Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #271
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Metga: I would just add more cream for the whole milk taste. Honestly, I can't even taste the non-fat powdered milk..Now, the stuff with the fat in it, is not good and methinks that the buttermilk stuff would be horrible..

You could always use regular milk instead of the powdered milk, dilute it with water, then add cream, salt, and Splenda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
I also never drink it unless it's cooled in the fridge at least overnight. I don't like it right after it's made but after it sits it's good. I like it much, much better than CC for sure. Good luck to you.
Thanks for these tips, I'll try both more cream and pre-chill.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
I have been using this recipe, I really like it cause I can make a quick cup at just about anyones house. To make a quick cup I put 3/4 cup of water in a glass with ice to get it really cold, take the ice out and add the rest of the ingredients.
At home I just make it by the quart but I am at my daughter's now and the cup method works really well.

Quote:
For About 1 Cup of Faux Milk

1/4 c. whole milk (3g carb)
3/4 to 1 c. distilled water
1/2 to 1 TBSP heavy cream (.21 to .41 g carb)
dash of salt & sweetener

Shake everything together in a glass jar and chill. This has 3.2 g of carb with the smaller amount of cream, and 3.4 g of carb with the larger amount of cream. To me, it tastes more like skim milk (which I actually prefer) when made with 1 cup of water, and more like whole milk when made with 3/4 c. of water
Old 06-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherlocklabs
Stats: 320+/261/130
WOE: Atkins 72, LCHF ~ Clean Eating Only
Start Date: Restart: 6/29/14
Thanks for all of the great 'milk' recipes!! I am so excited....it will be great to have milk again ~~ the real milk recipe is especially welcome...I have everything in the house right now!! Thank you....I sure wish I was as creative as some of you!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Midnight
Has anyone tried the brand Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein Protein in the milk recipe? Also does it mix easily?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #275

Well, I did a side by side tasted comparison.

I made the original recipe and the whey recipe, let chill overnight, and tasted very cold the next day. it seemed like the first recipe the cream wanted to just float on the top even after stirring it in and the milk tasted thin like water. like fat free milk, despite the cream. Sorry Carolyn! I couldn't make it right.

The whey recipe while it still had a powder milk smell, tasted and felt more like milk. it was thicker viscosity and tasted more like 2% or whole milk. I dont know if it's because of the butter milk powder or the whey powder but I'm glad I got a good facsimile.

I used Designer Whey Natural and the buttermilk powder mentioned before, I'm glad so many people tried and experimented with a low carb milk recipe. I can actually drink this and enjoy it. Still smells like powder milk but it doesn't taste like it. I'ts not pure white but who cares. It tastes like milk and that works. Next try: Chocolate Malt!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 06-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #276

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Metga: Hmmm..good for you. I never thought of the "texture" of the milk. The whey stuff would make it thicker..
Old 06-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetdreams
You know what I've been doing lately??? Just mixing 1/2 cup ish of skim milk with 1/2 cup ish plain water and drinking it. I think I like it best this way for now anyway! LOL

Even though the carbs are higher at least it's about 6 - 7 grams per cup instead of 13.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Metga: Hmmm..good for you. I never thought of the "texture" of the milk. The whey stuff would make it thicker..
Sorry I guess I'm sort of a mouth-feel snob.:blush: I've never enjoyed skim milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreams View Post
You know what I've been doing lately??? Just mixing 1/2 cup ish of skim milk with 1/2 cup ish plain water and drinking it. I think I like it best this way for now anyway! LOL

Even though the carbs are higher at least it's about 6 - 7 grams per cup instead of 13.
I did that with cream when I needed milk for a recipe before. It makes sense and it's still lower carb.
I do that for apple juice and other mostly water based beverages. Got BF doing it too, now. Not for the milk though, he's not low carb, but for the apple juice.

I made chocolate milk. Why is that such a comfort beverage for so many?
Old 07-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
I like it with whole milk and half and half or heavy cream, half and half stays mixed better. Lecithin gives it a better mouth feel, but I like it without. I tried the buttermilk powder, Yuck, I did not like the taste at all.
It is nice there are so many ideas and tastes to please everyone.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #280

Maybe the buttermilk and whey have some symbiosis. Cause this is the first time since I was a child that I have drank powdered milk anything and wasn't forced to do it. and I hate powdered milk AND buttermilk.

