Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #1471
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thisisrightnow
Stats: 240/178.6/150, 5'6", 28
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: 5/10/07 (generic LC/SB), 7/19/09 (Atkins)
I bought some spiffy mini cake pans from Target today and they work wonders. My Oopsies turned out much better today. They have a more definite shape and I like that.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #1472
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lickrish
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 12th 07
*does a dance*

I DID IT! YES! I finally made a successful batch of oopsies! I am not sure how many times I've tried...3? 4? I've never gotten my whites to peak but I was determined tonight because we had way too many eggs in the fridge. I tried one and OMG! I'll be making these a lot! I wish I had them earlier I made LC sloppy joes but didn't eat bread with mine.

I am definitely getting some of the mini pans to make these more uniform my LC life will never be the same. ...FINALLY!

TY Cleo for yet another great recipe.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #1473
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
I'm afraid to try these. In the picture they look eggy and spongy, are they? Are these really a good substitute for bread?
Old 04-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #1474
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thisisrightnow
Stats: 240/178.6/150, 5'6", 28
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: 5/10/07 (generic LC/SB), 7/19/09 (Atkins)
If you're eating them just by themselves, then yes.. you can taste the eggs. But if you're using them as actual bread, then no. Especially when I put a hamburger, mayo, ketchup on it.. I can't even tell. Or I'll even use them as "pancakes" and put butter and syrup on them.

I think they are the perfect substitute for bread, cause it sucked all those months not being able to eat a hamburger on a bun.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #1475
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I just made something sublime with an oopsie tweak.

<--- meet a cruller...
Old 04-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #1476
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post

<--- meet a cruller...
:drool:

Recipe, Cleo... Recipe!!!

You can't leave us hanging like this, you know?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #1477
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Quote:

<--- meet a cruller...
mmmm yummy!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #1478
something there

Sorry-- had to run out the door unexpectedly. Will have recipe up hopefully by tomorrow.

Love you pookies!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #1479

Gallery: Eyelbfit
Stats: 185/183/150
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/25/2009
Love your avatar cleochatra!

and your oopsies
Old 04-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #1480
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 224/198.6/150
WOE: Atkins & Exercise
Start Date: Start Date: October 17,2011
Quote:

<--- meet a cruller...

[COLOR=darkorchid]Oh my gorsh...I think I just peed myself.....LOL Um, I want one....NOW![/COLOR]
Old 04-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #1481
something there

I put the link to the recipe in a thread below in this forum for the crepes, angel food cake, and crullers, and chocolate glaze...

Here it is!

Last edited by cleochatra; 04-25-2008 at 01:19 PM..
Old 04-25-2008, 06:01 PM   #1482
Senior LCF Member

ahh I must try those! I wish I had seen this before going to the store today. I'm shy a few ingredients. Tomorrow maybe. I DO have the pans for those though. Its funny because I almost made my oopsies in them the other night because I want a perfect round one BUT I knew the hole in the center might be an issue for some uses. lol

I went looking for some small type pans today for bun style but walmart didn't have any. and thats the only place I went.

I think I've made 3 batches of these since I posted that I did it! lol they are so good and the GREAT thing is I've been stalled going on FOREVER and I was down one lb this morning. I shall call them miracle oopsies. lol

I may have to try making monkey bread out of oopsies basically all I need is the "bread" and I can use everything else. My kids would LOVE it!

Last edited by Lickrish; 04-25-2008 at 06:03 PM..
Old 04-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #1483
something there

Lickrish-- I think these can be stallbreakers because of the high protein and fat in the rolls. Even though the texture is VERY different, ingredientswise, they're scrambled eggs with cheese--two things which really facilitate weight loss on a lower-carb, whole-foods plan as essentially induction-menu foods. I really think these are also filling enough that you just have little to no hunger afterwards. It really sticks to the gut.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #1484
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Lickrish-- I think these can be stallbreakers because of the high protein and fat in the rolls. Even though the texture is VERY different, ingredientswise, they're scrambled eggs with cheese-
thank goodness they don't taste like scrambled eggs. Its about the only way I can't stand eggs which is funny because I loved them as a kid.

