Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #331
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: threas
Stats: 5'6"~243/226/170-160
WOE: LOW CARB
Start Date: FEB.6th,2009
Hi Jen!! You're a genius! I just made rolls. They are fantastic! Thank you for this recipe!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #332
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Hey, Theresa, I'm happy you liked the rolls.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #333
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
When I made this recipe last week I threw in 1/4 cup coconut flour instead of the flax meal -- WOW! This is the best ever! Somehow the coconut flour solves all the problems the vital wheat gluten creates. The texture and consistency of the dough are just like regular dough using the original amounts of water and VWG (1 cup + 3 tbs and 1 1/4 cups) and the bread puffs up beautifully in the oven and sinks just a tiny bit as it cools -- no more collapsing! The slices aren't excessively chewy from the VWG and that slightly bitter flavor is gone. The flavor is out of this world -- best tasting low-carb loaf yet and my husband loves it (that's always the ultimate test, isn't it). I've posted before that just a very quick knead in my KitchenAid worked best for the old recipe, but with the coconut flour a 10-15 minute knead is necessary -- keep going till it's like regular wheat flour bread dough -- a solid mass gathered around the dough hook, very elastic and nice sheets of well-formed gluten if you stretch it. Also, measure the flours and water very carefully: 1 cup plus 3 tbs water and 1 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten -- that works perfectly for me. Once again, Jennifer, thank you so much for all your hard work and inspiration -- I was so sorry to see on your blog that you're thinking about retiring, but if anybody deserves a good rest, you certainly do!
Old 02-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #334
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: threas
Stats: 5'6"~243/226/170-160
WOE: LOW CARB
Start Date: FEB.6th,2009
Thanks, oliveoyl! I'm gonna try this over the weekend. What brand of coconut flour did you use?
Jen, I hope you don't retire from here. Please stick around!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #335
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
Bob's Red Mill. I've made this version three times now and pizza dough once and it really is my favorite.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #336
sds
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sds
Stats: 5' 10" 235/180/170
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: August 2009
I know no one has been on this thread for a few months now, but if someone could help me out, it would sure be great.
I have read all thru this thread, read the recipes, went to Jennifer's website, etc. etc.
I have one important question! When you make bread and other recipes on here, do you SIFT the flour before measuring, or after measuring, or not at all? I don't seem to read anywhere about sifting flour anymore, is that because people don't sift flour anymore or is it just taken for granted that we will sift the flour for all of these recipes, I'm a 65 year old man that just retired, so I decided to do some low carb baking, I've never baked in my life, so it should be a circus around here.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Last edited by sds; 05-22-2010 at 08:24 AM..
Old 05-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #337
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hpjrt
Hi Steve,

I don't know if you're supposed to sift the flour or not ... but I don't personally. I also don't "pack" the flour. I simply take my measure, fill it and then level it off with a kitchen knife.

I suspect that given the different flours generally used in low carb bread, I'm not sure if they would sift easily or not. On the other hand, I don't recall ever sifting flour for bread. I think it could be more for cakes that sifting was called for.

Hope this helps ...

Mary
Old 05-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #338
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Hi Steve - I do the same as Mary. I don't sift any of the flours, but I use a spoon to scoop the flours into measuring cups then level with a flat knife. LC bread is a bit different to make than regular white/wheat bread - it takes longer to knead and only rises once (from my experience). This bread is the best LC bread I've had commercial or otherwise.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #339
sds
Junior LCF Member

Thank you very much, Mary
I sure didn't expect such a quick reply, this site is great, and thank you again,
Steve

Thank you, Angie

You all are so sweet.

Last edited by sds; 05-22-2010 at 09:21 AM..
Old 05-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #340
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Hey, Steve, welcome to Low Carb Friends. There are so many recipes and help suggestions here. Enjoy. Julie
Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #341
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Steve (Welcome!) - I don't sift anything, except maybe coconut flour once in while, as it tends to get lumps in it. Follow the directions of Mary and Angie.

Wowzers, Angie, that is high praise! I want to make a rye bread version one of these days. Have you ever done that? I think Oliveoyl may have - I need to go back in the thread and read sometime when I get around to wanting to try that. My DH likes rye bread and any kind of bread really.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #342
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MiRedkitty
Stats: 247/165/150, or so
WOE: Atkins with a twist
Start Date: August 21, 2003
Jennifer, You Are a Culinary Goddess!!!

