Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #1321
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
lonevision-- the edges can come out a bit more 'done'. I've had some break off, and I just either toss those bits or use them as dried bread crumbs for other recipes.

If they're flat, it could be that the batter isn't quite thick enough.

I When I make the rolls on the pan, I start with the thickest bits of the batter (assuming that some of your batter has separated and is runny while some isn't) by making 6 piles. Then, with a spoon, I hollow out a well in the center of each and add the thinner batter. The thicker helps hold the thinner in and tends to keep the batter from running everywhere.

I hope that helps!

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2008, 08:32 AM   #1322
something there

mary-- would you know how wide across the base (bottom) of one of the muffin tops are? The Wilton pans are 4.25" across the bottom. I'm wondering if there is any size difference between the size of the rolls from the pans?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #1323
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jenna...
WOE: VLCarb
My Wiltons are 3.25 across the bottom (turned them over and measured) so my Oopsies were English Muffin sized. So last night I made more in the small Cheese Cake pans and got large Hamburger Bun sized. I used 10 eggs and 10oz of CC and got 10 large Oopsies and two Wilton Oopsies.

I love the Oopsies but now that I'm hooked I see an Oopsie making party in my kitchen every 2-3 days.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #1324
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: marymc
Just ran the ruler across them and looks like the base is 3.5" (like if you flip it over) and at the top it's 3.75" across. They must sort of angle out a bit from the bottom up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
mary-- would you know how wide across the base (bottom) of one of the muffin tops are? The Wilton pans are 4.25" across the bottom. I'm wondering if there is any size difference between the size of the rolls from the pans?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #1325
something there

Thank you both!

So there is a difference in the width, but only 3/4". Not bad! I'd hate for there to be too obvious a difference.

jenna-- LOL on the oopsie party!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #1326
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AlliCat
Stats: 226/220/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February '08
I posted this in the "why not soften cream cheese" thread, but wanted to post them here too. I've experimented over and over and finally found the oopsies that I adore. I used 1.5 oz reduced fat spreadable cream cheese, 1.5 oz vegenaise (a type of mayo), protein powder, baking powder, Mrs Dash, and garlic powder in the yolks. In the whites I used xanthan gum, and a pinch of cream of tarter. Here's my chicken sandwich from this afternoon. I was shocked at how good these were. Here are some pictures.

"I do not understand everything about Christ and Christianity. I also do not understand everything about electricity, but I do not intend to sit in the dark until I do."[/COLOR]

Last edited by AlliCat; 03-13-2008 at 08:32 PM..
Old 03-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #1327
Major LCF Poster!

Fabulous! What kind of pan did you cook them in?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #1328
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna... View Post
Fabulous! What kind of pan did you cook them in?
Thanks. I cooked them in a standard muffin top pan. Here they are right after they came out (the combination of a brand new camera and nailing the oopsie recipe can result in too many pictures taken of food ). The only thing I wish I did differently was smooth the tops a little.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:54 AM   #1329
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
Alli,

They look fabulous! If I could only pick one off the screen here!
Old 03-14-2008, 07:00 AM   #1330
something there

Those are gorgeous!
Old 03-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #1331
Junior LCF Member

I was wondering how a ricotta/cottage cheese or ricotta/cream cheese combo would work in the oopsies. What do you all think?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #1332
something there

I say try it. I'm all about experimentation, or I wouldn't have ended up with cauliflower and zucchini pizza!

What you do if you're not sure about the outcome is to just make 2 buns per recipe (That's just one egg's worth, instead of three). That way, if it's sucktacular, you didn't just throw out an entire batch.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #1333
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Alli, those buns are gorgeous!! And the sandwich looks delish! I am hungry now!!!! I just love the muffin top pans too. Anyhoo... do you happen to know what measurements you used on the seasoning add-ins? I really want to try this version with my RRs.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #1334
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I say try it. I'm all about experimentation, or I wouldn't have ended up with cauliflower and zucchini pizza!

