Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #1741
Lounge Chef & Typo Queen!!

Gallery: SnowWhite
Stats: 450/ Ugh/185
Start Date: 5/26/03 * WLS 1/15/04
lucki! My mouth is watering!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #1742
Lounge Chef & Typo Queen!!

Gallery: SnowWhite
Stats: 450/ Ugh/185
Start Date: 5/26/03 * WLS 1/15/04
Thanks cleo! Yeah, I didn't put enough cream cheese - mine tasted too egg-y. I'll have to try again
Old 08-20-2008, 05:16 AM   #1743
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
I oopsied my Oopsies...

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]...but they came out perfect anyway! WHEW!!:blush: I was reading the recipe as I was making it, and added the salt to the egg whites- yikes Just went ahead and made them- the whites stiffened great, and the taste in the end is the same. Yahoo- no wasted ingredients.[/COLOR]

Last edited by pepperette; 08-20-2008 at 05:17 AM..
Old 08-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #1744
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I live in the Seattle area and my oopsies are always eggy or spongy the first two days after I make them (it's always raining here and damp). I leave them in my toaster oven with the door cracked for 2 days (otherwise my cats will eat them - yes they love oopsies too!) and something magical happens. :-) By the end of the second day the oopsies dry out and are very bready - like brioche bread. SO GOOD! At that point I pop them in the fridge in an open zip lock bag (they never stick to each other once they dry out). I usually end up making a batch when I'm running low on the dried out oopsies because it takes 2 days for the texture to change (in Seattle anyway). That reminds me, I need to make another batch! :-)
Old 08-31-2008, 10:59 AM   #1745
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: janeybravo
Stats: 220/196.5/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 07/05/2008
I've tried to make oopsies twice. The first time they came out really flat. Also, I forgot to spray my sheet with a nonstick spray.

I'm cooking my second batch today and they are still pretty flat (although not as flat as the ones above. They just came out of the oven.

I must not be doing something right. Help.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #1746
Major LCF Poster!

I'm not Cleo, but I've made these a bunch of times and I also had flat ones when I first tried them. I always use parchment paper on the bottom of my cookie sheet because they won't stick to the parchment at all (plus I don't like oily buns). The other thing I do is add about an 1/8 teaspoon or less of xanathan gum to the egg whites when they just start to form peaks. I've never had flat oopsies with the addition of a little xanathan gum (a little goes a long way!), the whites literally won't break down (that's what causes them to become flat). I use two oopsies for one sandwich. Hope that helps! :-)
Old 08-31-2008, 11:51 AM   #1747
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AlliCat
Stats: 226/220/120
Start Date: February '08
I agree. I also use Xanthan Gum in addition to protein powder with mine. I do have to say though, even flat oopsies are good. Think tacos, hot dog buns, etc... Also, the humidity outside really determines how high my oopsies are.

I was thinking about adding a little almond flour to my batter. Has anyone tried this?

Last edited by AlliCat; 08-31-2008 at 11:53 AM..
Old 08-31-2008, 12:14 PM   #1748
Junior LCF Member

I really like them, even flat. But they are very fragile. My first batch was gone in 1 day. I just spread peanut butter on one half and then folded it over. Very yummy. I can't imagine using them for hot dog buns because of the fragility. I'm definitely going to try the Xanthan Gum. Would not/Starch be a good substitute? I think Xanthan and Guar Gum is what not/Starch is made of.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:19 PM   #1749
Junior LCF Member

The protein powder may help with the fragility. Mine are very sturdy. You could try the not/Starch. I have some, but have never used it in the oopsies. Let us know if you do.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:23 PM   #1750
Major LCF Poster!

I haven't tried not/Starch, but I'm pretty sure it would work just fine (it's just a combo of different gums I think). When I add the xanathan gum, they aren't fragile at all, and the edges don't turn out crumbly. I usually let them "dry out" for a day or two and that also helps them firm up. I had an oopsie McMuffin this morning for breakfast, talk about YUM! :-) I'll have to try the almond flour, haven't done that yet but will for my next batch!
Old 08-31-2008, 12:45 PM   #1751
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
I'm not Cleo, but I've made these a bunch of times and I also had flat ones when I first tried them. I always use parchment paper on the bottom of my cookie sheet because they won't stick to the parchment at all (plus I don't like oily buns). The other thing I do is add about an 1/8 teaspoon or less of xanathan gum to the egg whites when they just start to form peaks. I've never had flat oopsies with the addition of a little xanathan gum (a little goes a long way!), the whites literally won't break down (that's what causes them to become flat). I use two oopsies for one sandwich. Hope that helps! :-)
Do you keep whipping the egg whites even after you add the xanthan gum?
Old 08-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #1752
Junior LCF Member

