Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #1831
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dew4j
Stats: 185/140.4/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/1/04, reinduction 1/15/09
oopsie

what is the carb count for an oopsie? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #1832
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kerbear879
Stats: 341/200.2/160 @ 5'9"
Start Date: 3/23/2005
I just got a quick question...I'm in denver area too Cleo so I know you have the answer..how long do you leave them out to make them not moist and do you leave them out uncovered or put in a bag? I made some the other day, they came out looking perfect but were a little to soft in the middle. Maybe I needed to cook them longer?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #1833
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Oopsies are about a carb a piece.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #1834
something there

ker-- If they bake for about 30 minutes, they should be ok. I leave them out o the counter for a few hours and then bag them up afterward.

I don't know where the original recipe is anymore. I would say do a check of LCF threads and it will be in here somewhere.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #1835
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: weasel!
Stats: 156/154/125; 5'7", small frame
WOE: JUDDDD/LCHF/Paleo/WAPF/whole foods
Start Date: restart LCHF 1/2014; restart LCHF/JUDDDD 4/2014
I believe this the original, from Atkins '72. It uses cottage cheese, but over the years people subbed in mayo or cream cheese. jlatislaw recently posted this on the Uses for Oopsies thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatislaw View Post
Here it is (Found this on another thread) (sweetner is optional; if you don't want to use cream of tartar put a shake or so of salt in your whites. The amt in the recipe is so small I don't believe it could bother anybody's system) Just remember to really beat the whites!! and don't stir the yolks in - FOLD VERY CAREFULLY If there's streaks of white don't worry:

REVOLUTION ROLLS

Pre-heat your oven to 300 degrees.

You'll need
3 eggs
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 tablespoons of cottage cheese
1 pack of art. sweetener

You seperate the whites and the yolks of 3 eggs (I put the whites in one bowl, and the yolks in another)- the key is don't get any of the yolks into the whites. Add 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar to the whites and beat the whites until they are fluffy. This is kind of a personal pref as to how you want the whites to be- to a stiff peak (you can turn the bowl upside down and they won't slide out) or not that much. I usually beat mine to a stiff peak, then fold in the remaining ingredients 3 eggs yolks, 3 tablespoons of cottage cheese, 1 pack of splenda. (I mix the yolks, cottage cheese, sweetener together in the other bowl before I add it to the whites) Don't mix it for more than a minute- so you don't break down the fluffy-ness of the whites.

After it's all mixed, spoon it onto a "Pam-ed" cookie sheet into 6 "piles"- the book says to stack it up 2 inches high per roll, but mine are never that firm to stay stacked, they usually kind of spread out on the sheet.

However they land on the sheet, just pop them into the oven at 300 degrees for an hour.

They kind remind you of a mix between angel food cake and a bun from McDonalds.
They're wonderful for breakfast sandwiches and great with burgers too!

Last edited by weasel!; 02-14-2009 at 12:05 PM..
Old 02-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #1836
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: weasel!
Stats: 156/154/125; 5'7", small frame
WOE: JUDDDD/LCHF/Paleo/WAPF/whole foods
Start Date: restart LCHF 1/2014; restart LCHF/JUDDDD 4/2014
Also from the Uses for Oopsie Rolls thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tikes View Post
Look back on page 5 of this link: I can't believe how long this thread is! Kudos to all of you on your cooking and experimentation, I'm making these today!

Cleochatra's Best Ever Revol-Oopsie Rolls

3 large eggs
1 pkg Splenda
dash of salt
pinch of cream of tartar
3 ounces cream cheese (not Tbsp!) Do not soften!

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt, and cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture). Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store them in a bread sack or a ziplock bag to keep them from drying out.

Makes 6@ about 85 calories a piece, >1 carb per
Old 02-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #1837
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pendragginp
Whew! Just finished reading all 39 pages of this thread - I didn't want to miss any recipes!

I made my first batch of oopsies this morning and they came out perfectly. I used the first one I tasted as a dipper in chicken soup - oh my goodness, good! Then just a little while ago I had a sloppy joe.

These really are wonderful. I came here to check this thread out because I had seen Cleo's pictures of the chocolate covered doughnuts elsewhere on the 'net and I was dubious about whether they really could be that versatile or taste that good. Well, they can and they do. Yum.

Thank you, Cleo! <happy dance>

Last edited by pendragginp; 02-22-2009 at 02:42 PM..
Old 04-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #1838
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Ok I have gone back 10 pages of 50 posts each. My eyes are going buggy. I KNOW someone has had to put the "batter" in a jelly roll pan and just cut it up after baking, right? I just want to know how long you bake? The normal length? Am planning on making these tomorrow so hopefully someone sees it by then![/COLOR]
Old 04-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #1839
something there

Bake for 30 minutes, still. It should come out perfectly. That's how I make hotdog buns.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #1840
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PghPALady1974
WOE: thru my mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
Bake for 30 minutes, still. It should come out perfectly. That's how I make hotdog buns.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]

Thank you cleo!!!
[/COLOR]
Old 07-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #1841
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BLUTTO66
Stats: 425/319/285
WOE: Modified Low Carbs
Start Date: Latest Restart -MAY 2ND 2008
This is one thread that needs to keep going. Tons of great ideas here.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #1842
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abby1983
Stats: 5'6" - 157/140/140
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: 9/21
i'll be making these this week, so here's my bump
Old 08-18-2009, 11:43 PM   #1843
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Bump!
Old 10-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #1844
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Patricia.
Is this thread still open?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #1845
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
Of course it is!

