Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #841
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
I made my crust super thing and divided the "Dough" into 2 little pizzas, the middle was softer than the edges but not too soft that I couldn't eat it.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #842
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Maybe we just need to go buy a shamwow.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #843
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aediekins View Post
Maybe we just need to go buy a shamwow.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #844
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nekkidfish
Quote:
Honestly it is by far the best most neutral crust I have found. It's certainly not bready crust, but it does the job of getting the toppings (the best part anyway) to my mouth without a knife and fork. I have tried all kinds of flax, coconut flour and protein powder crusts and I don't like any of them. This one has a nice, neutral flavor and texture, I just wish it wasn't so wet.
Having made several that are so soggy, I can say I don't even know what it tastes like ... I just know the taste of frustration!!

HUGz! Jules
Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #845
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/234/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I'm sorry to hear there's soggy bottoms in the room... and yet that sounds so wrong somehow...
Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #846
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I'm sorry to hear there's soggy bottoms in the room... and yet that sounds so wrong somehow...
Old 05-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #847
Major LCF Poster!

I might just put it between a few towels and sit my happy a#$ on it for 10 minutes. Now that outta squeeze it enough.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #848
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I might just put it between a few towels and sit my happy a#$ on it for 10 minutes. Now that outta squeeze it enough.
My last attempt (I think) I sat it outside in the air for awhile to try and really dry it, and that still didn't help.

It always makes me made when so many people are successful at something, and I'm a flunky! :blush:

HUGz! Jules
Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #849
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

When I made the pizza crust, I steamed my frozen cauliflower, put it in a food processor and pulsed it for a little bit. Then I put it in a strainer and smashed down on it with a paper towel to get rid of the excess moisture.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #850
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Chillas View Post

When I made the pizza crust, I steamed my frozen cauliflower, put it in a food processor and pulsed it for a little bit. Then I put it in a strainer and smashed down on it with a paper towel to get rid of the excess moisture.
Yeah, but everybody here said don't squish it!

And can I say ... you look hawt!

HUGz! Jules
Old 05-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #851
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidfish View Post
Yeah, but everybody here said don't squish it!

And can I say ... you look hawt!

HUGz! Jules
LOL! That is not me in my avatar! I wish though, that is Katy Perry, my inspiration for the moment...
Old 05-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #852
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Chillas View Post
LOL! That is not me in my avatar! I wish though, that is Katy Perry, my inspiration for the moment...
And a damn fine inspiration!!

HUGz! Jules
Old 05-11-2011, 03:40 AM   #853
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Quote:
I made this again tonight (I made it a couple of years ago and liked it.)

I too, had issues with the moisture. I baked it until it was on the verge of burning, and it looked good, the edges were crispy. After I added toppings and sliced it up, that's when I found out that the middle was still kinda soggy.

I don't know how much drier I can get it. After I riced the cauli, I put it on a plate, covered it with 2 paper towels and pushed on it until the paper towel was soaking. I did that 10 times until the moisture was barely dampening the paper towels. I don't know how much drier I can get it. The only other thing I can think to do would be to put it on a cookie sheet and bake it at 200 degrees for a while to dehydrate it some.

Maybe cooking the crust at 300 for 20-30 minutes to dry it out a bit, and then turn up the heat to 450 for 5-10 minutes to crisp it up?
Have you tried flipping it half way through?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:31 AM   #854
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/234/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
You have to squish the water out of the cauliflower. There's no other way to prep it so quickly. Cauliflower that sits around will get skunky if it's not used quickly enough. It's important to expedite the moisture removal.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #855
Major LCF Poster!

Still seriously considering a cauliflower-dedicated shamwow...
Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #856
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lifer
Stats: Unhealthy/better/best
WOE: Low carb, real food.
Start Date: May, 2009
Don't know if this will help any, but here's how I do it and it didn't seem soggy to me. Not that it was crispy, but it did hold up to eating it with my hands.

I either shred the fresh cauli or fine chop the frozen florets while it's mostly still frozen. Either one of these is time consuming, because when I shred I use a cheese grater and when I chop...well, it takes a while to get it to rice consistency. Anyway, once I've got it looking like rice, I melt a couple of tablespoons of butter or ghee in a large frying pan. Then I add the cauli and sort of stir fry it for about 10 minutes, till it's mostly soft, but still has its shape. This seems to work well for me. It both cooks the cauli and removes the moisture at the same time. Doing it on the stove top gives you a little more control of drying it without it scorching (as opposed to the oven). I then spread it out on a plate or some parchment to cool a little while I grate the cheese and mix it with the eggs and spices. Then I add in the cauli and proceed with the crust. Hope this helps!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #857
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
Don't know if this will help any, but here's how I do it and it didn't seem soggy to me. Not that it was crispy, but it did hold up to eating it with my hands.

