Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 01:29 AM   #1771
Purgatory escapee

Gallery: DeltaSierra
Stats: Too much/Still too much/Perfect
WOE: Atkins
Oopsies are a slice of heaven. Having them makes Atkins 1000x easier. Tonight I had a meatloaf sandwich as a snack and oh-so-good! When I make a batch, I separate them with the kind of parchment paper used to separate hamburger patties. Keeps them from sticking together and I can put 6 in a large ziploc bag.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #1772
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ksbw10
Stats: 195/195/160
Start Date: 09/08/2008
So I can never get mine to get stiff ( I know sounds like a personel problem) so I ended up pouring the batch into a bread pan, and sliced them. It worked pretty good, so they were like bread slices. I cannot figure out why they will not stiffen up. I use the cream of tarter????????????
Old 09-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #1773
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbw10 View Post
So I can never get mine to get stiff ( I know sounds like a personel problem) so I ended up pouring the batch into a bread pan, and sliced them. It worked pretty good, so they were like bread slices. I cannot figure out why they will not stiffen up. I use the cream of tarter????????????
Snicker!! Thanks, that was funny...

The whites will not beat up stiff unless the bowl and beaters you are using are scrupulously clean and fat-free and you have to make sure that you don't get any of the yolk in with the whites. Beat, beat, beat some more - about 5 minutes.

I do the whites with my big Kitchenaid stand mixer, and the yolks with my handheld Kitchenaid. I get them both done at the same time that way and then very carefully fold a bit of the whites into the yolks, then a bit more, then pour the yolks over the rest of the whites and fold in gently. Some streaks are OK.

Looks like you have a good workaround though!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 09-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #1774
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
Quote:

Are you getting any of the yolk into the egg whites when you separate them? Break your eggs into a separate bowl, then separate the yolk (you can just scoop under it with your cupped and slightly spread fingers and let the white drain through your fingers). Put the yolk in a different mixing bowl, and pour the white into the large perfectly clean and grease free mixing bowl. Repeat for each egg - you don't want to risk contaminating a bunch of perfectly separated egg whites with a broken yolk!

Are you using an electric mixer? How long are you whipping the egg whites? Some people have tried using a blender to whip the egg whites - it doesn't work. They'll never get stiff enough using a blender. Unless you're really handy and experienced with a wire whisk, it could take *ages* to get the egg whites stiff without an electric mixer. I set my electric mixer on the highest speed, and it still takes about 5 minutes or more for them to get stiff enough to stay put when I turn the bowl upside down.

Do you have a 2nd set of clean beaters to use on the egg whites? Alternately, do you beat the egg whites first, before starting on the yolk and cream cheese mixture? You don't want to get any of the yolk and cream cheese into the egg whites while you're whipping the egg whites, so if you don't have a 2nd set of beaters, whip the egg whites first, then you can use the same beaters on the yolk/cream cheese mixture without having to clean them first.

Is your egg white mixing bowl perfectly clean and grease free? How about the beaters? Any grease, fats or oils on your equipment could prevent the egg whites from getting stiff. If you're not sure they're completely clean and grease free, wash them again in soapy water, and when you rinse them, check for that squeaky clean sound when you rub your fingers over them. Then dry the bowl and beaters with a clean cloth before using.

When you're ready to mix in the yolk and cream cheese mixture, make sure to fold it in by hand (don't be taken in by the "fold" setting on the mixer) with a spoon or flexible spatula, gently, so as not to deflate the whites.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #1775
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ksbw10
Stats: 195/195/160
Start Date: 09/08/2008
Wow thanks for all the advice. I did not know that everything has to be so sterile. And 5 minutes to beat them. So I will try again tonight. You guys rock. I am using hand beaters.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #1776
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I gotta ask - is KSBW a local station to you?

Cuz we have KSBW here which is OUR favorite local station!

Yeah, those buggers take longer than you THINK they will to really beat up - the whites should pretty much not move in the bowl when you're done - in fact you should be able to turn the bowl upside down and have 'em stay in place!
Old 09-17-2008, 05:42 AM   #1777
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
Quote:
Wow thanks for all the advice. I did not know that everything has to be so sterile. And 5 minutes to beat them. So I will try again tonight. You guys rock. I am using hand beaters.

Wow, if you're using hand beaters (I'm assuming you mean the hand crank, non-electric kind), it'll probably take way longer than 5 minutes. Just keep beating until you have them very, very stiff!

As Charski said, they should be so stiff that they don't move - not even when you turn the bowl upside down.