Haven't seen Cleo here in a while, but the rest of us are more than willing to try to answer any questions you might have.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:14 PM   #1846
Junior LCF Member

oopsie rolls.

Just a suggestion,I keep my buns in a tin candy can on the counter for a few days then the fridge.I punched some holes in the lid and the rolls stay fresh and there is no stickyness at all.I was surprised at how well this works.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #1847
DJ
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: DJ
Stats: just depressing.
Start Date: August 2004
bump
Old 11-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #1848
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pheonixarising
Stats: 350/333/150
Start Date: November 9, 2009
I'm going to try to make these. The recipie sounds really complicated, but I must prevail because dh has decided to start low carb and he's really going to need these.

Thanks,
Old 11-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #1849
Junior LCF Member

oopsie rolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonixarising View Post
I'm going to try to make these. The recipie sounds really complicated, but I must prevail because dh has decided to start low carb and he's really going to need these.

Thanks,
If you have ever done any baking than they are real easy to make.Just make sure the egg whites are very stiff. Add the yolk mixture to the whites all at once and fold very slowly.(under and over)
Old 11-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #1850
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
Here's the troubleshooting oopsies post, again, just in case you have any trouble making them.

Quote:
Let's go through a little checklist, so see if we can troubleshoot the problem:

- You need two bowls: A larger one for the egg whites, and a slightly smaller one for the yolk mixture.

- When separating the eggs, make sure you don't get any egg yolk mixed in with the whites, or else the whites won't whip up properly.

- Make sure your egg white bowl and beaters are scrupulously clean - any greasy/oily residue could prevent your egg whites from whipping up properly.

Start with the egg whites

- Make sure that you're not trying to whip the egg whites using beaters contaminated with yolk and cream cheese residue.

- Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites - it helps them whip up stiffer and maintain their volume better.

- Whip the egg whites on high speed until they form very stiff peaks. This will take several minutes.

- Stop the mixer and lift your beaters out of the egg whites. There should be peaks that look like this: ||| not like this: ((( And certainly not like this: ~~~

- Additional test for stiff egg whites: Turn the entire bowl of beaten egg whites upside down. If they don't move at all, they're stiff enough. Do this only after first checking for stiff peaks, otherwise, you're likely to end up with your egg whites all over the floor!

Once the egg whites are stiff, you're ready to do the yolk/cream cheese mixture:

- Mix the egg yolks and cream cheese in a different bowl from the whites.

- You don't need to wash the beaters after whipping your egg whites, just scrape off most of the excess stiff egg whites into the egg white bowl.

- Don't soften the cream cheese. It will mix into the egg yolks just fine straight out of the fridge. (You can let it sit at room temperature while you do the egg whites if you want though)

- Just mix away until there's no obvious chunks of cream cheese left.

- The cream cheese does NOT need to be blended into the yolks perfectly smoothly. It's OK to still have some little bits of unmixed cream cheese in the yolk mixture.

Folding the yolk mixture into the stiff egg whites:

- NEVER use a mixer or blender of any kind to fold in the yolk mixture (Not even if it has a setting that says "fold" - that's still too fast, and will still break down the egg whites, giving you a pan full of "flopsies", instead of oopsies.)

- Don't try to fold in all the yolk mixture at once.

- Pour about half the yolk mixture over the egg whites.

- Fold the yolk mixture in by hand, using a long thin spatula/spoonula or a long thin teaspoon

- Cleo recommends folding the yolk mixture in by gently moving your long handled spoon back and forth across the bowl of egg whites in a sine wave (S pattern).

- Turn the bowl 90 degrees (1/4 turn) and make another sine wave (S pattern) back and forth across the bowl.

- Repeat this process with the 2nd half of the egg whites.

Problems with this step and what to do:

- If yolk mixture just drops to the bottom of the bowl without mixing in, I find that I can usually drag it back up to the top with my spatula, by scraping directly down the side and up in the middle of the bowl.

- Don't obsess with getting every bit of the yolk mixture evenly mixed into the stiff egg whites though, because every stroke with your spatula/spoon will cause the egg whites to lose a little more volume - there are ways to compensate

- It's ok for the finished mixture to be streaky after folding - stiff whites with yellow streaks of yolk mixture through it is just fine.

Into the Oven

- Spray your pan thoroughly so that the oopsies don't stick to it.

- OR you can cover your baking pan with a sheet of parchment paper.

