Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jill72
Stats: 162/125/120's
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/31/08
Took the bread out of the oven a few minutes ago and put it in a draft-free place to cool (not sure if that helps with the sinking, but sounds logical lol). The buns have NOT deflated yet and it's been about 15 minutes since I took them out. They are light and airy and delicious looking (about the size of a regular commercial hamburger bun).

My kneaded dough weighed 735 grams and I put half of that into the loaf. The buns I weighed out at about 91g/ea. and I got 4 large buns. Weighed after baking, they are 84g.

Thanks for all your help, Angie and thanks Jen and others who've contributed to this great bread thread! I'm going to have a cheeseburger with all the 'fixins' for lunch!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #302
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Yay! The buns rise extremely high don't they!? Some of the buns I made deflate just a tad (using oat and buckwheat) but I've had great luck with the ww pastry flour buns not deflating (using the ground chia seeds). I'm so glad to hear your buns and loaf turned out well! The loaf may deflate a tad. This is my favorite LC bread, so versatile. Huge thanks to Jennifer for coming up with such a great recipe!
Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Have to report that the loaf sank like a stone lol. I did manage to get a slice decent enough to put in the toaster and the rest I'll use for breadcrumbs.

Angie, I used oat flour since I didn't have any buckwheat flour. I wanted to ask you, though, if you replaced the wheat bran (noticed it wasn't in your last recipe) because you didn't like the taste? I have some and am thinking about using it next time I make this bread.

I'm amazed there was none of the 'bitter' taste you can sometimes get with 100% whole wheat breads. I did incorporate a tip I'd read - it said, "1 T. orange juice will tame any residual whole-wheat bitterness the sensitive palate might detect". So I added it lol.

I'm also thinking of trying this with white whole wheat flour. King Arthur's website says it has the same nutritional profile as red whole wheat and is 100% whole grain, so I picked up a pound to play around with.

Oh, and my buns are still holding their shape - no sinking. I didn't preheat my oven, I put a bowl of very hot tap water on the oven floor and then set my loaf and buns on the middle rack to rise. That may account for the fast rise (it was very warm and humid in the oven). Further experimenting will be fun!
Old 09-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #304
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I made the buns, and I just got done toasting one and puttin sliced turkey, mayo, and lettuce on it. My husband said it tasted like Schlotsky's bread. These are fantastic toasted. Making some more soon. Thanks Jen. Julie
Old 09-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Jill - I replaced the wheat bran with the ground chia seeds. I do like wheat bran, but adding in the chia and wheat bran would have been just too much fiber for me!

My loaf sunk also (I think I've only ever made 2 loafs with this - I really prefer the buns) but just in the middle. The ends were like normal bread. LOL. What I like to do is also make hot dog buns (I use the mini wilton loaf pans) and those don't sink. They are great for big sandwiches (DH loves them). I use the buns for any sandwich (when I have one).

I was big into bread making back in the day. I loved King Arthur's white whole wheat flour, made a great bread. I think both whole wheat and white whole wheat flours are higher in carbs than the whole wheat pastry flour or oat and buckwheat flours. I try to get as many buns as I can from this dough to keep the carbs somewhat low.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #306
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info, Angie. I'm mixing up another batch lol. Hubs won't eat white bread at all so this is mainly for him. I love Kevin's bread and bun recipe for me (lower carbs - I worked too hard to get the weight off), plus these are a little chewier than I prefer. Taste and flavor are great though.

Julie - I used to LOVE Schlotzky's - their reuben sandwich was soooooo good. Wish they'd use low card buns LOL.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Another Bread Thread Based on the Good Bread Recipe

Jill, I'm so glad your hubby is appreciative. He might also like Miboje's hamburger bun recipe which is less chewy (less vital wheat gluten) and the flavor is very good. She even made cinnamon buns out of her variation of the good bread recipe. Her photos look amazing! She was trying to get away from the taste of the vital wheat gluten. I believe she was successful. They are slightly more carby, but maybe some people will prefer them and feel it is worth the few extra carbs.

Here is Miboje's Variation:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ff-s-buns.html
Old 09-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #308
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Jen. I do so much appreciate you sharing this wonderful recipe with us! Miboje's version is on my list to try. I think I may be making some novice-baker mistakes and right now I'm trying to experiment to see which ones are the culprits...over-kneading, over-rising, oven too warm, oven not warm enough, etc. LOL. I wasn't much of a bread baker during my HC days, and this LC baking is a major challenge! So happy to have experts such as yourself and the other generous posters to guide us through the process.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #309
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jill, that is why I like using a bread machine - It takes the guess work out of things. In actual fact, with the bread machine, this bread goes through 2 rises. Using a Kitchenaid or a Sunbeam Mixmaster means one has to be a bit more of an "expert" when it comes to judging when the dough is ready. Angie, who is actually an expert baker, very kindly gave us detailed instructions as well as illustrated them with fabulous, informative photos. She eloquently explained the "window pane test" and really that is what tells one when the dough is ready. If the dough is not quite ready or over-kneaded, results are unpredictable to say the least. So don't feel bad, you're doing exceptionally well with your experimenting. It really is sometimes a challenge to do low-carb baking.

