Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I purchased all 5 of Jennifer's cookbooks. I don't use Splenda (it give me migraines) so I just sub out my sweetener of choice instead and all of the recipes have turned out great. I don't like things too sweet though so I usually use 1/2 of the amount of sweetener the recipe calls for and taste/adjust it before I bake it. Jennifer also had a note on her blog about subbing coconut flour for WPI in her LC Bake Mix and I've been using that with great results. Her bake mixes ROCK!

Splendid Low-Carbing for Life, Volume Two
Splendid Low-Carbing for Life, Volume One
Splendid Low-Carb Desserts
More Splendid Low-Carbing
Splendid Low-Carbing

Last edited by BikerAng; 03-09-2009 at 09:36 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #182
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Wow, Bikerang - your pizza looks gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing the photos and for the plug. I actually just submitted the Thin 'n Crispy Pizza Crust recipe (plus photo with it dressed) for the Spring Issue (kids-oriented this time) of Diabetes Health Magazine. It's such an easy recipe too and at 4 grams carbs a slice, I was asked to check the carbs again by the editor - they could not believe it! Yay!

Thanks a million for your kind words, Angie (that is your name, I think?), and for mentioning that one can sub other sweeteners for Splenda in any recipe. You are absolutely correct because Splenda Granular offers very little in the way of volume or bulk to a recipe. We used Splenda as there was very little else to use at the time, but we always hope that someone comes along with something better. The newest sweeteners combining erythritol and stevia may have had high merit for our personal use, but at the moment they are prohibitively expensive (at least for us and perhaps for a lot of other people too). We've used Splenda going on 20 years (we had the product in Canada 10 years before the U.S. We live in the tropics now, but Splenda is freely available here, and, in fact, all coffee shops, hotels and restaurants provide the Splenda packets for tea and coffee or Splenda in milkshakes and frozen yogurt, which is available in upscale malls) and my sons grew up on it (they are robust, tall and slender - the youngest having the body fat of an athlete (and he is not one)). I think if I had developed all those dessert recipes through the years with sugar and white flour, we'd probably be a bit worse for the wear.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

I am really enjoying your cookbooks Jennifer, I love to cook and when I find recipes that taste remarkably good I have to share! I really think that you can eat LC and not have to sacrifice taste/texture (and you've done a marvelous job recreating bake mixes that taste so close to white flour!!). I gave a piece of the pizza to my friend (who is a high carb junkie) and she thought it was great. When I told her what it was made with she just couldn't believe it!

I use Erythritol, stevia, and xylitol as my sweeteners. They are very expensive, but they are all natural and don't effect me negatively (migraines, stalls, etc). The cost helps control the amount of baked goods I make though!

Oh yes, my name is Angie.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Note for Angie

Angie, that is a funny story about your friend tasting the pizza and then not being able to believe what it was made from. lol

I also use erythritol quite a bit these days in combo with Splenda and occasionally xylitol (have a dog, so have to be careful with it and the guys in my household don't tolerate it so well - digestion problems sometimes to be polite). I never did find a Stevia (threw mine away years ago) that I liked, but maybe they have some improved versions these days and in synergy with other sweeteners it would probably taste pretty good.

You have been very kind in your praise - could make a girl get a big head, you know. Just joking, but, seriously, I will watch out for that. I like to always give God the credit for helping me. I think it's a good way to remain humble in this life. Sure, we work hard, but it is God that gives people their unique gifts or talents in the first place - and we all have them - thing is to figure out what they are. I didn't find my talent until later in life (tried two university programs - physiotherapy and then computer science, but with the first, after 2 years, we emigrated to Canada, I worked as an executive assistant (secretary) for a few years in the Oil and Gas Industry, and then we began our family soon after I started the 2nd degree course, which I was not cut out for in hindsight).

By the way, you've done amazingly well with low-carbing. Kudos! I see from your profile that you love baking, cooking and gardening (me too) - except for the motor biking and camping.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Chickenlady - thanks! By the way w/w pastry flour has fewer carbs than whole wheat flour by quite a bit, but that's good that you were able to handle the extra carbs and still have great blood sugar readings.
Jennifer what WW pastry flour do you use because mine has carb count almost exactly the same as greenrn's WW graham flour.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Whole Wheat Pastry Flour

Hi Shadowzip - the one I buy is the all natural by Arrowhead Mills (also called whole grain Organic Pastry Flour). Here is the nutritional breakdown on the package that I plugged into my nutritional analysis program:

Serving size 1/3 cup (30 g)
Servings per container - about 30

110 calories; 4 g protein; 0.5 g fat; 23 g carbs, 3 g fiber
Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

What is funny is that if I tell her it's low carb she scrunches her nose and won't try it. She likes the fluffy white breads, and this crust looks like white flour crust. I know she doesn't have any allergic reactions so I thought I'd see if I could pass it off as a thin crust. I just had to tell her it was LC though after she tried it and gave me the thumbs up!