- OR you can use a sprayed muffin top pan.

- OR place sprayed mini wilton cake pans on a jelly roll pan.

- Start by scooping a spoonful into 6 piles on the baking pan (parchment/muffin top/mini cake pans)

- Pile more oopsie batter on top of those piles

- If you find that you have unmixed yolk mixture at the bottom of the bowl, make a "well" in the piles of oopsie batter (just like making a well in mashed potatoes to hold gravy), and scoop the runny yolk mixture into them, so that it doesn't run all over.

- Bake at 300 F for 30 minutes.

What to expect:

- The oopsies will puff up as they're baking, before flattening out somewhat.

- These are not 1-1/2" high white flour hamburger buns! Mine always settle down to less than 1/2" high.

- It will take two oopsies to make a sandwich - one on the top and one on the bottom, because they're not thick enough to slice.

- If your oopsies are crumbly, check the recipe.
->The original Atkins Rev Roll only used 1 Tbsp of cream cheese per egg, resulting in a roll that was hard and crumbly when first baked (like a meringue), but when stored in an air tight container overnight, would soften.
->Cleo's Oopsies use 1 oz (2 Tbsp) cream cheese per egg. All that extra cream cheese means they're soft and pliable as soon as they come out of the oven.

- If you've checked the recipe and they're still crumbly when they come out of the oven, or if they don't appear to be done after 1/2 hour, your oven temperature may not be accurate.

- If you live in a dry climate, your oopsies will probably dry out enough to store them in a plastic bag within a few hours.

- If you live in a humid climate, they may become more moist the longer they sit out. What I do in this humid area is to bake them at a slightly higher temperature (just under 325F) to dry them out a bit more in the baking process. Then as soon as they're cooled, and are no longer moist feeling on the bottom, bag them and refrigerate.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #1851
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Marvin
Stats: WT=410/345/225?
WOE: Atkins induction, Bernstein
Start Date: Which time?
thanks for the troubleshooting post!

Thanks for posting that....not for the instructions (which are very detailed and helpful!) but to know that I need to use two of them for a sandwich. I pulled these out and said "there's no way I'm going to split that in two!"
Old 11-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #1852

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Thanks for posting that....not for the instructions (which are very detailed and helpful!) but to know that I need to use two of them for a sandwich. I pulled these out and said "there's no way I'm going to split that in two!"
for a po'boy sandwich i found some of those disposable loaf pans!! worked beautifully
Old 12-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #1853
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
Start Date: November 2009
I am one HAPPY woman! Yesterday I made oopsies for the first time and this morning made french toast with them. WOW! I am one HAPPY low carb eater!

Thanks so much for this recipe and all these ideas on how to use oopsies! This really IS revolutionary!
Old 12-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #1854

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcyDarcy View Post
I am one HAPPY woman! Yesterday I made oopsies for the first time and this morning made french toast with them. WOW! I am one HAPPY low carb eater!

Thanks so much for this recipe and all these ideas on how to use oopsies! This really IS revolutionary!
Old 12-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #1855
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
Start Date: November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by debkeversole View Post
Yea! Oopsies!
BTW, thanks for your response. High 5's all around.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #1856
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FarmSchooler
My daughter-in-love is getting me muffin-top pans for Christmas They are in the mail as I type. VERY egg-citing

Curious if anyone has any experience with truly (collected from straw lined nest boxes this morning) fresh eggs vs store bought eggs. I know I have to let them sit a couple of days before trying to hard boil them. And too, Im going to be trying them using our own cheese curds vs cream cheese or mayo.

Any homesteaders out there?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #1857
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
Muffin top pans are the best!!

I get my eggs from a lady who lives a few miles up the road from me and her hens run around in her yard and are totally truly free range (I guess the PC term would be pastured). They run up to my car when I get the eggs. Real pastured eggs are amazing, so different from their pale weird smelling caged counterparts.

Pastured eggs are harder to blend from what I've noticed (just have to put a little more muscle in it). I use them for all my baked applications and everything turns out great. I'm curious about your cheese curds, would you mind sharing your method/recipe?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #1858
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoniBGoode
Stats: 21 lbs gone forever!
WOE: Almost Atkins
Start Date: Aug. 21, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonixarising View Post

Thanks,
Don't let the longish recipe and the troubleshooting posts scare you. They are actually pretty easy to make -- basically stiff eggwhites with yummy additions. And they will change your low-carb life.

I bought myself two muffin-top pans for Christmas, at Home Goods today!!
Old 12-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #1859

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoniBGoode View Post
Don't let the longish recipe and the troubleshooting posts scare you. They are actually pretty easy to make -- basically stiff eggwhites with yummy additions. And they will change your low-carb life.

I bought myself two muffin-top pans for Christmas, at Home Goods today!!
GREAT gift! i love my pan!
Old 12-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #1860
something there

They are SO easy to make. Seriously. I think all the tips really have more to do with handling egg whites than anything else. Just set your Kitchenaide mixer and walk away.