Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #391
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 142/119.6/115
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2014
Thanks for the fast reply. I just cut the bread in small pieces and put it in the food processor. I will take your advice and stick it in the oven for a bit. It ended up making a big container full. I will stick it in smaller baggies and put them in the freezer. I figure this way I can make meatballs and such.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #392
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GeekChick
Stats: 227/222/135
WOE: Moderate low carb
Start Date: July 28, 2011
Hi again!

Thanks SO MUCH for your responses and ideas. This bread has totally grown on me, though I still like it best toasted with breakfast (lots of butter, of course, LOL!). I did have all very fresh ingredients so I'm sure it's the flavor of the VWG I was tasting. I'm going to experiment a bit with the recipe next time and see what happens! I don't have issues with the bread being slightly higher in carbs by switching out a bit of the VWG.

Jennifer, I just want to say thank you for your incredible generosity in sharing all the recipes on the blog. Amazing! I'll be buying your books for sure. You really helped me get over the "overwhelm" of so much low-carb info on the internet, and baking in particular. I'm going to try the pizza crust tonight (my husband does awesome grilled pizza). I also can't wait to try your cheese hamburger buns, too. (I made oopsies, successfully, last week but didn't like them much!)

Gratefully,
Kim
Old 08-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #393
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Hey, you are so welcome, Kim. You are a sweetie. You made my day! You know, I'm thinking about those cheese hamburger buns. Geesh, I can do better than that and I'm working on it. They do beat oopsies though, I think, in that they are more substantial for sure and better suited for a burger. Your grilled pizza sounds awesome. Which crust are you going to try?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #394
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kearley2
Made this bread and followed the recipe to a t for loaf pans. It didnt rise very much. I used the rapid rise yeast.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #395
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have not made those loaf pan breads or this bread in forever it seems. They definitely do not rise as high as the machine bread - smallish slices. You may want to try that before you give up.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #396
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kearley2
It tastes good, just had some but the slices are only about two inches high.

I just had some with peanut butter with some low sugar jam, lovely with a cup of tea. The slices were only about 2 in. high. I forgot to put tin foil over the pans in the oven when it was rising, dont know if that made a difference.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #397
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You could be right about the height - glad you're enjoying it. I cannot remember the height. I see some people seemed to get a better height, but I don't think you did anything wrong. The machine bread rises very nice and high.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachbumwannabe
Stats: 177/170/135 restart 198.9/177/135 LT 197.5/177/135
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 11/20/08 restart 11/29/10 LT 10/28/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
That sounds so complicated. I know the baking time stated is quite long (on my machine as well) and I had to remove my loaf which was lovely and brown 35 minutes before the end of the baking time. I think the cycle you just mentioned should work just fine. Try it and let me know! Curious me.
I couldn't figure out why you recommended taking it out 30 minutes before the cycle ended, I took mine out 20 minutes before it ended and it wasn't at all done. My machine's bake time must be shorter than yours, I think I have to let it run the entire time.

That being said, I did eat the end piece and it was really good - not quite like whole wheat bread but super close. I'm out of Vital Wheat Gluten right now but I can't WAIT to experiment with buns and different flour combinations! Thank you for this recipe.
4th mini goal, to be 135 - my goal weight.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #399
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh dear - yes, we must have different bread machines for sure! I hope you have fun experimenting! Thanks for sharing your experience here.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #400
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveoyl View Post
When I made this recipe last week I threw in 1/4 cup coconut flour instead of the flax meal -- WOW! This is the best ever! Somehow the coconut flour solves all the problems the vital wheat gluten creates. The texture and consistency of the dough are just like regular dough using the original amounts of water and VWG (1 cup + 3 tbs and 1 1/4 cups) and the bread puffs up beautifully in the oven and sinks just a tiny bit as it cools -- no more collapsing! The slices aren't excessively chewy from the VWG and that slightly bitter flavor is gone. The flavor is out of this world -- best tasting low-carb loaf yet and my husband loves it (that's always the ultimate test, isn't it). I've posted before that just a very quick knead in my KitchenAid worked best for the old recipe, but with the coconut flour a 10-15 minute knead is necessary -- keep going till it's like regular wheat flour bread dough -- a solid mass gathered around the dough hook, very elastic and nice sheets of well-formed gluten if you stretch it. Also, measure the flours and water very carefully: 1 cup plus 3 tbs water and 1 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten -- that works perfectly for me. Once again, Jennifer, thank you so much for all your hard work and inspiration -- I was so sorry to see on your blog that you're thinking about retiring, but if anybody deserves a good rest, you certainly do!
Hi oliveoyl,
I realize this is an old post but I am trying to add some coconut flour to my bread like you did.
You said you upped the good bread recipe amounts of VWG it 1-1/4 cup and the water to 1+3tbs ?
So you replaced the flax seed with the coconut flour.
So did you add 2/3 wow pastry flour?
And replaced the oat bran with more VWG?
That would be a great hlp please if you could verify that?
Thanks Jo
Old 07-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #401
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: curbmycarbs
your kind assistance, please?