Have used the Whole Grain Bread Recipe for about a year. I Make a batch every couple of weeks. 1 batch will yield 6 "Hamburger" sized buns and 6 hotdog.

With summer upon us, we camp alot, so boy do they come in handy!

Yesterday, I wanted something more like "cocktail bread" to use for a heavy Artichoke Cheddar Dip/Spread. Sliced a hotdog bun into about 12 slices, brushed with clarified butter and baked for about 15 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool and Viola! Wow, WHAT A TREAT! No funky taste, crispy texture - no sponge, and LOW CARB! They store nicely in a zip lock with 1/2 piece papertowel in back.

Happy Summer to all!
Old 05-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #343
Major LCF Poster!

Mmm, rye bread would be wonderful! I haven't tried that yet, but it sounds great (DH loves ruben sandwiches, I'll have to give this a try soon for him!). This truly is amazingly great bread Jennifer, thank you for yet ANOTHER fantastic recipe! I'll post my results as soon as I make the rye version.

MIRedKitty - YUM! That is all.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #344
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Angie, my husband would really love that. You would be doing me a huge favor. I've been so busy developing other recipes and my husband is starting to nag me about this one.

MiRedKitty - Oh and by the way I know you're being very sweet but I'm such an ordinary person and could never accept such a title, however, I'm so humbled by the fact that you've all taken this simple recipe and run with it and perfected it and made it into something way more special. Wow! Thanks.

This bread would not be a sticky without all of you!

Keep up the good work everyone and keep us all posted on any breakthroughs.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #345
sds
Junior LCF Member

Has anyone on this thread baked Jennifer's bread recipe using a Zotirushi BBCC x20 (I think that is the correct spelling) bread machine? If so, what settings and times did you use? It seems that all bread machines bake different.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by sds; 05-26-2010 at 01:40 PM..
Old 05-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #346
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey, Angie, looks like Oliveoyl already did the rye bread test:

Another variation: "this recipe makes fantastic rye bread. Just substitute rye flour for the whole wheat pastry flour. Add caraway seeds and dill if you like. I used about a tablespoon of seeds and a teaspoon of dill. I didn't think the flavor was strong enough but my husband liked it. The carb count remains the same, although I used dark rye flour from Hodgson's Mill -- I don't know if light is higher. (if someone's already posted this idea, sorry! I didn't take the time to read through everything but thought you all might enjoy having rye bread again if you miss it!)"
Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #347
Major LCF Poster!

Oh cool! I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet. It's been a whirl wind week (and the weekend is going to be busy too). I just need to pick up some rye flour and give it a go, sounds great and DH is excited for a reuben sammy.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:12 AM   #348
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Steve, if you are going to do your bread completely in your bread machine, look for a bread rapid cycle (i.e. a shorter cycle). If you are going to simply knead the bread dough and put into two loaf pans in the oven to rise, then look for a button that says "knead" or "dough" or "pizza cycle" - that kind of thing.

Angie, I made both the oven version (i.e. two loaves - the sizes of the bread slices are more like loaf sizes) and the bread machine version. The bread machine version was huge (I took a pic and will post it later). I also added 1 tsp molasses (remove 1 tsp sugar) and 1 tbsp vanilla. Wow, this really masked any VWG taste. I didn't have any of the ingredients that Oliveoyl added. Super bread though! I used whole organic rye flour in both places -i.e. I didn't use the flax - just all flour. It's very easy to slice more than the number of slices suggested if the bread is completely cool.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #349
sds
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Jennifer for the reply. I want to do it all in the machine. My machine has a "Quick Setting" with the following time settings:

Preheat-5 min
Kneading-23 min
1st Rising-20 min
Stir Down-10 min
2nd Rising-30 min
Baking-50 min.
Keep Warm-60 min.

That's the Quick Setting, but my machine has a "Homemade Setting" that I can program--I can delete a cycle or cycles and/or change the minutes of the cycles. Jennifer, is there any cycle/cycles that you would delete or even add, and would you add or subtract any of the cycle's minutes?
At least this would give me a base to start with, and then I could make adjustments for the next try (depending on how my bread turns out).
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by sds; 05-29-2010 at 07:48 AM..
Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #350
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That sounds so complicated. I know the baking time stated is quite long (on my machine as well) and I had to remove my loaf which was lovely and brown 35 minutes before the end of the baking time. I think the cycle you just mentioned should work just fine. Try it and let me know! Curious me.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #351
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the tips Jennifer!

sds - If you can program your machine I'd try this because it's close to what I do by hand.

