Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #1921
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: draven31
bump to subscribe.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #1922
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SMGN
Stats: 189/135
WOE: Atkins
Just made these for the first time. Dunno what I did wrong, because they look like shiny meringue pancakes, so I think I will treat them like that in the morning.

I added some cinnamon (accounted for the carbs) and they smell wonderful and have a good flavor. They are light as air, so it is a good thing I wasn't planning to use these as buns. lol
Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #1923
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
They do make fine pancakes! Or you can dredge them in egg and make them into french toast.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #1924
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mishka68
Stats: 195/139/135 -- 5'1" tall (or short)
WOE: Low-carb, Gluten-free, Grain-free
Start Date: Since 2008 - started @ 195lbs.
Seriously -- oopsie rolls have saved me a lot of carbs! ♥
Old 09-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #1925
something there

I am going to make some more, but my kids always steal them. :^o
Old 09-19-2010, 04:39 AM   #1926
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alonewithyou
Stats: 5'4, 150 lbs
WOE: Atkins >20 carbs a day
Start Date: 09-01-10/10-29-12/01-10-13/07-29-13
I live in Norway so we don't have cream of tartar, at least I don't know what it is. What's it used for??
Old 09-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #1927
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonewithyou View Post
I live in Norway so we don't have cream of tartar, at least I don't know what it is. What's it used for??

Cream of Tartar is tartaric acid, a byproduct of the the wine making industry. It helps the egg whites whip up stiffer and to hold their volume better.

Most recipes for meringue call for cream of tartar, so if you can find a Norwegian recipe for meringue, perhaps that would give you the name of the acidic ingredient used there to stabilize the whipped egg whites.

If you can't find any, it's not absolutely vital for making oopsies. Just adding the sweetener and the salt to the egg whites (instead of the yolk and cream cheese mixture) will help stabilize them too.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #1928
Senior LCF Member

okay! thanks for the tips! I found a Norwegian recipe, they used eggs, cream cheese and baking soda. I have tried it and it was okay.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #1929
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
okay! thanks for the tips! I found a Norwegian recipe, they used eggs, cream cheese and baking soda. I have tried it and it was okay.
Baking soda is actually alkaline instead of acidic, but if it works, great!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:46 AM   #1930
Senior LCF Member

yeah it worked! But mine sticked to the plate and they didn't really get any color. They were also moist inside :/ I WILL try again though.

Oh and edit, I mean baking powder! Silly me...
Old 09-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #1931
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
yeah it worked! But mine sticked to the plate and they didn't really get any color. They were also moist inside :/ I WILL try again though.

Oh and edit, I mean baking powder! Silly me...
You may need to bake them at a slightly higher temperature, or for a slightly longer time so that they'll brown. I set my oven partway between 300 and 325 to help dry them out a little better since it's so humid here. They should still be nice and soft inside when baked, but not uncooked looking or runny.

Many of us use parchment paper on the baking sheets to keep them from sticking. No cooking spray needed that way, and you can use the same pieces of parchment numerous times. The more often I use the same pieces of parchment paper, the easier the release. I just pick up a corner of the paper, peel them off the paper using my hands, and lay the oopsies on a wire rack to cool.

Baking powder - yes, that would have an acidic component to it. Usually baking powder has both acid and alkaline in it with a little starch to extend it so that it's a standardized acid and alkaline amount for measuring.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #1932
something there

New batch this morning cooling on the counter.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #1933
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
You can use a 1/4 tsp of vinegar to your egg whites instead of cream of tartar.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #1934
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post

New batch this morning cooling on the counter.
You had said you were thinking about developing an updated recipe - Did you do something different with this batch? Even when I made them in the mini-cake pans, they still didn't get all those peaked bumps on them.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #1935
something there

I am definitely doing some experimentation with the recipe. It's time for the baby bun birds to leave the nest!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #1936
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
You can use a 1/4 tsp of vinegar to your egg whites instead of cream of tartar.
Thank you Lisa - I thought I recalled someone using vinegar instead of cream of tartar, but I had no idea how much! (which is why I stuck w/information I knew for sure)
Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #1937
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I am definitely doing some experimentation with the recipe. It's time for the baby bun birds to leave the nest!
Don't hold out on us Cleo! What'd ya do different this time?
Old 09-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #1938
something there

