Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #301
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I might use the pudding mix if it didn't have aspartame in it. I won't buy it with the apsartame. I know a lot don't mind it, but I don't handle it well, and have decided I am afraid of it. (Goodness knows I've consumed a ton of it over the years, and if it damages, it probably already has, but no use adding more damage - if it does. And I DO know that if you heat it on high heat it turns to poison. That is a proven fact. Even Dow used to tell you that.)
Wish I could find a sugar/aspartame free pudding mix. I've heard they are out there, but no where I've looked.
But that is just me!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #302
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I finally found NIDO whole milk powder.
My buttermilk powder got all hard and clumpy.
Do I have to keep these in the freezer, or vacuum sealed to keep that from happening?

. . .

Well Bother! after reading through all the posts again, I see that the consensus was indeed the Non-fat milk powder, DARN! I should've just bought both! What a PITA!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #303

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I'm glad this popped up again. I need to start making this again. I love it and it's so economical too.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaurieKeren
Stats: 198.6/191.4/120
WOE: moderate low carb; healthy food choices
Start Date: 05/27/2014 (this time, haha)
I made hot chocolate using the milk recipe from the OP, and it was great! Just added a tbsp of cocoa powder and sweetener to taste. It ended up being about 6g carbs per serving.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:37 AM   #305
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieKeren View Post
I made hot chocolate using the milk recipe from the OP, and it was great! Just added a tbsp of cocoa powder and sweetener to taste. It ended up being about 6g carbs per serving.
This sounds good...I'll have to try it!
Old 12-31-2009, 06:56 AM   #306
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
This sounds good...I'll have to try it!
And, this morning, instead of water, I used coffee, so it was a hot mocha. YUM!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:55 PM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieKeren View Post
And, this morning, instead of water, I used coffee, so it was a hot mocha. YUM!
Yes, even better...thanks for the ideas!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #308
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I know this is a longer post but as far as I can see and believe me, I've searched the world over, there is no more Carb Countdown Milk. There is Calorie Countdown now in it's place. I have never checked the carb count on this milk, but will do the next time I'm in the store.

Anyone got any ideas about this?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #309

It's the same product with a different name. IF you can still fine CALORIE COUNTDOWN then you are one lucky bunny! I still love the Chocolate, but even my walmart quit carrying all of them. So i'm out of luck, totally. I just bought the very last skim milk carton they had at Kroger.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #310
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ssilvano
Faux Milk

I am new to this site, but I was doing a search for a low carb milk product when found a link to this thread. And boy, am I glad I did! I had all ingredients on hand and so decided to give it a shot. I mixed up a glass, and it tastes just like the real deal! At least what I am used to drinking, which is skim milk. Only used 1 scant tbsp cream, but it was perfect! Thanks so much!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #311

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I make this all the time. I have ended up using half and half for the cream part because it mixes in very nicely.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #312
Senior LCF Member

I never drink plain milk. I only used it on cereal occasionally, but I never eat cereal now, so that isn't an issue for me, but I am so addicted to making low carb hot chocolate with this!

I know I mentioned it before on this thread, but I'm just sayin' it again! I've never really liked hot chocolate before, and now I love love love it!
Old 01-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #313
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TurnNBurn
Laurie, do you use cocoa mix to make your hot chocolate (I never really cared for hot choc either )
Old 01-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #314

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Any of you wanting Calorie Countdown milk (formerly Carb Countdown) go to the Hood website and leave them a message about where you live and that you are trying to find it. I did that and the west coast sales manager called me and was VERY helpful. He had an actual printout of current week sales at many stores in this area and was able to point me to the only two still carrying it. I would never have found it by myself!

Usually companies give you vague information about stores that carry SOME of their products, which is nearly useless, but I was very impressed by Hood!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #315

Thanks Raven!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #316
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AdrianaG
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon View Post
They make a FF half and half?? Thought half and half was half cream half milk how do you make cream FF?
Didn't you know? That's what they do with old polyester shirts...or was it Cremora?
Old 03-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #317
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AdrianaG
Yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
I was experimenting to make a cheaper version of CC milk and I do think it is pretty darn good.