I am new to using this site, or any discussion forum actually. I'm also struggling to make that "perfect" low carb bread. where can I find your full recipe, and the 'tweaks?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
I make the 2 loaf variation (my tweaks to the recipe are a page or two back) and I'm mixing it in a Kitchenaid (with the dough hook). I mix it a long time, but 16 minutes should be enough. Most bread machines knead, then rise, then knead again. This bread can't be kneaded twice (it'll deflate then not rise properly for the second rise). I found it works best with rapid rise yeast. This is what I would do if I were to use a bread machine and making one loaf.

Make sure your water is 97 degrees. Use rapid rise yeast, and only use the bread machine to knead your bread (keep an eye on it, and remove it after it stops the 1st kneading, or restart it right away so it kneads a second time without pause). After it's done kneading, shape it into a loaf and put it in a greased bread loaf pan. Put the pan in your oven on the middle rack and allow it to rise 30 minutes (don't let it go too long or it will over "proof" and deflate). 30 minutes seems to be just right whenever I make buns/bread from this recipe using rapid rise yeast. Leaving your pan in the oven, turn the oven on to 350 and cook it for 30-45 minutes (could take up to an hour). Just keep an eye on it, after 30 minutes it should start browning - check it every 5 minutes or so, you want it dark brown but not burnt. Hope that helps. I've never had any luck getting a good low carb loaf out of a bread machine. They are great though to do the kneading part.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #402
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enelkay
Stats: 206/145/back to 162/now 145 again
WOE: Moderately low-carb and mostly gluten-free.
Start Date: 11/98 LC; 4/07 GF. Now moderate carb & low gluten
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbmycarbs View Post
I am new to using this site, or any discussion forum actually. I'm also struggling to make that "perfect" low carb bread. where can I find your full recipe, and the 'tweaks?'
Welcome to the group! Stick around and make yourself at home!

If you read this complete thread, starting with Message #1, somewhere in it you'll find the original recipe followed by all of the tweaks. You'll also find a lot of hints that might apply to not only this recipe, but others as well.

You might want to check out some other bread recipes, too. You can find them by clicking on the "Recipes" link at the top of this (and every) page. The recipes section has hundreds of recipes, all divided into individual "cookbooks." No matter what you're looking for you'll surely find it there. I've been known to just get lost in there for hours, reading recipes and getting ideas.

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #403
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lene
Stats: 225/212/160
WOE: fat, fat, fat
Start Date: 9/1/12
I decided to give this bread a try for our bacon sandwiches tonight -- it's in the bread machine right now. I used the recipe as posted on page one, opting for 2/3 cup oat flour (I meant to use the ww pastry flour and totally forgot!) and oat bran and flax seed meal along with the vwg. I wish I'd remembered I wanted to use the ww pastry flour, because if I recall from reading this thread, that's when you get the best results? Ah well, I'm sure it will be tasty as it is. It's my first time using the vwg. I'm hoping I like it, I have quite a lot of it now. <g> I also used 1 Tb blackstrap molasses for the sugar, and did use the one Tb Splenda granular in there as well.

I have an ancient bread machine that we got at the second-hand shop, and it doesn't have a rapid setting or what have you, so I just chose the shortest setting it had, which said 2:40. I don't know if that will be two rises or just one. I hope one, because it sounds like two isn't a good idea. I had really kinda wanted to do the two loaf version in pans today, but I feel a bit poozly today and just decided to go with the easy lazy option of doing it in the machine. <g> When I have more energy, will try the other way, and will remember my darn ww pastry flour!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #404
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
low carb bread gluten free

As I do not eat wheat anymore due to gluten issues (only fermented spelt as it is very very low in gluten and I use it in my sourdough bread)

I have kinda moved away from this bread, plus I had huge huge issues baking at a high altitude with zero humidity.