I wouldn't say everything has to be sterile, as such - but you definitely want to make sure there's no greasy residue on your bowl or beaters. If you're using a plastic mixing bowl, that's the most difficult kind to make sure it's grease-free. You can use a baking soda paste to scrub off any greasy residue though.

Last edited by Madam De Leon; 09-17-2008 at 05:44 AM..
Old 09-17-2008, 11:57 PM   #1778
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
I just stay away from plastic bowls altogether; plastic and an oily film are SO difficult to separate.

Clean beaters, clean metal or glass or ceramic bowl, yolk-free whites, cream of tartar...

Bingo.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:31 AM   #1779
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Is there any way to use this recipe in a bread machine???

Our oven has died-- , and it may be some time before we can replace our stove or fix the problem. I'd like to make oopsies-- but all I have is a toaster oven and a bread machine.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #1780
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
You could try 1 egg and 1 ounce of cream cheese and make 1 or 2 oopsies from that in your toaster oven to see if it would work (instead of trying a whole batch). I don't think this recipe would in a bread machine because it would beat down the egg whites too much. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #1781
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Definitely not a bread machine. A toaster oven is just a smaller oven, that should work fine. Cut the recipe down to size but all the directions are the same.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #1782
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
You could try 1 egg and 1 ounce of cream cheese and make 1 or 2 oopsies from that in your toaster oven to see if it would work (instead of trying a whole batch). I don't think this recipe would in a bread machine because it would beat down the egg whites too much. Good luck!

Hmmn. Okay-- definitely-- toaster oven, then-- two batches.

I miss my oven. Wahhh!
Old 09-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #1783
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl View Post
Definitely not a bread machine. A toaster oven is just a smaller oven, that should work fine. Cut the recipe down to size but all the directions are the same.

Will do.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #1784
Major LCF Poster!

My oven just stopped working last night! Not sure what happened, it's gas and the broiler still works. Guess I just made too many batches of oopsies! Sorry to hear about your oven woes, I feel your pain!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #1785
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
My oven just stopped working last night! Not sure what happened, it's gas and the broiler still works. Guess I just made too many batches of oopsies! Sorry to hear about your oven woes, I feel your pain!
I SWEAR it has to be something astrological! In the last two weeks-- the oven died, we lost power in the house, my computer crashed, the plumbing went out-- arrgh.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #1786
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katlj
Stats: 142/134/btw. 127-125 5'7"
Start Date: restart (again *sigh*): 8/4/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica L. Butler View Post
I SWEAR it has to be something astrological! In the last two weeks-- the oven died, we lost power in the house, my computer crashed, the plumbing went out-- arrgh.
Well, Mercury goes retrograde on the 24th and that started to have an effect in the past couple of days...might explain the computer?

I had some weirdness last week that had me wondering, "Good Grief! Is Mercury in retrograde or what???"

Mercury retrograde effects all aspects of communications: It can be the time when you can't get a cell-phone signal, you accidentally erase your answering machine before hearing your messages, the post office mis-routes your mail, your computer decides to take a powder...all that kind of fun stuff.

It's also a very poor time to make major decisions, enter into contracts or make major purchases.

I'm not an astrologer by the way. I've merely had a lot of reasons to read up on Mercury in Retrograde.

Now I'm going to get up and hug my oven...I'm loving so many of the new recipes I've tried from this board (especially your Oopsies, Cleo!) that I would be really verklempt without it!

Sending {{{WORKING OVEN}}} vibes to all of you without one!

Old 09-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #1787
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rockette79
Stats: 215/179/140
Start Date: 9/7/2009
I just re-started eating LC and I am sooo excited about oopsies!! I had a BLT the other day. It was fabulous!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #1788
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlj View Post
Well, Mercury goes retrograde on the 24th and that started to have an effect in the past couple of days...might explain the computer?

I had some weirdness last week that had me wondering, "Good Grief! Is Mercury in retrograde or what???"

Mercury retrograde effects all aspects of communications: It can be the time when you can't get a cell-phone signal, you accidentally erase your answering machine before hearing your messages, the post office mis-routes your mail, your computer decides to take a powder...all that kind of fun stuff.

It's also a very poor time to make major decisions, enter into contracts or make major purchases.

I'm not an astrologer by the way. I've merely had a lot of reasons to read up on Mercury in Retrograde.

Now I'm going to get up and hug my oven...I'm loving so many of the new recipes I've tried from this board (especially your Oopsies, Cleo!) that I would be really verklempt without it!

