Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 06:24 PM   #91
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: rowdy1
Stats: 5'5"..currently way tooooooooo much!!
WOE: carb monitoring w/yocheese
Start Date: 9/03...terminal uphill battle
Rats...I was at Wally world tonight and forgot all about getting the GV brand powder. I am really interested in the chocolate version....I lubs chocolate milk.

Your 1 Tbl. cream version only has 65 calories per cup and that is great also! (for those of us trying to lose the last 10 and having to count and count)

Hood's chocolate milk is 90 calories for an 8 oz. serving (I believe).

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #92
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Yup, it is lower in calories than the regular Hood's stuff..and I can always make it..I bought a nice chocolate milk container..We need to shake it each time you serve it cuz the chocolate goes to the bottom sometimes.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I again want to add about the yogurt. If you read the yogurt exception literature, the milk sugars (carbs) are "eaten" up by the culturing. Therefore, the carbs in the milk magically disappear. So again, mix up your milk as per directions, add scalded cream, and continue on with the recipe you use. For Greek yogurt, you need to drain off some/most of the whey as in yocheese.

Again, the above method I have used successfully.

Everyone has to decide what they believe about the carbs in yogurt and if you're diabetic you will have to find out how yogurt affects your blood sugar, and again, we are all different.

I don't have a link to the discussion about the yogurt exception.

I do believe the Low Carb yogurts have gelatin added for stablizing a less milky, watered down yogurt. That's not something I want to tackle!

Best of luck in your experimenting. Looking forward to the results.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:53 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CopperAnnette
Stats: 160/138/130 5'3" 46
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2007
I made a quart of this last night, using Barbo's recipe, more or less. It was SO yummy! Even Bob (fiance), the milk addict and critic, loves it!! He's also the financial wiz, so when he calculated the cost, he liked it even more, LOL!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/127.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAnnette View Post
I made a quart of this last night, using Barbo's recipe, more or less. It was SO yummy! Even Bob (fiance), the milk addict and critic, loves it!! He's also the financial wiz, so when he calculated the cost, he liked it even more, LOL!
What kind of powdered milk did you use?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CopperAnnette
Stats: 160/138/130 5'3" 46
WOE: Modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2007
Hi Shirl...sorry about the late reply. I used GV nonfat. I used 1/4c whipping cream, 1t splenda, and I think I just rounded up and used 6T of the powdered milk. Everything else the same. It was awesome! No aftertaste at all...it was MILK. Yum!
Old 04-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Ok Carolyn, I finally got the Great Value lowfat powdered milk and I bought a fresh new can of NIDO whole milk powder too. I made 5 recipes of milk yesterday and let them get very cold to do a real taste test this morning. I didn't use a blender, just a tiny whisk and a measuring cup. This morning I stirred each glass and did the test. I rinsed my mouth with water between each taste and waited a few seconds between each glass.

1. carolyn's version (best)
2. carolyn's with whole milk powder (2nd best)
3 not-milk recipe (least favorite)
4. not-milk with 1 tsp buttermilk powder( better then w/Tbsp)
5. caroyln's with 1 tsp buttermilk powder ( 3rd place)

I am trying one more before I start making this all the time.
6.Carolyn's with 1/2 the whole milk power...1/2 Tbsp + 1 tsp.

Will post results later on this last batch, but so far carolyn's version is best. I hope cutting the whole milk powder by 1/2 gives best results. Will post later if it does.

Deb
Old 04-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #98

Deb: Thanks so much for being our milkmaid..Honestly..The GV non-fat powder has no aftertaste and that is what I like. Maybe they make a better whole milk powder than Nido somewhere..But I don't care for the Nido flavor at all..I do think my Nido was fresh, too..
It tastes like evaporated milk to me..

Old 04-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Deb: Thanks so much for being our milkmaid..Honestly..The GV non-fat powder has no aftertaste and that is what I like. Maybe they make a better whole milk powder than Nido somewhere..But I don't care for the Nido flavor at all..I do think my Nido was fresh, too..
It tastes like evaporated milk to me..

Carolyn when I first made your milk I made it with old NIDO whole milk powder and I said I didn't like it, then someone ask if the NIDO wm powder was fresh. It wasn't, so to be far I wanted to test with a fresh can of NIDO.

I like it both with wm powder and nf, but 1.5 T whole milk did taste a little fake, but it was still very good milk. I figure using 1/2 should do the trick, if not then I will stick with the non-fat milk powder. I did use 2 Tbs cream and 1.5 Tbs powder (read the recipe wrong, lol). I did make sure the powder was level on the Tbs using my finger. I didn't do that when I first made it and the old powdered taste came through too much. Anytime I bake I measure level for best results, I assume the posters that post recipes do the same if they don't then that explains alot of "I didn't like that recipe " post.

Deb.....