I have on occasion made Jennifers gluten free sandwich breads, and Maria Emmeriches Bread recipes which are all gluten free.
I especially like Marias wraps.....like Jennifers also!
Great in their new cookbook thats featured in other threads here.
Good luck with your loaf - great for non low carbers as it has less carbs.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #405
Senior LCF Member

AAAACCKK!

My bread machine croaked! Luckily, it had finished the kneading and rising, and died just as it started the bake cycle, so I pulled the warm/hot dough out with greased hands and tried to de-fluffify it as little as possible, plopped it into a smaller-than-big-size-but-not-a-mini cast iron loaf pan I'd greased up with bacon grease, and am hoping it will bake up ok. It may be smaller than it would have been, having been partly deflated by handling at such a bad time, but it looks and smells great even so right now. It was nice and fluffy and bready and yeasty-smelling, and I have hopes that it will turn out ok despite the CATASTROPHE. <g>

Today is just not one of my days, I think. But warm bread (even if it isn't a *perfect* loaf) and crispy bacon will make up for a lot of bummers. I think I'll make some garlic spinach soup with some heavy cream and nutmeg and hot peppers to have with the sandwiches, I need something warm and "fall-ish" right now, as it is grey and dreary and wet here today. I think that the weather plus my darn dr. visit have put me in an "off" mood all day, and contributed to my run of bad luck. That darn bread machine would have worked just fine on any other day, but it could sense I was having a depressing and tiring day, and waited to pounce on me just because of that. LOL It's a good thing I can no longer drive, because you just know if I had been behind the wheel, the car would have blown a tire, and I'm afraid to even look cross-eyed at the computer as I type this for fear it will sense weakness...

Last edited by lene; 10-25-2012 at 11:41 AM..
Old 10-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #406
Senior LCF Member

It turned out! It looks fine, and tastes fine -- I think my son would like it to have a touch more sweetness, because it's a very whole wheat-y taste (despite my using oat flour and oat bran and flax, and only have the vital wheat gluten for wheat) but he says he likes it fine. The texture seems like a regular whole wheat bread, kinda chewy and bready and soft. It works for us! I'll have to see what a slice is like tomorrow morning, toasted and with butter and homemade pumpkin butter on it. I think it'll be a treat.

Thanks for the recipe, Jennifer!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #407
Senior LCF Member

Just wanted to add another post, post-meal. This bread was a success! When Jeff got home, we all had our bacon sandwiches and soup, and both guys declared the bread a hit, and Danny even chose to have extra later, toasted and with peanut butter on it. They were very impressed and surprised by how much like "regular" bread it is, and said they'll be happy having this for daily bread.

I really like it, too, and my only problem will be managing to limit my intake of it! So, a big thank you to Jennifer for developing this recipe for bread so good even my screwed up day couldn't mess it up!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #408
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Lene, your adventures in the kitchen read like an interesting story. Glad the bread turned out well anyway and was well received by your men.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #409
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarcasticwriter
Hi folks!

First post on the forum! I just wanted to contribute to the crowd-sourcing on this, since it was so helpful for me!

I made the recipe in my new Kenmore 102180 2 lb bread-maker. It has multiple settings, but no low-carb option. After dithering between "Quick" (1 hour, 48 minute cycle) and "Ultra Fast," (56 minute cycle) I went with "Ultra Fast," but the top was pretty light in color (like a white sourdough) when cycle was through, so I set it for another ten minutes or so. I'll try the "Quick" option next time.

I did the whole wheat pastry flour/ oat bran / oat flour version of ingredients.

Here's the thing that might be interesting - the Bob's Red Mill ingredients were all brand-new from their bags, and seemed to be packed down pretty hard, so I sifted the flours into the measuring cups. I don't know if that made a difference, but I couldn't *believe* how fluffy and finely textured the bread turned out! It was similar to an Oroweat loaf of plain sandwich bread, very moist and soft. That could also be a function of being slightly under-baked or having only extra-large eggs on hand, but I thought it might be interesting to people who are refining the recipe.

Last, I made some pretty decent garlic croutons with about 1/3 of the loaf. They're great with a cherry tomato and ciliegine-sized fresh mozzarella!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #410
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, Sarcasticwriter, for your valuable insights.

