Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowzip View Post
I made this last night and baked it in one large loaf pan and it turned out beautiful. Also wanted to say it is very forgiving, I used some wheat bran, flax seed, King Arthurs white whole wheat, VWG and just a tad of Kevins cake and cookie flour mix because mine was also wet. I used some of Kevin's tips also and let it knead for about 15 minutes.

I have a huge beautiful loaf of bread. Very Tasty. Next time I will bake it in two of my smaller loaf pans, it just did not look like enough dough for two pans but I was wrong cause it rose really well.

Jen, I was wondering why the different proportions for bread machine and loaf pans? Also in the directions for loaf pans does it mean 1 cup + 3TBLS of water or is the 3 tBLS referring to the olive oil. TIA we are glad to have you here. And if you have questions about the WPI 5000 and 8000, Kevinpa is the one to ask. He is an expert.

Variations: Loaf Pan Breads (Two): Use 1 cup (250 mL) water, plus 3 tbsp (45 mL), 2 eggs, 11/4 cups (300 mL) 80% vital wheat gluten and 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder.

Mine did the same thing..it was wet...I was wondering why the different proportions too but I know is that proportion is for 2 Loaf Pans..(Loaf Pan Breads (Two): Use 1 cup (250 mL) water, plus 3 tbsp (45 mL), 2 eggs, 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) 80% vital wheat gluten and 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder. Do the rest of the ingredients as instructed) So that would be 1 cup water plus 3 TBS...the oil stays the same...you would think that if this was going to be 2 loaves the other stuff would go up as well??

Still the best LC bread I have had so far and does using the Whole Wheat Flour instead of the whole wheat pastry four make it have more carbs in it??

Thanks!
Christina

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Hey, Christina, sounds like you really know what you're doing in the kitchen. I'm scratching my head as to why the dough was so wet for you (I do think I mostly used the whole wheat pastry flour version, so that could be the problem (the oat flour), but sometimes flours differ slightly. I find where I am living now the butter and the flour is different to how it acted in Canada - so strange - the flour is probably more moist due to the humidity and the butter I don't know what its problem is ). Ask Oliveoyl what she used - oat or whole wheat pastry flour in her breads?

Christina, I saw your photo today. If I look like I'm in my twenties in that photo (Not in real life, believe me! My sons think I'm "old" -they are in their twenties), you look like you belong in middle school. Amazing!
TY!! I really do need that now..I FEEL about 50 today!! I need to update that picture as well..I am about 10 lbs lighter than that now...

I LOVE to play around with recipes and try to "Tweak" or even LC the HC ones..MOST of the time they work for me... I keep all of mine down on my computer and I would LOVE to attempt a cookbook..someday...

Kevin is your guy to ask about WPI 5,000 and 8,000 Jennifer...He uses both of them in his mixes and most of the ones here on LCF that use them love them...I do too but was trying to find something that I could get my ingredients in the little small country town...I will give you the link to his mixes so when you have time (which I know is not much) you can go and look at it and make a post over there and he will come on and help you...Here is the link to Kevin's recipes..his LC Flour mixes are on there http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/re...ml#post9070155 OR you could post a question in our recipe forum about what you need and any of the expert cooks on here will Try to find out for you...address it to Kevin and all the LC chefs...I need help with the difference in the 5,000 and 8,000..

TY for liking my pictures of my bread..mine didnt fall but just a little and I did let it sit in the pan after baking for a hour...it rose almost triple too which is GREAT!!

I hope you got my last e-mail back where I replied back to you too...

HUGS!
Christina
Old 02-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #63

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Wow this bread looks great! Thanks Christina for the pics and Thanks Jen for the recipe and for joining us!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Mary!!

HUGS!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
My dough was wet too, but as it kneaded it turned into a normal looking bread dough (formed a ball). Can't wait to make buns!
Old 02-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mine never did that that is why I had to add to it...I am wondering if its where I make my own Oat Flour thou...
Old 02-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

You can make your own oat flour if you run the rolled oats (not instant) through a coffee grinder until it's a fine powder. I tried using my food processor but it doesn't get fine enough. I think the type of VWG can also effect the stickiness of the dough depending on the gluten content - I think that is what binds it together to form a ball and it takes a while for the gluten to "develop" during kneading process. It may just be that you don't need to add the extra 3 TBS of water due to humidity in your area? I'm not sure though.

Oops - I misread your post, sounds like you are already making your own oat flour. I don't think that would be a problem, but maybe you need to use a little more because it's so airy (no settled like the stuff in the bag).

Last edited by BikerAng; 02-06-2009 at 11:23 AM..
Old 02-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #68
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Mine was super wet too, I ended up adding 1/4 cup more of vwg. It's rising now--I hope it works.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #69
ird
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ird
WOE: Insulin Resistance Diet
Buffy, all five books are reduced to $55! What a steal! I am so tempted...might tell the husband THAT's my Valentine's Day gift!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #70
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Where are they all available for $55? I just might place an order for that deal!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #71
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Check the bottom of my earlier post on this thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post11519418
Old 02-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: primroselane
Stats: 318/239/260/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/5/09--- Restart date 8/1/11
Welcome Jennifer, it's great to have you!
Old 02-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Super Wet Bread - Oh no, the shame, I thought of changing my name...eek!

