Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #1501
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Thanks for the kind words, Mallory. The picture is me, about 35 pounds lighter, but it is only a couple years old, so I use it as a motivating factor. I'm ready to hit my first 100-pound goal.

I understand fully what you mean about portions. I am a girl who can overeat things, and it takes will power some days for me not to eat when not hungry. I try to taste and then walk away, or not at all. But it can be tough. I know I didn't get to be a chubbo by looking at things that appeared tasty. Now I'm having to even relose weight I lost 2 years ago! Oy!

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2008, 07:46 AM   #1502
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
I hope this helps.

Gluten-Free Waffles

6 eggs, separated
6 ounces of cream cheese
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1 scoop vanilla protein powder

Preheat waffle iron. Spray with non-stick coating (or oil the plates with a pastry brush prior to heating).

In one bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. In a separate bowl, mix yolks with cream cheese and protein powder. Add whites mixture to the yolks. With a long wooden spoon or iced tea spoon, carefully make a sine wave through the mixtures to blend them carefully.

Once the waffle iron is sufficiently heated, pour scant quarter-cup measuring cups with batter. Allow waffles to cook sufficiently! You want 4-6 minutes for the first waffles, minimally, since they seem to need more time. DO NOT OPEN the waffle iron until the first waffles have had a chance to cook. It seems that after the first waffles, all others require closer to 4 minutes per.

Serve immediately, or you can freeze and toast later (on a low setting).

Makes 12-14 belgian/rectangular waffles.

Nutritional information per 2 waffles (1/6 of recipe):

Calories: 192
Carbohydrates (no fiber): 1.8 grams
Protein: 6 grams
Fat: 7.5 grams

Thank You!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #1503
something there

You're welcome! I feel so badly for not giving that out sooner. I am so easily side-tracked and then assume because I post something to my blog that people know where it is...and duh on me. I get into more trouble making assumptions...
Old 04-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #1504
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Don't feel bad! I'm just being lazy...I could have found it if I searched thru this post or duh! checked your blog--which is awesome by the way Creative writing was never my thing, so I totally envy that skill in others.

One more question (then I'll leave you alone) Do you suggest adding the tartar at the start of the beating or wait until soft peaks form then add? Does it make a difference? I also have that thick n'thin not sugar (I might even have cakeability) stuff should I add that as well?
Old 05-03-2008, 07:20 AM   #1505
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 3pinkladies
Stats: 208/194/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2008
I cannot make these. I don't know how to separate the eggs. I have been trying all morning & I am wasting eggs! Do you use an egg separater or something? I am not a very good cook.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #1506
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post

One more question (then I'll leave you alone) Do you suggest adding the tartar at the start of the beating or wait until soft peaks form then add? Does it make a difference? I also have that thick n'thin not sugar (I might even have cakeability) stuff should I add that as well?
Add it at the “frothy” stage. It takes 30 seconds to 1 minutes to reach this point. You can add cream of tartar then.

Oopsies are fine without the gums, but I think the do add stability that I like and I use them. I use a generous pinch of xanthan gum, so you could use a pinch or so of your not sugar or cakeability and that should work fine.
Enjoy!
Old 05-03-2008, 07:34 AM   #1507
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pinkladies View Post
I cannot make these. I don't know how to separate the eggs. I have been trying all morning & I am wasting eggs! Do you use an egg separater or something? I am not a very good cook.

It just takes practice, no worries. Take a look at this. It is an easy method for people who have trouble.

Here is the more typical way, although he also uses the hand method.

You can do it!
Old 05-03-2008, 07:35 AM   #1508
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pinkladies View Post

If you don't have an egg separator, and can't make the yolk stay in half the shell while you pour off the white, here's one way to do it:

Crack your egg into a small bowl. If you break the yolk doing this, save that egg for tomorrow morning's scrambled eggs, or a mock danish, or a 3 minute chocolate cake, start with a clean bowl, and try again.

When you have the egg successfully cracked into the bowl, very gently scoop your fingers under the yolk (be careful not to poke it with your fingernails!) and let all the white slip through your fingers, then put the yolk in a medium sized mixing bowl.

Pour the white into a large mixing bowl, and then do another egg. You can keep reusing the same small bowl you cracked the first egg into, as long as you don't break any yolks in there - we don't want to get any yolk mixed in with the whites, if we can possibly help it!

