Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #361
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Luddy
Stats: 270 / 227 / 138
WOE: Modified Bernstein
Start Date: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveoyl View Post
When I made this recipe last week I threw in 1/4 cup coconut flour instead of the flax meal -- WOW! This is the best ever! Somehow the coconut flour solves all the problems the vital wheat gluten creates. The texture and consistency of the dough are just like regular dough using the original amounts of water and VWG (1 cup + 3 tbs and 1 1/4 cups) and the bread puffs up beautifully in the oven and sinks just a tiny bit as it cools -- no more collapsing! The slices aren't excessively chewy from the VWG and that slightly bitter flavor is gone. The flavor is out of this world -- best tasting low-carb loaf yet and my husband loves it (that's always the ultimate test, isn't it). I've posted before that just a very quick knead in my KitchenAid worked best for the old recipe, but with the coconut flour a 10-15 minute knead is necessary -- keep going till it's like regular wheat flour bread dough -- a solid mass gathered around the dough hook, very elastic and nice sheets of well-formed gluten if you stretch it. Also, measure the flours and water very carefully: 1 cup plus 3 tbs water and 1 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten -- that works perfectly for me. Once again, Jennifer, thank you so much for all your hard work and inspiration -- I was so sorry to see on your blog that you're thinking about retiring, but if anybody deserves a good rest, you certainly do!
OMG ... I just saw this thread today and made the recipe with the above tweaks. Easily the best LC bread I've ever had; however, the bread really didn't rise much. Both loaves were about the height of my little pinky. Is this the experience of anyone else?

I did notice after a 15+ minute knead that the dough was not balling up around the dough hook so I slowly added some flax until it did. Probably ended up being 2-3 TBSP ... Could that have been an issue?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #362
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I sure hope you have long pinky! I don't think the flax would have been an issue. When making the 2 loaves in the oven versus a bread machine bread, those 2 loaves do not rise that high. The bread machine bread is very big, but the 2 loaves do not rise as high (slices are about 4" high). Maybe the coconut flour bread is heavier? Someone with experience using a dough hook and mixer might be able to help out. I usually start with the breadmaker.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:19 AM   #363
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Luddy
Stats: 270 / 227 / 138
WOE: Modified Bernstein
Start Date: 2009
Thanks
Old 09-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #364
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lilsassy71
Stats: 279.5/278/230
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart: 04/01/12
sub
Old 09-24-2010, 04:54 AM   #365
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: roadgrl
WOE: carb counting with type 1 DM son
New to forum, and new to bread machines!
I tried the recipe last night with flax seeds - looks and smells amazing, both my kids asked to have sandwiches with it for lunch today.
I saw that someone had posted using sesame seeds instead of flax seeds and that got me thinking about trying semolina flour. Has anyone tried this?
Donna
Old 09-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #366
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Donna and welcome to the board!

Glad the bread passed the "kid" test.

I have not tried it with semolina flour, but you could use it to replace a little of the flour.

"Semolina flour is a type of flour that's derived from durum wheat. This flour is most often used to make pasta, but it has other, lesser-known uses. Semolina flour often produces a thicker, crispier product than other types of flour when it is added to baked goods such as breads and pizza crusts. It has a coarse consistency, almost like cornmeal, and therefore will slightly change the consistency of foods that it is used in." I found this info on E-How.

The only problem I can see is that is very high carbohydrates.
1/4 cup = 29 g of carbohydrate. That is almost as high as white flour which I think is around 34 grams of carbohydrate. However, if you only use 1/4 cup in the recipe, then the extra carbs added per slice is not too bad at all. Hope that helps.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #367
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: roadgrl
WOE: carb counting with type 1 DM son
well, I swapped out the Splenda and have used demerara sugar 2 tbsp without too many extra carbs
Interestingly, semolina flour tends to have higher protein content than the pastry flour it resembles (thinking about the 00 flour here, not the coarser stuff)... still looking at about 30 g carbs per 1/4 cup, I'll have to look into a whole grain version at our local whole foods store.
Meanwhile, we are no longer buying our bread, which is pretty great!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #368
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, that is such great news! Fancy enjoying only homemade, nutritious breads.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #369
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Hi Ladies!

Wow Jennifer you are such a gracious and giving child of God! and blessings to you!!

