Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #1531
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Hey, Charski! You've inspired me. I need to make some more. I can totally TELL that I am about to eat off-plan when I don't have the legal foods in my house for convenience.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #1532
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
Hey, Charski! You've inspired me. I need to make some more. I can totally TELL that I am about to eat off-plan when I don't have the legal foods in my house for convenience.
Semper Paratis! (I think that's right...) ALWAYS READY!

I love having all kinds of good "on plan" food available.

Having Oopsies is GREAT! I was successful making these the first time out - unlike my Revolution Rolls disaster! LOL!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #1533
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Adream
Stats: 158/150/135
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: April 10, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pinkladies View Post
I cannot make these. I don't know how to separate the eggs. I have been trying all morning & I am wasting eggs! Do you use an egg separater or something? I am not a very good cook.
3pinkladies, you just need to discover your 'inner cook.'

As demonstrated in other posts - separating the egg using a little bowl and your fingers is the absolute easiest way to do it. If I have lots of eggs to separate, I'll do it this way. Here's a picture to easily illustrate:

Practice - you can do it! The luscious deliciousness of Oopsies will soon be yours!
Old 05-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #1534
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpgc View Post
So I made Guac Cheeseburgers the other night and used Cleo's Oopsie Roll recipe. Yes, I DID scroll through 50+ pages. Here are some pics and some hints of my successful attempt:

1) I separated the egg whites and yolks with the "finger" method

2) I used my trusty Kitchen Aid to whip the whites. Chilled the bowl and beater in the fridge for about 20 minutes, while the eggs sat out. Whipped them on "10" for 2 minutes. Added the pinch of Cream of Tartar and whipped for another 1 1 /2 minute till stiff!

3) Beat the yolks with savory blend: little pinch of seasoned salt, Splenda, onion powder, 3 oz Cream Cheese, 1 heaping tsp of Almond Flour and 1 heaping tsp of Flax Meal. Beat for about 90 seconds.

4) Folded two scoops of stiffy whites into the yolk, mixed well until the yolks were fluffy and light.

5) Dumped out the yolk mixture into the stiffies, folding for about 20 seconds with rubber spatula.

6) Scooped out on Parchment Paper to make 4 large buns and cooked at 300, about 30 minutes.

7) Let cool for a minute or two and served the Guac Cheese burgers with a small salad.

8) OMG...yumm! When partner got home, he chowed down DUDE!!! Check out the pics. And he even had a huge sloppy tomatoe (ick) on his! But it held up!

You're a life-saver Cleo! Can't wait to try the rolls with Gyros! Thank you!!
FABULOUS job, Dude!

One small persnicketing point, there's no need or use of chilling the bowl and beaters while having the eggs warm up out on the counter. Kind of contradictory, no?

The whole chilling thing is for whipping high fat cream, not zero-fat whites.

Have you made a whipped cream mousse yet? You'll have a blast with that...
Old 05-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #1535
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
So I made Guac Cheeseburgers the other night and used Cleo's Oopsie Roll recipe. Yes, I DID scroll through 50+ pages. Here are some pics and some hints of my successful attempt:

1) I separated the egg whites and yolks with the "finger" method

2) I used my trusty Kitchen Aid to whip the whites. Chilled the bowl and beater in the fridge for about 20 minutes, while the eggs sat out. Whipped them on "10" for 2 minutes. Added the pinch of Cream of Tartar and whipped for another 1 1 /2 minute till stiff!

3) Beat the yolks with savory blend: little pinch of seasoned salt, Splenda, onion powder, 3 oz Cream Cheese, 1 heaping tsp of Almond Flour and 1 heaping tsp of Flax Meal. Beat for about 90 seconds.

4) Folded two scoops of stiffy whites into the yolk, mixed well until the yolks were fluffy and light.

5) Dumped out the yolk mixture into the stiffies, folding for about 20 seconds with rubber spatula.

6) Scooped out on Parchment Paper to make 4 large buns and cooked at 300, about 30 minutes.

7) Let cool for a minute or two and served the Guac Cheese burgers with a small salad.

8) OMG...yumm! When partner got home, he chowed down DUDE!!! Check out the pics. And he even had a huge sloppy tomatoe (ick) on his! But it held up!

