Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 09:45 AM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Carolyn and Linda, the Container Store (you can order online - I did) has really cute liter bottles called "Quatro Stagione" (I think). Shipping is not too bad.

Soon, another really good dry milk can be had from Grandma's Pantry, called "Country Cream". This milk, along with the one from Provident Pantry, has a different powdered texture than the dry milk you buy in the grocery store. They are more of a fine powder as opposed to granulated. This seems to make a difference in taste - at least to me. They taste fresher and less like "boxed milk". Must be a processing thing. They do not dissolve as easily but I prefer their flavor.

Ginny

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2008, 09:51 AM   #182
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Thanks, Ginny for the information..These other milks must not be "instant", but if you blend them in a blender with the water, I'm sure they would mix up nicely..
Old 07-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
More milk bottles:

New, Unused, Glass Milk Bottles for Sale | Milk Bottle Caps | Bottle Carriers | Pour Spouts | US Made Bottle Brushes | Milk Jugs | Bottle Lids
Old 07-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Ah, FAB, I was looking for milk bottle CAPS. Oh, right, I'm in Canada... sigh.
~~~

Oh, hey, that advert says made in Canada! Maybe I can get them, or maybe not (did you know Heinz 1-carb is made in Canada and shipped south, and we can't get it?).

Last edited by theislandgirl; 07-13-2008 at 01:12 PM..
Old 07-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #185

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I just made the milk and it is a pleasant experience.

I only had an old bag of Organic valley non fat milk powder , that was lumpy and I used 2T heavy cream and `1 T powder (less because the lumps didn't dissolve. a pinch of salt and a pinch of splenda. Tasted it cold and it was bland. I added another pinch of salt and a drop of EZ-Sweetz (which was too much)
It still has the aftertaste of powder milk but that is not objectionable as it usually is and I'm drinking my "sweet milk" now and enjoying it. next time I will only use the liquid sucralose if I'm making a large batch.

Thanks for the recipe! I'm not really a milk drinker, but It will be nice to be able to make it for when I need it instead of driving several miles to the Wally World for Carb countdown. I usually buy the 2% and the chocolate. I use the 2% for cooking and cereal and to mix half and half with the chocolate for a malty like drink.
i doubt this would pass inspection for BF though, but I could live with it.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get calcium caseinate in anything smaller than 2lb? I don't want and couldn't afford to buy so much!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 07-14-2008, 08:05 AM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
You are welcome shunsweets! Hope you enjoy. It appears (tho I've heard confilicting accounts) that if you want less tart yogurt, you culture it shorter (5-6 hours), or more tart (much longer). I'm not really sure. I usually do around 5 1/2 - 6 hours. You may know more about that than I do.

Carolyn, my Provident Pantry says instant, and like Ginny said it is more of a powder. I haven't tried to mix it in water by itself, so I really don't know how hard it is to mix up. Supposed to mix easily. ??? The Calcium Casenate that I put in my milk is very hard to mix in, so I always use a blender to mix (usually a stick blender).

Thanks for the site to order the bottles, etc retroworx. Interesting.

metga, I think if you get some new pwd milk, you will find much less pwd milk taste. The first that I made up was also with old pwd. Then I got new (GV brand first, then the PP), and it had much less or no instant milk taste.

Question: Does anyone know if it is best to leave the lecithin out when I'm gonna make yogurt? Would it help or harm the yogurt culture?

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 07-14-2008 at 08:06 AM..
Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Don't think the lecithin makes a difference to yogurt culturing, so I wouldn't bother putting it in. It's mostly to help the emulsification of fats and water/liquids...and your stick blender ought to do that pretty well.

I MIGHT consider letting the milk sit or "rest" a bit (a day? half a day?) before making the yogurt, just so the caseinate gets fully hydrated...just a thought.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
Don't think the lecithin makes a difference to yogurt culturing, so I wouldn't bother putting it in. It's mostly to help the emulsification of fats and water/liquids...and your stick blender ought to do that pretty well.

I MIGHT consider letting the milk sit or "rest" a bit (a day? half a day?) before making the yogurt, just so the caseinate gets fully hydrated...just a thought.

I didn't add the lecithin for the yogurt. Hmmmm.... didn't think about letting the caseinate hydrate longer.... I made the yogurt up right away. I even had some in the fridge that I had made a day or so before that I could have used.