Thank you to all the ladies who have spent their time on top of Jennifer's time, perfecting the Kitchenaide technique and experimenting with so many versions! I really soooo wish I could have gluten! I can however, make this for my sissy and niece!

Angie, a quick question on the chia seed measurement, please? Did you measure the 1/4c as whole seeds or did you measure the 1/4c as meal? I ask because 2 scoops of the Rainforest brand chia make about 1/4c of meal ground in the coffee grinder.

Oh and thanks for the information about how to clean a coffee grinder!!!!

Just a note of caution to anyone grinding their own flax and chia in coffee grinders. Please refridgerate or freeze this meal asap. Keeping it away from air. Clean your grinder at once! I ground chia seeds this week and got too busy to clean out the grinder. I thought oh a day won't matter. When I came back the smell of rancid oil was overwhelming! I know these are highly polyunsatured seeds (chia and flax), so the Omega3s turn rancid very quickly!!

to all and I sure would appreciate any help with a gluten free bread that any of you lovely brainiacs can develop!

Also, Jennifer, you were going to post the recipe for your crispy crackers. Will I find that on your blog? (BTW, your books are on my Santa List! ) lady!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
Old 11-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #370
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Pooticus - I measured 1/4 cup chia meal.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #371
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Crispy Nutty Crackers

Thanks, Pooti - ditto to you! Your sissy and niece are so blessed to have you cooking and baking for them. I will work on an acceptable gluten-free bread one of these days. It is on my things to do list. Meanwhile here is the cracker recipe you wanted.

Thanks, Angie. I haven't seen you in a while. I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how you are?

CRISP NUTTY CRACKERS
These strong, gluten-free crackers are suitable for butter and cheese, a medium for appetizers or useful for dips or spreads. Try it with Bacon Cheese Spread (super recipe), which I’ll post here shortly. These recipes are a spin-off of the beloved Almond Thins.

Coconutty Crackers
(Neutral, nutty flavor and a light golden color – very robust and crunchy, and much nicer than commerical varieties, I think. I personally don’t notice a coconut flavor, but rather more of a nutty flavor.)

1 3/4 cups almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup finely grated cheese (I used Monterey Jack)
1 tbsp oat flour
1/2 tsp No Salt, or salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
3 egg whites (from large eggs), fork-beaten

Preheat oven to 325°F. In large bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, grated cheese, oat flour, No Salt (or salt) and white pepper. Stir to combine. Stir in fork-beaten egg whites really well until evenly distributed. Line cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper and spray liberally with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle cracker dough over entire cookie sheet. Using a small piece of plastic wrap placed over a portion of the dough, roll out evenly with a small rolling pin designed for rolling dough in pie pans or on pizza pans (or use a small heavy, cylindrical object such as an unopened food can); repeat. It will be clear where the dough is thicker and where it is thinner. If necessary, rob dough from the thicker portions and place on thinner portions, until the dough is more or less evenly distributed and nice and smooth. Score through to foil with dinner knife into 9 x 6 divisions.

Bake in center of oven 20 minutes. Remove very golden crackers from the outer edges by cutting along the cut lines. There might only be a few. Place inside crackers around the edges of the cookie sheet. Bake a further 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow crackers to cool completely. As soon as they are cool, store in a cookie tin with lid, such as those Danish cookie tins of old. Our crackers remain crisp even in our humid climate. If they do become soft (from leaving uncovered for hours in a humid climate, for instance), bake again in 325°F oven 5 to 10 minutes.

Helpful Hints: I have a gas oven (Whirlpool) these days, so baking times could possibly vary with electrical ovens. Other hard cheeses besides Monterey Jack may be used.

Nutritional Analysis: 54 crackers, 1 cracker per serving
20.9 calories; 1.0 g protein; 1.7 g fat; 0.4 g carbs

Variation:
Wholewheaty Crackers:
(These have more flavor as the flax meal flavor comes through. They look like wholewheat crackers Flax meal is a sort of “whole wheat” for low-carbers.)

1 3/4 cups almond flour
1/4 cup flax meal (dark or golden)
1/4 cup grated cheese (any kind – Monterey Jack is good)
1 tbsp oat flour
1 Splenda packet (to take the edge off the flax taste)
1/2 tsp No Salt, or salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
3 egg whites (from large eggs), fork beaten

Follow directions as for the Coconutty Crackers.