Also, can someone explain why the cream cheese can't be softened? Trying to mix cold cream cheese isn't easy.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #1753
Junior LCF Member

I don't know exactly how BikerAng does it, but I will add the xanthan gum just after the egg whites get frothy and then beat them until they are super stiff. Regarding your cream cheese question, it is my understanding that it really doesn't matter if it's softened or not. If you like the chunks of cream cheese in your oopsies then keep it cold. If you'd rather have it more consistent in the oopsie, then soften it. Personally, I am probably the only person on the face of the earth that can't stand cream cheese so I use ricotta . HTH (and hope that I haven't stepped on any toes by answering a question directed to somebody else).
"I do not understand everything about Christ and Christianity. I also do not understand everything about electricity, but I do not intend to sit in the dark until I do."[/COLOR]
Old 08-31-2008, 07:52 PM   #1754
Junior LCF Member

I think I've figured out a way that works for me. I whipped the egg whites in my KitchenAid mixer. I whipped it for a while on medium then, when that wasn't giving me the results I wanted, I set that sucker on 10 and whipped the heck out of those egg whites. I actually think I whipped them too much but I don't care because I finally have oopsies in the oven that look like they are going to come out right.

Last edited by janeybravo; 08-31-2008 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-31-2008, 07:56 PM   #1755
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeybravo View Post
I think I've figured out a way that works for me. I whipped the egg whites in my KitchenAid mixer. I whipped it for a while on medium but when that wasn't giving me the results I wanted, I set that sucker on 10 and whipped the heck out of those egg whites. I actually think I whipped them too much but I don't care because I finally have oopsies in the oven that look like they are going to come out right.
Looking forward to the pictures .
Old 08-31-2008, 08:31 PM   #1756
Junior LCF Member

Behold, the oopsie.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #1757
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Behold, the oopsie.
Ooooh, looks yummy! Good job !
Old 08-31-2008, 08:55 PM   #1758
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katlj
Stats: 142/134/btw. 127-125 5'7"
Start Date: restart (again *sigh*): 8/4/09
Janeybravo - Peeeeeerrrrrty!

I made a a double batch last week and tried something I thought I'd share: I was watching Alton Brown last week and he said the correct proportion of Cream of Tartar to egg whites was 1/8 tsp. per egg white. So I made a batch with 6 egg whites and 6/8 (or 3/4) tsp. of Cream of Tartar. As always, I whipped the h--- out of the egg whites, but this time they became much stiffer and held up MUCH better, as did the rolls themselves!

So, for the original recipe using 3 eggs, you would use 3/8 tsp. Cream of Tartar instead of 1/8.

Of course, it could be that the planets were aligned correctly, or I'd been a really good girl that day to have things turn out so well...
Old 08-31-2008, 09:22 PM   #1759
Major LCF Poster!

I use both cream of tartar in the very beginning (add it to the whites when I put them in the kitchen aid about 1/8 - 1/4 tsp for 3 eggs) then when they get frothy soft-ish peaks I sprinkle in the xanathan gum (about 1/8 tsp). Then beat the living h*ll out of 'em! :-) Your oopsies look perfect Janeybravo!

Katlj - did you notice any funky taste with using that quantity of COT? I read somewhere in this huge thread that someone could taste a "off flavor" when they used a larger amount of COT, but I think they used a whole teaspoon for 3 eggs. I'll have to try the proportions you listed above for my next batch! :-) Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by BikerAng; 08-31-2008 at 09:26 PM..
Old 08-31-2008, 10:25 PM   #1760
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: katlj
Stats: 142/134/btw. 127-125 5'7"
Start Date: restart (again *sigh*): 8/4/09
Quote:
I use both cream of tartar in the very beginning (add it to the whites when I put them in the kitchen aid about 1/8 - 1/4 tsp for 3 eggs) then when they get frothy soft-ish peaks I sprinkle in the xanathan gum (about 1/8 tsp). Then beat the living h*ll out of 'em! :-) Your oopsies look perfect Janeybravo!

