Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Recipe Forum Sticky Threads (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipe-forum-sticky-threads/)
-   -   Cleochatra's Revoloopsie Rolls (home-made hamburger buns and more) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipe-forum-sticky-threads/536942-cleochatras-revoloopsie-rolls-home-made-hamburger-buns-more.html)

Tommyswife 01-04-2008 12:00 PM

Cleochatra's Revoloopsie Rolls (home-made hamburger buns and more)

The recipe looks fantastic, but I'm curious about the taste. Has anyone tried them yet, if so, how are they? :D Considering they're made with cream cheese, do they taste cheesey. Dumb question, I know but I don't how else to phrase it.........:D

cleochatra 01-04-2008 12:12 PM

You won't barf from the cream cheese. You most likely won't even taste it. To me, it adds richness and sweetness, but it's not like a cream cheese danish or anything. I think it really is just there to keep the buns supple so that they won't fall apart and crumble.

I didn't know they'd be such a huge hit with the kids and the hubby, but the kids seriously just sat down and ate a half dozen of my buns just now (I just made a new batch)! My husband eats them plain, and so does my son. They now say they want sandwiches made from them! My kids are super-picky (of of them was just diagnosed as high-functioning autism), and so for them to prefer these to bread is pretty huge.

sugarless4life 01-04-2008 01:37 PM

Here's my first try:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...onrolls003.jpg

We're getting Wendy's for supper and I can't wait to eat these !!

Betty

cleochatra 01-04-2008 01:59 PM

Woohoo, Betty! Those look AWESOME! That's how mine look, too. I want Wendy's again tonight. LOL

CarolynF 01-04-2008 02:06 PM

Okay..I had a grilled cheese sandwich a la Cleo for lunch..Nommie..

Now, for a really perfect shaped RR, you can use those muffin top pans..well oiled or sprayed..They make perfect ones..

Cleo..we would love a You-Tube of you doing this!!! but your little friends added some variety and fun to it!!

sugarless4life 01-04-2008 02:07 PM

I used the NON-STICK Reynolds wrap on a cookie sheet and it worked flawlessly .. I love that stuff!

Betty

michelemomof2 01-04-2008 02:16 PM

They look wonderful!!!! Thanks! I'm going to give them a try after I buy some cream of tartar. :D

cleochatra 01-04-2008 02:16 PM

sugarless-- I should try parchment! What a GREAT idea!

Carolyn-- OMG! I about fell out of my chair at the thought of doing a youtube. LOLOL!!! Dear sweet Lord. I'd never make a decent video. Maybe someday. NOT!!! ROTFLMAOPMP

Tommyswife 01-04-2008 02:29 PM

Sugarless4life they look yummy and real buttery. Hmmm! ARe they the consistency of bread/muffin? What do they taste like?

Awww shucks! I just noticed that I need cream of tartar. What the heck? I never knew it existed. Hopefully, they'll have it at Ralph's or maybe somebody can email some to me. LOL I wish it were that easy.

CarolynF 01-04-2008 02:30 PM

We would love to see you "do your little thing with your funny comments in person"..

Gals...I am not kidding...GO GET A MUFFIN TOP PAN...if you are a serious roll maker..:)
They are fabulous..gotta spray like crazy, but they are wonderful.

sugarless4life 01-04-2008 03:53 PM

Here's my dinner tonight ... Wendy's double cheeseburger with low carb ketchup on the side!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...6/P1040003.jpg
Quote:

Sugarless4life they look yummy and real buttery. Hmmm! ARe they the consistency of bread/muffin? What do they taste like?
The taste really isn't much .. with the burger, you don't even notice .. they hold together every bit as good as a real bun .. I am SOLD on these!

Betty

cnklove38 01-04-2008 04:10 PM

Why are mine all watery?? No way I could put them on a cookie sheet :(

sugarless4life 01-04-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnklove38 (Post 9731307)

Hon, you have to fold the egg mixture into the egg whites VERY SLOWLY .. like a snails pace .. so you don't break down the whites .. and make sure your whites are whipped to be STIFF before you begin folding in the egg mixture...

