Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Recipe Forum Sticky Threads (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipe-forum-sticky-threads/)
-   -   Homemade Low Carb Milk (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipe-forum-sticky-threads/550601-homemade-low-carb-milk.html)

CarolynF 04-10-2008 02:29 PM

Homemade Low Carb Milk

I was experimenting to make a cheaper version of CC milk and I do think it is pretty darn good.

Homemade Low Carb Milk

One cup:

1-2 Tbs. of heavy cream (depending on how creamy you want it)
1 1/3 Tbs. of instant dry milk
1 cup of cold water
sprinkle of salt
tiny sprinkle of splenda (if you want)

Just put the ingredients in and shake it up. Refrigerate.

Calories 65 if 1 Tbs. of cream is used, 110 if 2 Tbs. of cream is used
5 grams of fat / 10 grams of fat
3 carbs / 3 carbs
2 grams of protein / 2 grams of protein

Of course, you can double/triple, etc. the recipe. But it's pretty cheap to make.

babydollsea 04-10-2008 02:57 PM

Thanks so for this, Carolyn! I can't wait to try!!!!:clap:

Kisal 04-10-2008 03:41 PM

Thanks so much, Carolyn! I have Scott123's recipe and all the stuff to make it, but have never tried it. I finally found a store here -- other than Walmart -- that carries CC milk, but the dairy manager told me Hood was backordering the chocolate flavor, and he wasn't sure how much longer they would be able to get the plain flavor. I hope Hood doesn't discontinue it, now that I've finally found the stuff, but at least your recipe gives me a simple option if CC completely disappears from the shelves! :clap: :clap:

Barbo 04-10-2008 07:37 PM

Carolyn

My gosh girl this is teriffic. Did you use whole powdered milk?
Or did you use skim powdered milk? Whole would be lower in carb.

Kevinpa 04-10-2008 07:52 PM

Carolyn, I have been looking at several different dry powdered milks and as far as I can tell the lowest carb count I found for that 1 1/3 T. is about 6 carbs which is still LC compared to other milks using your recipe....what kind of dry milk are you using?

jlatislaw 04-10-2008 08:59 PM

Kevin:
Not Carolyn, but I have a box of Carnation Instant Nonfat dry milk that has 12 carbs for 1/3 c. It's easier if you convert it to teaspoons so 1/3 c. = 16 t. 12 carbs divided by 16 t. = .75 carbs per teaspoon. Since Carolyn is adding 4 teaspoons then 4x.75=3 Sure hope this tastes decent!! Sometimes it's hard to get CC milk here.

CarolynF 04-11-2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlatislaw (Post 10173026)
Kevin:
Not Carolyn, but I have a box of Carnation Instant Nonfat dry milk that has 12 carbs for 1/3 c. It's easier if you convert it to teaspoons so 1/3 c. = 16 t. 12 carbs divided by 16 t. = .75 carbs per teaspoon. Since Carolyn is adding 4 teaspoons then 4x.75=3 Sure hope this tastes decent!! Sometimes it's hard to get CC milk here.

Yup..I used the Great Value non-fat powdered milk and the counts are exactly like jlatislaw's. I think it does taste really good and I made it with the 1 Tbs. of cream, but 2 Tbs. would be extra nommie. It DID need a touch of salt and a touch of Splenda, but each to his own.

I "think" my box of powdered milk was around $5.00 ish..but that would make
32 Quarts of faux milk and of course the cream is about $1.50 a cup, and that would make 4 quarts of faux milk. So..ballpark 53 cents for a quart of the faux milk. Hopefully, my prices are right..Can't member exactly, but it is certainly
lots cheaper and you can have this on hand very easily.

Barbo 04-11-2008 12:49 PM

Carolyn

This is a blessing to us because we never know if our one market
that carries it will continue. It's very precarious. Thanks for the
alternative. Will be making this. I agree on the salt and sugar sub.
CC milk does not have much flavor even in the 2%. The chocolate is
great.