I think you've definitely found your calling, your recipes are just wonderful. I don't give praise out lightly. I haven't really found my calling yet, or haven't put the talents God gave me to good use yet. I was an assistant [secretary] at a big software company here in WA for 8 years. I've also been assisting at a cooking school for a few years off and on. We don't have any kids (yet), and are busy running a business we started 3 years ago.

LC has been so great for my health and weight. I'm not at goal yet, but I've been eating at maitenance levels for a while and my weight is just holding steady. I fell off my MIL's horse last summer and herniated a disc so I've not been able to do hardly anything physical, so I'm expecting once I'm able to start exercising again I'll hit goal. I'm about 90% better, and I think in a month I'll be tip top! I'm not in a huge hurry to get to goal though, didn't gain weight overnight!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #188
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I went to Amazon today and ordered all 7 of the Splendid cookbooks. I can't wait to give the pizza crust a try along with the baking mixes.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:14 AM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Jennifer, mine is BR Mills with the same count. I thought maybe you had one that was lower in carb count. Love your recipes. We are going out to lunch today and I am taking a hamburger bun, made from this recipe. YUM
Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Angie, your friend sounds like many people when they hear something is low-carb - they immediately assume it has to be inferior tasting. lol To me it sounds like you have many talents, besides cooking - and starting a business is one of them. Not everyone can do that or has the opportunity.

It's really too bad you fell off the horse. I hope your back heals 100%. You don't have much to lose, so that last little bit sometimes takes some "forcing" off with a couple of strategies, that you know helped you lose weight in the past, for instance. For me, it is intermittent fasting, if I get desperate with the last few stubborn pounds.

Shadowzip (smiles).

Vicki, thanks for the vote of confidence. I think I will share the thin, crispy crust pizza recipe on here soon after it is published in DH.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 03-10-2009 at 08:27 AM..
Old 03-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
Oh My Goodness!!!

I just toasted a slice with butter and spread with sugar free raspberry jam! Fantastic!

Thank you Jennifer!

Leigh
Old 03-14-2009, 03:36 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: greenrn
Stats: 288/281/270/145
WOE: Low Carb (20 carbs a day)
Start Date: 03/22/06 09/22/10 01/09/2012
Hey All,
Sorry my computer has been down. I need LC pancakes, with butter and sugar free syrup.
Who has the best recipe, Please?
Old 03-14-2009, 06:03 AM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

I personally like the pork rind pancakes they cook up like regular pancakes and have no taste of pork rinds posted by Barbo
Quote:
How about these?

Low-Carb Pancakes (Pork Rinds)

2 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 of a 3-oz bag of unflavored pork rinds
3 packets of Splenda (or other sugar alternative)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 dash nutmeg
Crumble pork rinds until they resemble bread crumbs.

In a seperate bowl, beat eggs until frothy then add remaining ingredients and continue to beat until well mixed. Add pork rinds to the egg/cream mixture and set aside for 5 minutes to allow batter to thicken.

Cook on a lightly greased skillet as you would any pancake recipe. Drop batter on surface large spoonfulls. Cook until each side is lightly browned.

Serve with butter and a low-carb store bought syrup. Or for an interesting low-carb topping, mix 1 Tablespoon of sugar-free jam with 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons water and microwave for 45 seconds.

lots of good reviews for these posted by CarolynF
Quote:
Yummy Carbquik Pancakes
Many people have raved about these pancakes..and you can't taste the CQ..

These are delicious...

1/3 cup Carbquik
2 tsp. Splenda
2/3 tsp. baking powder
tiny pinch of salt..
Mix this in a bowl..until mixed well.
In a small bowl beat one egg, add 2 Tbs. milk, and 1 Tbs. melted
butter..then blend into dry ingredients. I folded in some blueberries, too. If it's too dry, then add a touch more milk or cream.
This makes 2-3 pancakes..I fried them in a little macadamia nut
oil..Very, very good..

for waffles we love these
Charski posted this in the waffle recipe thread they are the best
Quote:
This is my FAVORITE recipe - in fact I'm going to be making them in about 10 minutes! Even people who would gag if you TOLD them they were low-carb think these are excellent waffles!

"BettyR's Amazing Waffles

Preheat your waffle iron.

1 8 oz. package cream cheese, cubed
3 eggs
2 pkt. Splenda
1 tsp. or pkt. Stevia Plus
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1/4 cup cream
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese

Put all ingredients into a food processor; process until smooth. Open processor and scrape down the sides with a spatula, then process another 60 seconds. The batter will be VERY thick - do NOT thin it down!

Place a heaping tablespoon (the kind you eat cereal with, not a measuring spoon) of batter into each waffle section of the iron and cook as you would regular waffles.