Homemade Low Carb Milk
This newbie LC er wants to add one more YUM!! to this post, thank you Carolyn!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #318
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: capricious
Stats: 165/158.6/140
WOE: CTFLC
Start Date: 5/03/10
Sorry to ask....

what is CC milk? Is it a brand? Everyone else seems to know
Old 03-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #319

Carb Countdown, recently changed to Calorie Countdown, very soon to be Can't Care cause they keep phasing them out in favor of 'SMART MILK'
Old 03-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #320

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
What is Smart Milk?? Is it really Smart or just Stupid, lol?
Old 03-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #321

It's pretty much low fat milk that "tastes" like regular milk.

Cause Low Fat is SmArT !
Old 03-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post

Which brings me to answering a question that was posted a few pages back as to whether anyone has made yogurt......
I have tried making yogurt without the Casein pwd (using the original recipe), and I have never had it set up into yogurt. It has always stayed quite thin. I used to make it all the time with the addition of the NOW Casein pwd, and it did just fine. I use a lot more cream when I make yogurt. (I actually thought I had posted my yogurt recipe on here quite a few pages back.... Maybe not. ?) As I said above, I have not had as good luck using the AllTheWhey Casein, tho if I hydrate it for several days, it does make yogurt, it just has a dryish (don't know how to explain it) settlement on the bottom. But the yogurt is good and thickens nicely if hydrated long enough beforehand.
Next time I buy Casein, I'll try another brand. (Wishing I could keep getting NOW). If anyone out there uses Casein Protein Pwd, and knows a good brand, I'd like your opinion.
Okay, so I'm a bit confused and can't do math, so I figure I'll ask out right.

When you said you tried to make yogurt with the original recipe is it this one just without the calcium casienate?
Quote:
Actual recipe:

1/2 cup instant milk pwd
3/4 cup cream
5 Tbsp (one scoop) Calcium Casenate
pinch (abt 1/16th tsp) salt
4 drops Zero carb type liquid sucralose ( abt 1 tsp sugar or Splenda equivelant)
water to make it 1 qt
yogurt culture (I either use Yogurmet yogurt starter or some yogurt from previous batch. I use about 1/4 cup usually, but I think 1 TBs will usually do.)

Add small amount of the milk to the yogurt. Stir well, adding more till I have about 1 cup liquid. Then add that to the rest of the milk.
I thought this had more powder milk ratio than the original recipe, but I might be wrong. i want to make this, without the Calcium, since I don't have any, to make a quart of yogurt. Do you think subbing the Cal Cas with Whey protein powder will work? I guess we shall soon find out, eh?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #323
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Okay, so I'm a bit confused and can't do math, so I figure I'll ask out right.

When you said you tried to make yogurt with the original recipe is it this one just without the calcium casienate?

I thought this had more powder milk ratio than the original recipe, but I might be wrong. i want to make this, without the Calcium, since I don't have any, to make a quart of yogurt. Do you think subbing the Cal Cas with Whey protein powder will work? I guess we shall soon find out, eh?
Metqa, It was Carolyn's original recipe (without the Cal Cas) that I tried (as has several others) to use, and it wouldn't set up. I have never been able to make it without adding the Cal Cas, and still being the low carb milk.
Some have just used whole milk & and added a LOT of cream (I think about half & half), and made a good yogurt tho. I've just been trying to keep it as low carb as I can.
I do usually add more of the milk pwd & more cream when I'm making yogurt than for the milk.
I'm wishing I could find a better brand of Cal Cas, but it seems to be hard to find. I really am not happy with the All The Whey Cal Cas. It just will not hydrate well! I've even made it several days before I planned to make yogurt, and I still would end up with some on the bottom of my yogurt that didn't stay hydrated & blended. Didn' have that problem with the NOW brand. Sure wish they hadn't discontinued it!
I don't know about adding the whey protein. It might help.

By the way, I had no idea what Smart Milk was either. I've never seen it. Last I noticed my Wal Mart still carried the Calorie Countdown milk, but I haven't bought any since Carolyn came up with her recipe. So I don't usually even look for it.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #324

Thanks for the response. Well I'll see what happens with whey instead. It's in the incubator now and the house smells like powdered milk!

I also made some NotMilk, just to have cause I have a quart of cream and a pint of H&H to use up and I hadn't been using it. I'm afraid to try to make ice cream, I know I'll botch it up. IF it gets too old, I'll just blend it half cream half water or some similar way and just make it all into yogurt.