Let me know how that works out for you.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #1509
something there

I cradle the yolk back and forth between the just-cracked egg shells until the albumin falls mostly off. I learned how to do that from watching Three's Company in the 80's, when Jack Tripper went to culinary school.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #1510
happy girlie girl!

Gallery: Amy Lynn
Quote:
I cradle the yolk back and forth between the just-cracked egg shells until the albumin falls mostly off. I learned how to do that from watching Three's Company in the 80's, when Jack Tripper went to culinary school.
hey! i was just about to post that again!

it's fun how much we have in common!
Old 05-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #1511
something there

LOL!!! I was thinking about you when I wrote that!
Old 05-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #1512
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thisisrightnow
Stats: 240/178.6/150, 5'6", 28
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: 5/10/07 (generic LC/SB), 7/19/09 (Atkins)
I separate the whites and yolks with my hands. I failed every time I would try and do it in the egg shells. I just put the egg whites/yolks in a bowl, then I pick up the egg yolk carefully with my hand and put it back and forth in each hand til all the egg whites are off of it, then I put the yolk in another bowl. SO MUCH EASIER.

ETA: That first video up there is actually the one I found on how to separate the egg whites. It was like my prayer's had been answered. I used half the carton of eggs prior to finding that video, trying to separate the egg whites in the shells and I was getting VERY frustrated.

BMI before: 38.7
BMI now: 27.6

Last edited by thisisrightnow; 05-03-2008 at 10:53 AM..
Old 05-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #1513
happy girlie girl!

Gallery: Amy Lynn
Quote:
LOL!!! I was thinking about you when I wrote that!
jamie and jack tripper...two of my favorites peeps!
Old 05-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #1514
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shammyz70
Stats: I've lost 50lbs LC'ing
WOE: LC
Start Date: 5/2007
I tried this recipe, but when I poured the batter on the cookie sheets---it was mostly stiff but a lil was runny. Did I not beat the whites enough or did I break down the whites when adding the yolks? Any tips?
Old 05-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #1515
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shammyz70
Stats: I've lost 50lbs LC'ing
WOE: LC
Start Date: 5/2007
I just read through the 54 pages---mixed in the yolks slow but not slow enough! Will try again!
Old 05-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #1516
something there

Here is an update with tips and tricks:

You've tried them. They've disappointed you. You tried them again. What went wrong the last time went right this time, but something new happened.

You are trapped ...in the oopsie zone.
A zone of sight... and of mind.... (Rod Serling, get out of my head, you raven-browed and silvery-tongued manx).

Working with egg whites isn't absolute snogberries and butterflies. There are so many variables that you can think you've nailed a process, only to find something else is now awry. Hopefully these tried and true tips from my kitchen will help your experience be a positive one and not one where you feel you're looking at a pan of stuff that looks worse than Amy Winehouse after a hickey bender. (Bad Amy!)

"My egg whites turned frothy, but they didn't hold up in the batter."

When you whip the egg whites, go for it! You want to almost over whip. I tend to go for really stiff peaks. Like Posh Spice's outie bits! Firm and looking they might cut through glass. With a conventional hand mixer, you are looking at an easy 3-5 minutes. Don't stop when you see froth. These do turn white and peaky!

"I mixed the whites and the yolks. It all went flat. What happened?"

When you add the yolk to the whites, add half or less at a time. Using a tall iced tea spoon (or something tall and slender), make a lazy sine wave (or series of S') across the bowl slowly. Turn the bowl 90 degrees. Repeat sine wave. Then, add the rest of the yolk, distributing evenly around the bowl. Make a lazy sine wave. Turn bowl 90 degrees. Make wave again.

"I scraped the batter from the bowl, but it went weird into the pan."

Scoop batter from bowl. Don't pour. I think scraping from the outset can cause two problems: 1. it breaks down the batter; and 2) the solid comes out first and it could separate and leave liquid. I use a large-bowl spoon or a measuring cup for this.

"I had liquid left in the pan and ended up with runny oopsies towards the end."

It's invariable that there will be some liquid which separates from solid, either occasionally or as a regular event. Start by plopping down 6 piles on your cookie sheet of the solid. Go back to the bowl. What is left? Keep building on the six piles slowly. As you near the end, is there liquid? If so, make a gentle well in each oopsie 'pile' and distribute the liquid among the piles. Think of the piles as mashed potato, and the center, liquidy bits as gravy. The solid holds the liquid in place, allowing no spreading.

"I had a pan of crepes!"

