Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Good Friday or Sat I am going to make this recipe again and I might do your tweak Angie... Your ilstrations are WONDERFUL!!! I only need 1 loaf or rolls since there is only going to be the 3 of us but I might make 2 loaves and freeze the other. I did one loaf into cubes the last time and froze to use for Jennifer's stuffing recipe... Just might pull that out to use it since I am going to smoke a turkey along with a Ham for Easter.

SO nice we can come up with our own LC Tweaks...

HUGS
Christina

Last edited by mac24312; 04-04-2009 at 05:06 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Thanks Christina! I've yet to make the single loaf variation and am really wondering about it now. I might try that one next, but for now I'm swimming in LC bread and it will have to wait a while. I also chunked up a loaf of bread and threw it in the freezer, I'll have to pull it out for stuffing too! Thanks for the idea! I wonder if the loaves will sink less with the single loaf variation because there is less VWG? That will be a great next experiment.

Happy LC Tweaking!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #243
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Grandma27
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Angie, your bread and rolls look fantastic! I attached a pic of the bread loaves I baked using Carbalose flour as a sub for the oat flour. I've read some of you do not like the taste of Carbalose and I hadn't experienced that until now. The bread did have a strong aftertaste for some reason. Since you can 'mask' it with mustard, etc I'm wondering if using your idea of molasses, Angie, would help? I'll have try it but if I'm adding the carbs for molasses I might as well use the oat flour.
I also make Carbquik raised dough hamburger and hot dog buns, breadsticks and dinner rolls (recipe with pics is in the recipe section) and do not have the 'taste' problem. Hmmm........ No success with a loaf bread recipe yet though.

[COLOR="Red"]Just a special thanks to everyone on this thread [/COLOR]- I have been reading and using the recipes on this entire site for a long time and I decided I needed to contribute as well. Bake on!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_9750.jpg (47.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 04-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Grandma27 - thanks! Your bread loaves look wonderful as well! I had a BBQ on Sunday and served regular white buns to the non-LC'ers and had these buns for my burger. Everyone kept asking about my buns! DH had 2 burgers with white buns then saw my burger and asked where I was hiding the buns. He had another burger with my bun and said he liked them better than the cheap white ones (he said he wished he'd eaten all of the burgers with my buns). I don't notice any funny taste with the recipe as I posted above, they have a very good flavor and texture - no off taste at all. They taste like a very light whole wheat bread. I only put a small dab of blackstrap molasses (I like blackstrap best because it is the most concentrated and has the least # of carbs). I think it really made this bread taste and brown better. I tossed the buns in a ziplock bag and tossed them in the fridge and I think they had a better texture/flavor the next day. I've never used carbalose/carbquick flours, maybe the aftertaste is coming from that?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 AM   #245
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Grandma, what beautiful loaves you have there! Well done! I must work out the nutritional analysis for you with Carbalose flour. Did you skip using any oat flour at all and just subbed Carbalose and flax seed meal? Thanks!

I personally don't notice a horrible aftertaste with Carbalose - however, for those that do, maybe adding 1/2 cup grated strong Cheddar cheese to the ingredients would work. Just a thought - Cheese bread. I think molasses could also work - use a tablespoon.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Grandma27, if you're looking for a loaf recipe, I would previously have suggested you look at Kevinpa's just a simple white bread thread (which can be found in his recipes sticky for this forum)--however, he reports that he is perfecting a new and better loaf recipe and will be posting it soon, so I would reccomend that you keep an eye out for that.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:23 AM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning all!

Happy Blessed Easter..getting ready to make this bread again!

HUGS!
Old 04-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Easter! I am making bread pudding from this latest leftover bread loaf, I'll let you all know how it turns out (I LOVE bread pudding!!!).
Old 04-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PLEASE do Angie...Happy Easter to you GF...