I either shred the fresh cauli or fine chop the frozen florets while it's mostly still frozen. Either one of these is time consuming, because when I shred I use a cheese grater and when I chop...well, it takes a while to get it to rice consistency. Anyway, once I've got it looking like rice, I melt a couple of tablespoons of butter or ghee in a large frying pan. Then I add the cauli and sort of stir fry it for about 10 minutes, till it's mostly soft, but still has its shape. This seems to work well for me. It both cooks the cauli and removes the moisture at the same time. Doing it on the stove top gives you a little more control of drying it without it scorching (as opposed to the oven). I then spread it out on a plate or some parchment to cool a little while I grate the cheese and mix it with the eggs and spices. Then I add in the cauli and proceed with the crust. Hope this helps!
Hmmmm ... maybe I'll try it this way.

HUGz! Jules
Old 05-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #858
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidfish View Post
Hmmmm ... maybe I'll try it this way.

HUGz! Jules
Hope it works for you! Just wanted to add, I found when making my broccoli casserole (I called it Broccoli, Frice, and Cheese), that by removing the pan of cauli from the burner then mixing up the cheese and eggs, it worked to add the cauli to the cheese mix straight from the pan (bypassing that whole cooling-the-cauli thing).
Does that even make sense?!

Last edited by Lifer; 05-11-2011 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: To say, I'm all for saving steps and making things easier!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #859
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
Hope it works for you! Just wanted to add, I found when making my broccoli casserole (I called it Broccoli, Frice, and Cheese), that by removing the pan of cauli from the burner then mixing up the cheese and eggs, it worked to add the cauli to the cheese mix straight from the pan (bypassing that whole cooling-the-cauli thing).
Does that even make sense?!
Sorry, no.

Maybe try again?

HUGz! Jules
Old 05-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #860
Senior LCF Member

By removing the cauliflower from the heat, then mixing up the cheese, eggs, and spices, it gives the cauli a chance to cool slightly. I found that adding it to the cheese mixture even while it was still pretty warm didn't effect the final mix. In other words, just skip the part where I said you have to spread it out and wait for it to cool before mixing it with the cheese/egg mixture.

Did that help?

Also, at the risk of being obnoxious about posting my blog, I did do a post about the pizza with pictures. Don't know if that will help. Y
Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #861
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
Ok, here's my 2 cents. I use zuchini instead of cauli, it tastes MUCH more neutral. I shred it, and SALT IT and let it sit in a strainer in the sink for a bout an hour. The salt draws moisture out of the zuchs. Then I smoosh some of the water out in the strainer, then I put it in clean kitchen towels, fold it up burrito style, and squish the water out.

I swear, no more soggy crusts if you do it this way.

Also, if you divide it into 2 smaller pizzas, you'll have less "middle" and better crisping potential.

"Our perception gathers proof that our beliefs are right."
Old 05-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #862
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for sharing, Kattbelly. I'm a much bigger fan of zucchini than cauliflower!
Old 05-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #863
Major LCF Poster!

Sure Lifer, me too. I forgot one thing, I peel the skin off the zucchini, because It "looks" more like crust if it's not half green, lol.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #864
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattbelly View Post
Ok, here's my 2 cents. I use zuchini instead of cauli, it tastes MUCH more neutral. I shred it, and SALT IT and let it sit in a strainer in the sink for a bout an hour. The salt draws moisture out of the zuchs. Then I smoosh some of the water out in the strainer, then I put it in clean kitchen towels, fold it up burrito style, and squish the water out.

I swear, no more soggy crusts if you do it this way.

Also, if you divide it into 2 smaller pizzas, you'll have less "middle" and better crisping potential.
Very cool! Do you cook the zuchini?

HUGz! Jules
Old 05-12-2011, 02:05 AM   #865
Major LCF Poster!

Nah, not necessary. The salt breaks it down and it cooks through when baking the crust.

Be sure to add just enough salt that it will taste good according to your preferences-just enough for seasoning. I used 4 regular zucch.s and a good pinch of salt, guestimating 1/4 - 1/2 tsp.?

Oh, and I massage the salt all through the zucch.s in the strainer, just to make sure it's distributed all through to do it's magic.

Last edited by Kattbelly; 05-12-2011 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: took a couple attempts to get it from my head to the keyboard plus good god! look at the time!
Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #866
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattbelly View Post
Nah, not necessary. The salt breaks it down and it cooks through when baking the crust.

Be sure to add just enough salt that it will taste good according to your preferences-just enough for seasoning. I used 4 regular zucch.s and a good pinch of salt, guestimating 1/4 - 1/2 tsp.?

Oh, and I massage the salt all through the zucch.s in the strainer, just to make sure it's distributed all through to do it's magic.
Can't wait to try it.

HUGz! Jules
Old 05-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #867
Major LCF Poster!

mmmmm.... zucchini! Will try with yellow squash too. The yellow skin might not look to bad in a crust.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:48 AM   #868
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Quote:
Still seriously considering a cauliflower-dedicated shamwow...
Old 05-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #869
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ravenj9
Stats: 165.6/137.8/130 5'3
WOE: HCG
Start Date: February 2, 2011
Subscribing
Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #870
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ladychaos777
Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Try using fresh cauliflower. I don't cook it at all. Just put it all in the food processor, then spread it on the pan. I actually pried it off the pizza pan after it was done baking and cooked it a little bit longer on my griddle. It was still tortilla like, but was not soggy.