Right now, I'm just poking through the cupboards saying, "I wonder what this'll do..." I want to try 5 or 6 batches with that philosophy before I make any comments--just in case. I'd feel petty bad if they're terrible and I give the additions.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #1939
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Right now, I'm just poking through the cupboards saying, "I wonder what this'll do..." I want to try 5 or 6 batches with that philosophy before I make any comments--just in case. I'd feel petty bad if they're terrible and I give the additions.
Ok, I guess I can wait then!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #1940
something there

Breakfast: McMuffin for fall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oopsie mcmuffin2.jpg (35.7 KB, 100 views)
Old 11-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #1941
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kali88
Stats: 277/225/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 06/29/12
First time poster here, I just found the recipe yesterday and couldn't wait to try it. I just made the first batch and they look like pancakes. I tried a 2nd batch, they're in the oven now, but they look just like the first batch.

I think I'm whipping the egg whites too long, but I didn't have stiff peaks so I had to keep whipping.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #1942
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali88 View Post
First time poster here, I just found the recipe yesterday and couldn't wait to try it. I just made the first batch and they look like pancakes. I tried a 2nd batch, they're in the oven now, but they look just like the first batch.

I think I'm whipping the egg whites too long, but I didn't have stiff peaks so I had to keep whipping.

I don't know what might have happened, but here's the oopsie troubleshooting checklist I wrote a while back. Maybe it'll help you figure out what the problem is:

Quote:
Let's go through a little checklist, to see if we can troubleshoot the problem:

- You need two bowls: A larger one for the egg whites, and a slightly smaller one for the yolk mixture.

- When separating the eggs, make sure you don't get any egg yolk mixed in with the whites, or else the whites won't whip up properly.

- Make sure your egg white bowl and beaters are scrupulously clean - any greasy/oily residue could prevent your egg whites from whipping up properly.

Start with the egg whites

- Make sure that you're not trying to whip the egg whites using beaters contaminated with yolk and cream cheese residue.

- Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites - it helps them whip up stiffer and maintain their volume better.

- Do not attempt to whip your egg whites using a blender, because they will not get stiff enough! An electric mixer works best, but you could also use a rotary egg beater or a whisk - they just take a lot longer.

- Whip the egg whites on high speed until they form very stiff peaks. This will take several minutes.

- Stop the mixer and lift your beaters out of the egg whites. There should be peaks that look like this: ||| not like this: ((( And certainly not like this: ~~~

- Additional test for stiff egg whites: Turn the entire bowl of beaten egg whites upside down. If they don't move at all, they're stiff enough. Do this only after first checking for stiff peaks, otherwise, you're likely to end up with your egg whites all over the floor!

Once the egg whites are stiff, you're ready to do the yolk/cream cheese mixture:

- Mix the egg yolks and cream cheese in a different bowl from the whites.

- You don't need to wash the beaters after whipping your egg whites, just scrape off most of the excess stiff egg whites into the egg white bowl.

- Don't soften the cream cheese. It will mix into the egg yolks just fine straight out of the fridge. (You can let it sit at room temperature while you do the egg whites if you want though)

- Just mix away until there's no obvious chunks of cream cheese left.

- The cream cheese does NOT need to be blended into the yolks perfectly smoothly. It's OK to still have some little bits of unmixed cream cheese in the yolk mixture.

Folding the yolk mixture into the stiff egg whites:

- NEVER use a mixer or blender of any kind to fold in the yolk mixture (Not even if it has a setting that says "fold" - that's still too fast, and will still break down the egg whites, giving you a pan full of "flopsies", instead of oopsies.)

- Don't try to fold in all the yolk mixture at once.

- Pour about half the yolk mixture over the egg whites.

- Fold the yolk mixture in by hand, using a long thin spatula/spoonula or a long thin teaspoon

- Cleo recommends folding the yolk mixture in by gently moving your long handled spoon back and forth across the bowl of egg whites in a sine wave (S pattern).

- Turn the bowl 90 degrees (1/4 turn) and make another sine wave (S pattern) back and forth across the bowl.