Helpful Hints: These crackers are slightly thinner and a little less hard than the Coconutty ones. My eggs are large, but they sometimes almost look X-large to me, so keep that in mind. The dough for both batches of crackers should be nice and moist, but not super wet (if it is, add a little extra almond or oat flour). It needs to roll out with ease under the plastic wrap.

Nutritional Analysis: 54 crackers, 1 cracker per serving
22.0 calories; 1.0 g protein; 1.8 g fat; 0.4 g carbs
Old 11-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #372
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Jenn, I have a couple of questions about the crackers above.
Are the 2 types of crackers on the bottom plate the ones in the 2 recipies?
In the plate on top, is that coconut on top, or grated cheese, or...? Are both the 2 recipes also on that plate, is it just one, or a completely different recipe?
I first thought it was coconut on the crackers on the top place, but then decided it was probably grated cheese.

Thanks!!! And thank you for sharing so many of your recipes with us!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #373
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Billie - the photo shows the wholewheaty kind on the left and the coconutty kind on the right. Yep, it's grated Montery Jack cheese.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #374
Major LCF Poster!

OK Thanks Jenn.
I really need to try some of these!!

Thanks again for all you share with us!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #375
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Hi Jennifer! I haven't been on the boards for a while, just been busy with work and shaking things up a bit with my diet. Work has slowed down a bit so I have time to play on LCF's! Thanks for all your yummy recipes, can't wait to try some the new ones posted!!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #376
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Jen is such a sweetie - she said of COURSE and attached a copy for me to reprint here:

WHOLEGRAIN BREAD
For crustier buns, toast lightly on both sides in nonstick pan. Copyright: More Splendid Low-Carbing with compliments for lowcarbfriends.com from Jennifer Eloff

1 cup water (250 mL)
3 tbsp olive oil (45 mL)
1 large egg
1 cup vital wheat gluten (250 mL)
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour, (150 mL)
OR oat flour
1/2 cup wheat OR oat bran (125 mL)
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry four, (50 mL)
OR flax seeds, ground, OR
oat flour, OR soy flour
4 tsp bread machine yeast (20 mL)
1 tbsp SPLENDA® Granular (15 mL)
1 tbsp granulated sugar (15 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)

In cereal bowl, heat water in microwave oven 1 minute. In bread pan, place water, olive oil, egg, vital wheat gluten, whole wheat pastry flour (or oat flour), wheat or oat bran, ground flax seeds (or whole wheat pastry flour, oat flour or soy flour), yeast, SPLENDA® Granular, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and baking powder. Program bread machine to Bread Rapid setting and color to medium. Remove 30 minutes before baking time is over or when brown in color.

Variations: Loaf Pan Breads (Two): Use 1 cup (250 mL) water, plus 3 tbsp (45 mL), 2 eggs, 11/4 cups (300 mL) 80% vital wheat gluten and 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder. Follow recipe above with these changes. Program bread machine to pizza cycle. Divide dough in two equal portions. Place each portion in greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch (2 L) loaf pan and place pans on bottom shelf in preheated 225°F (107°C) oven which is off. Cover lightly with foil. Allow to rise 40 minutes. Remove foil; switch on oven to 350°F (180°C), leaving loaves inside. Bake 30 minutes. Place loaves on cake rack to cool. Place in paper bag and leave at room temperature for crusty loaves. Refrigerate for longer storage or freeze. Yield: 2 Loaves, 22 slices each, 1 slice per serving. (2.0 g Carbs)

Hamburger Buns, Hot Dog Buns or Dinner Rolls: Same recipe as for Loaf Pan Breads above. Shape dough into 12 hamburger or 9 hot dog buns or 24 dinner rolls. Place on greased pizza pan. Spray buns with nonstick cooking spray. Proceed as above and bake 20 minutes. Yield: 12 Hamburger buns.
(7.4 g Carbs), 9 hot dog buns (9.9 g Carbs) or 24 Dinner Rolls. (3.7 g Carbs)

Also she wanted me to let everyone know that there will be discounts on her books here soon:

Healthy Low-Carb Living Blog

She's a doll!

BUMP BUMP BUMP!!