Sending {{{WORKING OVEN}}} vibes to all of you without one!

I hear that for the oopsies! I want my oven back!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #1789
Purgatory escapee

Oopsies are the bomb. I made a fried egg sandwich by toasting an oopsie, and topping it with a fried egg, a slice of fried ham, and a piece of melted American cheese. It was better than an egg McMuffin!!!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #1790
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Indigo-65
Stats: SW212 CW212 GW145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Everyday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neecy08 View Post
Oopsies are the bomb. I made a fried egg sandwich by toasting an oopsie, and topping it with a fried egg, a slice of fried ham, and a piece of melted American cheese. It was better than an egg McMuffin!!!!!
You are so right!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #1791
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: WenB
Stats: 311 (h)/247.8 (i)/241 (c)/20-24% Body Fat (g)
WOE: Lap Band - Atkins Modified for Candida - BMR
Start Date: Induction on 7/22/08; Surgery 12/06
I made oopsie danishes - YUM!

I added lemon extract and splenda to the yolks, then after folding together, I mixed some cream cheese, an egg yolk, raspberry davinicis and some xanthan gum and dolloped on each oopsie to be baked.

The cream cheese mixture bled through a bit, but they were AMAZINGLY delicious!
Old 09-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #1792
Purgatory escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WenB View Post

I added lemon extract and splenda to the yolks, then after folding together, I mixed some cream cheese, an egg yolk, raspberry davinicis and some xanthan gum and dolloped on each oopsie to be baked.

oh MY!!! I am going to have to try this!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #1793
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Indigo-65
Stats: SW212 CW212 GW145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Everyday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WenB View Post

I know this taste great. I will be trying this.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #1794
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BusyBeeMommy
Stats: 231/225/200 Goal Size: 12/13 Current Size: 20
WOE: Phase 2 Atkins
Start Date: 4/12/2013
I tried to make them.....they look like the picture but taste extremely eggy.

I don't think the cream cheese mixed well with the yolk. It was straight from the fridge and it clumped.

Didn't have cream of tartar, but I did have baking powder, but I don't think I whipped them long enough.

I'll try again another day.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #1795
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazlo0607
Stats: 160
WOE: low carb do to GI
Start Date: july 08
so is thier anything you can sub for the cream cheese. doing no dairy. really like these rolls though. any help please!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #1796
Major LCF Poster!

I'm going to give oopsies a try with homemade mayo tomorrow. I love these rolls too, but have also omitted dairy for a while. I'll post back on how they compare to the cream cheese oopsies (my favorite!).
Old 10-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #1797
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoniBGoode
Stats: 21 lbs gone forever!
WOE: Almost Atkins
Start Date: Aug. 21, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBeeMommy View Post
I tried to make them.....they look like the picture but taste extremely eggy.

I don't think the cream cheese mixed well with the yolk. It was straight from the fridge and it clumped.

Didn't have cream of tartar, but I did have baking powder, but I don't think I whipped them long enough.

I'll try again another day.
Cleo!!! These are soooo wonderful!

Busy Bee, my first batch was flat and tasted pretty eggy. (They actually made tasty pancakes, though.) I think they are eggier if they are not cooked sufficiently. (I already had the oven preheated to 350, so I cooked the first batch at that temp. They browned very quickly and I ended up only cooking them about 10 min. They really need to cook at 300 degrees 30 to 35 min, even if they are small.)

You definitely need the cream of tarter. For the second batch, I followed the "eggwhite impaired" directions and used room-termperature eggs. I put a dash of salt in the egg whites first, and used a narrow, deep ceramic (not plastic) bowl. Beat them to soft peaks, then add a rounded 1/8 tsp of cream of tarter. (It's more than you think.) Put the mixer on the highest speed, and just beat the heck out of those little puppies!!

You want the eggwhites at the stage that cookbooks call "glossy". When they are very stiff, turn the bowl upside down. If they fall out, they aren't done! (This is actually fun when it works, and I'm going to do it every time I make this recipe.) I beat my egg whites some more, even though they didn't fall out!

It's okay if there are some lumps in the cream cheese/yolk mixture. I used the method of folding about 1/4 of the whites into the yolks, then verrrrry gently folding that mixture into the remaining whites.

I used a lever-type ice cream scoop to drop them on the greased cookie sheet, because I wanted small ones. They were about 2.5" x 2.75" and at least 1.5 inches tall, even after baking. Even though they were small, I cooked them for 35 minutes. These were actually tall enough that I could have sliced them in half and melted butter in the middle if I wanted. (I got 6 small ones and 3 flatter large ones out of 3 eggs.)