Katlj - did you notice any funky taste with using that quantity of COT? I read somewhere in this huge thread that someone could taste a "off flavor" when they used a larger amount of COT, but I think they used a whole teaspoon for 3 eggs. I'll have to try the proportions you listed above for my next batch! :-) Thanks for the tip!
Hmmm....no. No off taste. Post back and let me know if it makes a difference.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:21 PM   #1761
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skeeweeaka
Stats: 235/215/135
WOE: Low Carb! Alternate Day!
Start Date: March 2008! January '09 Restart!
Quote:
Behold, the oopsie.

Beautiful, that's how mine come out too.... They are so pretty....

TJ
Old 09-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #1762
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I'll have to try the almond flour, haven't done that yet but will for my next batch!

I'd love to hear about the results when you try it.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #1763
Junior LCF Member

I am watching Alton Brown's Good Eats episode "Honey I Shrunk The Cake". If you can catch it now or when it re-airs later this evening I strongly recommend it. He talks about separating egg whites (no longer believes they have to be warm), cream of tartar, and how to fold in egg whites.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #1764
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliCat View Post
I am watching Alton Brown's Good Eats episode "Honey I Shrunk The Cake". If you can catch it now or when it re-airs later this evening I strongly recommend it. He talks about separating egg whites (no longer believes they have to be warm), cream of tartar, and how to fold in egg whites.
Alton.... btw... so far it makes no difference if my eggs are cold or warm, I tried the 1/8 tsp cream of tarter per egg. I use 8 eggs and 8 oz cream cheese. My whites were stiffer with only a healthy pinch. I put in a large spoon of whites to the yoke batter, mix, add another large spoon of whites, stir and then the rest of the eggs are stirred/folded in. I use a very large kitchen spoon for the fold/stirring.

I hope I can catch Alton. How does he do the fold?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #1765
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna... View Post
Alton.... btw... so far it makes no difference if my eggs are cold or warm, I tried the 1/8 tsp cream of tarter per egg. I use 8 eggs and 8 oz cream cheese. My whites were stiffer with only a healthy pinch. I put in a large spoon of whites to the yoke batter, mix, add another large spoon of whites, stir and then the rest of the eggs are stirred/folded in. I use a very large kitchen spoon for the fold/stirring.

I hope I can catch Alton. How does he do the fold?
I am very worried about increasing the amount of COT since people have reported a funky taste if they use too much. As far as how he folds...he divides the batch into 3's. He pretty much stirs in the first batch, then does the typical folding method by carefully folding the 2nd and 3rd batches...3rd batch he's much more careful with. He did mention that seeing streaks in the final product was just fine.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #1766
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliCat View Post
I am very worried about increasing the amount of COT since people have reported a funky taste if they use too much. As far as how he folds...he divides the batch into 3's. He pretty much stirs in the first batch, then does the typical folding method by carefully folding the 2nd and 3rd batches...3rd batch he's much more careful with. He did mention that seeing streaks in the final product was just fine.
Thanks! I probably fold mine in a tad more than Alton.

COT... yep using the 1 teaspoon for 8 eggs did give mine a slightly funky sourer taste not uneatable though. Next time I'm back to a healthy pinch.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #1767
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna... View Post

COT... yep using the 1 teaspoon for 8 eggs did give mine a slightly funky sourer taste not uneatable though. Next time I'm back to a healthy pinch.
I have to wonder if the funky taste is masked when adding flour. I think I'll stick with my 1/8th tsp for 6 eggs. Maybe one day I'll become adventurous and try adding more. Right now I'm trying to get courageous enough to experiment with almond flour .
Old 09-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #1768
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
I use 6 eggs & 6 oz cream cheese (or Ricotta or ricotta & sour cream), and I use 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar. No funky aftertaste from the COT.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:10 AM   #1769
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Josuanna
Stats: 180/150/140
Start Date: May 2006
Funky aftertaste...

My mother wanted to start making oopsies and I gave all my cream of tartar to her and forgot to order another. So I uses a little Vitamin C - and THAT had a funky aftertaste!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #1770
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
I just give the inside of the bowl (very clean, stainless steel) a swipe with a bit of lemon juice; adds JUST enough acidity...