You're a life-saver Cleo! Can't wait to try the rolls with Gyros! Thank you!!
Nice presentation here Gary! Love the pictures.

You answered a question for me - I wondered if they could be made sturdy enough for a sloppy joe, so thanks for that! I'll add the teaspoon of almond flour. I just found it today at a store I don't usually go to - $12.99 for one pound!! Does that sound right? What do others pay?
Old 05-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #1536
Gadget Gal

Quote:

4) Folded two scoops of [COLOR="Red"]stiffy [/COLOR]whites into the yolk, mixed well until the yolks were fluffy and light.

5) Dumped out the yolk mixture into the [COLOR="Red"]stiffies[/COLOR], folding for about 20 seconds with rubber spatula.
I am still over this! Thanks for the giggles!

Last time I got almond flour at TJ's it was about $4.99 for the pound, as I recall. Haven't bought any there lately because I've been buying the blanched stuff from Honeyville Grains instead (online) - I love that stuff.

I use a scoop of plain whey protein powder, plus the wheat bran and flax meal.

Gary, now you gotta get some muffin top pans - I think that is THE ticket for the Oopsies - uniformity in size and all!

Your partner looks like he is thoroughly enjoying the fruits of your labors!

And if ya REALLY want to put that KitchenAid to work - get the meat grinder attachment and grind your own beef, with as much fat in it as you like! We won't buy preground beef any more!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 05-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #1537
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Man, can't wait to get a meat grinder!! Ground Turkey, Pork, BEEF! Oh yeah...
You made me laugh - must be a guy thing. My husband will gladly eat chicken, turkey, fish...but when I tell him I'm making beef - it's "OH YEAH! BRING IT ON!"

I'll check out Trader Joe's, Gary. The nearest one is 1-1/2 hours away, and believe it or not, I'll drive there a few times a year. It's worth it to me. The Whole Foods is in that same area so I make my trip very worthwhile. $8.99 is so much better than $12.99 - thanks for the tip!
Old 05-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #1538
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Another Fine Batch Of CleoRolls

Here's my most recent batch of CleoRolls aren't they lovely?

Last edited by jenna...; 05-09-2008 at 07:21 PM..
Old 05-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #1539
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Charski, I didn't know about the meat grinder adapter...mine came with three others (hook, paddle and whip...oh my), so I'll check for one this weekend, EXCELLENT idea, thanks! Jake posted a "What can I do with a Kitchen Aid", hopefully you'll see that. I'm all for being a meat grinder! : )

Muffin top pans...would they be large enough? Not implying I have to have a Nations Quarter-Pounder size bun, but I was thinking that the mt pans were smaller, like about 3.5 inches? I am all for uniformity, don't ya know.

LOL! I better not even address some of this response...

Check eBay for the attachments. I got mine "refurbished" for a good price. It was a meat grinder/pasta maker - you can put the pasta extruding attachments on the base tube if you're into that sort of thing!

I've found what works best for me is to use the coarse grinding die first, then the fine one, and grind the meat twice. (Don't go there Gary.) I'll grind most any kind too - from brisket to sirloin to chuck to eye of the round. It's ALL good once it's ground up! Just depends what's on sale or looks good at Costco!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #1540
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
...sailing in on this discussion late, I adore the KitchenAid, too. Other than my CutCo knives, it's the thing I'd HAVE to take with me if the house caught fire!

Well, maybe not, but I do love the thing. I have a bunch of accessories, from spare bowls, paddles and whips (hey, I really dislike scrubbing down the whip to move on to the next part of any recipe) to pasta making attachments, etc. All sourced over time and with a bit of care on eBay. Unbelievable pricing in the parts catalogue, don't even go there...much more fun on eBay, too.

I'll see if I can dig out a recipe or two for you to try, in the whipped cream mousse category...traditional/classic or simple 3-ingredient?

Old 05-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #1541
something there

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have nixed use of Splenda in the oopsie recipe. It is an unnecessary chemical additive which caused allergic reactions in a certain number of users. It is not necessary to add Splenda, and I am changing recipes to reflect this.

As a result, if you give the recipe to friends from here forward and don't mind, please remove Splenda from the ingredients list.

Thanks so much for your help in feeding America (and the world) more healthfully!
Old 05-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #1542
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
Cleo - I"ve always used stevia in my oopsies.