Here's my tweak: I wanted a "biscuit-like" object, so I brushed the tops and bottoms with melted, unsalted butter after 20 minutes, and again when they finished baking. This made the crust softer, and made them taste more like biscuits.

When they first came out of the oven, I couldn't figure out if they tasted more like a very light biscuit, or a flaky croissant. Mostly because I was too busy sopping up the tiny bit of remaining melted butter with one, stuffing it in my mouth, and moaning in pleasure. They did not taste eggy at all!

They are light and flaky, not "crumbly" like the old-fashioned Revolution Rolls.

After sitting overnight, the texture is even more bread-like. The texture is much better than any "white" low carb bread I've ever had!! I am really looking forward to serving these with beef stew in the winter, and sopping up the gravy with them!! Yum-o!!

I went to MickeyD's this morning, and got a bacon, egg & cheese biscuit. Threw away their white thing, and sandwiched the middle between two of my little oopsies!! It was WONDERFUL! My longing for a few breadlike objects is gone!

Later this week I'm going to cook barbequed brisket, and make big, sloppy barbeque sandwiches on these, with pickles and a slice of onion. (I must be the only person on the planet who really doesn't mind eating her burgers with a knife & fork. But, as a former Texan, I really miss my barbeque beef sandwich on thick, fluffly buns!)

I will also say, although these are very good, they are also very filling, due to the eggs and cheese. So, overeating them is not a problem for me. When I made the first batch yesterday, I ate 3 of them right away. But, then I was too full for dinner last night, so it was not a big problem!

PS -- sorry if this is a repeat of an earlier post. I only had time to read the first 32 pages of this thread, so far!

Last edited by JoniBGoode; 10-06-2008 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: change is good
Old 10-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #1798
Major LCF Poster!

I made these with mayo (3 eggs and 3 oz mayo), not nearly as good as with cream cheese. They were really flaky on top yet oily and more eggy. Oh well, it was worth a try!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #1799
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoniBGoode
Stats: 21 lbs gone forever!
WOE: Almost Atkins
Start Date: Aug. 21, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
I'm having a problem with my Oopsie rolls - I can't seem to keep any extra because I just keep eating them!

I used them for rolls for a home-made version of a fast-food fish sandwich (leftover parmesean crusted haddock, nuked + mayo and dill relish on 2 Oopsies...good stuff.) Then I heated 2 more in the toaster oven and topped them with melted coconut oil and s.f. caramel syrup...voila, dessert. At dinner, I had 2 as 'dinner rolls.' I just can't keep these things around! Next time, I'm making a triple batch!

Oh! This last batch I made had a 'sourdough' flavor because I used homemade yogurt cheese instead of cream cheese. The texture was perfect and the bit of sourdough taste was very nice.

As far as any egg white issues - My KitchenAid stand mixer with whisk attachment whips those egg whites until stiff in no time. They almost turn into a ball, then I know they're ready.

Adream, that fish sandwich sounds sooo good!!

As good as Cleo's Magic Buns are fresh out of the oven, they are sooo much better after a day or so. But, that is a very hard theory to prove!

Okay, Oopsies are causing me mental health issues, too. I have lackaoopsie-phobia: the irrational fear of running out of oopsies at some vague, undefined point in the future.

I made my first (flatish) batch yesterday afternoon and inhaled three: one with garlic butter and Italian cheese, one with butter, one with SF pancake syrup. All unbelieveable!! So I immediately made another batch, which came out nice and fluffy!! That batch made 6 little ones and 3 larger ones from 3 eggs. I ate two of the little ones (dinner roll or biscuit sized) this morning.

Now, I can't shake the feeling that I should make more oopsies. It's after dinner, I'm not hungry, but I think...what if, at some point in the near future, I want an oopsie and none is available?? What will I do??

Mind you, I bought tons of cream cheese and eggs today, so there isn't any real danger, but I can't shake the feeling that I need to be in the kitchen baking oopsies!! Just in case! You never know when you might have the type of emergency that requires a few dozen oopsies!!

Does anybody else have this problem? If so, is there a recovery program, or is professional intervention necessary?

Last edited by JoniBGoode; 10-06-2008 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: change is good
Old 10-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #1800
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, I too had that same fear - I ended up making a batch a day because they were so "breadier" the next day. I ended up cutting dairy out of my diet for a while, and that's pretty much cured my oopsie addiction, but I miss them terribly.