Betty

weasel! 01-04-2008 04:35 PM

Has anyone tried making these with no sweetener?

cleochatra 01-04-2008 04:37 PM

You could probably make it sans sweetener if you wanted to. I haven't tried it. Good to see you, BTW!

cnklove38 01-04-2008 04:42 PM

This is harder than I thought, :(

cleochatra 01-04-2008 04:45 PM

cnklove-- If you lived closer, I'd drive some over to you! They really are worth it! Don't give up!

sugarless4life is sold on them, so you known they're worth it!

sappl38220 01-04-2008 04:50 PM

These are soooo versatile, I just warmed them, put butter and sf maple syrup on them....yummo!!:love:
I added 1 TBS of almond flour to my batch and they turned out purrrfect!
my batch yielded 8 large buns.
I used
3 eggs and whites,
cr of t.
3 oz.cream cheese &
the 1 T. almond flour

I will see if they pass the hamburger test tomorrow.

elyseelyse 01-04-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnklove38 (Post 9731307)

Yeah, no do not do that. Well, unless you want an upper arm workout. I have some new muscles popping from scrape scrape scrape. I did still bake it after I made the mess. I was hoping some magic genie fairy would save them in the oven. AH, no that did not happen, twice. :o

AllisonB 01-04-2008 07:47 PM

Here's a tip for stiff egg whites. When I beat egg whites I put a glass bowl and my beaters in the freezer for a while. Not long enough for the bowl to get frosty (you don't want any moisture inside the bowl), but long enough to get really cold. And I try to get my eggs to room temp. before beating. The egg whites are stiff and fluffy in no time.

ReneeD70 01-04-2008 07:59 PM

What does the cream of tartar do? My Grandma always said it was "food bleach" so I never ever bought or used in 17yrs of marriage and I cook/bake a lot. I just always left it out if it called for it. Grandma WUZ crazy tho:D

CarolynF 01-04-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnklove38 (Post 9731453)
This is harder than I thought, :(

The KEY to whipping egg whites is to making sure you get NO yolk in them..otherwise forget about whipping them..

Many peeps break the eggs and one at a time put the whites in a custard cup in case some yolk falls in by accident..(then you can save that white for an omelette later). Do one egg at a time.in the custard cup..then drop in the large bowl.

The whites have to be so stiff that you can hold the bowl upside down and they won't move..

Cream of tartar helps them "hold up"

marymc 01-04-2008 08:14 PM

It's supposed to help make it fluffier!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReneeD70 (Post 9732760)
What does the cream of tartar do? My Grandma always said it was "food bleach" so I never ever bought or used in 17yrs of marriage and I cook/bake a lot. I just always left it out if it called for it. Grandma WUZ crazy tho:D

lisabinil 01-05-2008 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReneeD70 (Post 9732760)

It's a stabilizer for the egg whites-helps them hold their peaks. You can also use white vinegar. I've never used either-never had a problem whipping them. :D

JKat 01-05-2008 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weasel! (Post 9731415)
Has anyone tried making these with no sweetener?

I make mine with garlic powder and onion powder. I also use sour cream instead of cream cheese.

helens 01-05-2008 12:48 PM

An easy way to separate eggs is to crack the egg and let it drop into your clean hand, letting the white slide into the bowl from between slightly spready fingers...messy, but works well and keeps the yolk from breaking.

You'll get better volume if the eggs are at room temperature, and make sure the bowl is completely dry. A copper bowl will produce the best volume.

If there's even the slightest bit of oil or grease or fat of any sort in the bowl the whites will break down and won't get very stiff. They can also break down if you overbeat them, making them runny.

Amy Lynn 01-05-2008 01:30 PM

my mom and i have been making the rolls this way for about two years now, though we never use sweetener.

i'm with carolyn...you can't beat the muffin top pan for perfect "bun size" and it's fun to experiment with different seasonings etc.

for example, it really takes on a "hamburger bun" taste & texture when you add sesame seeds to the batter. :)

LibertyJen 01-05-2008 01:42 PM

Okay, Okay ... I gotta get me a muffin top pan ...

These sound delish!!!

cleochatra 01-05-2008 02:02 PM

Sour cream has more carbs in it, so adjust for that in your carb numbers!

It's fun hearing how people are tweaking the recipe!

LowCarbSleepyToast 01-05-2008 06:19 PM

:sick::laugh: You guys separate the eggs with your hands? Eeeeeww....lol.. All you have to do is gently crack the egg in half, then dump the white out of the half that doesnt have the yolk.. then dump the yolk into the empty half...and repeat until all the white is in the bowl...

I made some with mayo.. I still consider them more of 'oopsie' rolls than traditional revolution rolls because I used alot more mayo than recomended, about 5-6 tbsp probably.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...t/DSCF0716.jpg

They were pretty good, but unfortunantly, I ate all but one tonight :blush: So I might have to take out the sweetener..or just not make them.