Hmm, I'm not sure what to say, other than I know it worked for me, but it looks like I used 80% vital wheat gluten in the recipe and typically people will only find the 70% VWG. Bikerang mentioned that that could be the problem. I think she could be right. I'd be tempted to say reduce the amount of water to 3/4 cup to compensate for the very wet dough some of you have been getting. Do be ready to add a tablespoon or two of water if the dough turns out to be too stiff to move around and knead properly in the machine. I do need to test this bread again soon as you guys have me so curious. I will use 3/4 cup water, because the VWG I get from Netrition.com these days is 70% protein. I'm so sorry this problem has arisen, but thankful you guys are all very savvy bakers and were able to compensate so cleverly. I'm impressed! Thanks, you made me feel better as a result.

Christina the loaf pan recipe is actually a bit different with more ingredients - it has more vital wheat gluten (see that keeps coming up - Bikerang is probably correct and her explanation of how it takes a while to incorporate all the moisture was probably also correct in most cases (except, I think, Christina your oat flour probably is not as dense as store bought and your VWG is probably 70% protein.) - a whole 1/4 cup more VWG is required (did you remember to put that in?) and extra baking powder and an extra egg - plus the extra water due to the extra VWG probably. Again, leave the 3 tbsp out and add in only if the dough is too stiff.

Christina, I did get your lovely email and will reply soon. Our internet (just came back 15 minutes ago) has been down for more than 24 hours, as we had a terrible rain and wind storm that lasted 4 days. Our internet went out, our power went out (husband ran out and bought a generator which we can ill afford at this point in time too) and this morning we were without water for a while.

Thanks for the advice. I will find Kevin one of these days and ask him my question. He does seem to be a clever food chemist!

Once upon a time I had a coffee grinder and used it to grind nuts. It lasted 5minutes and broke down. I "killed" it because when it came time to wash it, I must have done something wrong. How does one clean a coffee grinder? So interesting that I can grind my oats in it as Bikerang said - I use a blender when I want to grind my own (i.e. when I'm out of oat flour), but it is never quite as fine a product as I would like. A friend from Texas is about to come and visit me and she is bringing me some special flavored coffee and a coffee grinder. Help! I don't want to "kill" another one. It's been donkeys years since I did the other one in and I'd really like to look after the new one.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am betting it the VWG I am using too now I think about it because I get it from Walmart and its the 70 percent (Hodgen Mills)..I get my Rolled Oat to make my Oat Flour at Walmart too. I will post that question for you for Kevin and see what he has got to say and I will e-mail you and let you know..I did the 2 loaf version. I will leave the extra 3 TBS of water out of my Loaves when I make them again next week..see..I told you I was getting to LOVE this..lol

I use my High Power Food Processor to grind mine in..

That fine..I just e-mailed you again..lol...Sorry about that...Just holler when you get time Jennifer...

HUGS!
Christina
Old 02-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clyde
Stats: 167/118/110 Height 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart 12/07/06
Welcome Jennifer!! I know I'm a little late but I just was reading this thread and saw you had joined!

I have all your books and you are my low carb hero!

Thanks for all you do!!
Old 02-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #76
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Jen, the easiest way to clean one of those little blade-style coffee grinders is to run a tablespoon of rice through it, and dump it out when it's ground up pretty well. Wipe out with a paper towel and you should be good to go again!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:24 AM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
May I join into the fray here?

BTW, I already have 5 Jennifer LC cookbooks and the other 2 splenda ones.

My question is about something I read in a catalogue I just got from King Arthur Flour.

It's about hi-maize natural fiber, which sounds like the corn fiber I have in my cupboard that I've never used, LOL.

It says in the catalogue that the product is a best seller, and . . .

"More fiber in your baked goods without that high-fiber, dry/gritty texture? Easy-to-use- Hi-maise Natural Fiber is the answer. Substitute for up to 1/3 flour in almost any recipe."

Anybody have any experience? Anyone willing to experiment? I probably will. . .but when. . .I'm not sure. Will post any results. I have to try the basic loaves first. Then I can try.

TIA!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:48 AM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Hi-maize stats, per Netrition:

Per 1 cup (152 1/2 grams)
Calories: 210
Total Fat: 1.5g
Sodium: 75mg
Total Carbohydrates: 136g
Dietary Fiber: 82g
Protein: 0g
Old 02-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clyde
Stats: 167/118/110 Height 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart 12/07/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Anybody have any experience? Anyone willing to experiment? I probably will. . .but when. . .I'm not sure. Will post any results. I have to try the basic loaves first. Then I can try.

TIA!
I use this instead of Resistant Wheat Starch. It's a little carby but it's the only resistant starch out there that I've seen with documented health benefits. I can't find that much information on the pros or cons of RWS so I'm sticking with this until I do. I am one of those that for some reason can taste RWS so that's why I was looking for an alternative. I can't taste Hi-Maize at all. So when I use this in Kevin's Cake and Flour Mix - it really makes a difference to me.