The brand I've been using is KAL pure stevia extract powder, which comes in a little spice jar sized container, with an itsy bitsy spoon/scoop, which is supposed to be a "serving". How much it equals in sweetening power, I really don't know, but I would imagine it's supposed to be the equivalent of a packet of sweetener or 2 tsp sugar. There's no fillers in it

The only time I notice the bitterness that people talk about when using stevia is if I use too much of it - which is quite easy to do, since it takes such a tiny bit of it. I find it's better to go a little light on how much you use and need to add more, than use a bit too much and end up with it bitter.

Anyhow, just thought I'd throw that out for you, since I see you're trying to convert recipes over to stevia.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #1543
something there

Thank you, Madam! I am going to play with the stevia and start with the weaker concentrations, as you've suggested and see what happens. The consistency of the product stevia is so tempting, but here I am, paranoid of even that process.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #1544
something there

<---Red Robin Bacon Guacamole cheeseburger, fully loaded on an oopsie roll! They brought me fries even though I asked for a side of steamed veg. I tossed the fries.

The oopsie rolls were hefty and held that burger beautifully. It was an awesome burger!
Old 05-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #1545
Major LCF Poster!

I'm a Stevia Oopsie user too! I replace packet for packet. Except this last time I used two teennie scoops for my double batch.

Ummmm Ummm... Cleo that looks good enough to eat!

Last edited by jenna...; 05-10-2008 at 08:33 PM..
Old 05-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #1546
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Charski, I didn't know about the meat grinder adapter...mine came with three others (hook, paddle and whip...oh my), so I'll check for one this weekend, EXCELLENT idea, thanks! Jake posted a "What can I do with a Kitchen Aid", hopefully you'll see that. I'm all for being a meat grinder! : )

Muffin top pans...would they be large enough? Not implying I have to have a Nations Quarter-Pounder size bun, but I was thinking that the mt pans were smaller, like about 3.5 inches? I am all for uniformity, don't ya know.

The muffin top pans make a regular size burger...not a man-sized burger in my humble opinion.
But ya could buy the small size wilton round cake pans...and make the good-sized burger. Just a thought.

Great pics and info too, Gary.

Last edited by Nigel; 05-11-2008 at 02:11 PM..
Old 05-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #1547
something there

If you want a large bun, I used a mini Wilton cake pan as opposed to a muffin top pan. (Those are the ones that went to Red Robin).
Old 05-12-2008, 08:22 AM   #1548
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam De Leon View Post
Cleo - I"ve always used stevia in my oopsies.

The brand I've been using is KAL pure stevia extract powder, which comes in a little spice jar sized container, with an itsy bitsy spoon/scoop, which is supposed to be a "serving". How much it equals in sweetening power, I really don't know, but I would imagine it's supposed to be the equivalent of a packet of sweetener or 2 tsp sugar. There's no fillers in it.
Don't you love that itty-bitty scoop? When I make my morning coffee, I add one scoop of Stevia to the coffee grounds. That sweetens the entire (6-cup) pot of coffee!

Any recipe I've made that I've printed out, or read in my South Beach book automatically gets Stevia substituted for any other sweetener listed.

By the way - it is ABSOLUTELY true that Stevia tastes funky when too much is used. I made the microwave chocolate almond flour cake the other night and accidently used 1/2 teaspoon Stevia (should have been 1/4 tsp.) - WHOA was that funky! I ate 1/4 of the cake then threw the rest out.

Oopsies with a tiny bit of Stevia are delicious!
Old 05-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #1549
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: s1mon3
Stats: 220/168/145
WOE: Clean Eating/Cal & Carb Cycling
Start Date: July 2013
Afternoon All,

I just wanted to add that I made my oopsie's with pancake rings that I got from Bed Bath and Beyond and they turned out wonderfully! I had been meaning to order or buy the muffin top pans but I kept forgetting. I remember I had the pancake rings, I tried them and the result, A Perfect circle!
Old 05-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #1550
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerikay
WOE: Low GI
Start Date: Jan. 2007
I found some mini Wilton cake pans yesterday! Makin some oopsies tonight with my new standing mixer!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:08 AM   #1551
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Panda120
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May, 2000
Quote:
If you want a large bun, I used a mini Wilton cake pan as opposed to a muffin top pan. (Those are the ones that went to Red Robin).
My muffin top pan and mini Wilton cake pans make the same diameter muffins--4 Inch--although the finish product pulls away from the sides so is a little smaller than 4 inches across. It's just that the mini Wiltons can make a thicker bun because of the higher sided.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #1552
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
So weird, my mini Wilton's make an english muffin sized bun and the muffin top pan makes a large hamburger bun.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #1553
something there

jenna-- The Wilton's are 4.25" across. The muffin toppers were making 3.75". Maybe you have a bigger sized pan?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #1554
Sweet and Spicy Tart

