Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Hi Christina,

The oat flour will be fine, but the wheat germ is quite a bit higher in carbs than the wheat or oat bran. Email me, if you like (find email address on my blog under my profile), and we'll chat some more.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Thanks!! I just did...

HUGS!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Welcome to our board Jennifer, wow, we are so happy to have someone like you on here. Be sure and visit us often!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #34
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Didn't I tell you she's a doll?!

I know she is a very busy lady though so I'll just be happy to see her whenever she has a chance to pop her sweet head in here.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
I can understand skepticism as there are a lot of claims out there that are not true. . . .

The nutritional analysis for the bread made in the bread machine is thus:

Yield: 18 slices
Whole wheat/flax/oat flour
73.8/80.7/69.6 calories
6.7/6.9/6.5 g protein
2.8/3.6/2.8g fat
4.9/4.5/5.0 g carbs
Thank you for understanding our sensitivity to nutritional claims and for posting the counts on the bread machine version.

Welcome to the board!
Old 02-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SmileySue
Stats: 332/125, size 2 Maintaining since 3/08!!
WOE: Low carb and clean eating/whole foods
Start Date: 9/05
Hi Jennifer.... It's great to have you here!! I just quickly skimmed your website and there seems to be a ton of good info. there. I'm looking forward to reading it all!!

This is an awesome thread - I'm going to have to order some stuff from Netrition, but I'm going to try it for sure.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: missymagoo12
Stats: 235/225/145
WOE: stellastyle,atkins
Start Date: april 2004
thank you for the recipe- i will have to make the loaf bread and go to your site and order the books. sue
Old 02-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
I might also add re the carb counts that I weigh myself every single day as a way of tracking what I'm sensitive to and what I can get away with . Carbalose & Carbquick add a pound or two of water weight for me every time, even in small servings, but this bread absolutely does not. But the most important thing, for me, is that it tastes really wonderful -- Jen is an absolute genius about the right combination of ingredients for this bread. I could take or leave bread, but my family wants bread and I've had a hard time finding something acceptable to them and me -- but even my ultra-picky nine-year-old will eat this if I cut the crusts off. Thank you so much, Jen!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #39
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Thank you for understanding our sensitivity to nutritional claims and for posting the counts on the bread machine version.

Welcome to the board!
I second this and
Old 02-04-2009, 07:25 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: redqueen
Stats: 261/238/170
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 10/1/11
Hi Jennifer!

I have had your "Splendid Low Carbing" & "More Splendid Low Carbing" cookbooks for years. They are quite dog-eared and well used!

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for them and for all you do to support the low carb community!

Chris
Old 02-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gosh, you are all so nice.

Such nice things were said, that I was having trouble knowing how to respond. :blush: Thanks for the warm welcome. I should have joined ages ago!

I am so amazed at the number of posts many of you have made to this forum. That ongoing commitment requires a lot of dedication, time and caring. I have so many things going on at once that I'm not likely to be able to match that level of commitment, but I certainly will check in from time to time.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #42
Gadget Gal

Jen, I think I speak for EVERYONE here that you are most welcome WHENEVER you have time!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #43
Gadget Gal

And BTW - that is a great picture of you!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

For Char

Thanks, Char. I asked hubby for a pic of me and that's the one he liked too. Thank you for your friendship and for alerting me to this thread and for suggesting I join lowcarbfriends.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #45
Gadget Gal

You know I love ya, girlie!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Help anyone?

I agree you are ONE beautiful lady Jennifer and dont look over 25!!

One question either one of you..

What can I sub for VWG? I found my Wheat Bran I didnt know I have and I am wanting to make this SO bad!!! Do I use WPI 5,000 or 8,000?? And can I sub Regular or Rapid Dry Yeast for the Bread Maker Yeast? I am thinking 8,000 for VWG ( I dont know about the dry yeast) so that I dont have to go out in 5 degree weather to the store right now...

Thanks!
HUGS!!
Christina
Old 02-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Christina,

I used Bob's Red Mill vital wheat gluten which is about 70% protein, which implies the other 30% is kind of like regular flour. Choose the one that is closest to 70% - guess that would be the WPI 5000. Chances are the bread will work, however, it may be a little more chewy, with such a high gluten content. You could compensate by using 3/4 cup WPI 8000 and 1/4 cup oat flour, for instance instead of the 1 cup VWG (would be slightly higher in carbs, but not much because WPI 5000 has fewer carbs than VWG by quite a bit. You could also simply use 1 cup WPI 5000. Either way, I cannot guarantee the result, but it should be fun to try. I doubt you'll get a complete flop - it will be edible. I would use the rapid rise dry yeast.

