossed their bun and used my delicious waffle bread.

These are definately keepers and what I like is that without altering too far from the original recipe....you can change the flavor by adding different spices, herbs or some different cheeses to the batter. Don't omit the cream cheese, though.

These are definately a lot easier to make and better tasting than the revolution rolls.

Thanks Sherrie

Last edited by PammyJo; 02-24-2003 at 05:59 AM..
Old 02-26-2003, 03:26 AM   #51
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: PammyJo
Stats: 65 lbs lost since 06/05/05
WOE: Weight Watchers Flex program
This is a pic of the latest batch that I made. I followed Sherrielee's basic recipe, except that I omitted the parsley and added 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper and 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar. I got 12 waffle slices out of this batch, but I used more than 1 Tbsp, too.

[COLOR=blue]Sherrielee!
I love you[/COLOR]

Last edited by PammyJo; 02-26-2003 at 03:30 AM..
Old 02-26-2003, 06:15 AM   #52
tina140

I can't find the baking mix anywhere! I really wanna try this!

Old 02-26-2003, 06:17 AM   #53
tina140

I can't find the baking mix anywhere! I really wanna try this!

Old 02-26-2003, 07:34 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tigerlilyrose
Stats: 335/135/145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1-10-2002
Pammyjo!

Why do yours look so much better than mine? Maybe it's because you used the cheddar cheese! I'm not really thrilled with the taste of the plain milk and egg protein powder I used in my no soy bake mix. I think maybe next time I will use designer vanilla whey protein and almond meal and maybe try some soy protein isolate powder. What do you good veteran lc cooks think of that combination for the bake mix?
Old 02-26-2003, 07:34 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tigerlilyrose
Stats: 335/135/145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 1-10-2002
Pammyjo!

Why do yours look so much better than mine? Maybe it's because you used the cheddar cheese! I'm not really thrilled with the taste of the plain milk and egg protein powder I used in my no soy bake mix. I think maybe next time I will use designer vanilla whey protein and almond meal and maybe try some soy protein isolate powder. What do you good veteran lc cooks think of that combination for the bake mix?
Old 02-26-2003, 07:32 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
I made these this afternoon to have with hamburgers for dinner. They smelled so good that I buttered one and had it right away. All I can say is YUMMY!!! They are wonderful. We've been buying Atkins bread for sandwiches but it is 3 carbs a slice. It's good but also very pricey ($5.00 a loaf). This is a great find. Thanks Sherrilee . Tomorrow I want to try to make some sweet ones.

Beverly
Old 02-26-2003, 09:34 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: superslim
I shouldn't have...

but I made these twice in two days! I went out and bought a waffle maker, but it makes Belgian waffles, so it has the deeper holes. My husband actually likes them, and I love them....they're going to make me go over the 20 carb/day though--yikes! I have to practice self control!

Any idea how to tweak them to make chocolate waffles, for a dessert?
Old 02-27-2003, 05:41 AM   #58
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Drew
Stats: 62 LOST!
THESE ARE FREAKIN AWESOME!!

We made the first batch just as you said. I tried it with roast on it. VERY GOOD! We also made the the mix too. The next batch we made we cut out the extra Splenda so it wouldn’t be so sweet. They were really good too!

OK NOW FOR THE WOHOO BREAKFAST ONES!! We took out the:
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp parsley flakes

And added 1 tsp cinnamon and OMG!! I had them as waffles this morning!! They were so good!! I just popped them in the toaster oven this morning to reheat and make a little firmer. *drool*

We ended up making 3 batches last night!! My mother went out and bought a Belgian waffle maker that made two at a time. Works GREAT!!! I think they ended up taking about 3 minutes a piece. Ours came out perfectly round!!

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!! You are my hero!!

Last edited by Drew; 02-27-2003 at 05:44 AM..
Old 02-27-2003, 07:42 AM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: flojconk
I made mine according to the original recipe (leaving out the sweetener), but did not get out the processor. I just used my electric hand mixer. No problem. They were wonderful. I can't wait to try a sweetened cinnamon version. How about strawberry shortcake? If anyone tries a chocolate version, please post it.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:28 AM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pensgirl
I am confused about the carb count. Can someone please clear that up? Thanks! I can't wait to try these, they look and sound fabulous!