Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 05:41 AM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Bumping..

HUGS!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
I finely got around to making two more loaves today using my home ground whole wheat flour...they are so good.

I've done two checks so far on my blood sugar after eating the bread and the numbers are great.

Thanks so much for the recipe.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
I do have a minute bread (and another minute toast!), I should post here shortly.
Hi Jennifer:

Hoping to see your minute bread recipe soon.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #154
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Jen is temporarily not available to the computer but I'm sure she'll see this when she's available again!
Old 03-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: greenrn
Stats: 288/281/270/145
WOE: Low Carb (20 carbs a day)
Start Date: 03/22/06 09/22/10 01/09/2012
Hi, Everyone. I love to cook and bake from scratch.
Could someone make a list of basic ingreadents needed for baking from scratch, and where the best place to purchase these products.
A real plus for me would be if someone could describe what each of these products actions are.
Hate to be so needy.
As I read your posts I realize you can't just use old favorite recipes and sub. in low carb products.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrn View Post
Hi, Everyone. I love to cook and bake from scratch.
Could someone make a list of basic ingreadents needed for baking from scratch, and where the best place to purchase these products.
A real plus for me would be if someone could describe what each of these products actions are.
Hate to be so needy.
As I read your posts I realize you can't just use old favorite recipes and sub. in low carb products.
Everyone is different...what one person likes another person can't stand....

I personally find that I can't do without almond flour. I love...love...love almond flour. I make pie crusts, muffins, cornbread, pound cake, breakfast cereal, fruit crisp, and crackers with it...some people don't like it.

Another item I always have on hand is Vital Wheat Gluten...I use it to make bread and give my almond flour a little structure where needed...again some don't like it.

I also order Erythritol and I would order liquid Splenda also but a very kind person gave us a heads up on a Presidents Day sale that Splenda was having on their quick packs and I think I now have a life time supply of those now. In the sugar sub area I also keep SteviaPlus packets...I get them at my local health food store.

I ordered a few flavor drops a month or so ago...I don't usually use them but I will say that I have really enjoyed them and I will probably order again when I'm out but these are something that will probably last me the rest of this year.

This is about it for specialty items for me...other than this I just use regular food.

Other people use a lot of Carbquik and Cabalose (sp)...I never really liked the taste of either.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Hello again,

I just wanted to thank The Chicken Lady, for all your help. Today, I went to a college town about 30 mile away. At Walmart I was able to purchase VWG, Whole Wheat Graham Flour, milled Flax Seed, and Soy Flour all from Hudson Mill. Also, saw a 5 lb. bag of Whole Wheat Pastery Flour, but couldn't log onto LCF while at the store to see if I needed it. I now have 2 loaves of bread rising in the oven.

I used 100% rolled oats (in my cabinet) in the recipe with the whole wheat graham flour.
The oats were not old fashion oats, but 1 minute oats. I ground them in a small $5.00 mini food processor that Walmart's offers every year on Black Friday. I use this for grinding nuts when I make the awsome A 1 cheesecake in our recipe section.

Hopefully I didn't mess up rhe carb count with this flour and ground oatmeal.
I also, let my dough knead in the bread machine about 25 min, before transfering to the bread pans.

The WWGF has 22 gms. carbs, D. fiber 4 gms, and 3 gms. protein for 1/4 cup. I used 1/4 cup.
The oatmeal has TC 26 gms., D. fiber 4gms., Sol. fiber 4gms., Insol. fiber 2gms., and Protein 5 gms. for 1/2 cup. I used 2/3 cup.

If anyone wants to coach, suggest, or critique me, I will be grateful.

Never use my Nutrition anymore, (as a matter of fact I remember burning the book after that class) so I would appreciate help determining how many carbs my slices of bread has. Thank Goodness for Nutritionist.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrn View Post
Hello again,

I just wanted to thank The Chicken Lady, for all your help. Today, I went to a college town about 30 mile away. At Walmart I was able to purchase VWG, Whole Wheat Graham Flour, milled Flax Seed, and Soy Flour all from Hudson Mill. Also, saw a 5 lb. bag of Whole Wheat Pastery Flour, but couldn't log onto LCF while at the store to see if I needed it. I now have 2 loaves of bread rising in the oven.

I used 100% rolled oats (in my cabinet) in the recipe with the whole wheat graham flour.
The oats were not old fashion oats, but 1 minute oats. I ground them in a small $5.00 mini food processor that Walmart's offers every year on Black Friday. I use this for grinding nuts when I make the awsome A 1 cheesecake in our recipe section.

Hopefully I didn't mess up rhe carb count with this flour and ground oatmeal.
I also, let my dough knead in the bread machine about 25 min, before transfering to the bread pans.

The WWGF has 22 gms. carbs, D. fiber 4 gms, and 3 gms. protein for 1/4 cup. I used 1/4 cup.
The oatmeal has TC 26 gms., D. fiber 4gms., Sol. fiber 4gms., Insol. fiber 2gms., and Protein 5 gms. for 1/2 cup. I used 2/3 cup.