It got thick & creamy tho. But since I had cultured it so long it is really tart. I prefer it a lot less tart. But I usually put DaVinci syrup & flax meal in it anyway. Just need a little more of the syrup (or some extra sweetener). This didn't seperate at all, like some I've made. So, I'm not really sure what difference letting the caseinate would have made.
Thanks for the tip Jude.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #189

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Thread jack about yogurt

I LOVE IT TART! because I would let it work for 8-10 hours it would be SUPER VINEGARY TART! But when I drained the whey off, I had SUPER SWEET YOCHEESE! It was so sweet and tasty and creamy that I ate it straight without any sweetener before I realized it.

If it comes out too tart, try draining it and see how you like it.

END threadjack
Old 07-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks metga. I may try that. Most of the yogurt I've made recently just seemed to thin to try to drain. I was afraid it would all drain away.
This seems so thick it makes me wonder if any whey will actually drain out. Think I'll try some tonight.

I know a lot of people like it really tart, but I just don't care for things too tart. (unlike my DH who LOVES tart. I've seen him eat mustard on pickles! Yuck!!!! )(that's dill pickles by the way!)

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 07-15-2008 at 09:50 PM..
Old 07-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

metqa,
I just thought I'd come back in and say that I did try draining it & making yogurt cheese (or Greek yogurt or whatever). It was still very tart. This stuff is tart I tell ya!!!!

I've got milk "hydrating" now, and will make more yogurt tomorrow (if I don't forget). I'll start it earlier, and not culture it so long. Hopefully it won't be so tart.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry I seem to be dominating this thread lately, but wanted to report that I made the yogurt again yesterday. This time I made the milk up ahead of time (the day before)to let it hydrate.
I cultured it for about 5 hours this time. It is nice & thick (much thicker than what I usually ever got with the Hoods CC milk. And it isn't too tart this time! Yay! I'm quite happy with it now. Just wish I knew the actualy carb count after the culture. I pretty well know what it is before culture, and what they would put on the label info. But wondering how much the bacteria ate up. Oh well, I'll just call it 5 carbs per serving.

Thank you again Carolyn for coming up with the milk recipe!!!!!

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 07-26-2008 at 07:31 AM..
Old 07-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
Sorry I seem to be dominating this thread lately, but wanted to report that I made the yogurt again yesterday. This time I made the milk up ahead of time (the day before)to let it hydrate.
I cultured it for about 5 hours this time. It is nice & thick (much thicker than what I usually ever got with the Hoods CC milk. And it isn't too tart this time! Yay! I'm quite happy with it now. Just wish I knew the actualy carb count after the culture. I pretty well know what it is before culture, and what they would put on the label info. But wondering how much the bacteria ate up. Oh well, I'll just call it 5 carbs per serving.

Thank you again Carolyn for coming up with the milk recipe!!!!!
I believe the general rule of thumb for yogurt culturing ("the yogurt exception") is about half the original carb count of the materials going in, which is what I do for counting homemade.

Of course, the longer it's cultured, the more tart (the more lactic acid which is a byproduct of the lactose being converted by the culture, as I understand it) therefore the lower carb, by logic...

Me, I like it tart! I made a lemon ice cream last night with very tart, heavily strained (thick thick thick) yogurt and lemon juice. Mouth puckering!

Old 07-27-2008, 06:42 AM   #194

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
shunsweets, I never measure the water, I make it up in a 1qt/1lt measuring cup. I just use part of the water to get the dry ingredients to mix up well, then add the cream, then add water to come up to the 1 qt (or 1 lt if I decide to to make a liter) line. I made 1 qt of "milk" for the yogurt. Then added the yogurt culture (some yogurt from last time in this case), stirred well, then added water to make 1 liter. Hope that was clear.

Actual recipe:

1/2 cup instant milk pwd
3/4 cup cream
5 Tbsp (one scoop) Calcium Casenate
pinch (abt 1/16th tsp) salt
4 drops Zero carb type liquid sucralose ( abt 1 tsp sugar or Splenda equivelant)
water to make it 1 qt

yogurt culture (I either use Yogurmet yogurt starter or some yogurt from previous batch. I use about 1/4 cup usually, but I think 1 TBs will usually do.)