Makes 7 large waffles, approx. 3.6 carbs each

You can reduce the calories by using part-skim ricotta cheese in place of cream cheese and Hood's LC milk in place of the cream, if you like."

I don't bother to put the sweetener in because we use the leftovers like bread for sandwiches.

Also I've used all kinds of shredded cheese in these, whatever I have on hand. Even the Trader Joe's 3 cheese blend is really good! You don't taste the cheese (unless you used something very strong) and it works fine if you're not in possession of mozzarella at the moment.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:12 AM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: libbysmom
Stats: 226/217/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 1/25/09
Jennifer and other low carb bread experts,

I made the bread in the bread machine last weekend and it was perfect! Yesterday I made the larger recipe, kneaded it in the bread machine and split the dough between a loaf pan and then made 12 "rolls" in a muffin pan. They were rising at 30 minutes and flat as pancakes (well almost) at 40 minutes. What happened? I have made breads and rolls throught the years and while I am by no means and expert, I have never had a problem!
Old 03-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Did you use new yeast? Or was your water too hot/cold? Both of those can affect the rise. If the yeast isn't new, you can "proof" it in some warm water with a bit of sugar to make sure it's still active.

Greenrn - I really like BettyR's waffles. The cheese sounds very weird, but you can't even tell it's in there. They taste just like regular waffles to me, but they are SUPER filling (I can only eat 1 and a 1/2).
Old 03-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Thanks,
Working again tonight, going to make these in the morning when I get home. Gosh, I can't wait.
Cubed up most of the bread from last week and toasted for crutons for my salads. Wonderful.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #197
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2B Me
Start Date: Need to get started again on some plan.
Subscribing.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I borrowed my mom's bread machine and made this bread. It turned out absolutely wonderful ARGGHHHH!!!!! I have eaten 3 slices already and could go back for more. Despite the carb count being lower than regular bread, it can and is still a binge food for me regardless of the carb count. I don't think I will be making any more of this. I also have found if I have low carb tortillas in the house I can binge on those too. So, back to "clean" low carb eating for me.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Hey, The pancakes were wonderful this morning. Thank you, DH could not believe he actually liked them. Thanks a MILLION!
Old 03-16-2009, 03:19 AM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrn View Post
Hey, The pancakes were wonderful this morning. Thank you, DH could not believe he actually liked them. Thanks a MILLION!

Which ones did you make?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
I borrowed my mom's bread machine and made this bread. It turned out absolutely wonderful ARGGHHHH!!!!! I have eaten 3 slices already and could go back for more. Despite the carb count being lower than regular bread, it can and is still a binge food for me regardless of the carb count. I don't think I will be making any more of this. I also have found if I have low carb tortillas in the house I can binge on those too. So, back to "clean" low carb eating for me.
I REALLY don't want to give you any reason at all to overdo it on the bread, but I can't resist throwing in that I have indulged on this bread a couple of times since I've started making it -- like three or four thick slices with butter -- and the scales haven't budged. I know that everyone is different and you have to figure out what works for you and some foods are trigger foods that can send you off eating everything in the house, but for whatever reason, this bread seems to satisfy me without any bad effects. I might add that a lot of other foods do send the scales off in the wrong direction for me -- I don't know why this doesn't.

A variation: I got tired of grinding up flax seeds everytime I made this bread, so I decided to try whey protein powder instead. It works beautifully and increases the protein content of the bread as well, which makes it more satisfying. I use Any Whey, which is flavorless. I think Bob's Red Mill also has a flavorless version of whey protein powder.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
Another variation: this recipe makes fantastic rye bread. Just substitute rye flour for the whole wheat pastry flour. Add caraway seeds and dill if you like. I used about a tablespoon of seeds and a teaspoon of dill. I didn't think the flavor was strong enough but my husband liked it. The carb count remains the same, although I used dark rye flour from Hodgson's Mill -- I don't know if light is higher. (if someone's already posted this idea, sorry! I didn't take the time to read through everything but thought you all might enjoy having rye bread again if you miss it!)
Old 03-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

Same here oliveoyl, I don't do well with the LC prepackaged breads out there (too much soy - I try to avoid soy) but this bread doesn't affect me either. It's makes the best buns for burgers!
Old 03-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #204
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wuzupgirl
ok, so why does it say to set the bread machine to the pizza setting for the loaf pan bread???? can you make this recipe without a bread machine?