If anyone wants to coach, suggest, or critique me, I will be grateful.

Never use my Nutrition anymore, (as a matter of fact I remember burning the book after that class) so I would appreciate help determining how many carbs my slices of bread has. Thank Goodness for Nutritionist.
Your welcome...I'm not really that good at figuring out carb counts for food. When I make a new food I judge it by my blood sugar count 2 hours after eating it. If it doesn't effect my blood sugar very much then I'm happy with it. I'm sure there are many people here who can help you with that.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:49 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

The bread fell a little when it started to bake and maybe a little more when I took it out of the oven. It looked a lot like Mac 24312's picture.
I had bread before March of this year. so my taste remembers.
I do like the soft freshness of the baked bread, prefer the slice with a little butter on it. Very little aftertaste, I like that.
I don't eat a lot of bread anyway, but to have a little toast with my over med eggs will keep me smiling.

I also made the butter with olive oil, in the fridge chilling now.

Hello friend, glad to know you sometimes have my other hand.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:00 AM   #160
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
How can you guys afford to purchase very much almond flour? Whenever I see any recipe that calls for one cup or more of the stuff I pass it by since it is so $$$$
Old 03-07-2009, 05:23 AM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I make my own out of Sliced Almonds that I buy a small bag for 3.00 each time I go grocery shopping at Walmart...that way I always have enough to keep me in stock for recipes...
Old 03-07-2009, 06:26 AM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
This is from BRM WW pastry flour
Quote:
Nutrient Facts
Serving Size: 1/4 cup(30g)
Servings Per Container: 22.00
Amount Per Serving % Daily
Value
Calories

Calories from Fat

Total Fat

0.50 g

1 %
Saturated Fat

0.00 g

0 %
Trans Fat

0.00 g

0 %
Cholesterol

0.00 mg

0 %
Sodium

0.00 mg

0 %
Total Carbohydrate

23.00 g

Dietary Fiber

4.00 g

Sugars

0.00 g

Protein

3.00 g
I think the ground oats would be the same as oat flour if the measurement is the same after grinding
Old 03-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
How can you guys afford to purchase very much almond flour? Whenever I see any recipe that calls for one cup or more of the stuff I pass it by since it is so $$$$
Google honeyville almond flour. You can get 5 lbs. for 6.70/per pound including shipping. A lot cheaper than most places and very good quality. If you keep it iin the freezer it lasts a long time.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Hi Retroworx - I will post it, hopefully, today. I should maybe not have said anything as now I may have your hopes up too much. It's a very simple recipe, but, I think, a pretty good alternative to bread in a hurry and a good medium for our breakfast items such as eggs and bacon and cheese or eggs benedict.

Hi everyone on this fun thread (for me, certainly). Did I miss anything while I was on vacation - I just read this last screen? Chickenlady - thanks! By the way w/w pastry flour has fewer carbs than whole wheat flour by quite a bit, but that's good that you were able to handle the extra carbs and still have great blood sugar readings. I had a look at your corn bread recipe and liked the look of it very much - lovely photos! I wrote down the recipe. I do have a corn bread recipe in one of my cookbooks, but I'm funny in that I'm always trying new recipes rather.

I will remember to use only 1 cup of water for the 2-loaf version thanks to all the wonderful experimentations here. The reason the bread sinks slightly (especially the oat flour version) is, firstly, if one opens the oven door (I was wrong to suggest the foil and removing it - skip all that) and, secondly, I think due to the moisture content of the bread being a little too high and the density of the bread a little too low. The best and most successful version of the 2-loaf recipe is (and also the bread machine bread is fail-safe) with the whole wheat flour options and perhaps using the flax meal option (this option absorbs water well as the meal swells and the bread will be denser). However, for a nicer flavor stick with whole wheat pastry flour only and wheat bran or the oat flour version. (I'm not that wild about the taste of flax seed meal.)

Thanks, Christina, for helping "hold down the fort" along with the other ladies while I was away. I have other bread recipes (one that is lower carb too) that may work with a 2-loaf version. I can point you to a couple, Christina, that I think may work, if you are interested in further experimenting later on.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #165
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Jennifer..Would love to peek at your bread recipe.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellBell1234
marking my spot!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One Minute Bread, The Next Minute Toast

Hi Carolyn and Kellbell - I've posted the recipe in the main "Lowcarb Recipe Help & Suggestions" room.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Hi Retroworx - I will post it, hopefully, today. I should maybe not have said anything as now I may have your hopes up too much. It's a very simple recipe, but, I think, a pretty good alternative to bread in a hurry and a good medium for our breakfast items such as eggs and bacon and cheese or eggs benedict.

Thanks, Christina, for helping "hold down the fort" along with the other ladies while I was away. I have other bread recipes (one that is lower carb too) that may work with a 2-loaf version. I can point you to a couple, Christina, that I think may work, if you are interested in further experimenting later on.