You can also use mini Wilton-type cake pans or muffin top pans to make oopsie if you end up with a runny batter. These pans allow the rolls to cook up uniform and at almost any size you wish! If you use 6 individual small pans, place them in a jello roll pan to keep your pans from sliding off. If you use nonstick pans, never use metal utensils! Don't spray for non-stick, as they are already treated! Let the baked oopsie cool in the pan and shrink away from the edges. Then run a rubber spatula along the edges to loosen and invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.

Other cake pans also result in different shapes of food items. Lately, I've spotlighted angel food cakes and crullers.

"How do I store oopsies?"

Storage. So you've made it through the baking, and your babies look beautiful. We're talking gossamer beauty so great you almost dropped your coffee cup trying to shield your eyes.

Let the oopsies rest on your counter for up to a day on the cooling rack. After this, I place them in a plastic sack or container with the bag open or the lid loose either on the counter or in the fridge. Air circulation helps keep these from becoming sticky. If you are concerned about leaving these on the counter, by all means, you can store them in your refrigerator.

If I plan to keep the oopsies for more than 2 days, I pop them in the refrigerator and then let them sit on the counter for a bit before using.

"Can oopsies be frozen?"

Absolutely. I mean we're talking surer than than Alison Hanigan will forevermore be known as the girl who says, "This one time... at band camp..." I bag mine two per bag (you can wash bags and reuse them, oh eco-friends and frugal friends, so this isn't a waste of resources or money) and then place smaller bags into a larger ziplock for extra protection from frost.

When I want to use them, I pull out a bag o twins, place them on the counter and allow them to that. Once they are able to be removed from the bag, remove them. Place them on a cooling rack and let them come to room temperature. Use them as you usually do. I have never noticed a change in texture or in flavor due to freezing, and others have reporting great results as well.

"My oopsies are sticking together in the bag and are spongy."

This is normal when they're in a bag touching each other. Go ahead and pull out the number of oopsies you'll need and let them rest on the counter for 30-60 minutes before use. This should help dry them out. If you need to, pop them in the toaster for no more than 30 seconds.

I usually smuggle my buns into restaurants in a baggie in my purse after having left them on the counter. Before I even order, I pull the buns out and let them rest discretely on the table. If I'm on the road, I pull those supple buns from my purse and let them sun on the dashboard (on the bag). One day my son came from school and he said to me, "Mom?! What are those?" I said, "I'm sunning my buns in your parking lot. I love the look of horror at the thought... ahh, teens!

"When they come out of the oven, they're too light and airy. Are you sure these are supposed to hold food?"

Let the rolls rest on a cooling rack before use and let them cool/solidify. They do have a different texture when they first come out of the oven. They become more substantial as they sit on the counter. If I need rolls for dinner I usually make them a few hours in advance or they aren't generally substantial enough for holding food and do tend to be fluffy and airy (and fall apart).

"My oopsies are too dry."

Place them in a bag and seal. they should re-moisten within a few hours. (Whew! That was easy)

"I don't have the time."

Shockingly, from the time I turn the stove to 300 degrees until the oven has preheated, I've assembled ingredients, made the oopsies and have them ready to bake. It is really a quick process, especially once you get the hang of it! And with three ingredients to memorize, you're really booking. You don't need to refer to a recipe after a few batches. The time involved is really minimal. I am a busy person, and understand a lack of time, so I'll even double a recipe just to save time.

I hope these tips will help solve some of those issues which plague the oopsie makers of the world. They can seem daunting, but they're really worth the little bit of effort. And once you've nailed these tried and true techniques, you should find that your oopsies will be oopsies in name only.

Last edited by cleochatra; 05-04-2008 at 01:39 PM..
Old 05-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #1517
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: weasel!
Stats: 156/154/125; 5'7", small frame
WOE: JUDDDD/LCHF/Paleo/WAPF/whole foods
Start Date: restart LCHF 1/2014; restart LCHF/JUDDDD 4/2014
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Cleo, you have to write an Oopsie cookbook. It can be an e-book. Or print on demand. And there will be demand. Oh, yes, there will be demand.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #1518
something there

LOL! Vesna, I was thinking that would be cool once I get enough of my recipes together at some point. Minimally, I need to convert the recipes to easily-printed files through the google online document.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #1519
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 224/198.6/150
WOE: Atkins & Exercise
Start Date: Start Date: October 17,2011
Cleo you rock!
And I love your Avi pic!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #1520
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
Thanks for the... Opps What Happened To My Oppsies synopsis... I remain your devoted Oppsie devourer