WHOLEGRAIN BREAD
For crustier buns, toast lightly on both sides in nonstick pan. Copyright: More Splendid Low-Carbing with compliments for lowcarbfriends.com from Jennifer Eloff

1 cup water (250 mL)
3 tbsp olive oil (45 mL)
1 large egg
1 cup vital wheat gluten (250 mL)
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour, (150 mL)
OR oat flour
1/2 cup wheat OR oat bran (125 mL)
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry four, (50 mL)
OR flax seeds, ground, OR
oat flour, OR soy flour
4 tsp bread machine yeast (20 mL)
1 tbsp SPLENDA® Granular (15 mL)
1 tbsp granulated sugar (15 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)

In cereal bowl, heat water in microwave oven 1 minute. In bread pan, place water, olive oil, egg, vital wheat gluten, whole wheat pastry flour (or oat flour), wheat or oat bran, ground flax seeds (or whole wheat pastry flour, oat flour or soy flour), yeast, SPLENDA® Granular, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and baking powder. Program bread machine to Bread Rapid setting and color to medium. Remove 30 minutes before baking time is over or when brown in color.

Variations: Loaf Pan Breads (Two): Use 1 cup (250 mL) water, plus 3 tbsp (45 mL), 2 eggs, 11/4 cups (300 mL) 80% vital wheat gluten and 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder. Follow recipe above with these changes. Program bread machine to pizza cycle. Divide dough in two equal portions. Place each portion in greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch (2 L) loaf pan and place pans on bottom shelf in preheated 225°F (107°C) oven which is off. Cover lightly with foil. Allow to rise 40 minutes. Remove foil; switch on oven to 350°F (180°C), leaving loaves inside. Bake 30 minutes. Place loaves on cake rack to cool. Place in paper bag and leave at room temperature for crusty loaves. Refrigerate for longer storage or freeze. Yield: 2 Loaves, 22 slices each, 1 slice per serving. (2.0 g Carbs)

Hamburger Buns, Hot Dog Buns or Dinner Rolls: Same recipe as for Loaf Pan Breads above. Shape dough into 12 hamburger or 9 hot dog buns or 24 dinner rolls. Place on greased pizza pan. Spray buns with nonstick cooking spray. Proceed as above and bake 20 minutes. Yield: 12 Hamburger buns.
(7.4 g Carbs), 9 hot dog buns (9.9 g Carbs) or 24 Dinner Rolls. (3.7 g Carbs)
Old 03-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #205
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I would like to do the same thing if I make it again. I don't want to purchase a bread machine. I do have one on loan from my mother and it is very convenient needless to say. But, I bet I could burn off some calories kneading the dough LOL.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eastbruce
Stats: 202/187/120
WOE: JUDDD,Low Carb, High Fat
[QUOTE=wuzupgirl;11716359]ok, so why does it say to set the bread machine to the pizza setting for the loaf pan bread???? can you make this recipe without a bread machine?

The pizza setting will mix, knead and do the first rise for you. Then you take it out for the second rising and bake it. My machine doesn't have a "pizza setting", but it has a "dough only" which is the same thing.

I made the two pan version because I wanted two smaller loaves and some buns instead of one big loaf of bread. I sliced one loaf, put the other in my freezer and threw away the buns because I baked them too long.

This bread is good. My Mother, who is not a low carber, tasted it and liked it too.

You could make this without a bread machine, but you will need to manually mix the ingredients, knead it and rise it according to instructions.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:44 AM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
I agree with East Vicki...Mine bread machine is a cheap Sunbeam from Walmart...I dont have a pizza setting on mine so I use my dough setting..Yes..you can make this by hand and I just might try that next time just to play around with it..

Oh...Her pizza crust on her site is great too!!

HUGS
Christina
Old 03-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #208
Major LCF Poster!

I always make mine with my mixer.Just add dry ingredients to the mixer bowl, then add in wet ingredients. (only use one cup of water) and knead with dough hook. Put it in 2 smaller size loaf pans or one large loaf pan, Let rise for about 45-60 minutes then bake. It comes out wonderful. I would much rather use my mixer than a bread machine, Call me crazy but I think bread machines are more hassle than they are worth.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zomzom
Hello Jennifer

Just a quick question - I make bread in a bread machine. With all the other low carb breads I've made in the machine, in the instructions it said to do only one rise - ie, knead, rise, and bake.

With your bread, do you do two rises in the bread machine or just the one? I thank you in advance for your generous assistance

I'm a T2 diabetic, and have read your recipes in Diabetic Health Magazine. I also read your blog and look forward to experimenting further with more of your recipes. You are one talented and very nice lady, and thank you so much for sharing your "gifts" with us. Your generosity is helping so many of us who might be "cooking challenged", me being one of them
Old 03-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowzip View Post
I always make mine with my mixer.Just add dry ingredients to the mixer bowl, then add in wet ingredients. (only use one cup of water) and knead with dough hook. Put it in 2 smaller size loaf pans or one large loaf pan, Let rise for about 45-60 minutes then bake. It comes out wonderful. I would much rather use my mixer than a bread machine, Call me crazy but I think bread machines are more hassle than they are worth.
This is exactly what I do too. I gave away my bread machine when I got my Kitchenaid mixer.