YEA its PMS etc time too and this is when I usually lose weight. I know totally opposite than the norm. I wish I could lose weight the other 3 weeks of the month too. lol
Old 04-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #1485
Major LCF Poster!

I finally made these...I'm not quite sure how I feel about these yet. I omitted the sugar but didn't add anything extra. I am quite proud of myself that I was able to whip up egg whites on my first try. I took the advice and put the beaters and the bowl in the freezer first (I even put the eggs in the freezer...hehe). I baked them for 25 mins. and mine came out soooooooo light and airy. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't very eggy. yay! The consistency is kinda weird the best way to describe it is that it kind of melts in your mouth the way cotton candy does, just kinda disappears. I took half of one and added mayo/mustard turkey and cheese and it was pretty good. I will definitely make these and play around with the add-ins. I have a few questions:

Are they suppose to be really light and airy? (mine crumbled on the edges)

Can these be baked directly on a pizza stone?

For those of you making pizza are you adding all the ingredients and then putting them under the broiler?

Do they get soggy when you add the pizza sauce?

Thanks Cleo, for the recipe! It'll be fun playing around with it!!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #1486
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarblulu
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: this time: October 2007
Made the crullers last nite...

I couldn't find the mini angel food pans but found a silicone mini bundt pan (4 cakes per pan) so I used that for the crullers. OMG they were so cute - and SOOOOO good. Even my non LC hubby was impressed. The only thing I did different from the recipe was mixing sweeteners. I used 1/2 splenda and 1/2 erythritol (or however you spell it) in both the oopsies and the glaze.

Sorry I didn't get to take a picture as they were devoured too soon. :blush:

And I was down almost a pound this morning.

Anyway, these will stay in my LC rotation for sure!

Thanks again Cleo for sharing your inventions with us!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:17 AM   #1487
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post

Are they suppose to be really light and airy? (mine crumbled on the edges)
My version directly from the oven are flakey and croissant-like. If I want closer to hamburger bun consistency, I fridge them overnight -- completely changes the texture and pliability, and totally eliminates crumbling.

HTH,

-Retroworx
Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #1488
Major LCF Poster!

Location: Where student drivers are taught how to dodge road apples
Gallery: Madam De Leon
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
My version directly from the oven are flakey and croissant-like. If I want closer to hamburger bun consistency, I fridge them overnight -- completely changes the texture and pliability, and totally eliminates crumbling.

HTH,

-Retroworx
What version are you making - the original rev rolls (1 Tbsp cream cheese to 1 egg) or the oopsie version (1 oz cream cheese to 1 egg)?

I've never made the original revs, but from what I understand, the original rev rolls are very brittle when they first come out of the oven, and absolutely must be stored overnight to become pliable and more breadlike.

Having said that, I sometimes find my oopsies a little bit brittle along the edges when they first come out of the oven. I let them cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to cooling racks though, and unless I had some poorly folded liquid oopsie batter that spread out and made the edges thin, they soften up quickly while cooling.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #1489
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post

HTH,

-Retroworx
I'll try that, thanks!

I made a sweet version last night and don't care for it as much as the savory versions. For some reason to me it tastes more eggy than the savory version. I did add half a sf jello pudding cup and whip cream and that definitely helped bulk it up and make me feel more satisfied.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #1490
Major LCF Poster!

Oh and whoever it was that made waffles with these, can you tell me how you did that and what recipe you used? I tried this last night and ended up with light airy scrambled eggs in my waffle iron
Old 04-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #1491
something there

Diva-- Did you make sure the pan was greased adequately and extremely hot? Did you add the protein powder? Did you let them cook long enough before opening the iron? If you have done those things and have whipped those whites as stiff as can be, you're going to have good results. If the batter is mixed like regular waffle batter (for high-carb waffles), they do tend to flatten.

Treat them just like oopsie rolls, only you cook then on the waffle iron.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #1492
happy girlie girl!

Gallery: Amy Lynn
yea jamie! a new pic!!! love it!
Old 04-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #1493
something there

It's an older pic, but since I'm nearing that weight and I have the long hair, I'm using it. It looks more like me than the short hair these days.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #1494
happy girlie girl!

