Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #1861
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
They are SO easy to make. Seriously. I think all the tips really have more to do with handling egg whites than anything else. Just set your Kitchenaide mixer and walk away.

Yep, they are quite easy. Even if you don't have a kitchen aide mixer. (Yep, I stand there holding my little electric hand mixer, with my finger firmly planted on the "power boost" button, so they'll whip up stiff as quickly as possible.)

I hope you don't mind me posting the tips repeatedly - some people are just inexperienced with how to whip the whites, what consititutes stiff egg whites, how to fold in the yolk mixture, etc, so I was only trying to help them figure out what went wrong. It's sooooo worth learning the basics of whipping egg whites and folding.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #1862
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2009
I don't know if anyone has already posted this before, but I put my eggs into warm (NOT hot) water while I get everything else ready. This seems to bring them to room temperature enough and they really beat up high. The recipe makes 6 globs and they start out about 2 inches high and wind up less than one inch high after baked. I think this drop is normal. Also, I chill the egg white bowl and beaters prior to mixing and currently am using 1 teaspoon cream of tartar. I spray my cookie sheet or muffin top pan with baking spray and they just pop right out.

I also warm eggs up in the same way prior to putting them into boiling water for hard boiled eggs. After putting them in, I set the timer for 13 minutes. After 13 minutes, I dump out the boiling water and replace it with cold tap water to stop the cooking and to cool them.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #1863
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I use my hand held, too. Heck, some folks whip them up by hand!

I don't mind the repeat help for egg whites. they're a culinary find all on their own. The person armed with its knowledge can make meringues, pavlovas and more. It's a whiteapaloosa.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #1864
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 224/198.6/150
WOE: Atkins & Exercise
Start Date: Start Date: October 17,2011
WOW! I have been away for over a year and am pleasently surprised to see the OOPSIE thread still alive and kicking!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #1865
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinsOnMyMind777 View Post
WOW! I have been away for over a year and am pleasently surprised to see the OOPSIE thread still alive and kicking!
Ain't it great?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:21 AM   #1866
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FarmSchooler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
I'm curious about your cheese curds, would you mind sharing your method/recipe?
Im FINALLY going to get around to making these today. Hope it turns out.

Cheese curds....we milk our own cow. Getting 3-4 gallons of milk daily. Will start getting 3 gallons of goats milk besides next month. Id say Im spoiled, but its a LOT of work - lol - a labor of love.

With raw unpasteurized milk (from clean disease free dairy cows), if you simply let the milk set on the counter for a couple of days (in a clean GLASS jar), the milk will separate into curds and whey. I pour the whole "mess" thru a flour sack towel once it separates and let it drip/drain off the whey (in the fridge) for another 24 hours. the result is a tart soft cheese curd, much like cream cheese...though it can get very dry if you let it drain for too long.

I actually make cottage cheese out of the crumbled curds (my grandmothers recipe) by pouring fresh cream over the top of the crumbled curds and then sprinkling with a bit of sea salt and cayenne...cayenne is optional, but *I* love it.

Hope homemade curds work with these rolls...though today i will only be using store bought cream cheese....it takes planning and time to have the curds ready when I need the rolls. Then of course the hens quit laying this last week, when nite time temps were below zero - lol. Its not generally as simple as just going to the grocery store would be......my life has never been simple though

I got all the raw milk ideas online years ago. Very old world Hungarian website first introduced me to the ideas. Raw milk (from healthy disease free dairy animals) is an amazing miraculous food.

Last edited by FarmSchooler; 01-11-2010 at 06:25 AM..
Old 01-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #1867
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmSchooler View Post

Hope homemade curds work with these rolls...though today i will only be using store bought cream cheese....it takes planning and time to have the curds ready when I need the rolls. Then of course the hens quit laying this last week, when nite time temps were below zero - lol. Its not generally as simple as just going to the grocery store would be......my life has never been simple though
If you're using the curds from milk that you've already skimmed the cream off of, you're not going to get the exact same results. They'll probably be a lot more like the original Atkins Revolution rolls, simply because they won't have nearly as much fat in them.

Oopsies come out so soft and pliable simply because of the fat in the cream cheese - approximately 9g fat per oz of cream cheese.

Your curds, if they are being made from milk that you've already skimmed the cream from, will have almost no fat in them. If you use your homemade cottage cheese, with adequate cream poured over it, you'll probably see results somewhere between Atkins rolls and Oopsies. This is because the curds, while soft, will still have a very different carb/protein/fat proportion than regular cream cheese.