Preheat-5 min
Kneading-23 min
Rise -25 min
Baking-40 min

Once the loaf starts baking, I'd check it after 30 minutes or so because this bread cooks fast and can burn quickly.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #352
sds
Junior LCF Member

Thank you Jennifer

I Thank You Angie, I'll give your suggestions a try!
You both are so kind.
Steve

Last edited by sds; 05-29-2010 at 01:12 PM..
Old 05-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #353
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WHOLEGRAIN RYE BREAD

WHOLEGRAIN RYE BREAD
Adding the molasses and vanilla really helps mask any vital wheat gluten taste. This bread is tastier than many breads, low-carb or not! It also great toasted.

1 cup water (250 mL)
3 tbsp olive oil (45 mL)
1 large egg
1 cup vital wheat gluten (250 mL)
2/3 cup wholegrain rye flour (150 mL)
1/2 cup oat, OR wheat bran (125 mL)
1/4 cup wholegrain rye flour (50 mL)
4 tsp bread machine yeast (20 mL)
1 tbsp SPLENDA® Granular (15 mL)
2 tsp granulated sugar (10 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
1 tsp molasses (5 mL)
1 tbsp vanilla extract (15 mL)
1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)

In cereal bowl, heat water in microwave oven 1 minute. In bread pan, place water, olive oil, egg, vital wheat gluten, 2/3 cup (150 mL) rye flour, oat (or wheat bran), 1/4 cup (50 mL) rye flour, yeast, SPLENDA® Granular, sugar, salt, molasses, vanilla extract and baking powder. Program the bread machine to Bread Rapid setting (i.e. the shortest cycle). Remove 30 to 40 minutes before baking time is over or when brown in color. Easier to slice thinner when cool.

Variations: Loaf Pan Breads (Two): Use 1 cup (250 mL) water, plus 3 tbsp (45 mL), 2 eggs, 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) 80% vital wheat gluten and 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder. Follow recipe above with these changes. Program bread machine to pizza cycle or knead only. Divide dough in two equal portions. Place each roughly-shaped portion in greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch (2 L) loaf pan and place pans on bottom shelf in preheated 225°F (107°C) oven which is off. Allow to rise 40 minutes. Switch on oven to 350°F (180°C), leaving loaves inside. Set timer for 30 minutes (check sooner). Place loaves on cake rack to cool. Refrigerate for longer storage or freeze. Crisp the bread later again by placing in medium oven 10 minutes. Yield: 2 Loaves, 22 slices each, 1 slice per serving. (2.9 g Carbs)

Hamburger Buns or Dinner Rolls: Same recipe as for Loaf Pan Breads above. Shape dough into 12 hamburger or 9 hot dog buns or 24 dinner rolls. Place on greased pizza pan. Spray buns with nonstick cooking spray. Proceed as above and bake 20 minutes. Yield: 12 Hamburger buns.(10.7 g Carbs), or 24 Dinner Rolls. (5.3 g Carbs)

Nutritional Analysis:

Yield: 18/20 slices
1 slice
88.3/79.5 calories
6.8/6.2 g protein
3.0/2.7 g fat
6.7/6.0 g carbs

Helpful Hints: Organic whole grain rye flour is made by Arrowhead Mills.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #354
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hpjrt
I made this "bread" this afternoon ... I made "hamburger" buns with it.

I had made Jennifer's Oat Bran bread recipe previously, but I stupidly let it rise and then formed the "buns" ... so they didn't rise as well as I expected.

Today, since we are having pulled pork on buns for dinner, I wanted to actually have it on a bun ... so I made this. I got rid of my bread maker years ago ... so I just read through the thread ... and made it in my mixer with the dough hook. I shaped the buns ... put 'em in muffin top pans ... let 'em rise ... baked 'em for about 15 minutes [any longer and the bottoms would have been burned] ... and OMG ... they were wonderfully puffed up ... and didn't sink more than a smidge once cooled. Some were slightly larger than others ... because when I was cutting the dough, I didn't get them quite equal ... :blush:

I quickly sliced and froze all but two of them. I had to try one of the smaller ones with lunch ... and it was terrific! The other is for our pulled pork dinner ... and the rest will have to be thawed in order for me to eat them. [Thank goodness we have freezers! Portion control would be right out the window if I couldn't toss "extras" in the freezer!]