Quote:
It's an older pic, but since I'm nearing that weight and I have the long hair, I'm using it. It looks more like me than the short hair these days.
love the long hair on you!

(not to imply that i didn't love the shorter sassy do...cause that was cute too! )
Old 04-29-2008, 06:14 PM   #1495
something there

Thank you! I have been contemplating cutting my hair, but I think when it's short and my face is fat, I look fatacular. And with long hair I could be sassy and stick chopsticks in it or something. Or like nuclear missile silos. Or my tinfoil hat.

This picture motivates me to hit my next goal. Onward and downward!
Old 04-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #1496
happy girlie girl!

Quote:
Thank you! I have been contemplating cutting my hair, but I think when it's short and my face is fat, I look fatacular. And with long hair I could be sassy and stick chopsticks in it or something. Or like nuclear missile silos. Or my tinfoil hat.

This picture motivates me to hit my next goal. Onward and downward!
i'm so proud of you--KUTGW!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #1497
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Diva-- Did you make sure the pan was greased adequately and extremely hot? Did you add the protein powder? Did you let them cook long enough before opening the iron? If you have done those things and have whipped those whites as stiff as can be, you're going to have good results. If the batter is mixed like regular waffle batter (for high-carb waffles), they do tend to flatten.

Treat them just like oopsie rolls, only you cook then on the waffle iron.
Protein Powder??!?! Completely missed that one...I believe I have some but when and how much do I add?

Oh and I made a strawberry shortcake with the sweet oopsies I had left over...so so so good. Tasted like the real thing such a nice addition to my usual strawberry/whip cream snack

I also remember reading somewhere people using ground flax to bulk these up a bit? I was at trader joes today and found some ground roasted blueberry flax. 1 carb per Tbsp. I think it will be nice to add to the sweet oopsies, we'll see
Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #1498
something there

I hope this helps.

Gluten-Free Waffles

6 eggs, separated
6 ounces of cream cheese
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1 scoop vanilla protein powder

Preheat waffle iron. Spray with non-stick coating (or oil the plates with a pastry brush prior to heating).

In one bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. In a separate bowl, mix yolks with cream cheese and protein powder. Add whites mixture to the yolks. With a long wooden spoon or iced tea spoon, carefully make a sine wave through the mixtures to blend them carefully.

Once the waffle iron is sufficiently heated, pour scant quarter-cup measuring cups with batter. Allow waffles to cook sufficiently! You want 4-6 minutes for the first waffles, minimally, since they seem to need more time. DO NOT OPEN the waffle iron until the first waffles have had a chance to cook. It seems that after the first waffles, all others require closer to 4 minutes per.

Serve immediately, or you can freeze and toast later (on a low setting).

Makes 12-14 belgian/rectangular waffles.

Nutritional information per 2 waffles (1/6 of recipe):

Calories: 192
Carbohydrates (no fiber): 1.8 grams
Protein: 6 grams
Fat: 7.5 grams

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:55 AM   #1499
something there

I am not sure what to think about flax. Many say it is rancid if heated to certain temperatures and can then be a carcinogen, so I am starting to rethink my use of the stuff--but I need further research before I make my mind up about it.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:59 AM   #1500
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Quote:
I am not sure what to think about flax. Many say it is rancid if heated to certain temperatures and can then be a carcinogen, so I am starting to rethink my use of the stuff--but I need further research before I make my mind up about it.
Really?? Hmm..Ill have to do some reading too because I have started using it whenever I can. The dark brown stuff is disgusting but the golden ground stuff is undetectable in flavour when mixed in things and it seems to give support to wet recipes. I have just heard so many great things about flax that I wanted to try to incorporate it into my daily diet..and I have always thrown a couple of T into the waffle batter, the oopsies, the pizza crusts and to me, it makes it "breadier".

And Cleo, again for this recipe as I have finally found a low carb food that I LOVE..I mean no other new low carb recipe or food is ever a portion control thing for me but this is!!! And Im not complaining just sayin. . I make up the oopsies with a sweeter version and use them as pancakes with butter and a bit of syrup..I could eat the whole recipe if Im not careful..but its so nice knowing that if I did, it wouldnt be like Id be in big trouble with the scale.

Oh, and you are just too beautiful!!!! Great pic!