I think I may have found the secret to my cream blending problem. It's like adding water to acid, or is it the other way around anyway, instead of hydrating the powder then adding cream, I finely powder the powder, then add a wee bit of water to make it like batter,then whip THAT up in my faux magic bullet till really smooth, then add the cream, then add the water to the emulsion. If I add it slowly it doesn't break, and it looks like the cream stays suspended rather than floating on the top. I haven't tasted it to confirm but it looked good so I'll know in the morning if that worked. if it does my milk will have improved 100 percent cause I could never reconcile the floating cream.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 03-16-2010 at 11:19 PM..
Old 03-16-2010, 11:34 PM   #325
Major LCF Poster!

You are welcome. I'm glad I saw it. I hadn't had a chance to get online & do anything all day. And I probably wont get much chance today (its just after midnight now - abt midnight thirty ). It's a wonder I saw your post.

Hope it works well for you. Let us know how it turns out.

I haven't had a big problem with the cream floating to the top of my milk. What little it has, I just shake or stir the milk before pouring, and it blends right back in, and is fine for the time I'm drinking it. Sometimes some floats to the top while making yogurt, and there is a cream layer on my yogurt, but I don't mind that myself. Some really likes that part the best.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #326

I'm glad you saw it too! and you are right, the yogurt doesn't look like it set up, but I was looking at it still warm, though my milk is perfect. No separation. I use the higher measurement of cream, and always added it last. That was probably the problem, but It's alright. Still smells like powder milk, but so long as it TASTES good, Ha!

Regular milk is cheap enough that It will be worth it to buy a gallon just to make yogurt and leave the concoctions for drinking.

Happy Wednesday!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #327
Major LCF Poster!

When my yogurt doesn't set up, I just use it in protein shakes. That's how I "eat" most of it anyway.

My milk usually comes out very good. I made some up last night, so the grandkids could have some for breakfast. (some of them are here for a few days, and I didn't have any reg milk) Well, they were saying that it tasted funny. I thought, It doesn't taste that bad. Well, I started to make some "batter" for french bread tonight (reg bread for them & LC for DH & I), and got out what was left of the milk. I don't blame them for thinking it didn't taste right, it looked as if I had doubled up on the Cal Cas, and it was really thick, and the bottom of the jar was REALLY thick!! I don't know why it was like that. That is the first time that has happened, and I know I didn't use extra pwd milk, and didn't think I added that much Cal Cas. I did use the All the Whey Cal Cas, but I've been using it for milk. Can't imagine what happened.

Happy Wed & Thursday, since it is almost Thurs now!
Old 03-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #328

Was it your new Cal Cas. I thought you were having hydration trouble with it. Maybe that's why it settled out.

Thanks. Happy Thursday and Friday!
Old 03-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, actually it was. But I haven't had this much problem with it in the milk. Some but not quite this much. Mostly with the yogurt. I think I must have used more than I realized. Maybe I've not been using quite this much in the milk. ??? It really looked, felt (on the toung) & tased like I had used way too much.
Since I can't get the NOW any longer, I've been trying to save it for the yogurt. Not sure what I'll do when it is all gone. So I have been using the other for the milk. Tho sometimes I forget & grab the wrong one. The ATW doesn't hydrate well at all. Actually tho even the "top" of the milk was really thick this time too. I usually stir or shake before pouring, but forgot to do it when I poured the kids milk up. And didn't before I poured up a bit to taste before using the last of it when I realized it was so weird.
Again, I sure wish I could find a better one.

Have a great Thrusday & Friday!
Old 03-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #330

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Thanks, guys..

And, think of it..this "faux" milk has fewer preservatives in it than CC down..I will look for the Hispanic milk powder..
I am really glad I finally saw this thread - is it new as a sticky? or have I just been blind! I am really psyched to try your recipe Carolyn! I was not able to drink the Carb Countdown milk when it was around -- it stalled me for some reason, as does the lowcarb yogurt. There is some ingredient in there ... anyhow, I have been using regular milk and your recipe would save me some 10 net carbs a day .. and hopefully I would have no problem with the cream and powdered milk - as I seem to tolerate regular dairy just fine!

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story