Quote:
jenna-- The Wilton's are 4.25" across. The muffin toppers were making 3.75". Maybe you have a bigger sized pan?
[COLOR="Magenta"]The Wiltons pans at the top, measure 4 1/4" across and 3 1/4", at the bottom inside edge to edge, which is the size your Oppsie will be.... It's 4 1/2" from outside rim to outside rim...

My muffin top measures 3 1/2 at the bottom, and 4", from edge to edge on the top..

So yes, the Wilton are a tad smaller than the muffin top pans.. But basically the same size, with the muffin top being the bigger of the 2, by a small margin... Just a different look and end result, depending on which pan you use...

I didn't fill the cake pan full, so no way would they have been even the 4 1/4".. Then it would be way to thick for me...

I don't have any, but the mini Wilton spring form might be a little bigger? Not much tho...

I used the cake pan until I found the muffin top pans.. On my cake pans, they came up more on the sides and not so much in the middle, like a regular bun... I didn't care for that so much...[/COLOR]

Cinderella~~~~Proof that shoes really CAN change your life!...

Last edited by RockyMtnAngelEyes; 05-13-2008 at 05:16 PM..
Old 05-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #1555
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jen_1971
Stats: 04/08 250lbs - 08/09 206lbs - 11/10 221lbs
WOE: Atkins/Low Carb WOE
Start Date: 04/14/08 - restarting Jan 2012
Quote:
Do you have a Trader Joes in your area? I think their almond flour is cheaper, maybe $8.99 a pound? Charski would know!
I buy regular almonds and use my small coffee grinder to do my own. Is even cheaper ($4.00 /lb about??) and i can make it fresh. i freeze it after grinding or just keep my almonds in freezer till ready to grind.

i haven't tried adding any to my oopsies yet, i need to! my first batch was fine, my second batch was a DISASTER!! so i'm ready to try again!! they made great shortcakes too w/some homemade whipped cream! YUM!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #1556
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
I made the oopsies in a silicone mini cake pan last night for burgers. There were 4 mini pans shaped like a basketball, baseball, soccer ball and football. the rolls were very high and able to be cut in half for burgers--perfect. I did adjust the recipe a tad by adding in about 4 Tablespoons of almond flour--perfect. I used 4 eggs, 4 oz.cream cheese, a pinch of salt and cream of tartar. They also didn't stick AT ALL to the silicone. I baked them for 45 minutes at 300.(I bought this type of pan because it was on clearance at Target for only $4 and the mini cake pans were $5.99--lol, I'm so glad I got it)
Old 05-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #1557
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvlowcarb
Stats: 205/145/130 newJan/11 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Ist Goal Apr/05=155
The pans sound so cute. Pictures please? I usually just use 2 oppsies for burgers but would love to have a rounded bun.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #1558
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wilton has a 6" round x 2" deep pan that will definitely make ya a big burger bun.

Ask me how I know? ROFL
Old 05-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #1559
Sweet and Spicy Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Wilton has a 6" round x 2" deep pan that will definitely make ya a big burger bun.

Ask me how I know? ROFL
[COLOR="Magenta"]You googeled, right?

Where did you get them and can you post a pic?[/COLOR]
Old 05-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #1560
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnAngelEyes View Post
[COLOR=magenta]You googeled, right? [/COLOR]

[COLOR=magenta]Where did you get them and can you post a pic?[/COLOR]
I got 'em on Ebay. If you go to Ebay and put in 6" round wilton pan, you will find several of them listed.
We don't have anything but Walmart and a grocery store here, so most of my shopping for pans is done online. I'd imagine you can get them on Amazon also.

Last edited by Nigel; 05-14-2008 at 06:42 PM..