Last edited by jenna...; 05-04-2008 at 09:24 PM..
Old 05-05-2008, 02:27 AM   #1521
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna... View Post
Thanks for the... Opps What Happened To My Oppsies synopsis... I remain your devoted Oppsie devourer
YOUR AVATAR is SOOOOO CUTE!!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #1522
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Babydollsea!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #1523
something there

I love that puppy avatar! I have one (a dog-- Westie) that looks somewhat like that, only mine is Satan.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:22 PM   #1524
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: queenofthepack
Thank you Thank you, I can't thank you enough for this recipe. I was truly carb addict that lived on bread and rice. Giving it up hasn't been easy. This is the first thing I've made from here and boy was it good. I had it with some Italians sausage,peppers and onions. I've had that before with a salad but this is WAY WAY better.

Now I don't have a muffin top pan, I used my regular muffin pan. I wasn't sure if I mixed the ingredients correctly but it seems to have worked out great. It had a kind of like a spongy but still almost breadlike texture. I was wondering if I'd be able to make it thru but with this added recipe and this board I know I can.
Does it make more of a difference if you use the muffin top pan instead of regular muffin pan?

Last edited by queenofthepack; 05-06-2008 at 10:00 PM..
Old 05-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #1525
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofthepack View Post
Thank you Thank you, I can't think you enough for this recipe. I was truly carb addict that lived on bread and rice. Giving it up hasn't been easy. This is the first thing I've made from here and boy was it good. I had it with some Italians sausage,peppers and onions. I've had that before with a salad but this is WAY WAY better.

Now I don't have a muffin top pan, I used my regular muffin pan. I wasn't sure if I mixed the ingredients correctly but it seems to have worked out great. It had a kind of like a spongy but still almost breadlike texture. I was wondering if I'd be able to make it thru but with this added recipe and this board I know I can.
Does it make more of a difference if you use the muffin top pan instead of regular muffin pan?
The muffin top pan makes them nice and bread sized just right for a regular burger or sandwich. For a while I used the small wilton cake pans and the Oopsie Rolls they produced were more like english muffin sized, perfect for an egg mcmuffin breakfast type sandwich but not big enough for a regular sized sandwich.

What size did yours turn out?

thanks Cleo --- I think I have the cleanest Avatar screen around. LOL

Last edited by jenna...; 05-06-2008 at 09:51 PM..
Old 05-06-2008, 10:04 PM   #1526
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: queenofthepack
Same size as my muffin pan, the cups are 2.9 inches, come to think of it I realized there was some shrinkage when I took them out, I didn't fill them up as much I should have I think so they were l yeah way too small to use as a hamburger bun, but since I'm such a bread addict, this will definitely do the trick for a lot of things I used to eat with bread. I will try to find a muffin top pan tomorrow. I'll post pics of my next batch.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:55 AM   #1527
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
Queen - if you can't find a muffin-top pan, the Wilton mini-cake pans seem to be readily available at places like Target, Michael's, and AC Moore (or any place that sells cake decorating supplies). They're about 4 inches (give or take a little, I've forgotten exactly how much) across the bottom.

You can also just bake them on a cookie sheet - I use parchment on mine, so I don't need to spray the pan. When you bake them like that, they end up closer to 5-6 inches in diameter. The finished oopsie is a little thinner, since they spread more, but they make for some very tasty chicken salad sandwiches, etc.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #1528
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jeffersonbb
Stats: 210/210/170
WOE: LOW CARB
Start Date: 3-1-08
YUM

My wife and I tried this and it rendered fantabulous (good) results!

We were in a hurry so they needed a minute or two extra in the oven but yummy none the less

We had burger and they were awesome

Last edited by jeffersonbb; 05-07-2008 at 08:51 AM..
Old 05-08-2008, 06:47 AM   #1529
something there

Those look great!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #1530
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
OH MY GAWD I fried an Oopsie up in butter this morning for French toast - NIRVANA! with SF syrup and 2 pieces of bacon! [swooning]

I made mine in my muffin top pans this week. They worked great. I sprayed it well (it's also nonstick) and let them rest about 3 minutes before trying to remove them - not EVEN a suggestion of sticking anywhere. I like the uniformity of size this way!

Yep, I'm a convert. Uh huh. Gotta have me some OOOPSIEEEES!!!