When I make the bread machine bread using all whole wheat pastry flour options (18 slices at 4.9 g carbs each), it usually pops the top in the vertical pan type bread machine. Such fun!! This is really the easiest option to try and then go from there.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #310
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ZomZom, hope you see this. Reading through this thread I noticed you once asked me a question about how many rises my bread goes through in the machine - two. However, that said, I use the rapid cycle as a very long cycle probably will not work well. Also the pizza cycle that I use for the hamburgers is one knead and one rise and then form into buns or loaves, however, some people say the texture is improved if the dough is simply kneaded and then taken out of the machine and allowed to go through one rise. Hope that helps. Sorry for missing your question earlier.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zomzom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
ZomZom, hope you see this. Reading through this thread I noticed you once asked me a question about how many rises my bread goes through in the machine - two. However, that said, I use the rapid cycle as a very long cycle probably will not work well. Also the pizza cycle that I use for the hamburgers is one knead and one rise and then form into buns or loaves, however, some people say the texture is improved if the dough is simply kneaded and then taken out of the machine and allowed to go through one rise. Hope that helps. Sorry for missing your question earlier.
Jennifer - many thanks for getting back to me regarding my question - truly appreciated. I will experiment again with my bread machine. I have the option of a "home made" cycle on it and will probably make bread/rolls using the knead, one rise, and bake. I shall then try knead, two rises, bake. After that, I will just use the machine to knead, and then I'll shape, put some dough into a loaf pan, and the rest will go into making rolls.

It may be a little while before I post the results ... I don't go through bread very quickly but will get hubby on the case and get him to eat my experiments!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Im not an expert but I have been making this recipe a few times and it should really only rise once. Two rises is for traditional bread and it kills our low carb dough. If you are using a bread machine, you want it to knead, rise and then bake..not rise twice. Hope that helps..
Old 09-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #313
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

To Prevent Confusion over the Rising Issue

Mallory, I'm sure it would "kill" the bread dough with two rises if I was using the mixer such as a Kitchenaid or Sunbeam mixmaster, however, the way the original recipe is written using a bread machine - this bread dough somehow makes it through two rises without a problem. Don't ask me how. I'm not sure about the bread rapid cycle for the bread machine bread - it is possible that it goes through only one rise or the full cycle just shorter, however, my pizza cycle includes kneading and one rise for the buns - take the dough out, shape, let rise again and bake.

That said, people have discovered that even if they use the pizza cycle, by removing the dough before the rise, they get a better bread texture.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Mallory, I'm sure it would "kill" the bread dough with two rises if I was using the mixer such as a Kitchenaid or Sunbeam mixmaster, however, the way the original recipe is written using a bread machine - this bread dough somehow makes it through two rises without a problem. Don't ask me how. I'm not sure about the bread rapid cycle for the bread machine bread - it is possible that it goes through only one rise or the full cycle just shorter, however, my pizza cycle includes kneading and one rise for the buns - take the dough out, shape, let rise again and bake.

That said, people have discovered that even if they use the pizza cycle, by removing the dough before the rise, they get a better bread texture.

Mine is a Sunbeam bread machine from Walmart...what I do is mix and kneed 1 time in my bread machine..take it out...shape it...then let it rise to your instructions because even with the fast cycle or pizza cycle on mine its 2 rises so it wont work...
Old 09-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #315
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My Low-carb Breads and Bread Rapid Cycle

I need to help with some possible confusing messages here:

My bread rapid cycle does have 2 kneads and 2 rises (just a much shorter time) and with this particular bread - it does work - and it works with all of my low-carb breads - however, a regular, long cycle will definitely make the bread flop! However, I don't think it will work using a mixmaster or Kitchenaid - I could be wrong. Keep to one rise if using those appliances.

I also meant to say I use the pizza cycle (one knead and one rise) for my hamburger buns - take the dough out and pinch off equal pieces and let rise again and then bake. But as I mentioned before, that extra rise is being skipped by some people and they are only using the kneading of the dough in the machine. Someone said it produces a better bread texture.

That said, I tried to do Miboje's (Bobbi) recipe as a machine bread and it flopped, even on the bread rapid cycle - so it is an example of a low-carb dough that can handle only one rise and is better for making hamburger buns, etc.. Low-Carb Bread is very temperamental -totally unpredictable at times!