Getting ready to make another round of this for Christmas!!
Merry Christmas Jennifer and everyone!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #377
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Merry Christmas, Christina!
Old 02-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #378
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: looseal
Stats: 281.6/248.6/140
WOE: 1600 calories, low carb high fat
Start Date: 10/10/10
sub
Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #379
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Jen is such a sweetie - she said of COURSE and attached a copy for me to reprint here:

WHOLEGRAIN BREAD
For crustier buns, toast lightly on both sides in nonstick pan. Copyright: More Splendid Low-Carbing with compliments for lowcarbfriends.com from Jennifer Eloff

1 cup water (250 mL)
3 tbsp olive oil (45 mL)
1 large egg
1 cup vital wheat gluten (250 mL)
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour, (150 mL)
OR oat flour
1/2 cup wheat OR oat bran (125 mL)
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry four, (50 mL)
OR flax seeds, ground, OR
oat flour, OR soy flour
4 tsp bread machine yeast (20 mL)
1 tbsp SPLENDA® Granular (15 mL)
1 tbsp granulated sugar (15 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)

In cereal bowl, heat water in microwave oven 1 minute. In bread pan, place water, olive oil, egg, vital wheat gluten, whole wheat pastry flour (or oat flour), wheat or oat bran, ground flax seeds (or whole wheat pastry flour, oat flour or soy flour), yeast, SPLENDA® Granular, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and baking powder. Program bread machine to Bread Rapid setting and color to medium. Remove 30 minutes before baking time is over or when brown in color.

Variations: Loaf Pan Breads (Two): Use 1 cup (250 mL) water, plus 3 tbsp (45 mL), 2 eggs, 11/4 cups (300 mL) 80% vital wheat gluten and 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder. Follow recipe above with these changes. Program bread machine to pizza cycle. Divide dough in two equal portions. Place each portion in greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch (2 L) loaf pan and place pans on bottom shelf in preheated 225°F (107°C) oven which is off. Cover lightly with foil. Allow to rise 40 minutes. Remove foil; switch on oven to 350°F (180°C), leaving loaves inside. Bake 30 minutes. Place loaves on cake rack to cool. Place in paper bag and leave at room temperature for crusty loaves. Refrigerate for longer storage or freeze. Yield: 2 Loaves, 22 slices each, 1 slice per serving. (2.0 g Carbs)

Hamburger Buns, Hot Dog Buns or Dinner Rolls: Same recipe as for Loaf Pan Breads above. Shape dough into 12 hamburger or 9 hot dog buns or 24 dinner rolls. Place on greased pizza pan. Spray buns with nonstick cooking spray. Proceed as above and bake 20 minutes. Yield: 12 Hamburger buns.
(7.4 g Carbs), 9 hot dog buns (9.9 g Carbs) or 24 Dinner Rolls. (3.7 g Carbs)

Also she wanted me to let everyone know that there will be discounts on her books here soon:

Healthy Low-Carb Living Blog

She's a doll!
Hey Jennifer or anyone else that might know:

I just got myself a new Bread machine Ultimate Bread maker and I am wanting to try Jennifer's wonderful LC bread in it.

It has a LC setting but should I just go ahead and use the Rapid Wheat Setting instead?

Thanks everyone!
Christina
Old 04-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #380
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow, Christina, that's some new-fangled bread machine with a low-carb option. I'd be so tempted to try their low-carb option. I dare you! Let us know what happens if you try it.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #381
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
bumping to see how Christina's bread turned out
Old 06-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #382
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Haha - yes, Pam, I'd also like to know.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #383
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL!
I have not had a chance to try yet! Maybe this week?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #384
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: janealewis
Hi:
Quote:
GLUTEN-FREE LOW-CARB BAKE MIX

1 1/2 cups oat flour (certified gluten-free), OR soy flour (slightly lower carb)
1 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup sifted coconut flour (available from Netrition)
1 tsp Xanthan gum (available from Netrition)
I have candida and can't have anything with yeast, starch, sugar or dairy.
Is it possible to exchange the oat flour in that recipe for chickpea flour ... and what do you use for liquid ... what about baking soda?