Milk prices are coming down. Anyone notice that?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
Has anyone tried the brand Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein Protein in the milk recipe? Also does it mix easily?
Midnight,
I've only tried 2 brands. I usually use NOW Calcium Casein Protein Powder, but the NOW company has discontinued it. It can still be found a few places tho, but when those run out, I guess that's it. The last time I ordered Calcium Casein Pwd, I bought AllTheWhey brand. I haven't been as pleased with it. It isn't really bad, but it doesn't stay mixed even as well as the NOW did. I made yogurt using the NOW brand, only letting it hydrate for a few hours ahead, and it did fine. But I am finding I have to make the milk up with the AllTheWhey Calcium Casein about 3 days ahead & let it hydrate before making yogurt. I try to shake it up at least once a day, if not more, and then just before mixing the yogurt (or yogurt starter) in to make yogurt. Even then, I get a settlement on the bottom of my jars (I use 1/2 pint jars in a yogurt maker). I don't have any lecithin with me, or I'd try blending some of that in. I plan on buying some when I remember to look for it, and try. (I have some at home in WY, but not here with me.)

Which brings me to answering a question that was posted a few pages back as to whether anyone has made yogurt......
I have tried making yogurt without the Casein pwd (using the original recipe), and I have never had it set up into yogurt. It has always stayed quite thin. I used to make it all the time with the addition of the NOW Casein pwd, and it did just fine. I use a lot more cream when I make yogurt. (I actually thought I had posted my yogurt recipe on here quite a few pages back.... Maybe not. ?) As I said above, I have not had as good luck using the AllTheWhey Casein, tho if I hydrate it for several days, it does make yogurt, it just has a dryish (don't know how to explain it) settlement on the bottom. But the yogurt is good and thickens nicely if hydrated long enough beforehand.
Next time I buy Casein, I'll try another brand. (Wishing I could keep getting NOW). If anyone out there uses Casein Protein Pwd, and knows a good brand, I'd like your opinion.

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 07-02-2009 at 09:09 AM..
Old 07-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #282

Yay! I've been enjoying my Homemade milk. It makes it so much easier to take my morning meds when I don't feel like eating food with them.

I'm gonna make another batch. I'm happy cause I found another canister of whey protein, so I don't have to shell out money for a while to keep making this! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! oh did I say Yay?!?!?
Old 07-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #283

Hmm, I'm enjoying my second batch of homemade milk. (my BF looked at me sideways when I said I was making milk) and I wondered how I could enjoy something that smelled so odd. Again I'm using the whey milk formula and buttermilk, but I don't like buttermilk normally so I was surprised.

thing is, it has a strong smell but the smell doesn't match the flavor which is very mild. but together the smell and taste are just right. also the cream won't stay blended into the liquid, it keeps separating out into little clumps and I have to swirl it before I pour. I thought about the smell and taste and wondered if this is what fresh milk might smell like with all the buttercream still in it before homogenization and pulling most of the cream out. When I think of it like that it seems a special treat. My BF would probably describe it as gamey. My milk smells wild! but each time I taste it I'm so pleasantly surprised at how "normal" it tastes.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Does anyone actually prefer one of these blends to the Hood milk, or are these only for those who can't get the Hood? For myself, the Hood stuff doesn't make it for drinking, alas. Sometimes I mix some Hood, "fresh" buttermilk, cream, water and sweetener, having put in a little baking soda and left it to react (cutting the acid from the buttermilk some).

By the way, for those using buttermilk powder, I found out that the "yogurt exception" applies to, and only to, the Saco brand--not to the NOW brand. The Saco is cultured, the NOW powder is from buttermilk made according to the original definition--that is, it's the what's leftover after butter is made, which is dried without having been cultured.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #285

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I never liked the Hood white milk and I like this mixture a lot. The choc. Hood was ok although I thought it was too thick so didn't get it very often. This recipe is a whole lot cheaper than Hood milk too which makes it even more appealing.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetdreams
I personally would take the Hood milk anyday over making it.... but I can't get it in our area....plus it was really expensive. For some reason.... the milk I've been making lately tasted off but I can't describe how.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #287

I would like to use Hoods, but when they got rid of the whole milk version and now the price is up to $4 I'm not a happy customer. I already have half the ingredients, protein powder and water, I just bought a small container of buttermilk powder and I always buy cream so it's much more economical. When milk has been $2 a gallon lately I begin to wonder why I just don't drink that. instead of twice as much for half the volume of Hoods. though I have to say I adore the chocolate flavor, but I'd mix it half and half with the white milk for a malty chocolate milk flavor.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #288
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher View Post
Does anyone actually prefer one of these blends to the Hood milk, or are these only for those who can't get the Hood? For myself, the Hood stuff doesn't make it for drinking, alas.
I really prefer the homemade stuff...I think it tastes great, even right after I make it. I don't make it much because I'm not a milk drinker. I love that I can have milk if I need it for something, though.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #289
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cherish837
Stats: 233/202/162
WOE: Mostly Protein Power, some Atkins
Start Date: Starting over once again!
subscribe
Old 12-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #290
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jleblanc
Stats: 252(HW 225.2 Start this time /220.8/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 03/ again February 10,2011
Hood Milk

Where are those of you that can get Hood milk still?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #291

Right on time!! Cherish, Jleblanc, thanks for reviving this thread.