Last edited by Jennifer Eloff; 09-16-2009 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: pizza cycle explanation added
Old 09-17-2009, 04:13 AM   #316
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Jennifer...Mine are LONG cycles knead and rises..that is why I just do mix, knead then take out shape and bake.. Sorry for not making that clearer... I did try to make yours 1 time with mine and it flopped...

Last edited by mac24312; 09-17-2009 at 04:17 AM..
Old 09-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #317
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah yes, I understand Christina. Thanks for explaining that. So, you're saying some machines with a bread rapid cycle still use fairly long cycles - too long for low-carb bread. That's too bad. Mine is a Hitachi (my preferred bread machine - vertical pan) and the other I have is a Breadman (vertical pan) and the other is a Toastmaster (horizontal pan). I find the vertical pans make bigger breads. I like it when they literally pop the top!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #318
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi!

This sunbeam I got a Walmart and I have two other before never did like this one did...just my machine..I don't mind at all..I just take it out..shape and rise and bake..
Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: missymagoo12
Stats: 235/225/145
WOE: stellastyle,atkins
Start Date: april 2004
bump it up please. sue
Old 01-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerikay
WOE: Low GI
Start Date: Jan. 2007
just tried and love

I just made some of this bread in my breadmaker. I love it, my DH thought it was too sour. I'm thinking of adding a little honey/molasses/agave nectar next time.
Could I use veg. oil or canola oil instead of olive oil? I used my last bit and wanted to make another loaf right away.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #321
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Jeri - so nice to see you!

Of course, you can use whatever oil you have on hand. Wonder what the sour taste is that your hubby is picking up on? Did you use the basic bread or one of the wonderful variations on this thread? Good for you thinking of how you can mask that. He might be tasting the VWG.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Jennifer- I used the recipe with 3/4 cup vwg. I'm going to make some tonight! My 1st loaf popped the top! I'm thinking of leaving out the ground flax seed and doubling the wheat bran.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #323
Senior LCF Member

My goodness-this bread is delicious! I went to Whole Foods this afternoon and got me some whole wheat pastry flour and vital wheat gluten in their bulk bins. I did not put flax seed this time-just extra wheat bran and 1 tsp. agave nectar. DH loves it.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #324
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Jeri, for the feedback and the interesting tweaks. I rediscovered your blog and noticed the mention. Thanks so much!!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #325
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24312 View Post
I am betting it the VWG I am using too now I think about it because I get it from Walmart and its the 70 percent (Hodgen Mills)..I get my Rolled Oat to make my Oat Flour at Walmart too. I will post that question for you for Kevin and see what he has got to say and I will e-mail you and let you know..I did the 2 loaf version. I will leave the extra 3 TBS of water out of my Loaves when I make them again next week..see..I told you I was getting to LOVE this..lol

I use my High Power Food Processor to grind mine in..

That fine..I just e-mailed you again..lol...Sorry about that...Just holler when you get time Jennifer...

HUGS!
Christina
Christina, can I ask in what part of Wal-Mart do you find the vital wheat germ, in the pharmacy part where they have the protein powders and other stuff like that, or in the food section with the flours and such?

Cindi
Old 02-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #326
Senior LCF Member

I made another batch of this delicious bread. I made 6 rolls with this batch also. So yummy. I know they are not beautiful, but they are tasty and both DH and I are very pleased with the taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolls.jpg (36.0 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by jerikay; 02-01-2010 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: adding text
Old 02-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #327
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmobxnc View Post
Christina, can I ask in what part of Wal-Mart do you find the vital wheat germ, in the pharmacy part where they have the protein powders and other stuff like that, or in the food section with the flours and such?

Cindi
Hi cindi

Do you mean Vital Wheat Gluten?

As of last week my local walmarts do not have it now..if you can find Vital Wheat Gluten it is with the flour on the top row of most of them.

I get mine at my local Amish store now and a local produce store carries it with their speciality flours. I also get wheat Germ there also.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TooSweetForMe
Stats: 178/178/150
WOE: lower carb / type 2 diabetic
Start Date: September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24312 View Post
Hi cindi

Do you mean Vital Wheat Gluten?

As of last week my local walmarts do not have it now..if you can find Vital Wheat Gluten it is with the flour on the top row of most of them.

I get mine at my local Amish store now and a local produce store carries it with their speciality flours. I also get wheat Germ there also.
I'm sorry your local Wal-Mart doesn't have it, I did a search on Walmart.com and it has Vital Wheat Gluten flour made by Bob's Red Mill. Is that the same thing?
Old 02-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #329
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think so because I have used that in stuff for VWG and it works fine..
Old 02-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #330
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 123Nkechi
Stats: Fat/Still Fat/Not So Fat
WOE: Low carb (or something like it)...
Start Date: Starting Over...AGAIN!!!
bump