So this will be one more staple in my larder. Thanks Jennifer ... and thanks to everyone who has experimented and posted their results. What would I do without all of you talented cooks/bakers?

Mary
Old 05-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #355
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mary, I was thrilled to hear of your results with this bread and making hamburger buns! Yay! Thank you for sharing your experience. You're a great cook/baker too!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #356
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JunkInMyTrunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowzip View Post
I always make mine with my mixer.Just add dry ingredients to the mixer bowl, then add in wet ingredients. (only use one cup of water) and knead with dough hook. Put it in 2 smaller size loaf pans or one large loaf pan, Let rise for about 45-60 minutes then bake. It comes out wonderful. I would much rather use my mixer than a bread machine, Call me crazy but I think bread machines are more hassle than they are worth.
subscribing to this method
Old 06-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #357
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JunkInMyTrunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
DH has been complaining about not having any bread/buns so I made a batch of buns last night. I tweaked this recipe a bit more and I have to say this is my favorite version yet. I've been avoiding gluten (feel like it hasn't been treating me right lately), but thought I'd try some LC bread again to see what happens. Anyway, here are my tweaks. I made 12 good sized hamburger buns and 2 hot dog buns from this dough. FYI - I kneaded this dough for almost 20 minutes in my Kitchenaid - this dough needs a pretty long knead time in order to be workable (form buns). These buns didn't sink either, and aren't really chewy - the texture and taste is just awesome.

1 cup water + 3 TBS (295 mL) (I used 97 degree filtered water)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (45 mL)
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten (300 mL)
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour (150 mL)
1/2 cup ground salba seeds (chia) (125 mL)
1/4 cup buckwheat flour (50 mL)
4 tsp bread machine yeast (20 mL) (I used rapid rise)
1/8 tsp pure stevia powder
1 tbsp granulated sugar (15 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
2 tsp baking powder (10 mL)
1 tsp blackstrap molasses

ETA: these buns rose for 30 minutes, baked at 350 for 20 minutes on middle rack (I had them on the bottom rack and almost burned the bottoms - the bottom of my oven is extremely hot though.
Want to try this
Old 06-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #358
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: estefern12
Jennifer, would you please help me? I don't have or can afford a bread machine. I only have a regular, natural gas oven. I'm doing low carb. I want to be able to eat very low carb bread and similar stuff (pitas, tortillas, pizza crust, brownies, etc.) --and, preferably, free of all other stuff that could hurt my weight loss (gluten? yeast? sweet? wheat? I really don't know what of that, if any, in general, deters weight loss, let alone particularly to me...). Would you please share the best tasting, most bread-like tasting, lowest carb bread recipe and the detailed instructions as to how to bake it in my regular oven? Thank you so very much in advance for your help! Blessings,
Old 06-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #359
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Bumping this again..

I have not made this in a while because I am TRYING to be good..lost back down to 135 now...

I am going to make 2 loaves of the original recipe (since I dont care for Rye) next week..one for a friends baby shower and one to freeze and take on Vacation with me in August for Sandwiches..

LOVE this bread!!
Old 06-18-2010, 07:28 AM   #360
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey, Christina, congrats on keeping your weight down over the long term. It's normal for most all of us to have to keep tabs on our weight from time to time.

Estefern - welcome to this wonderful low-carb community! This bread is one of the best and several talented people have run with it and even improved on it!

However, it is quite possible that you need something that is grain free in the beginning of your low-carb journey and that this bread can feature later. It really is a your mileage may vary thing. Everyone is different. My husband loses very well eating low-carb breads, however, another person may struggle. If you read through the thread, you will see that people have made these breads mostly without a bread maker. My blog has many bread alternatives and even on lowcarbfriends I have some recipes. Obviously, my cookbooks contain many more of those staple baking items you mention that you wish to replace in your diet with low-carb alternatives. Use the Search feature for Fast Cheesebread on LCF's (makes good toast) - use the grain free version unless you are allergic to vital wheat gluten. Kent Altena (Bowulf) demonstrated this easy bread in a video. He loves it and says it makes great French toast. Hope that info helps you.