Add small amount of the milk to the yogurt. Stir well, adding more till I have about 1 cup liquid. Then add that to the rest of the milk.

I think I cultured this batch for about 9-10 hours, but I don't like to let it culture that long usually. I usually do it about 5-7 hours.

I have a Salton 5 cup yogurt maker. I have replaced the original glass glasses/jars with 1/2 pint "jelly" jars. They work great. I like them better than the jars that came with it. So I get 5 1/2 pints of yogurt from a batch. Master Cook shows 5 carbs for each 1/2 pint (1 cup) serving (before the bacteria eats any).

I didn't add the lecithin that I usually add to the milk. Wasn't sure if that would help or hurt the yogurt.

Hope this helps.
Do you think you HAVE to use the calcium cal in this or do you think it would work with just the reg. milk recipe?
Old 07-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
Do you think you HAVE to use the calcium cal in this or do you think it would work with just the reg. milk recipe?
Well I had this answered, and a thank you to Jude, and lost it... ERRRR!!!

Yes, I do think that you can make it without the Cal Cas, but I would add the extra pwd milk (and the extra cream unless you want low fat yogurt). I just always make the milk with the Cal Cas for the extra calcium. (And I preferred it with it.) I think the extra pwd milk is needed, as a few of us tried making it with the reg milk recipe (both with & without the Cal Cas), and didn't have good results.
Thanks Jude. Yes, I realize that a lot of people like it really tart. I just don't. I don't like tart very much. And I had heard that the more tart, probably the less carbs. But I'll just take the extra couple of carbs over the more tart personally. To each his/her own. Different people like different things. That's what makes the world go round, and keeps things interesting.
I don't care much for lemon either. I never put lemon in my cheesecakes like most do. Lots of people add lemon to puddings, cheesecake, cheesecake muffins etc. I just sorta cringe. But if ya like it, go for it. And it isn't that I don't like lemon at all, I'm just not very fond of it. I like it in a few things every once in a while. But a little goes a long way for me.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #196
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
I bought new GV non-fat milk (my pwd milk was old) and have been tinkering with the recipe. This is what I have come up with that I really like. I have put my changes/additions in bold. I actually goofed when I made my batch today, and forgot the cream till I had added enough water for the liter, so then added it. So I ended up with more than a liter. It actually was still very good. Weaker & not as rich as if I had only made a quart or liter, but not bad at all. Just closer to 2% taste probably. I'm thinking of upping the Calcium Caseinate to 1 Tbsp for the 1 cup recipe. It doesn't change the carb count. I like the added Calcium Caseinate, and I already had it on hand.

Thank you for the original recipe Carolyn!!!! (Which by the way, I would make if I didn't have the Calcium Caseinate probably using my amounts of other ingredients.)

Homemade Low Carb Milk

One cup:

1-2 Tbs. of heavy cream (depending on how creamy you want it) — 2 Tbsp (Billie)
1 1/3 Tbs. of instant dry milk – 1 Tbsp (Billie)
1 cup of cold water
sprinkle of salt
tiny sprinkle of splenda (if you want) (I used 1 drop of Zero Carb type liquid -- I make this concentration using my Sweetzfree)
˝ Tbsp Calcium Caseinate Pwd (Billie)

Just put the ingredients in and shake it up. Refrigerate.

Calories 65 if 1 Tbs. of cream is used, 110 if 2 Tbs. of cream is used
5 grams of fat / 10 grams of fat
3 carbs / 3 carbs
2 grams of protein / 2 grams of protein
(7 w/Calcium Caseinate)

This is how it tastes best to us:

Home Made Low Carb Milk
One Liter

4 c. good water (I add enough water to make 1 qt)
5 tbs. plus 1 tsp. whole milk powder1/4 cup GV nonfat pwd(Billie)
1/3 tsp. salt
1-2 pkg. sugar sub. (I used 4 drops of Zero Carb liquid)
1/4/1/3/or 1/2 c. cream (this is entirely up to you)
5 Tbsp Calcium Caseinate Pwd (Billie)

Place everything except cream into a blender and whirl away.
Add cream and gently stir it in on low. (You could easily make butter)

Chill, drink, enjoy.
The only thing we don't have in this is the added
[COLOR=#0000ff]vitamin D[/COLOR].