Thanks folks,

Jane

I am looking for a bread recipe that comes close to a soda bread recipe.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #385
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jane, I'm sorry I haven't actually used that bake mix a whole lot. I have a new one that has only 3/4 cup oat flour in it and only 2 tbsp coconut flour. I'm sure you could sub whatever flour you like for the oat flour - just not a whole lot of them taste as good. I know quinoa flour works but it has an aftertaste that one has to disguise. I'm sure the same is true of millet flour and buckwheat flour. I have no idea what chickpea flour would be like, but I think it is not very low-carb. I don't have a soda bread recipe just yet but will work on one sometime. The bake mixes get subbed for the all purpose flour in recipes so you use the same amount of baking soda as suggested in the recipe. I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #386
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GeekChick
Stats: 227/222/135
WOE: Moderate low carb
Start Date: July 28, 2011
What's that flavor?

Hi Jennifer and everyone,

I made a batch of this bread in my breadmaker today (whole wheat pastry flour/wheat bran/oat flour) and it rose so high it wouldn't bake -- the lid of the breadmaker was up over an inch!! I cut off a hunk and let the rest bake, it came out wonderfully. Couldn't believe I had such success with my first try at LC baking.

I'm VERY new at all this, and my question is this: what is the main flavor that comes through on this bread, in this combo? It's got a slight bitterness to it -- is it the vital wheat gluten? Or wheat bran?

I'm a supertaster, so I have very sensitive taste buds, and I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to offset that flavor. A bit more sweetener? Butter instead of olive oil?

My husband, a non-LC, said it was really good and he'd be happy to eat it every day (sshhh, don't tell him there's a bit of splenda in it!) That, in itself, is amazing!!

Thanks for any ideas you might have,

Kim
Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #387
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Kim - that has happened to me as well. I just let it bake as is - it still bakes with the lid open - just let it bake for the entire time more or less.

Kim, it is the vital wheat gluten - I'm pretty sure of that. Did you add some vanilla to the bread? You could try adding some Parmesan cheese.
If your wheat bran was not old - it's probably not that. The other option is to reduce the VWG a bit - since your bread rose very high anyway - replace some of the VWG with whole wheat pastry flour. The bread will rise less high and have less of an overtaste for you.

Maybe somebody else will help out here. Glad your DH likes the bread. The other thing is - smother your bread in butter and preserves or peanut butter and also in time you will get used to low-carb bread. It is a little different.

Also, you don't need to use Splenda in the loaf - sub something else if your DH is anti.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #388
Major LCF Poster!

Kim, like Jennifer, I'm pretty sure it isn't the wheat bran (unless as she said, it is old & rancid - it would also smell rancid). I have never made this recipe (sounds too carby for me), but I do make a bread which I add wheat bran to, and it is not the least bit bitter. I have made the bread without the bran (just white bread), and I much prefer it with the wheat bran. So probably the VWG.
Actually, any of those main flour ingredients could be rancid, and cause bitterness. But again, most likely the VWG.
The bread I make also has VWG (or Wheat Protein Isolate 8000), but the proportion of it is not as much probably. "Speaking" of that, WPI 8000 works basically the same as VWG, has less carbs & more protein. It just isn't as readily available as VWG. Not really sure about the taste difference. I've used both, but in the recipes I usually use them it, I don't taste it anyway. So .

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #389
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 142/119.6/115
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2014
I made the bread but did not like it all that much so I made it into breadcrumbs. How long do yall think they will keep? They are not totally dry. Some are moist. DO I need to bake them or something?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #390
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How did you make your breadcrumbs? I toast bread and then crumble in a blender or food processor.

If some crumbs are moist, then I would lay the bread crumbs out on a cookie sheet and at about 300 deg. F. bake (keeping an eye on it!) until toasty. Then place in little baggies in the freezer. Either way even if you don't take this step, the bread crumbs will still work as filler for meat loaves, etc. Good job saving the ingredients!

There are many variations of this bread recipe. Hope you find a bread that you do like, however, low-carb breads typically rely on a lot of VWG to cut the carbs and VWG has a "taste". It takes some getting used to low-carb homemade bread - a little different in taste and texture; although I have some really good breads in my books (just a little bit higher carb than this). I have made a low-carb sandwich bread (2.2 g carbs for a slice more or less the same as store bought sandwhich bread) recently (makes 30 slices) and gluten-free. It has no funny taste. It does not need yeast or a bread maker and makes better toast than regular bread, I think - more absorbent of the butter and peanut butter, etc. (so almost like the qualities of an English muffin when toasted) This August I'll share it on my blog. Just need to get my act together and make it again and take some decent photos.

This is turning into a little book. Back to work here on my editing.