Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerikay
WOE: Low GI
Start Date: Jan. 2007
Did you use the Nido powdered milk? Maybe that is the trick. I really like this recipe.

I made my own little concoction with 1 cup of this recipe. I added half a package of low calorie hot chocolate mix and 1 teaspoon instant coffee. I gave it a spin with my hand immersion blender. I drank it cold. I felt like I had ordered something sinful from Starbucks! Next time I will add some Davinci's sf kahlua or caramel syrup!
jeri

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerikay View Post
Did you use the Nido powdered milk? Maybe that is the trick. I really like this recipe.
Yes I did use Nido, It's not that it's bad, it's not. I made one batch as written and then made another batch using only 1 Tbsp of powdered milk, that batch was better. I also made up a batch of the "Not-MILK" and before I posted my results this morning. I did a taste test with all 3 batches of "COLD" milk (the only fair way to do a taste test of milk imo) and I like the Not milk best. I think it's the butter milk powder that makes the difference to me.

BTW, Carolyn and I go way back, so when she ask me for my opinion I give it and no hard feelings either way

Debbie
Old 04-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Carolyn: I think the reason I liked it a little better is there was none of the "fat" mouth feel to it. It tasted (to me!) just about like regular milk. I love this recipe
Try the half and half and see if you agree.

And to TaterHead: The first time I tried this I used the dry milk in my cupboard. Unfortunately I didn't realize that you're supposed to store dry milk powder in a tightly capped glass container in a cool dark place (or refrigerator) to avoid any "off" taste and mine had been in the box for quite a while (too long, I guess). It tasted just like powdered milk. Yuk! So I bought a new box (Great Value) and tried it again and surprise! It was delicious.

The recipe is a KEEPER!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #64
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi..

Yup, Deb and I go way back and I trust her "tastebuds"..

I bought some Nido this morning at Wallie and going to try it with the next batch of milk.

J: The only reason I did the heavy cream was that I had it in my fridge. I "know" what you mean about the fat feeling in the mouth. Thanks so much for reminding us to keep
our dry milk powder fresh. I think I will definitely keep the Nido in the fridge to keep the milk fat from going rancid.

I took some of my faux chocolate milk and warmed it up in a cup for hot chocolate..nommie. I also bought a 2 quart container to keep the chocolate milk in. It has a nice twist on cap and a hole for pouring.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

choc milk

I'm gonna make some of that choc milk!! Low in carbs.
I can use the choc milk with my experiments--- afternoon iced coffee delights!!
Jeri
Old 04-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #66

Jeri:

Yes, please share your experiments with us. Be sure to taste the "milk" to get the right amount of Splenda it in. I always buy the Dark Cocoa, so it has a real chocolatey flavor.
DH loved it..
Old 04-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatislaw View Post

And to TaterHead: I bought a new box (Great Value) and tried it again and surprise! It was delicious.
Ok I will try this again using the non-fat (great value brand). I just made another batch using your tweaks, but I only have NIDO powder and it's whole milk powder (still taste like powdered milk imo. I will try one more time using your tweaked recipe with with nonfat great value and if it still taste like powdered milk, I give up and will go back to the NOT-MILK recipe I like. Will let you know, after I go buy some great value.

Debbie

Last edited by Tater Head; 04-16-2008 at 12:06 PM..
Old 04-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #68

Deb: I might do a milk experiment myself...One glass using the GV non-fat and one glass using the Nido..and see what happens.. Let you know..
Old 04-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Deb: I might do a milk experiment myself...One glass using the GV non-fat and one glass using the Nido..and see what happens.. Let you know..

Carolyn the NOT-Milk is pretty good, still taste a little like powdered milk I won't lie about that, but not bad once very cold. If you ever make the NM recipe, blend it, then skim off the foam on top before you pour it in the glass jar. Always do a gentle shake before each use.

Your recipe sounds very easy to make, so i will try this one last time with the fatfree dry milk

Deb

Last edited by Tater Head; 04-16-2008 at 12:16 PM..
Old 04-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #70

Deb: I haven't tried the Not Milk. I will give it a whirl when I get the ingredients..