CarolynF 04-11-2008 12:56 PM

Yup..you just never know when CC will bite the dust. Plus, it is so nice to have "things" on hand to make pudding with..Much cheaper than buying the CC..DH loves the chocolate..:)

Zer 04-11-2008 12:57 PM

What a great idea!

You mean I can have the milk that I crave like a junkie craves drugs? Yay!!!

CarolynF 04-11-2008 01:08 PM

Zer: All things in moderation..LOLOL..

Zer 04-11-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynF (Post 10175973)
Zer: All things in moderation..LOLOL..

I have to look that word up every dang time I hear it. I was born IMmoderate!

Tater Head 04-11-2008 06:47 PM

Birgit's Not-Milk is really good too. I save those glass jars that have blue cheese dressing in them from Costco, they look like the old time milk jugs. I put this milk in it and when it gets very cold the next day, it's great. I will try yours and see if I like it as well. Thanks Carolyn :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not-Milk

Makes just over 1 cup
Ingredients:
1 tbsp CMF unflavored whey protein isolate
1 tbsp buttermilk powder
1/4 tsp splenda
2 tbsp whipping cream
1 cup water

Preparation:
Mix dry ingredients and whisk vigorously into the water until everything is dissolved. Chill and use like regular milk. Shake before each use.

Nutritional Information: 0.5 carbs, 11g protein

* The taste turns out most like milk with the above ingredients. Substituting different ingredients may yield different result!

To me this tastes just like regular Milk when chilled.

I get the best "real milk" taste with the CFM whey protein isolate from the protein factory but you may well find a local substitution that works for you like the Now brand from netrition.
Debbie.........

CarolynF 04-11-2008 06:52 PM

Hey, Debbie, since you are a "faux" milk expert, I'll be anxious to hear how you like this one.
I even drank it right after I mixed it up..:)

Barbo 04-11-2008 08:11 PM

CarolynF

I just bought some whole powdered milk by Nestle from Amazon.com

I have a bit of it here from a farm in Costa Mesa given to me as a gift.
Will try the milk and let you know what I think. I feel so much safer
knowing that we can make our own.

One more little thank you.

Barbo 04-11-2008 09:50 PM

Low Carb Milk

CarolynF and everyone.

I had whole milk powder in my freezer so I made the recipe
and doubled it and put it in a shaker and it tastes pretty darned good.
Bet when it's ice cold it will taste better than CC.

Went to USDA and got the carbs for 1 c. whole milk powder, (49)
It breaks down to 3 g carb per tb, add 1 carb for the extra teaspoon.
That makes it 4 grams carb, per cup. I don't know how many carbs in
2 tbs. cream? It really needed the salt and the sugar sub to make
it taste right, but's doggoned good. I can't wait for the comparison
taste test tomorrow.

Now for chocolate, just make a paste with your cocoa, a little water,
some sugar sub. and go for it.

theislandgirl 04-11-2008 11:22 PM

6g per 1 Cup for whipping or heavy cream, IIRC, so a fraction (6/16) for a Tbsp.

Whatever carbs or fractions of carbs in the sugar sub.

Pretty good, either way.

:hiya:

CarolynF 04-12-2008 05:49 AM

Speaking of chocolate..I took a pack of the Diet Hot Chocolate..added some hot water to
make it dissolve, then poured in some faux milk..It was yummy..more carbs than the real
chocolate countdown, but it was quick and easy. I will try the cocoa/splenda/water sometime.

lori121 04-12-2008 06:14 AM

Can't wait to try this.

Motts Landing 04-12-2008 11:02 AM

thanks CarolynF for the recipe..very clever!;) This will be quite useful for cooking with!!! Any idea how long one might be able to keep this in the fridge? Reason I ask how long is cos I made a single batch for DH to try. DH loves milk but could not tolerate this taste since he really wants the real McCoy so to speak.(Moo moo) Now I do not drink milk at all...never could stand the taste. So I have a glass full that he won't drink but I hope to save it to use in a recipe sometime next week & don't want it to go to waste. Any chance of it freezing well?

