Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #811
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I squish the cauliflower in my fists. It's Ninjaflower!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #812
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nekkidfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I squish the cauliflower in my fists. It's Ninjaflower!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #813
Senior LCF Member

Okay ... first ... you do not taste the cauliflower!

But ... now I need help figuring out what I might have done wrong.

My pizza pans are pretty large, so I doubled the recipe. I do not have a sieve or a food processor (I'm getting one for my B-day) ... so I pressed the cauliflower in a dish towel and then just hand-shredded it ... added the cheese and eggs ... and then topped with some garlic powder and Italian seasonings.

At 14 minutes, I could tell the middle was still 'soft' ... and yes, I evenly spread it across the whole pizza pan. So, I cooked it a few more minutes. Then I tried lifting it with a spatula. The edges were done and lifted easily, but the center was still bread-like. So I cooked it a few more minutes. After maybe another five minutes, I was able to lift the whole thing with a spatula, but it was very thin, and soft .... tortilla like.

But, I went ahead and topped it and put it under the broiler ... and we will eat it with a fork and love it.

The outside edge is burnt, which I don't like. :no: I normally make our crust using cream cheese and Trader Joe's Italian mix, but I'd really like to use the cauliflower.

So ... any ideas on what I did wrong? Maybe I made it too thin? Maybe I should have squished the cauliflower more? Ideas?

HUGz! Jules
Old 04-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #814
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Nekkidfish

I don't think you needed to double it... I make the original recipe (I think it's 1c shredded cauli, 1c mozz, 1 egg, some seasoning... ) and that spreads just right to make about a dinner-plate sized pizza crust.

I think if you double it, it's too much area and like you said--the outside cooks before the interior does.

yes-- it's more of a thick tortilla than a bready-type pizza crust... but I have to say, when I make it, it firms up and is "pick-up-able" even when warm.

I'd also suggest shredding the cauli first, then cookiing it, and wringing it in a towel once it cools a bit to get all the moisture out-- you really need as much out as possible or it won't firm up properly.

So summary: drier and smaller for you and I think it will be even better!

Soren

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
Old 04-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #815
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
Nekkidfish

I don't think you needed to double it... I make the original recipe (I think it's 1c shredded cauli, 1c mozz, 1 egg, some seasoning... ) and that spreads just right to make about a dinner-plate sized pizza crust.

I think if you double it, it's too much area and like you said--the outside cooks before the interior does.

yes-- it's more of a thick tortilla than a bready-type pizza crust... but I have to say, when I make it, it firms up and is "pick-up-able" even when warm.

I'd also suggest shredding the cauli first, then cookiing it, and wringing it in a towel once it cools a bit to get all the moisture out-- you really need as much out as possible or it won't firm up properly.

So summary: drier and smaller for you and I think it will be even better!

Soren
Aaaaahhhh! Okay, so smaller pizzas!!! Got it!!

I will do what you say next time!!!

HUGz! Jules
Old 04-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #816
Senior LCF Member

Okay, just to be clear ... do I throw the frozen cauliflower in the food processor, or do I lay it out to thaw first?

And then, I add a little water and microwave for 8 minutes?

Thanks bunches! Jules
Old 04-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #817
something there

I actually cook the frozen cauliflower in the microwave.
Then I drain out the water and let the cauliflower sit, either in a colander or in the pot to further dry out.
Then I process it.
Then I Ninjasqueeze out any of the remaining water between my fists and plop it into a bowl by fistfuls.

It's low tech but sessy.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #818
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree with Cleo (um, its her recipe )

I use my microwave-- when I do the fresh, I shred it, raw, then add a wee bit of hot water, cover, and microwave it for a good 10 min or so, maybe longer.

I think with the frozen, I thawed it, shredded it, and then nuked it and drained it... but I don't remember.