Hi and Welcome back..got the recipe off of your blog...how do you like the 5,000 and 75 GF You are welcome..I try to help when I can...

BTW I LOVE your books!! I have been reading since Friday afternoon and not done reading thru them yet!! Sure..point away... You know I LOVE to experiment with LC foods...

HUGS
Christina
Old 03-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

More Bread Recipes for the 2-loaf, 2-gram carb version

Thanks, Christina. I think the Sunshine Bread and Cinnamon Raisin bread, SLCFL vol. 1, could be candidates. If they work out for you with the 2-loaf version, we may share the recipes here on this thread sometime and give you the credit. Don't feel pressured though. No rush to experiment, as I won't be doing any experimenting with these breads any time soon, I don't think. I need to lose some weight (I never learn to be careful during the holiday season it seems). CONGRATS again on your weight loss!! It's amazing to say the very least. You can be so proud of yourself (in a good way) and now with your experience you are ready to help and encourage others achieve their weight loss dreams.

WPI 5000 and Resistant Wheat Starch 75 - they seem to have some good possibilities - maybe even in bread making, and perhaps subbing for some of the ingredients in my recipes. I'm not familiar enough with the products yet to be honest. I did not like the taste on their own necessarily (especially the WPI 5000), but there seems to be a synergy used in conjunction with other ingredients - so we'll see. Time will tell.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jennifer

Ok..I just looked thru the book and I do agree with you...I think the Cinnamon will be my first one to try....Even after 3 days I have not had time to look thru all the books yet!! LOL'

TY Jennifer... That really makes me feel good knowing someone wonderful like you that appreciates the wonderful LC life that is making easy for us to enjoy this wonderful LC WOL!!

BTW...I have my story to share with you...I have got that done..I THINK...lol... I dont know where to put it on here at LCF...either in the blogs or in the Journals...the one I have wrote is for LCF and you can help me with it..LOL...I will PM it to you and let you take a look or send it to your thru e-mail...which ever one is best for you...

Oh..I dont like the WPI 5,000 by itself in anything either...I use it in Kevin's Bake mixes...It just could maybe a sub for VWG in your bread thou...

Have a wonderful Blessed Sunday!
HUGS
Christina

Last edited by mac24312; 03-08-2009 at 09:54 AM..
Old 03-08-2009, 09:57 AM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Maybe email it to me, Christina, as I don't think I have the ability to PM or see PM's. I'm not sure why - perhaps because I am a recent member and need a certain number of posts?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You do now...LOL

I just PM you..LOL
Old 03-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatislaw View Post
Google honeyville almond flour. You can get 5 lbs. for 6.70/per pound including shipping. A lot cheaper than most places and very good quality. If you keep it iin the freezer it lasts a long time.

I get my almond flour at the same place Honeyvillegrain.com but I buy 25 pounds at a time. 25 pounds is $114.99 plus $4.49 for shipping that comes out to $4.77 a pound. I bag it up into 1 gallon zip-lock bags and store it in the freezer. I keep one of the zip lock bags in my refrigerator that I use out of.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
I get my almond flour at the same place Honeyvillegrain.com but I buy 25 pounds at a time. 25 pounds is $114.99 plus $4.49 for shipping that comes out to $4.77 a pound. I bag it up into 1 gallon zip-lock bags and store it in the freezer. I keep one of the zip lock bags in my refrigerator that I use out of.
Wow, Chickenlady, you must do a LOT of baking I also use Kevin's cake and cookie mix so I think 25# of almond flour would last the rest of my life!! Honeyville has really good almond flour - love that place Everything else I get at Netrition - love that place, too.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatislaw View Post
Wow, Chickenlady, you must do a LOT of baking I also use Kevin's cake and cookie mix so I think 25# of almond flour would last the rest of my life!! Honeyville has really good almond flour - love that place Everything else I get at Netrition - love that place, too.
LOL...It doesn't really seem like I do all that much baking but we do go through the almond flour. My son in law has Crohn's Disease and my daughter has been cooking with almond flour for years...I love the stuff she made with it so much and so started using it myself some time ago. Although she uses honey in her cooking and I use Splenda.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I tried the thin and crispy crust from Jennifer's cookbook (can't remember which one it is from) and it was so good. Pics attached. I also tried the one listed on her websiteb "Real Pizza Crust", that one was super good too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0008.jpg (78.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0010.jpg (98.6 KB, 70 views)
Old 03-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

That pizza really looks good!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Thanks Chicken Lady! I'm just thrilled with all of Jennifer's bread recipes (from her website and cookbooks)!
Old 03-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Just listening along, learning as much as I can.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:52 AM   #180
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I went to Jennifer's websites and see that the cookbooks that I am seeing are using Splenda in the name as Splendid etc. Are there any other cookbooks other than those?