- Repeat this process with the 2nd half of the egg whites.

Problems with this step and what to do:

- If yolk mixture just drops to the bottom of the bowl without mixing in, I find that I can usually drag it back up to the top with my spatula, by scraping directly down the side and up in the middle of the bowl.

- Don't obsess with getting every bit of the yolk mixture evenly mixed into the stiff egg whites though, because every stroke with your spatula/spoon will cause the egg whites to lose a little more volume - there are ways to compensate

- It's ok for the finished mixture to be streaky after folding - stiff whites with yellow streaks of yolk mixture through it is just fine.

Into the Oven

- Spray your pan thoroughly so that the oopsies don't stick to it.

- OR you can cover your baking pan with a sheet of parchment paper.

- OR you can use a sprayed muffin top pan.

- OR place sprayed mini wilton cake pans on a jelly roll pan.

- Start by scooping a spoonful into 6 piles on the baking pan (parchment/muffin top/mini cake pans)

- Pile more oopsie batter on top of those piles

- If you find that you have unmixed yolk mixture at the bottom of the bowl, make a "well" in the piles of oopsie batter (just like making a well in mashed potatoes to hold gravy), and scoop the runny yolk mixture into them, so that it doesn't run all over.

- Bake at 300 F for 30 minutes.

What to expect:

- The oopsies will puff up as they're baking, before flattening out somewhat.

- These are not 1-1/2" high white flour hamburger buns! Mine always settle down to less than 1/2" high.

- It will take two oopsies to make a sandwich - one on the top and one on the bottom, because they're not thick enough to slice.

- If your oopsies are crumbly, check the recipe.
->The original Atkins Rev Roll only used 1 Tbsp of cream cheese per egg, resulting in a roll that was hard and crumbly when first baked (like a meringue), but when stored in an air tight container overnight, would soften.
->Cleo's Oopsies use 1 oz (2 Tbsp) cream cheese per egg. All that extra cream cheese means they're soft and pliable as soon as they come out of the oven.

- If you've checked the recipe and they're still crumbly when they come out of the oven, or if they don't appear to be done after 1/2 hour, your oven temperature may not be accurate.

- If you live in a dry climate, your oopsies will probably dry out enough to store them in a plastic bag within a few hours.

- If you live in a humid climate, they may become more moist the longer they sit out. What I do in this humid area is to bake them at a slightly higher temperature (just under 325F) to dry them out a bit more in the baking process. Then as soon as they're cooled, and are no longer moist feeling on the bottom, bag them and refrigerate.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #1943
something there

Nice, Madame! Also, here's a video that might help? Viddler.com - Oopsie Roll! - Uploaded by avenuegirl
Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #1944
Senior LCF Member

I don't know if it's already been asked, but does anyone use a muffin pan to make them? I'll assume they will stick to it and not be very successful!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #1945
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I don't know if it's already been asked, but does anyone use a muffin pan to make them? I'll assume they will stick to it and not be very successful!

I know that many people use muffin top pans, but I can't recall if anyone has used a regular muffin pan to bake them or not. It's worth a try - Just be sure to spray the pans so that the oopsies don't stick.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #1946
Senior LCF Member

yeah I'll have to spray them big-time! will try sometime soon.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #1947
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
Quote:
yeah I'll have to spray them big-time! will try sometime soon.
Would cupcake liners help?
Old 01-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #1948
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michiko
Stats: Size 24-26/Size 18/Size 8-10
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2014
I tried these for the first time today and they're good! Very easy to make. We had turkey bacon cheeseburgers with the rolls and they were so satisfying.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #1949
something there

I second spraying muffin tins with Pam (I use olive oil version). I use the muffin tins when I use add-ins to the batter and want more of a popover. I'll add things like sliced green olives, ham, pimiento and shredded cheese. You could even opt for pizza toppings and go for pepperoni, cheese, mushrooms, etc. My kids love the smaller oopsie popovers.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #1950
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rhondaking
Stats: 165/148/130
WOE: Atkins (and a mix of South Beach)
Start Date: November 2010
pretty new to this, but WHAT exactly are these oopsies? what do you do with them? Sorry for the obviously dumb question!