I don't think there's a wrong way-- as long as, at the end, you have cooked shredded soft cauli, and you get a lot of the water out
Old 04-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #819
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I agree with Cleo (um, its her recipe )

I use my microwave-- when I do the fresh, I shred it, raw, then add a wee bit of hot water, cover, and microwave it for a good 10 min or so, maybe longer.

I think with the frozen, I thawed it, shredded it, and then nuked it and drained it... but I don't remember.

I don't think there's a wrong way-- as long as, at the end, you have cooked shredded soft cauli, and you get a lot of the water out
I was thinking ... if I did it with fresh ... couldn't you shred a bunch and then store it in baggies in the freezer?

HUGz! Jules
Old 04-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #820
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidfish View Post
I was thinking ... if I did it with fresh ... couldn't you shred a bunch and then store it in baggies in the freezer?

HUGz! Jules
Hey Jules

I'm not an expert, but I think all frozen veggies need to be partially cooked (usually parboiled) before freezing, otherwise they get weird.

I do this with cauli though-- I shred a whole fresh head, and then steam it in the microwave, and freeze what I don't use
Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #821
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey Jules

I'm not an expert, but I think all frozen veggies need to be partially cooked (usually parboiled) before freezing, otherwise they get weird.

I do this with cauli though-- I shred a whole fresh head, and then steam it in the microwave, and freeze what I don't use
Aaahhhh! Gotcha!! Thanks, I didn't know that!

HUGz! Jules
Old 04-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #822
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: OliviaKat
Stats: 232/224/130
Ok, now this sounds good! but the pics did not show up on the first page! is there a page where the photos show up!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #823
something there

Here are some pictures. I shut down photobucket because it was being a jerk.

Here is the bread stick and pizza image.

And this is the zucchini/taco pizza:
Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 AM   #824
Junior LCF Member

Ok, now that looks good!!! looks like I may be putting cauliflower on my grocery list! lol
Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #825
something there

I've often bought out the freezer section of the local grocery store gathering as much cauliflower as I can! I want to try using fresh and seeing if there's any appreciable difference, but for me, it's pretty convenient to use frozen.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #826
Junior LCF Member

ok i could have sworn I posted this yesterday - when I made it the crust turned out very wet - even still today - any advice?
Old 04-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #827
something there

That sounds like not enough of the liquid was drained out of the cauliflower prior to adding the egg and cheese, or perhaps the crust wasn't uniform in thickness? I've had both happen before.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #828
Junior LCF Member

the crust was very thin - maybe you are right about the water - I am having to throw it away its just way too soggy good but soggy soggy foods make me

but I will try again!!!!
Old 04-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #829
Senior LCF Member

I just bought a head of fresh cauliflower, and got my new processor ... so I'm going to grade it all up and put it in little 1-cup baggies in the fridge.

But, after I nuke it in the microwave, I'm going to drain it, and then spread it on a bake pan and sit it outside to dry. Worth a try?

HUGz! Jules
Old 04-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #830
something there

Olivia-- I'm super picky about textures, too. I can't do soggy. You could try making three smaller crusts and flipping those part way through the cooking process. I do that sometimes.

nekkid- That could definitely work. I let my cooked cauliflower sit in a colander for an hour or so and it seems to dry out pretty well. It allows for air flow. I also live in Colorado, which is a pretty dry climate, so that makes it much easier for me to achieve cauliflower moisture removal to a large degree.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #831
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
I've flipped the crust about 1/2 way through baking too.It works well!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #832
something there

*like*
Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #833
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bostonbq
I joined this forum because of this recipe, it sounds and looks awesome. I'm really looking forward to trying it. My 2 cents on the mushy pizza stone results is that the stones were probably not pre-heated. A room temp stone would actually shield the bottom of the pizza from the oven's heat until it reached the oven's temp, which can take 20 to 30 minutes, leaving the bottom undercooked. To make a crisp thin flour based crust a stone should be pre-heated to 450+ degrees. You would roll out the crust, transfer it to a pizza peel sprinkled with corn meal, add sauce and toppings, and slide it onto the hot stone. It doesn't sound like you could do this with the cauliflower crust (maybe on parchment, if it could stand the heat.) You certainly wouldn't want to take your preheated pizza stone out and try to spread cauliflower on it.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #834
something there