Brrr, sounds cold over there. Put your bread dough in the machine and snuggle up with a good book, while you wait - if I were you. That is, if you can give your son something to occupy him too.

People do often say I look younger (not in my twenties though, lol. You are too kind), but I believe that there is nothing wrong with looking one's age.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HI!
Thanks!!

I am going to wait and try tommorow thou...My son is not feeling good and I think that he is taking this mess I have along with his Asthma..he is coughing ALOT!!.I think I will play around with it tommorow IF the kids go to school here and use 3/4 cup of WPI 8000 and 1/4 cup of Oat Flour and rapid rise yeast.

I will post and let you all know how it turns out...

You do look in your 20's... And I agree with you about nothing being wrong with looking your age. I will repost a pic of me sometime this week so you can see what I look like..lol..people say I look younger than I am but right now as you know what is going on with me I dont feel much like it...I feel older!! You know the saying your only as old as you feel...

Good idea thou..I think I will go watch Brandon and craw up with a good book!! Cant talk but at least I can read..lol

Thanks
HUGS!
Christina
Old 02-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
Glad to have you on LCF, Jennifer! You ARE a beautiful lady.

Last edited by jacksmixedtape; 02-04-2009 at 02:09 PM..
Old 02-05-2009, 07:28 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

i think this weekend i might get to try the bread recipe- i am getting right now off the bread but if i can make a bread that is only 2 carbs a slice that would be great.

i have a question- if i follow jenn's recipe and wanted to add some fiber sure in the bread would you think it would cook up okay. i know fiber sure is a tasteless powder? sue
Old 02-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Jennifer! So glad you joined LCF's!!

I made your loaf bread yesterday (don't have a bread machine and just used my Kitchenaid to knead the dough). I also didn't have rapid rise yeast, next time I'll use it. The bread turned out wonderfully! I used VWG, oat flour, and buckwheat flour (1/4 cup), and wheat bran. This bread is very good, DH is a bread lover - and he really likes this bread. I can't wait to try other variations. The bread did sink a bit, but I think it's because of the yeast I used and my baking powder is old too. Thanks for a great recipe! This would make great bread crumbs too! Can't wait to check out your website!
Old 02-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
I have everything to make this bread except the oat bran...but I have oat fiber....is that the same thing as oat bran?
Old 02-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok Jennifer...I made you bread!! ;]

Hi all and Jennifer!!

Ok..I made it...I ended up cleaning out my cabinets this morning and found more of my VWG and Wheat Bran!! So, here is the story of how this turns out..

With my son sick again and I am too but I decided still to go ahead and make this bread...In between checking on him coughing and everything else I finally got all my stuff ready to fix this...I ended up making the 2 loaves version because my bread machine is just NOT right to do LC Bread in...

I did everything to instruction Jennifer but when I got it in my machine just to make the dough in using 20 min setting I found out it was WAY too wet!! Now, what usually happens when I use Carbquick or Carblose flour in LC Bread is that by the time I add enough to make the ball..it dont rise!! I just thought I would try with your recipe...I did Sub Oat Flour and rapid rise yeast and used the flax seed meal and the VWG in it...so..I went in and added about 3 more tablespoons of Flax Seed Meal, 4 more tablespoons of VWG (Hodge Mill Brand) and about 2 more tablespoons of Oat Flour to make it the right ball feel right

Put in my 2 pans and put in oven and prayed because MOST of the time it dont rise when I have to add more stuff...

Well...Right at the right raise stage it WORKED!! 2 beautiful loaves!! Mine did bake about 5 min less than what you call for Jennifer but I have 2 of the most wonderful tasting loaves of bread I have EVER had..LC or not!! This recipe is VERY forgiving and you dont see that much in LC baking... I REALLY like the fact I can find everything I need in my local grocery store!! The only other bread that turns out well for me is Kevin's Whole Wheat Bread recipe and it not forgiving like this is and it got alot of Carbquick or Carblose in his flour recipes...I do believe I have found my LC bread for now on!! Now Jennifer if you could teach me how to do rolls I would be in business!!

I WILL buying be your books in a few weeks!! Thanks again!! Here are my pictures of the bread!!

Christina
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LC Bread Photos Feb 5 2009003.JPG (43.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg LC Bread Photos Feb 5 2009004.jpg (74.4 KB, 118 views)
Old 02-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Beautiful! Mine looks like yours only a bit more sunken (I used old yeast and it wasn't rapid rise). Can't wait to try this again, it really is wonderful bread!
Old 02-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
I have everything to make this bread except the oat bran...but I have oat fiber....is that the same thing as oat bran?
Never mind I noticed the links and looked both up...I see that they are different but I think I can go ahead and use the fiber anyway.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just checking in on this thread tonight

Hey, Christina, sounds like you really know what you're doing in the kitchen. I'm scratching my head as to why the dough was so wet for you (I do think I mostly used the whole wheat pastry flour version, so that could be the problem (the oat flour), but sometimes flours differ slightly. I find where I am living now the butter and the flour is different to how it acted in Canada - so strange - the flour is probably more moist due to the humidity and the butter I don't know what its problem is ). Ask Oliveoyl what she used - oat or whole wheat pastry flour in her breads?