What you do if you're not sure about the outcome is to just make 2 buns per recipe (That's just one egg's worth, instead of three). That way, if it's sucktacular, you didn't just throw out an entire batch.
Excellent idea Cleo! I'll try that.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #1335
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymc View Post
Alli, those buns are gorgeous!! And the sandwich looks delish! I am hungry now!!!! I just love the muffin top pans too. Anyhoo... do you happen to know what measurements you used on the seasoning add-ins? I really want to try this version with my RRs.
Thanks Mary (sorry it took me a bit, my girls are putting on a fashion show that is too cute ). Here's the recipe I typed up for my recipe book (the kids and I have nicknamed them "Alli Oops". Poor kids have been so tolerant of my experiments ):

3 large eggs, separated
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
less than 1/8 tsp cream of tarter
1/2 tsp baking powder
12 grams designer whey protein powder
1.5 ounces reduced fat spreadable cream cheese (I used Horizon brand)
1.5 ounces Vegenaise (you could add regular mayo. It would be less carbs, more fat, a little more calories)
Seasonings of choice: I used @ 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash original (just sprinkled lightly across the top of the yolk mixture) and @ 1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Spray muffin top pan liberally and set aside. To the yolks add cream cheese, mayo, baking powder, and protein powder. Stir to combine. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until frothy. Add xanthan gum and cream of tarter. Beat until stiff...very stiff. When my whites start to dance around the beater, then I know it's done. I go beyond turning the bowl upside down. Add about 1/4 of the white mixture to the yolk mixture and combine. Don't worry about having to be too gentle. Add the yolk mixture to the white mixture and fold. Don't combine all the way, you want to see some streaks. Next time, I'll remember to flatten the tops just a bit.

Cook for about 30 minutes. When they're done, move them to a cooling rack and let cool all the way through.

Nutritional info for 1:
Calories: 100, Fat: 8, Protein: 4.9, Carbs: 1.3, Fiber: .1

Last edited by AlliCat; 03-14-2008 at 10:21 AM..
Old 03-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #1336
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
AlliCat,
Those are beautiful and so HIGH!! That sandwich looks great and I love your plate. The green and red in the plate go with the sandwich. Love the plates!! LOL Do you have a clue as to how much 2 grams of protein powder is equal to in Tablespoons? I just am not good converting.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #1337
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Love it... AlliOpps!! Thanks for posting measurements.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #1338
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
AlliCat,
Those are beautiful and so HIGH!! That sandwich looks great and I love your plate. The green and red in the plate go with the sandwich. Love the plates!! LOL Do you have a clue as to how much 2 grams of protein powder is equal to in Tablespoons? I just am not good converting.
I thought the same thing about the plates. That's why I took a picture of the sandwich on the stove. I thought the plate was interfering a little .

According to GourmetSleuth - Gram Conversion Calculator , 12 grams = 2.529 teaspoons. So I would think 2 1/2 tsp - 1 tablespoon (there are 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon) would work just fine.

Last edited by AlliCat; 03-14-2008 at 03:54 PM..
Old 03-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #1339
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Thank you for converting it for me and for that link! I will use that in the future.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #1340
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliCat View Post
I was wondering how a ricotta/cottage cheese or ricotta/cream cheese combo would work in the oopsies. What do you all think?
It most certainly does work and beautifully! I did that exact thing today as I was almost out of cream cheese and they turned out just as nice as if I used all cc..taste was pretty much the same! I did throw some flaxmeal into some others and they were all delicious! Nice big juicy bbqed burger for supper..yum
Old 03-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #1341
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
It most certainly does work and beautifully! I did that exact thing today as I was almost out of cream cheese and they turned out just as nice as if I used all cc..taste was pretty much the same! I did throw some flaxmeal into some others and they were all delicious! Nice big juicy bbqed burger for supper..yum
How funny, I'm making BBQ for tomorrow night and planned on having BBQ sandwiches . I just got some flax meal too. How much did you use? Did you put it into the yolk mixture or dust the bottom of rolls?
Old 03-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #1342
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dac80
I tried these tonight & they came out flat!

HELP!!!

What did I do wrong?