I just made your version of the LC Bread..I was busy with my 4 year old and forgot the vanilla but its the softest and great tasting bread I have had so far!! TY!! I LOVE bread pudding and if yours turns out I might make your version..lol

HUGS
Christina
Old 04-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

The bread pudding came out ok, not fantastic. I'll need to tweak this recipe a bit more, but it does have potential!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #251
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Grandma27
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Angie, maybe I wasn't clear but I think the 'taste' is coming from the Carbalose not the molasses. I am going to try it again with molasses to see if it's enough to mask it. Even my husband the human garbage disposal noticed it.
Jen, I did replace all the oat flour with Carbalose. Other than that I used the same ingredients - wheat bran and flax meal.
CreekWatcher, I have seen Kevinpa's sticky and he does some YUMMY stuff. You're right, I need to try his recipe but I don't have the resistant wheat starch yet.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
Hot Cross Buns -- A great Easter treat! I added a couple of extra spoonfuls of diabetisweet brown sugar substitute, a teaspoon of cinnamon, a half teaspoon of nutmeg and a quarter teaspoon of allspice to the dough, along with a handful of currents. After they came out of the oven, I let them cool a little and dipped them in Jen's recipe for vanilla whey frosting from Splendid Low-Carb Desserts. I suppose if I'd been patient and let the frosting harden a little bit more, I could have made crosses on them, but they tasted great anyway.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #253
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh wow, Oliveoyl - you continue to amaze me with your creativity. Why didn't I think of that!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: missymagoo12
Stats: 235/225/145
WOE: stellastyle,atkins
Start Date: april 2004
i have to reprint this out- i lost my recipe. sue
Old 05-26-2009, 06:55 AM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bumping to remind LC people of this..

HUGS!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: litehousepat
DH is the breadmaker in this family and on Memorial Day picnic He made the Good Bread Recipe Made 1 loaf and rest in Hamburger buns Delish!
Pat
Old 06-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Jennifer- God Bless You! I have tried maybe 10 different bread recipes, and yours is the first one I actually really like!! Thank you so much for this recipe!

I made mine in the bread machine, and thought I needed to double the ingredients for a 2 lb. loaf, but I was very wrong! Next time I will stick with your measurements cause that was the biggest loaf of LC bread I ever saw. I have to cut the slices in half!
Old 06-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #258
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pat: That's really great that your husband is a good bread baker. My youngest son, Jonathan, also enjoys baking.

I'll admit, Sue, I keep forgetting about this bread recipe. I need to experiment with it again sometime and see what else we can do with it. Meantime other people on this thread seem to have more energy than me in that regard. I'm glad about that. I think I have spent too many years in the kitchen!

Miboje - thank you - wow! Can't say I really appreciated this recipe properly until other people discovered it, so thank you too.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

P.S.

Christina, thank you!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #260
Major LCF Poster!

DH has been complaining about not having any bread/buns so I made a batch of buns last night. I tweaked this recipe a bit more and I have to say this is my favorite version yet. I've been avoiding gluten (feel like it hasn't been treating me right lately), but thought I'd try some LC bread again to see what happens. Anyway, here are my tweaks. I made 12 good sized hamburger buns and 2 hot dog buns from this dough. FYI - I kneaded this dough for almost 20 minutes in my Kitchenaid - this dough needs a pretty long knead time in order to be workable (form buns). These buns didn't sink either, and aren't really chewy - the texture and taste is just awesome.

1 cup water + 3 TBS (295 mL) (I used 97 degree filtered water)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (45 mL)
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten (300 mL)
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour (150 mL)
1/2 cup ground salba seeds (chia) (125 mL)
1/4 cup buckwheat flour (50 mL)
4 tsp bread machine yeast (20 mL) (I used rapid rise)
1/8 tsp pure stevia powder
1 tbsp granulated sugar (15 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
2 tsp baking powder (10 mL)
1 tsp blackstrap molasses

ETA: these buns rose for 30 minutes, baked at 350 for 20 minutes on middle rack (I had them on the bottom rack and almost burned the bottoms - the bottom of my oven is extremely hot though.

Last edited by BikerAng; 07-06-2009 at 10:17 AM..
Old 07-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Angie, you are a star!

Angie has a reputation for being spot on, so I believe we can embrace this new version. Sounds awesome!

I've never eaten chia seeds. It's amazing that your hamburger buns did not sink at all and how many you made, including hot dog buns! I had no idea one could knead the low-carb dough for that long. That is very interesting to me.

So unselfish of you to provide for your hubby's bread needs, when you can't indulge. Your hubby is one lucky guy!