Let us know how they come out!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #1868
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FarmSchooler
Not sure what gave you the idea Im skimming the cream off the milk, but I dont generally do that...except when Im making butter or kefired cream. Our cow is a Jersey and about 15-20% of each gallon (by volume) is cream. So my curds are MUCH creamier than commercial cream cheese unless I let it hang too long and they dry out.

Have had several visitors today and have accomplished nothing in the kitchen as a result - lol. Should have known better than to try something like this on a Monday (eg hay being delivered, firewood being chopped & picked up, farrier visiting and a neighbor "just checking in". Still have to get our homeschool done between noon and 3pm, so will wait until later in the week to try to bake again after all.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #1869
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmSchooler View Post
Not sure what gave you the idea Im skimming the cream off the milk, but I dont generally do that...except when Im making butter or kefired cream. Our cow is a Jersey and about 15-20% of each gallon (by volume) is cream. So my curds are MUCH creamier than commercial cream cheese unless I let it hang too long and they dry out.

Have had several visitors today and have accomplished nothing in the kitchen as a result - lol. Should have known better than to try something like this on a Monday (eg hay being delivered, firewood being chopped & picked up, farrier visiting and a neighbor "just checking in". Still have to get our homeschool done between noon and 3pm, so will wait until later in the week to try to bake again after all.
Good to hear that you don't skim the cream off the milk to make your curds. I wasn't saying that you were, only that IF you were, since you said you were then adding cream to the curds to make cottage cheese.

That sounds like some lovely cream cheese you're making!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #1870
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DebbieD
Stats: 204/184.6/155
Start Date: January 7, 2010
Mock CPK California Club Pizza on an Oopsie Roll

Hello everyone,

About a week and a half after starting Atkins (for the 2nd time), I finally took the time to make some Oopsie Rolls. All I can say is "what the heck took me so long!" A toasted oopsie roll with butter and sprinkled with sweetener/cinnamon was a taste of heaven after eating eggs for breakfast every morning for 1-1/2 weeks.

Anyhow, today I made a mock CPK California Club Pizza and just had to share! It was awesome if I do say so myself.

Ingredients: Olive oil spray, grilled chicken, crispy bacon, shredded mozzarella, chopped lettuce, mayo, avocado.

I lightly sprayed the ooopsie rolls with olive oil spray, added some bite-sized pieces of chicken, crumbled on some bacon, and added some mozzarella cheese. I put these in the oven at 325 degrees for about 6 minutes to melt the cheese. I actually had to put them in the microwave for about 30 seconds to finish melting the cheese because I was afraid to burning the oopsie rolls, so temp/time needs to be adjusted.

Then I mixed the chopped lettuce with a bit of mayo (enough to "dress" the lettuce).

Once the cheese was melted on the rolls, I added a pile of lettuce/mayo mix and added a few slices of avocado. I know CPK has tomatoes on theirs, but I'm not a tomato fan so didn't add them.

Hope some of you enjoy this recipe, I know I did and will make it again. And thanks Cleo for the Oopsie roll recipe...for me they were a lifesaver.

Debbie
Old 01-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #1871
something there

Hi there! I am so glad they have been helpful to you! It is so nice to meet you. Welcome to LCF!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #1872
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: victorianandmore
DebbieD - This sounds great! Just one quick (rather stupid!) question - did you spray the olive oil on the bottom of the oopsie to keep it from sticking to the baking sheet - or did you spray the top of the oopsie for flavor? Thanks for posting the recipe -- can't wait to try it! Linda
Old 01-22-2010, 06:12 AM   #1873
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DebbieD
Stats: 204/184.6/155
Start Date: January 7, 2010
Hi Linda, I sprayed the top. I actually found the recipe somewhere online and just changed it up with the oopsie rolls. Didn't have any problem with them sticking on the bottom.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:27 AM   #1874
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: victorianandmore
Thanks DebbieD! I'll be making this soon! Have a good weekend. Linda
Old 01-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #1875
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hidden diva
Stats: 277/255.5/135
WOE: Whatever works for me!
Start Date: Jan 8, 2010
Ok, so I have the muffin top pan, all the ingredients to make the oopsies, so why haven't I tried them yet???? Who knows...but I promised myself to bake up a batch this weekend.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #1876
Major LCF Poster!