Debbie
Old 03-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #1343
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: swinglow
Stats: 247.6/236.6/195
WOE: Simeon's R1P2 til May 15, 2010
Start Date: March 28, 2010
Aww Debbie, I'm so sorry!

Not to worry, most come out a little funky the first time. Sounds as if your whites were not beaten stiff enough. You should literally be able to turn the bowl upside down without incident. I do this every time I make oopsies simply because it amuses me... hehehe

Some folks also add a tsp of xanthan gum to the whites just as they start to peak; this gets better volume and gives the whites more structure so they break down less during folding.

For better volume still, add a tablespoon of protein powder to the mixture; stir in after folding. That's the tip the lovely Luckiangel uses to make her oopsie waffles.

HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac80 View Post
I tried these tonight & they came out flat!

HELP!!!

What did I do wrong?

Debbie

"Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning" - Anonymous
Old 03-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #1344
Junior LCF Member

I whipped the heck out of those whites. But they weren't room temp, so I am going to try again tomorrow. Does the xanthan gum or protein powder work better? I have both here.
Thanks for the reply

Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinglow View Post
Aww Debbie, I'm so sorry!

Not to worry, most come out a little funky the first time. Sounds as if your whites were not beaten stiff enough. You should literally be able to turn the bowl upside down without incident. I do this every time I make oopsies simply because it amuses me... hehehe

Some folks also add a tsp of xanthan gum to the whites just as they start to peak; this gets better volume and gives the whites more structure so they break down less during folding.

For better volume still, add a tablespoon of protein powder to the mixture; stir in after folding. That's the tip the lovely Luckiangel uses to make her oopsie waffles.

HTH
Old 03-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #1345
Senior LCF Member

Go for it! No reason you can't use both the xanthan and the protein powder. They really add two different dimensions to the oopsies. Just remember you add them at different times: the xanthan just as the whites get frothy and the protein powder after you've folded the two mixtures.

Quote:
I whipped the heck out of those whites. But they weren't room temp, so I am going to try again tomorrow. Does the xanthan gum or protein powder work better? I have both here.
Thanks for the reply

Debbie
Old 03-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #1346
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Debbie, just my two cents here...

I never bring my eggs to room temperature and they always work just fine. Are you hand whipping?

When you pile up the mixture it should still be fluffy and like Denise said - you should be able to turn the egg white bowl upside down without anything falling out. When you go to pile it up on the baking sheet after you've mixed in the yolks, if it's gotten runny or thinned out, it could be that you overmixed it when you worked the yolks in and broke the whites down. That's easy to do. You have to be very gentle and try not to mix too much. I also use muffin top pans, which seems to contain them a bit from flattening out. They're kinda expensive though and Cleo found some little mini Wilton cake pans that work well too.

I've never used the xanthan powder in my Revolution Rolls (I use the old recipe with cottage cheese), but when I have used it as a thickener in other recipes a tiny little bit goes a long way. It seems like a full teaspoon would be a lot ... just wondering??

I do use a natural flavor whey protein powder all the time now in all of my rolls, but I just mix it in with the yolks before folding them into the whites. That will also help to keep the whites from breaking down.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:18 AM   #1347
something there

I don't use xanthan in the oopsie rolls, either, but that's certainly not to say you couldn't, certainly!

swinglow-- you rock! Thank you so much for your tips on when to add which ingredient. I never would have known.

Sorry for being absentee on this thread. I have been so busy! I'm lucky to swing by much right now.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #1348
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks for the reply

Debbie
Debbie the only times I totaly failed making egg whites was when I used a plastic bowl and the bowl must have had oil on it. Be sure you use an oil free metal bowl, it's the safest.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #1349
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

swinglow-- you rock!
Awww, thanks, Cleo!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:54 AM   #1350
Junior LCF Member

The egg whites weren't a problem. I was very gentle, but yesterday the egg yolks did seem a bit runny. I tried them again today, and they turned out better, but I think baking them in a form will help. I am going to check into those. I can go to Linen's & Things and use my 20% off coupon!

Thanks for all of the replies and help. I think I will try the protein powder, too! How much do I use?

Debbie

Last edited by dac80; 03-15-2008 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: forgot to ask