I feel honored that this thread has your first post.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #411
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: skinnylucy
Stats: keeping my lipid profile healthy
help using this

I wanted to ask rocky mtn rick if oat bran could be substituted for "oat fiber 500" and vital wheat gluten for "wheat protein isolate 8000" at least until I make another netrition order. I do not know how to do that. I clicked on his name but I couldn't find a send message button to push.

I'd also like to ask oliveoyl where to get the wholegrain bread recipe fronm jen eloff's more splendid low carbing . but don't know how to contact her either. I'v been told not to post my e mail so how do I talk to other specific individual on the list? (yes I'm over 50 and internet challenged) I used to bake GREAT bread...
Old 02-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #412
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnylucy View Post
I wanted to ask rocky mtn rick if oat bran could be substituted for "oat fiber 500" and vital wheat gluten for "wheat protein isolate 8000" at least until I make another netrition order. I do not know how to do that. I clicked on his name but I couldn't find a send message button to push.

I'd also like to ask oliveoyl where to get the wholegrain bread recipe fronm jen eloff's more splendid low carbing . but don't know how to contact her either. I'v been told not to post my e mail so how do I talk to other specific individual on the list? (yes I'm over 50 and internet challenged) I used to bake GREAT bread...
I'm not Rick, but sorry, you can't sub out the oat bran for oat fiber (or visa versa). It is a totally different product & ingredient. They work totally differently in recipes. Not sure what you could sub out there is anything. You can however sub the vital wheat gluten for the WPI 8000. It will sub out just fine. And tho the VWG will sub out fine, it is just a little higher in carbs, so I have switched over to the WPI 8000 when a recipe calls for VWG. But they can be interchanged. (Edited to say that you have not posted enough yet to be allowed to send PMs. Can't remember how many they say you have to post, but you are way short of it.)

And to find Jennifer, find one of her posts & clink on her link in her signature, (there are 2 & I can't remember which is which right now, but you should be able to tell, or try both). One will take you to her blog, and you can contact her there, or do a search for the recipe you're looking for.
Also, if you are able to use the PM (personally messages --- you have to have so many posts, or they do) you can contact them thru the PM. (For future reference to contact others.)
Hope that helps.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 02-02-2013 at 05:23 PM..
Old 03-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #413
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rebekahp1
Stats: Lost over 110 pounds with the help of my sleeve!
WOE: Low carb, high protein, high fat
Start Date: March 2012
I know this thread is an oldie but goodie, so I hope to catch someone's attention.

Here in Australia, we only have wholegrain flour. Is this the same as whole wheat flour? I will get my hands on a bag tomorrow & post the nutritional panel for comparison.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #414
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
I made this for the first time tonight. I used the whole wheat pastry flour, the oat bran and the flax meal. I put the dough in my bread machine on the dough setting. It kneaded and the rose once. I took it out, formed it into hamburger buns and baked it. It came out pretty tough and really chewy.

This is my first time every baking bread - so I don't know if it was supposed to turn out that way or if I did something wrong. Should I have let the dough rise a second time in the oven? When I was forming the buns the dough was very stretchy - should I have cut it with a knife rather than pulling it?

Should I have chosen a different combination than pastry flour, oat bran and flax meal?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
4th mini goal - 275 lbs
5th mini goal - weighing less than my husband

Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #415
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: funghi2
jen you seem to be the lc bread expert! wondering if you can ferment VWG to make a sourdough like product?
also are you guys a fan of bulgar wheat flour? i heard its low glycemic as well

Last edited by funghi2; 03-27-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Old 11-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #416
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msjaebea
Stats: 170/138/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1-1-13
Nobody has posted in this forum for quite a few months but I will post anyway. I'm newly registered but have been lurking here for a while now. Read through all 14 pages of posts and ready to try out this bread. I am blessed to have Bob's Red Mill about 8 minutes away and was able to buy all of my ingredients in bulk rather than in the packages. They also have a prepackaged low carb bread mix that I bought to get my bread machine working again. Its been over 10 years since I used it and even lost the manual. I will post on how that bread turns out.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #417
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msjaebea
Stats: 170/138/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1-1-13
The low carb Bob's Red Mill bread is amazing! I haven't had any bread for 8 months so maybe its partly that BUT, it is really good! I will still be working on the recipes on this forum though.