My daughter who's 26 loves oopsies. She's not even on an LC diet. I think she loves the slight taste of cream cheese and the fact they're only 85 calories each. I've got to teach her how to make them herself!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #1877
something there

My daughter and hubby swipe mine.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #1878
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Josuanna
Stats: 180/150/140
Start Date: May 2006
My daughters, age 4, love them just for the taste of it..

Whatever you do, don't try to add fiber to the oopsie... I wanted to use some old pea fiber I had, and the texture and the taste all went downhill..same with flax, and, ugh, sesame
Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #1879
The Potty Mouth WIT

Gallery: SmileyAmy
Stats: 267/218.5/Healthy!
WOE: Watching calories!
Ok...what is the most updated recipe? I know it kept changing.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #1880
something there

Most updated =

3 egg whites
3 egg yolks
cream of tartar

I nixed sweeteners. You could add a titch of dry mustard and dill for zip (added to the yolks)
Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #1881
The Potty Mouth WIT

Ok...so no cream cheese anymore? And how much cream of tartar?

Just beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until VERY stiff then fold in the yolks?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #1882
The Potty Mouth WIT

And how long and what temp do you cook at?

There are soooooo many pages - not sure where to look for the most up to date final recipe.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #1883
something there

Oops! Forgot the cream cheese... Is it Friday yet?

I add 1/8 tsp tartar.

So let my try again:

3 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar

3 yolks
3 ounces cream cheese
any spices

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Whip egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form (3-5 minutes).

In a separate bowl, blend yolks, cream cheese and any optional spices.

Carefully fold yolk mixture into whites.

Create six mounds on a cookie sheets, or place batter into muffin top pans. Bake for 30 minutes.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #1884
The Potty Mouth WIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
Oops! Forgot the cream cheese... Is it Friday yet?

I add 1/8 tsp tartar.

So let my try again:

3 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar

3 yolks
3 ounces cream cheese
any spices

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Whip egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form (3-5 minutes).

In a separate bowl, blend yolks, cream cheese and any optional spices.

Carefully fold yolk mixture into whites.

Create six mounds on a cookie sheets, or place batter into muffin top pans. Bake for 30 minutes.

Thank you!!!! I'm gonna FINALLY try this since I've finally decided to do LC again.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #1885
something there

Woohoo!
Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #1886
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I must say that I have not had these rolls in forever, but tried them this afternoon!! I had to whip up the whites twice! The first batch did not fluff up so they, along with the yolks, are to be used for tonight's dinner. But I did not give up. I tried another 3 egg whites and before turning the mixer on, I put the bowl and beaters in the fridge for just a few mins. and wala! Oopies are now in the oven....in my muffin top pans I didn't even know I had! Thanks mom for the gift of the MTP!!! So, all this to say thank you to Cleo!!! I can now enjoy my version of the sausage mcmuffin for breakfast tomorrow!!!! And have sandwiches on which to have my chicken salad on this weekend. What a great week!!! Oh, yeah...I am reading the thread through to see all the versions made (it may take me a week though!!) and all the gorgeous pics. What great inventiveness on this board!! Thanks to everyone for sharing!!!

Last edited by dawnyama; 01-28-2010 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: to add
Old 01-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #1887
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I must say that I have not had these rolls in forever, but tried them this afternoon!! I had to whip up the whites twice! The first batch did not fluff up so they, along with the yolks, are to be used for tonight's dinner. But I did not give up. I tried another 3 egg whites and before turning the mixer on, I put the bowl and beaters in the fridge for just a few mins. and wala! Oopies are now in the oven....in my muffin top pans I didn't even know I had! Thanks mom for the gift of the MTP!!! So, all this to say thank you to Cleo!!! I can now enjoy my version of the sausage mcmuffin for breakfast tomorrow!!!! And have sandwiches on which to have my chicken salad on this weekend. What a great week!!! Oh, yeah...I am reading the thread through to see all the versions made (it may take me a week though!!) and all the gorgeous pics. What great inventiveness on this board!! Thanks to everyone for sharing!!!
Dawn!! they have been a lifesaver for me!! and if you do whip them and the whites don't get stiff enough go ahead and try them makes them denser not as close to bread but still good somewhat similar to the floopsies some people do but i really prefer the oopsies!! my Ds14 uses the ones in the MTPs for mini pizza crusts
Old 02-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #1888
The Potty Mouth WIT

First ever batch is in the oven!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #1889
The Potty Mouth WIT

I don't like these AT all. Bleck.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #1890
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
If you don't like them because they are spongy - let them sit out for a day and they will become much more bready (kind of like brioche).