Last edited by Tater Head; 04-26-2008 at 12:55 PM..
Old 04-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I bought new GV non-fat milk (my pwd milk was old) and have been tinkering with the recipe. This is what I have come up with that I really like. I have put my changes/additions in bold. I actually goofed when I made my batch today, and forgot the cream till I had added enough water for the liter, so then added it. So I ended up with more than a liter. It actually was still very good. Weaker & not as rich as if I had only made a quart or liter, but not bad at all. Just closer to 2% taste probably. I'm thinking of upping the Calcium Caseinate to 1 Tbsp for the 1 cup recipe. It doesn't change the carb count. I like the added Calcium Caseinate, and I already had it on hand.

Thank you for the original recipe Carolyn!!!! (Which by the way, I would make if I didn't have the Calcium Caseinate probably using my amounts of other ingredients.)

Homemade Low Carb Milk

One cup:

1-2 Tbs. of heavy cream (depending on how creamy you want it) — 2 Tbsp (Billie)
1 1/3 Tbs. of instant dry milk – 1 Tbsp (Billie)
1 cup of cold water
sprinkle of salt
tiny sprinkle of splenda (if you want) (I used 1 drop of Zero Carb type liquid -- I make this concentration using my Sweetzfree)
˝ Tbsp Calcium Caseinate Pwd (Billie)

Just put the ingredients in and shake it up. Refrigerate.

Calories 65 if 1 Tbs. of cream is used, 110 if 2 Tbs. of cream is used
5 grams of fat / 10 grams of fat
3 carbs / 3 carbs
2 grams of protein / 2 grams of protein
(7 w/Calcium Caseinate)

Of course, you can double/triple, etc. the recipe. But it's pretty cheap to make.
CarolynF
*********************************[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
Here's my formula for 1 liter of milk. (Barbo)
I thought I was making one quart but it turned into one liter as I forgot I was adding other things.

This is how it tastes best to us:

Home Made Low Carb Milk
One Liter

4 c. good water (I add enough water to make 1 qt)
5 tbs. plus 1 tsp. whole milk powder1/4 cup GV nonfat pwd(Billie)
1/3 tsp. salt
1-2 pkg. sugar sub. (I used 4 drops of Zero Carb liquid)
1/4/1/3/or 1/2 c. cream (this is entirely up to you)
5 Tbsp Calcium Caseinate Pwd (Billie)

Place everything except cream into a blender and whirl away.
Add cream and gently stir it in on low. (You could easily make butter)

Chill, drink, enjoy.
The only thing we don't have in this is the added
[COLOR=#0000ff]vitamin D[/COLOR].
However we also don't have any chemicals in this.
Barbo
Billie’s note: I add ˝ Tbsp Calcium Caseinate Powder to the single serving, or 5 Tbsp to the Liter. This amount will not affect the carb count. I sometimes make 1 quart rather than 1 Liter, adding only enough water to make it 1 quart. (3 carbs per serving)

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, I justed tasted the newest version where I used half the amount of NIDO powder (1/2 Tbs + 1 tsp), it is better, almost as good as the non-fat version but still has a slight off taste. Carolyn's first version is best imo made with 2 Tbs cream, 1.5 level Tbs non-fat powder, no off taste.

Deb....
Old 04-27-2008, 06:01 AM   #102

I checked my can of Nido, too and it was fresh, but still "funky" tasting. I read that it is very hard to control the rancidity of milk fats, so they probably add stuff to protect the fat in the Nido. I guess I would rather get my "fat" from real cream.

This morning, my dh dropped the plastic container of homemade chocolate milk..We had a lake of chocolate milk on the floor..I had bought it at Wallie..So, buy a really good quality plastic container for your milk, ladies. Lesson learned.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #103
Sweet and Spicy Tart

[COLOR="Magenta"]Ok Carolyn and the rest of ya'll.. You are making me going to have to try this...

I forgot to get the GV when I was at Walmart the other day tho.. I still have over a half full carton of Calorie Countdown left, so no huge rush..

But I think I'm convinved I need to try this...[/COLOR]
Old 04-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #104

Kiki:

You will love it..I just got a new container for Gary's chocolate version..I mix up the cocoa/dry powder/salt/splenda (liquid or whatever) and some water and put it in the Bullet (or blender)..Then I just add the rest of the water to the pitcher. Best pitcher for this is a screw-on lid that is secure. You do have to shake the chocolate before serving.

I imagine you would have to shake the white version, too..
Old 04-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #105
Sweet and Spicy Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Kiki:

You will love it..I just got a new container for Gary's chocolate version..I mix up the cocoa/dry powder/salt/splenda (liquid or whatever) and some water and put it in the Bullet (or blender)..Then I just add the rest of the water to the pitcher. Best pitcher for this is a screw-on lid that is secure. You do have to shake the chocolate before serving.

I imagine you would have to shake the white version, too..
[COLOR="Magenta"]Thanks Carolyn, I wil start looking now for containers.. I don't have any like that... I read what happened to you, so I KNOW it would happen to me...