WyomingDiva 04-12-2008 08:16 PM

This is a great recipe. Thanks. CC is erratically available here as well, so I appreciate the idea!! ;)

Barbo 04-12-2008 08:38 PM

Recipe Review and Report

This morning we did a blind test taste of the CC milk, vs.
Carolyn's milk. My hubs rolled it around in his mouth and he said
of CC milk, this is very bland and kinda like a powdery taste.
Then he got Carolyn's milk, and said Oh I like this one, it tastes
very good. Boy am I happy. Next time I'll make it with on Tb. cream'
per glass and see if we still are happy with it.

Thanks bunches. This is something I shall be making all the time.
I need a better price on whole milk powder than I did get from Amazon.com
and their shipping killed the deal. So the search begins for powdered
whole milk.

sungoddess 04-12-2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 10181057)
I need a better price on whole milk powder than I did get from Amazon.com
and their shipping killed the deal. So the search begins for powdered
whole milk.

Try WalMart, only look in the Hispanic section or by baby foods since it is a product they use for growing children. Brand name is Nido by Nestle.

Nikki2777 04-13-2008 02:39 AM

Amazing recipe... will try it as soon as I get the powdered milk.

Nikki

rowdy1 04-13-2008 05:14 AM

Carolyn...between you and Kevin and a buncha other creative minds in this place...we are soooo hooked up.

Fabulous idea on the milk. I have some of the powdered stuff in my pantry...I'll have to break it out and see how it stacks up.

:cool:

lcmiller461 04-13-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Not-Milk

Makes just over 1 cup
Ingredients:
1 tbsp CMF unflavored whey protein isolate
1 tbsp buttermilk powder
1/4 tsp splenda
2 tbsp whipping cream
1 cup water

Preparation:
Mix dry ingredients and whisk vigorously into the water until everything is dissolved. Chill and use like regular milk. Shake before each use.

Nutritional Information: 0.5 carbs, 11g protein

* The taste turns out most like milk with the above ingredients. Substituting different ingredients may yield different result!

To me this tastes just like regular Milk when chilled.

I get the best "real milk" taste with the CFM whey protein isolate from the protein factory but you may well find a local substitution that works for you like the Now brand from netrition.
Debbie.........
Is the .5 carb count for the entire cup??? Am I reading this right?

Tater Head 04-13-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcmiller461 (Post 10182049)
Is the .5 carb count for the entire cup??? Am I reading this right?

I assume so, this is not my recipe, so I didn't do the math on it. The girl that did come up with this gets a very lowcarb powder buttermilk somewhere.

CarolynF 04-13-2008 04:33 PM

Thanks, guys..

And, think of it..this "faux" milk has fewer preservatives in it than CC down..I will look for the Hispanic milk powder..

I think it would stay fresh as long as your cream would...at least a week, I would think.

Barbo: You are so funny..I do think we could compromise and do 1 1/2 Tbs. of the heavy cream per cup. Your dh is a good sport, isn't he?

Cathieinut 04-13-2008 05:00 PM

Thanks Carolyn...I keep soy milk on hand for my DH because he was having mucus problems with real milk and he is OK with it...don't get on me soy haters and yes I have read the info but he doesn't want to not have some sort of milk so this is what we do! LOL
I use it when I need to for LCing but your's sounds better to me and I will try it out and see what I think compared to the soy stuff.
I don't use much milk and the CC would go bad before I could use it up and I don't have room to freeze it so I just stuck with either heavy cream or DH's soy stuff
(waving to you from the ICMYT Challenge group)

CarolynF 04-13-2008 05:06 PM

Hi Miss Cathie..

Yes, give this a whirl..(so to speak). It is so convenient, as long as you have fresh cream..:)