Results of my taste test:

The non-fat GV dry milk has no aftertaste at all and to me tastes much better than the Nido milk. The Nido milk has a slightly artifical taste, but I think it would be great in pudding or chocolate milk. But, I do much prefer the GV non-fat dry version..

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rexsreine
WOE: low carb
Just a little comment on the full-fat milk powder

Some of you may know the low carb cookbook author Fran McCullough. About two years or so ago I emailed her about the nutrition of powdered milk. I was surprised to get a response. She said the milk was full of oxidized fat and that it should be avoided. I would presume that non-fat powdered milk, having no (or very little) fat, would not have this issue. Oxidized fat is NOT good for us...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. But, if you only use a little of the full-fat powdered milk, it may not be so bad.

Ginny
Old 04-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
I have a one cup batch of yogurt using Carolyn's original recipe in my little Salton. I'll let you know how it comes out. I never tasted the milk - it was warm for making the yogurt and I don't drink milk anyway, but it mixed up easily and I have high hopes for a new yogurt base.

Wow Ginny I never thought about what the drying process would do to the fats in powdered milk. Think I'll stick with the nonfat and adding fresh cream.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
arent there more carbs in half and half??
Old 04-17-2008, 05:35 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
I added half a package of low calorie hot chocolate mix
May I ask:

How many carbs in your low calorie hot chocolate mix? What brand?

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:44 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

hot choc mix / yogurt /not milk

retroworx--I'm not sure of the brand-I'm not at home -but the carb count was pretty high! Will let you know this evening.
I tried the dark cocoa with some sweetener last night and it is good and ALOT less carbs!

shunsweets-I'm interested in the result of the yogurt experient-Keep us posted

Tater Head-Is the "not milk" recipe posted somewhere?

Thanks,
Jeri
Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Tater Head-Is the "not milk" recipe posted somewhere?

Thanks,
Jeri

I posted it in the first page of this thread, post #13.

Deb
Old 04-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
May I ask:

How many carbs in your low calorie hot chocolate mix? What brand?

Thanks!
Thanks for that information, Retro on the full-fat powdered milk..I thought the fat in the Nido tasted funnyish..

The lowest carb hot chocolate mix is the Diet Swiss Miss..I think about 6 carbs..
However, it is much cheaper to add the cocoa/sweetner to make the milk if you are doing a bunch of it.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Deb---Oops! Guess I missed that one.
Thanks,
Jeri
Old 04-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Update on the yogurt experiment. It didn't work at all. Just a cup of liquid whey with no yogurt solids. Maybe not enough fuel for the bacteria? I'll try again with more starter - I used the Natren powdered starter- and maybe a little more powdered milk but my CC yogurt always comes out perfect so I guess I'll be sticking with that and hoping it remains available to me.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #80

Thanks for the yoggie update. Too bad it didn't work, but maybe more powdered milk will help.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

I used some GV Hot Cocoa Mix-Walmart brand-says milk chocolate flavored reduced calorie-sweetened with splenda
carb-10
fiber-1

When I used this with the "milk", I used 1/2 a package....

I'm experimenting with making my own yogurt-have 2 batches going-1 with reg. milk and one with our "Milk"

Jeri
Old 04-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

I usedd the stevita chocolate powder and it was awesome!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kisal
WOE: Basic low carb
Start Date: October 15, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexsreine View Post
Some of you may know the low carb cookbook author Fran McCullough. About two years or so ago I emailed her about the nutrition of powdered milk. I was surprised to get a response. She said the milk was full of oxidized fat and that it should be avoided. I would presume that non-fat powdered milk, having no (or very little) fat, would not have this issue. Oxidized fat is NOT good for us...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. But, if you only use a little of the full-fat powdered milk, it may not be so bad.
I've never been able to find full-fat powdered milk around where I live -- but I'm "restricted" from shopping at Walmart. I appreciate this information anyway. Can powdered milk be stored in an airtight container in the freezer, do you know?
Old 04-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
Kisal:
Quote:
Can powdered milk be stored in an airtight container in the freezer, do you know?
Yes. In fact that's the preferred way to store it - refrigerator or freezer. What I found on net is you should put it in a glass jar with screw cap and store in a cool dark place or refrig/freezer.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I was excited about trying the low carb milk recipe and bought the Nido brand powdered milk at Walmart. I didn't open it. Do you think I can return it and get the GV fat-free stuff? I really hesitate about returning a food product unless there's something wrong with it.