YMMV and HTH!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eastbruce
Stats: 202/187/120
WOE: JUDDD,Low Carb, High Fat
I've never made bread before and so want to try this one. But I do not own a bread machine, so will try the loaf version. I also don't own any dough hooks - I guess that means I'll have to knead this by hand like I've seen on TV shows. Any estimates of how long I should knead?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

If you knead by hand, you'll probably need to go for at least 15 minutes. There is a test to find out if the gluten is developed, but I'm not sure if it will work the same with this bread (it's called the window pane test, but I've only ever used it when making white bread). After you've kneaded the dough for 15 minutes, grab a golf ball size chunk and stretch it in 4 ways to create a square - you should be able to pull it very thin and see light through it. If it tears right away, keep kneading.

Bread recipes can vary wildly depending on elevation, products used, the type of water you have, etc. I think this is a fabulous starting recipe for the best LC bread I've tasted yet (w/o funky ingredients or a ton of soy! yay!!!) and is super forgiving too!

Coffee grinders do not like water at all. I do the same thing as Charski (grind rice) to clean mine, and if there are any little bits left over I use a brush to just brush them out (or a damp paper cloth). I do wash the top portion in the dishwasher but make sure it's thoroughly dried before putting it back on the base.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eastbruce
Stats: 202/187/120
WOE: JUDDD,Low Carb, High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
If you knead by hand, you'll probably need to go for at least 15 minutes. There is a test to find out if the gluten is developed, but I'm not sure if it will work the same with this bread (it's called the window pane test, but I've only ever used it when making white bread). After you've kneaded the dough for 15 minutes, grab a golf ball size chunk and stretch it in 4 ways to create a square - you should be able to pull it very thin and see light through it. If it tears right away, keep kneading.
Thanks for the info - I'm going to try it today!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post

Bread recipes can vary wildly depending on elevation, products used, the type of water you have, etc. I think this is a fabulous starting recipe for the best LC bread I've tasted yet (w/o funky ingredients or a ton of soy! yay!!!) and is super forgiving too!
That is how I know how mine is ready..I take out a small ball..pull it 4 ways..not ready then I keep kneeing...I do about 15 min in my bread machine that I do for Dough only...

This IS the best tasting bread I had yet!!

HUGS!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok..any of you all know where I can get whole wheat pastry flour?? I went to all my local and health stores..nothing...would get it from BRM but the shipping is TOO high..guess I will stick with my oat flour..

Good Bread thou..Jennifer..hope everything is still alright..e-mail when you can!!

HUGS
Christina
Old 02-10-2009, 06:07 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24312 View Post
Ok..any of you all know where I can get whole wheat pastry flour?? I went to all my local and health stores..nothing...would get it from BRM but the shipping is TOO high..guess I will stick with my oat flour..

HUGS
Christina
I get it at Whole Foods.
But I was out when I made this bread and I used King Arthurs White Whole Wheat which is readily available in most grocery stores.

Also I think you could use White Lily as it is a soft wheat flour like pastry flour but it is not whole wheat. It will be higher in carbs and it is lower in gluten but may be a close substitute.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:56 AM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Saying thanks in turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by redqueen View Post
Hi Jennifer!

I have had your "Splendid Low Carbing" & "More Splendid Low Carbing" cookbooks for years. They are quite dog-eared and well used!

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for them and for all you do to support the low carb community!

Chris
Thank you as well for taking the time to say those nice things.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I dont have a Whole Foods here... I DO use the KA Whole Wheat Flour with Kevin's Whole Wheat Bread recipe and I think next time I will use that instead of the Oat Flour..about the same carbs for both I think...want to see if it makes a difference or not...I do LOVE it with the Oat Flour but love to play around with my LC recipes...

HUGS
Christina
Old 02-10-2009, 06:59 AM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Thank you as well for taking the time to say those nice things.
Thank you Jennifer!! We love you being here with us!!

HUGS!
Christina
Old 02-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Welcome Jennifer!! I know I'm a little late but I just was reading this thread and saw you had joined!

I have all your books and you are my low carb hero!

Thanks for all you do!!
Thank you too, Clyde. You brought a smile to my face. I can tell by your comments on LCF that you're a nice person.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 02-10-2009 at 07:30 AM..
Old 02-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Janie - Cool, you have all my books. Wow! I have never heard of the product hi-maize natural fiber.

Christina - Netrition does not have the product whole wheat/whole grain pastry flour, unfortunately. I hope they will order it sometime.

I have a brand called Arrowhead Mills and it is about 57 g net carbs per cup. Great stuff, as my oat flour is about 49 g per cup. It gives one options. If you do a search on the internet for that brand name, you will find it. It is simply called pastry flour but it will describe it as organic wholegrain flour.

I sure hope the managing director of Netrition will order it for us soon. I can get it locally, but I know now that many of you can't. Perhaps I will notify Tom, but if anyone gets around to it sooner, that would be great.

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 02-10-2009 at 07:31 AM..