Maybe you will be the one to come up with a low-carb, gluten-free bread. I have something I need to try out and was promising Lauren, but have not gotten around to it. Hopefully, I can do that soon, but if it does not work, then I'm basically stumped.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Awe, thanks Jennifer!

I had never heard of chia seeds either (except for chia pets ) and saw some threads on them but never really paid a lot of attention. Then I saw them at the store and thought, why not - they are high in omega 3's and I don't really care for the taste of flax. I think these chia seeds (Salba) really give the bread an amazing texture and are chock full of healthy stuff. The crust is shiny, brown, and smooth, and the inside is moist (but not eggy/mushy) and has an amazing crumb. DH loves this WOE but gets bummed out when we're at BBQ's and doesn't have any "legal" buns (so he just eats a high carb one then complains how cruddy he feels). I ate a bun this morning, I made an egg sandwich, and it was amazing. I still feel fine, so maybe I'm not having gluten issues (could have been something else I was reacting to?). This is by far the best low carb bread I've ever had, thanks Jennifer for coming up with such an amazing and versatile recipe!!! I'll take some pics and post later.

Gluten free bread is a major challenge. I may tinker with it some day, but really to achieve a lighter/fluffier bread some sort of starch is needed - and that makes it pretty carby. Something to mull over though!

Last edited by BikerAng; 07-06-2009 at 12:06 PM..
Old 07-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #263
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm with you on that. I'm not too crazy about flax either. I'm going to order chia seeds next. Hope Netrition carries them.

I hope and pray that you are going to be okay with the gluten. Gluten-free flours are usually pretty carby as you say. It is a real challenge to stay away from gluten, but not impossible.

You are making me so hungry with your description of this bread. I'd love to see the photos, as I'm sure others would too, when you get the time again, Angie. Yum! I think you are onto something better than the basic recipe.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

Here's a picture. The chia seeds are bascially flavorless, which is a total bonus! I purchased the white variety (there is a black variety too, but those would be very visible in baked goods).

ETA: This is a picture of them taken directy out of the fridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LCBreadwChia.jpg (90.9 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by BikerAng; 07-07-2009 at 09:49 AM..
Old 07-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #265
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Angie, those hamburgers and the hot dog bun look great! They also look wholewheaty and healthy too, which we know they are. That is very interesting about the different chia seeds. I will have to look out for them and get some. I think I need to order online though. Thanks again for sharing on this thread. You are very talented.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #266
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Jennifer! They are very soft and light, not super dense like some whole wheat breads can be. I found chia seeds (they are actually called Salba on the bag) at Central Market (not sure if you have that chain of super markets in your area). I'm sure Whole Foods would probably have them too. They were in a refrigerated section and I store them in the fridge (and grind the seeds right before using them).

Netrition carries these, this is the same brand I purchased (and about $5 cheaper!):

NOW Foods Blanco Salvia White Chia

Last edited by BikerAng; 07-07-2009 at 12:02 PM..
Old 07-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, fantastic, Angie! I will order them from Netrition then. I order all my specialty products from Netrition and have done so for years now. They are a fantastic online store and the very best premier low-carb online store, in my opinion. Service is fantastic and speedy! Thank you for the heads up!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Well Im one of those people who also got sick of wasting money and ingredients to make a loaf of lc bread only to have it be inedible!!! I however was extremely pleased with this version and think I may have a winner!!! Thank you Jennifer!!

Mine didnt rise like some of you are speaking of and Im wondering if the kneading time would be the difference? I did it in my bread machine for 16 mins..
The only thing I did differently was to replace the whole wheat pastry flour with oat flour as there is no way I can get WW pastry flour around here..The taste and texture were great but Id like to get more slices out of the loaf to cut down the carbs..Any ideas?? Yeast and bp were new..
Old 08-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Tempurature can effect the rise, if it gets too hot or too cold. Did it rise then deflate (could have let it rise too much) or did it just never rise a lot. Mine rose a great deal, but I used rapid rise yeast.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
I did the bread machine version so it didnt get any temperature changes..but it came no where near the top of the machine..I specifically bought bread machine yeast as in the directions also..
Are you putting the ingredients in just like the order in the recipe or are people doing things differently, like the yeast and water sugar first or as in traditional bread making..
Thanks for any help..