Hoods and Stores , it seems is declaring a war against low carb milk. They changed the name from Carb Countdown to Calorie countdown,and then discontinued Full Fat version. They still make 2% and fat free. meh! Look in your walmart stores (best bet) and ask the local stores if they carry it. Stores are known to couch it in with the soy milks and other specialty milks in the corner where it's hard to find. i know what the packaging looks like and I have to search for it. and find it on one lonely shelf next to three shelves of Hood's Smart Milk, and some other high carb milk.

My Kroger After stopping the 2% line, and dropping the Chocolate milk *(devine) has finally quit and put even the fat free on closeout. I think I bought the last carton. I hope my two Walmarts still carry it, but probably not, that's why I'm subcribed to this thread to replace what has been taken away. (or at least to attempt to)
Request Hoods is a page where you can try to find local retailers and ask them to carry it if they don't.

Last edited by metqa; 12-19-2009 at 09:23 PM..
Old 12-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

jleblanc , I don't know what part of OK you live in. But I think the WalMart in De Queen, AR still carries the Hoods. Seems like I saw it when I was down there last month. I'm not sure about Idabel, OK, if they still carry it.
My WalMart here in WY still carries the 2% & I'm pretty sure the chocolate. I haven't bought it tho in ages. When I want milk, I make Carolyn's milk (usually my version).

metqa, I've never seen the Hood's Smart milk.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy View Post
jleblanc , I don't know what part of OK you live in. But I think the WalMart in De Queen, AR still carries the Hoods. Seems like I saw it when I was down there last month. I'm not sure about Idabel, OK, if they still carry it.
My WalMart here in WY still carries the 2% & I'm pretty sure the chocolate. I haven't bought it tho in ages. When I want milk, I make Carolyn's milk (usually my version).

metqa, I've never seen the Hood's Smart milk.
Really, They slowly moved it into the slots where the Carb , oops, Calorie countdown used to be. One slot at a time the CC was move out and Simpy Smart Milk put in it's place. It's all lowfat/fat free. they take out the fat then refilter it to remove extra water so it doesnt taste watery from having no fat. and that is 'SMART'. Gawd, If I am promoted with yet another low fat milk product I'm gonna scream!
Old 12-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #294
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jleblanc
Stats: 252(HW 225.2 Start this time /220.8/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 03/ again February 10,2011
Hood Milk

Our Walmart used to carry it. They were even sold out several times when I went to get some. They quit carrying it over 2 years ago. I don't normally drink milk but I used it to cook and my kids drank it. It was really convenient and the chocolate tasted pretty thick and nummy with a little lc ice cream it made a great chocolate shake.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:40 AM   #295
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: aunkster
Stats: 317/187/220
WOE: RNY 12-15-03..now low carb for life
Start Date: 1/1/10
ok I tried a few of these recipes and i like this one best

Home Made Low Carb Milk
One Liter

4 c. good water (I add enough water to make 1 qt)
5 tbs. plus 1 tsp. whole milk powder – 1/4 cup GV nonfat pwd(Billie)
1/3 tsp. salt
1-2 pkg. sugar sub. (I used 4 drops of Zero Carb liquid)
1/4/1/3/or 1/2 c. cream (this is entirely up to you)

I have 2 questions though..

1. what can I do to this recipe to make it choc?
2.how can I tweak it to do for a one time mix in the 2 cup magic bullit container?

Thanks

ALlan
Old 12-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #296
Major LCF Poster!

ALlan,
To make it in your 2 cup magic bullet, I would place about 1 cup water in the bullet with about 1/8 cup of the instant milk pwd, a dash of salt, and maybe 1 pkg Splenda (to your taste for half the recipe). Blend these together well, then open & add your cream (again depending on your taste), then blend briefly, not too long with the cream added. Open & add enough water to make 2 cups.

As for the chocolate milk, everyone has their own tastes for chocolate. But have you ever made chocolate milk (sf)? If so just do it the same. There is a post somewhere in this thread for making chocolate milk. Maybe it would give you an idea. It is here #18, but not necessarily how I would make it. You might try it tho. I'd use cocoa & a little more sweetener myself, but again my taste might be different than yours. There might be more chocolate ideas in the thread also.

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 12-30-2009 at 10:04 AM..
Old 12-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #297
Senior LCF Member

i looked for the choc recipe..i couldnt find it but I was thinking just a little cocoa added with maybe a pinch more splenda.

thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #298

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
A simple dimple way to make chocolate milk is to use 1-2 tsp..of SF chocolate pudding mix..
Old 12-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #299
Senior LCF Member

great idea ,thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

ALan, Here is what Barbo said about making the chocolate. #55
I'm thinking that is for the quart version. So you might try 2 Tbsp for 2 cups, and extra sweetener to taste. (Basically cocoa & sweetener to taste.)