Christina, I saw your photo today. If I look like I'm in my twenties in that photo (Not in real life, believe me! My sons think I'm "old" -they are in their twenties), you look like you belong in middle school. Amazing!

Anyway, probably time I tested this recipe again soon. I only made the loaf version once, but Oliveoyl has a suggestion for the loaf pan version and I quote:

"Also, let it cool in the pan for a long time -- even an hour -- this helps keep it from collapsing as so many breads heavy on vital wheat gluten will do."

The bread machine version should not sink. It makes fewer slices and only one bread, so it is higher in carbs. You guys have got me excited about my own recipe, so will be making the loaf version again soon. 2g carbs is a bargain and I'm really cutting down again lately to drop a few pounds gained with various company visiting since before Christmas until just a week ago! Thanks for reminding me of this recipe. I am sometimes guilty of making things once and then never again! My family is not too happy about that. For instance, today I made the Thin and Crispy Pizza Crust recipe (makes 2 crusts) that I had not made in ages. I had been messing with something else that was not quite as crispy and higher in carbs by far. I'll share it on my blog soon enough, but it first needs to appear in Diabetes Health magazine - it's only 4.4 g carbs a slice (without toppings).

Lauren: Thank you. The admiration is mutual for sure! You have so much talent for such a young person.

Bikerang, you are right - toast the bread and the blend in a blender and you have breadcrumbs! Very good idea! I often use leftover bake mixes for breading things.

The Chicken Lady: Let us know if the oat fiber works nicely, if you do get around to trying the bread. I have never worked with that product. I was looking at it yesterday as I'm getting another big order ready for Netrition. This time I'm going to order some things I have not tried before such as the WPI 5000 and 8000 and resistant wheat starch. Is 5000 better? Anybody know? 8000 is cheaper! I see many of the chocolate chips' brands have been discontinued. Wonder what people are using these days? I'm also ordering vital wheat gluten, coconut flour, almond flour, xanthan gum and whatever else I can think of. I'm keeping the list going for a while, until I'm done thinking of what I need.

Sue: I think your idea of adding fiber is fine and will probably help with the loaf pan breads, especially, to give more bulk/density and make them a little more robust and less prone to sinking - see Oliveoyl's tip above in this post for preventing that.

Charski: You made me smile. So comical really, if I were to take anything to heart said on this thread (the over the top nice things that is), I could get a seriously swollen head. Thankfully, there are many things in my life that keep me humble, so it's really in one ear and out the other with me, and what's more, I'm so forgetful. I was happy to hear people are finding my blog (tough to tell by comments as I get hardly any), because I work hard at it, and it is a way of paying it forward.

Oliveoyl: Could you please email me? You will find the address in my profile on my blog, I think.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

P.S.

Nice photos of the breads, Christina.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post
Never mind I noticed the links and looked both up...I see that they are different but I think I can go ahead and use the fiber anyway.
Gotta caution you on just evenly swapping out the oat bran for oat fiber. I believe that the fiber will affect the rise, required bake time, taste and moisture content/texture of the final loaf. Might still work, but won't be the intended result. . . .
Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

thank you for your input jenn. sue
Old 02-06-2009, 07:32 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
I made this last night and baked it in one large loaf pan and it turned out beautiful. Also wanted to say it is very forgiving, I used some wheat bran, flax seed, King Arthurs white whole wheat, VWG and just a tad of Kevins cake and cookie flour mix because mine was also wet. I used some of Kevin's tips also and let it knead for about 15 minutes.

I have a huge beautiful loaf of bread. Very Tasty. Next time I will bake it in two of my smaller loaf pans, it just did not look like enough dough for two pans but I was wrong cause it rose really well.

Jen, I was wondering why the different proportions for bread machine and loaf pans? Also in the directions for loaf pans does it mean 1 cup + 3TBLS of water or is the 3 tBLS referring to the olive oil. TIA we are glad to have you here. And if you have questions about the WPI 5000 and 8000, Kevinpa is the one to ask. He is an expert.

[Quote]Variations: Loaf Pan Breads (Two): Use 1 cup (250 mL) water, plus 3 tbsp (45 mL), 2 eggs, 11/4 cups (300 mL) 80% vital wheat gluten and 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder.[Quote]

Last edited by shadowzip; 02-06-2009 at 07:34 AM..