However we also don't have any chemicals in this.
Barbo
Billie’s note: I add ˝ Tbsp Calcium Caseinate Powder to the single serving, or 5 Tbsp to the Liter. This amount will not affect the carb count. I sometimes make 1 quart rather than 1 Liter, adding only enough water to make it 1 quart. (3 carbs per serving)

Billie Why do you use 1/2 TBSP cal cas in one cup of milk but 5 TBSP in 4 cups of milk? I ordered some and was wondering why the difference in amounts.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Hmmmm..... Good question.... I think it is because I kept tweaking the 1 qt (or 1 lt), but just stoped working on the one cup. I will probably rarely use the 1 cup recipe.

I guess I hadn't even realized I hadn't changed the 1 cup.

Actually in my files I did change this to 1 Tbsp pwd milk in the one cup version. (I just checked my files.)

Sorry about the confusion.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #198
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dave16
Homemade Low Carb Milk

What instant dry milk are you using for your low carb milk recipe? The only one I can find has 12 grams of sugar per 1/3 cup. 1 1/3 Tbs of that equals 6 grams of sugar. In advance, thank you for your reply.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave16 View Post
What instant dry milk are you using for your low carb milk recipe? The only one I can find has 12 grams of sugar per 1/3 cup. 1 1/3 Tbs of that equals 6 grams of sugar. In advance, thank you for your reply.
Dave, Yes most of the instant dry milks do have about 12g carbs per 1/3 cup. And the one I am currently using (Great Value I believe, same as Carnation) does. It is because there is so little of the powdered milk in the "recipe" per cup that it becomes low carb. I will be using Provident Pantry (sold online) instant dry milk when I use up all I have on hand. It will take less of it per cup, and if I remember correctly it is less (at least a little) carbs per serving.

Rather than using 1/3 cup instant milk per cup, the recipes use 1 TBsp per cup, making up the flavor difference with cream. (Well my recipe uses 1 TBsp & I add Calcium Casenate also. The Calcium Casenate is optional, but it adds calcium.)

Hope that helps.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:41 AM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
can you use this homemade milk in pudding recipes?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:19 AM   #201

I think it would be fine. It's really just like milk. We love it!!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:21 AM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

You can use this milk in any recipe that calls for milk (or calls for Hood's CC milk). As Sandy said, it is milk. It has just been low carbed.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 09-18-2008 at 09:22 AM..
Old 09-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #203
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Indigo-65
Stats: SW212 CW212 GW145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Everyday!
I just came across this thread and thanks Carolyn for the Low carb milk recipe.
Jan
Old 09-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgw View Post
I just came across this thread and thanks Carolyn for the Low carb milk recipe.
Jan
Thanks, Jan..I think this is the best LC thing I have ever thought of..It's so easy and cheap.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:23 PM   #205
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: McSurf
Stats: 168/164/145
WOE: Crack the Fat-Loss Code
Start Date: Oct 2008/Restart May 2011
Thank you for the "milk" recipes! I was so missing milk. Will go buy the ingrediates tomorrow and have enjoy a cup, very cold. God Bless!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:38 AM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/172/197
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 3/05
Wow! Thank you Carolyn. I will try it after I go grocery shopping this weekend. The future is looking up!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #207

Glad this was bumped...It is a staple in my house..
Old 10-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Glad this was bumped...It is a staple in my house..
Mine too. I actually don't drink much but DH does everyday!
Old 12-16-2008, 05:00 AM   #209
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sippy
Stats: 199/199/140
WOE: Rob Thompson's Glycemic Load Diet
Start Date: 12/13/08
bumping this amazing thread.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyjo
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 8/08
Hi Everyone,

Hoods Calorie Countdown is great; however, all the chain stores in the Phoenix metro area are no longer selling it; even Walmart. I have checked out what Hoods has in it and now I am making my own knock-off. I grew up on a dairy farm so I am used to real "stick to the glass" milk. Here is how:

To make a half gallon
Add one quart of cream (Pure, not bakers with carbs)
Add one quart of iced distilled water
24 drops of vanilla extract or approximately 1/3 teaspoon
Add six teaspoons or 1/8 cup of Splenda

My wife says it has a little over 3 carbs per cup; about the same as Hoods, only better!

Randy