I'm excited for the choc version.. I rarely have them, but I love choc matinis... [/COLOR]
Old 04-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #106
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Carolyn...when you are making your chocolate milk, are you still using Barbo's recipe and adding the 4 Tbl. cocoa and Splenda? Or are you using your version of the white milk and then adding?

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #107
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I just wanted to add that walmart will accept your food product and give you a refund. They will also throw it away. I know this because when they discontinued all their carbsense and had them for 2 boxes for a dollar , I had to take them back because that's when I found out I was allergic to soy. They told me this at the customer service desk because of all the unscrupulous people there are in the world.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I just wanted to add that walmart will accept your food product and give you a refund. They will also throw it away. I know this because when they discontinued all their carbsense and had them for 2 boxes for a dollar , I had to take them back because that's when I found out I was allergic to soy. They told me this at the customer service desk because of all the unscrupulous people there are in the world.
You are right. I brought the Nido back this week and exchanged it for the non-fat. There wasn't any Walmart non-fat dry milk left except in the huge packages, so I got Nestle Carnation. The Carnation has the exact same ingredients as the GV, so hopefully, I'll get good results. I explained at customer service that I did not open the container of Nido, but was told that they have to "defect it out."
Old 04-27-2008, 08:12 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy1 View Post
Carolyn...when you are making your chocolate milk, are you still using Barbo's recipe and adding the 4 Tbl. cocoa and Splenda? Or are you using your version of the white milk and then adding?

Thanks!
I make a big batch of my version using either heavy cream or some half/half for the fat and add the cocoa (1 Tbs. per cup of liquid) and Splenda to taste.

It is much better to whirl your cocoa and water rather than relying on shaking it into the liquid.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
So the consensus here is this Great Value non-fat milk powder. Will any non-fat milk powder do? I don't shop at Walmart, so I'm wondering if another brand will sub.

I'm very excited about this because the only place I can get Calorie Countdown anymore is Giant.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #111

Yup..I think any non-fat milk powder will do, Steph.. Carnation, etc.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Steph, If I were buying at another store, I'd check the carb counts of the milk. Most carry Carnation, which is good. I'd check the counts against it if they have it and another. I'm sure most brands would be good. Look for the lowest carb count (imho). Carnation & GV have 12g carbs per 1/3 cup dry. (Which is why we don't use it as the label calls for, and only use a small amount per serving, adding cream to make up the difference. Hope that wasn't clear as mud!)
Old 04-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
I did Billie's version yesterday, using 6 T powdered milk (yeah, I know, a whopping 2 teaspoons more than called for!) and 1/4 cream and leaving out sweetener. Also added about a teaspoon of liquid lecithin - which I don't think is essential. Glad to have the extra calcium and protein from the calcium caseinate. Chilled this overnight. I was surprised at how good it is. I don't drink milk by the glass, but I do use it in cooking and in my coffee, so this will be great to have around. The Calorie Countdown is available here only at Wal-Mart and I just don't go there that often. Thanks to Carolyn and everyone else who tweaked and posted.

Ginny

P.S. For those using the powdered full-fat Nido milk and having taste issues, it could be because the fat in the milk has gone rancid and not the additives used to supposedly control rancidity. Hard to know how "fresh" the milk is when you buy it.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cats for Texas
Stats: 210
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: December 3, 2012
What does the Calcium Caseinate do? I bought some (don't remember why!). Thanks
Old 04-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
I originally bought the Calcium caseinate for Scott's version of the milk. I believe he reversed engineered the Hood milk and that ingredient was originally used in the Carb/Calorie Countdown milk. It seems to add creaminess as well protein and calcium without the carbs. There may be a couple of other recipes on this board using cc, but I'd have to research it.

Ginny
Old 04-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #116
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I made the low tech version that CarolyF had on the first page. Good stuff. I have to tweak the Splenda next time...but, it was sure good enough to drink while eating my 3 minute flourless cake. When TOM is close..yep, that is dinner! It may not be balanced...but, will save me in lbs. in the end!

on the lc milk.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I just typed up an answer, and it disappeared on me! Ihope I can remember what I typed.
Anyway, Ginny answered the question about the calcium caseinate as well as, or better than I could. It definitely ups the protein & calcium! But I also think it tastes better with it in it. I've made it with & without.
I think I bought it originally for the same reason, but I never did make the other milk. That is why I thought of using it in this.
I need to find other ways to use it. But even if I don't, it is well worth it for this milk. I just placed an order with Netrition, & ordered another jar of it.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #118
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
I have calcium caseinate so may give this a try as I'm always looking for ways to use it. I can't remember why I bought it either!

BTW - for those making Barbo's version... 5 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon is exactly 1/3 cup.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head View Post
Carolyn's first version is best imo made with 2 Tbs cream, 1.5 level Tbs non-fat powder, no off taste.

Deb....
I finally made this using the above recipe and my Carnation non-fat milk. Wow, this is very good!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
okay, I bought everything...I am ready to "whirl". Can't wait!