By the way, what is the carb count on the GV fat-free?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
My results & Nido

Thought I would report my "findings" so far.

I made Carolyn's version (1 cup) except that I aded a tiny amount of Lecithin (granular) to it (about 1/16 tsp). Then I made it and added the Lecithin and 1/2 TBsp Calcium Caseinate Powder. I blended each well, and put in the fridge till cold. Both were good (especially concidering that my pwd milk was pretty old), but I preferred the taste with the Calcium Caseinate in it. It tasted to me more like real milk. The one without it had more of a pwd milk taste, but not too bad. If the pwd milk were fresher, I'm not sure I would taste it as much. But still think I'd prefer the added Calcium Caseinate. (I had looked over Scott123's "unmilk", and that was a key ingredient in his, so decided to try some in Carolyn's recipe.)
Oh, and I used 1 TBsp cream in both.

I then made up a 1 qt batch using only enough water to make 1 qt (abt 3 1/2 cups), 3 TBsp Calcium Caseinate, & 1/2 tsp Lecithin. I didn't refridgerate this. I made it into yogurt. I did have similar results to what shunsweets posted. But I had attributed it to the fact that I didn't have any fresh starter mix, and what I used (yogurt saved) was questionable as to how good it was. So at least for me the jury is still out. But now that I know about shunsweets results, I'll keep that in mind. I may add more milk pwd or cream to it next time. I know that you can make yogurt with pwd milk, as I used to do it all the time. Hadn't done that since on low carb. Hmmmmm wonder what else "we" could add that would be lower carb to make the yogurt thicker.
Oh, by the way, the yogurt had a very nice flavor I thought. Just thin. I'm using it in protein shakes, etc mostly. If I can think about it in time to let it set for a while, I may add about 1 tsp chia seeds to one of the yogurts & see what happens. (I use an old Salton Yogurt maker that has 5 cups. -- I've traded out it's cups for 1/2 pint Mason jars -- works great.)

Now on the Nido. I looked for it at my WalMart a couple of days ago. I found 3 different types. None were whole milk, and more importantly, all contained sugar and/or corn syrup solids!!! I did find whole milk Nido at Albertson's yesterday. I did not contain those. I didn't buy it tho. It was just more than I wanted to pay right then. Thought I'd check around more before buying. Now I'm not sure if I will buy it even. Maybe stick to the nonfat. I have almost a gallon of the CC milk in the fridge, so may wait till closer to using it all up before making more of the "milk" up. I do like the taste of Carolyn's (especially with my added Calcium Caseinate) better than the CC for drinking tho.

Oh, by the way Shirl, You should be able to return the Nido since you have not opened it, and especially since you want to exchange it for another brand.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 04-18-2008 at 10:29 AM..
Old 04-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Crazy woman why did you add lecthin to it?
Old 04-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon View Post
Crazy woman why did you add lecthin to it?
Lecithin is an emulsifier, I hoped it would help keep it blended together better. May need just a little more than I used tho. I'm trying to use as little as possible, yet get the emulsifying effect. It is definitely optional tho.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
I was excited about trying the low carb milk recipe and bought the Nido brand powdered milk at Walmart. I didn't open it. Do you think I can return it and get the GV fat-free stuff? I really hesitate about returning a food product unless there's something wrong with it.

By the way, what is the carb count on the GV fat-free?
If you didn't open it, they will definitely take it back..The carb count is the same as the GV stuff..12 carbs per 1/3 of a cup of the powder.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

I love the choc milk!! I use it to make a yummy afternoon drink with some instant coffee powder, my sf syrup of the day, and a drop of sweetzfree if it needs it. Sometimes I just use left over brewed coffee if I have any.

My yogurt experiment was a big flop and I will just continue buying Dannon Natural Yogurt and draining to make creamy greek style yogurt. It is so yummy. The stores I shop at do not carry Fage brand yogurt and I have discovered that this is just as good and cheaper.