Hi, boston! It is so nice to meet you! Welcome to LCF. Great tips! I also have a zucchini crust and a spinach crust and am working on a few others on my blog, too. I'm always trying to perfect this thing.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #835
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
Hey Cleo, I've made many versions of your recipe in the past and they were delicious, and dinner tonight is the Taco Pizza version. While visiting my parents in the South a while back, I made this pizza for them and my brother's family and didn't say a word about it being low carb or anything else, I just told them it was a new recipe I'd found that my husband and I liked. These are Southern meat and potatos types, and they LOVED the pizza, it was scarfed up. It was only after everyone was finished with dinner and asking me about the recipe that I told them it was a zuccini crust. I don't think they thought it was a "real" pizza crust, but they sure didn't think it was something "diet" either, lol.

Thx for the great recipes!

"The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment."

"Our perception gathers proof that our beliefs are right."
Old 05-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #836
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
I just made this tonight for dinner---I was skeptical. BUT I LOVEEE it! Thank you so much for this recipe. Truly delicious and great for the cravings
Old 05-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #837
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
I made this again tonight (I made it a couple of years ago and liked it.)

I too, had issues with the moisture. I baked it until it was on the verge of burning, and it looked good, the edges were crispy. After I added toppings and sliced it up, that's when I found out that the middle was still kinda soggy.

I don't know how much drier I can get it. After I riced the cauli, I put it on a plate, covered it with 2 paper towels and pushed on it until the paper towel was soaking. I did that 10 times until the moisture was barely dampening the paper towels. I don't know how much drier I can get it. The only other thing I can think to do would be to put it on a cookie sheet and bake it at 200 degrees for a while to dehydrate it some.

Maybe cooking the crust at 300 for 20-30 minutes to dry it out a bit, and then turn up the heat to 450 for 5-10 minutes to crisp it up?

Low-Carb foods are not created equal
Enjoy- cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, fresh chicken, fish, beef, pork, bacon, sausage, cheese, LC veggies, berries/melon, dressings, stevia, chocolate (75% cocoa) and red wine
Avoid - Mayo, canola oil, too much protein, processed LC foods (tortillas, candy, shakes, bars) Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, corn products (xanthan gum, dextrose, maltodextrin)
Old 05-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #838
Major LCF Poster!

Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #839
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aediekins View Post
I made this again tonight (I made it a couple of years ago and liked it.)

I too, had issues with the moisture. I baked it until it was on the verge of burning, and it looked good, the edges were crispy. After I added toppings and sliced it up, that's when I found out that the middle was still kinda soggy.

I don't know how much drier I can get it. After I riced the cauli, I put it on a plate, covered it with 2 paper towels and pushed on it until the paper towel was soaking. I did that 10 times until the moisture was barely dampening the paper towels. I don't know how much drier I can get it. The only other thing I can think to do would be to put it on a cookie sheet and bake it at 200 degrees for a while to dehydrate it some.

Maybe cooking the crust at 300 for 20-30 minutes to dry it out a bit, and then turn up the heat to 450 for 5-10 minutes to crisp it up?
Honestly, I was thinking of trying it one more time, and do what you say ... turn the heat down and bake it a lot longer.

I keep trying to embrace cauliflower ... :blush:

HUGz! Jules
Old 05-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #840
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidfish View Post
Honestly, I was thinking of trying it one more time, and do what you say ... turn the heat down and bake it a lot longer.

I keep trying to embrace cauliflower ... :blush:

HUGz! Jules
Honestly it is by far the best most neutral crust I have found. It's certainly not bready crust, but it does the job of getting the toppings (the best part anyway) to my mouth without a knife and fork. I have tried all kinds of flax, coconut flour and protein powder crusts and I don't like any of them. This one has a nice, neutral flavor and texture, I just wish it wasn't so wet.