Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/140.4/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
So I've got this can of powdered egg white and decided to whip it to see if it, well, whips up.

I followed the instructions using warm water, but the powder stuck to the spatula and floated all over. (I usually mix it in with other ingredients) So I figured, I'd use the beaters to mix it up before beating and it suds up like detergent. I went through the whole procedure and it seemed to whip up fine but I couldn't get it STIFF stiff. Plus I'm using my new melamine bowls and it doesn't stick to anything, so I couldn't try the upside down experiment, it kept trying slide right out. When I went to pour it into another bowl the whole batch slid out in the exact shape of the bowl and went plop! Since i was experimenting I didn't make rolls with it, so I'm faking a chocolate spongecake yule roll I dunno, I've had this recipe for years but never tried it and since I didn't use whole eggs I just whipped some cream cheese with cocoa powder and splenda and a couple of eggs and folded it together and stuck it in the oven.

Cleo, you've given me the courage to try new things involving whipped egg whites!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #92
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: soon2bfitmom
Stats: 293.6/???/135
Start Date: South Beach
mine came out very runny - i put them in muffin cups - they are good but more 'scrambled eggy' than anything

tips on next time?
Old 01-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #93
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I didn't like mine in cups. They were too quichy. I think they need to be left on a flat pan to achieve their full sexy value.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ~mina~
nice, cleo!!

thats pretty exciting

ROFL@sexy value.. ummm.. yeah hah
Old 01-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #95
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok, but very runny they wouldnt have 'held' that way = the cookiesheet woulda been just liquid! (they were pancake batter like - and I did have the whites peakin!)
Old 01-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #96
something there

metga-- You have me drooling with that brat over there! WOW! That looks wunnerful!

And those danished look rocking! What did you put on top of the cream cheese filling? Is that low-carb jelly?

I'm glad you're experimenting with the powdered whites! I have a whole container of vanilla-scented protein egg white crap that I bought to make smoothies with and haven't used a single bit of it! I suppose I should try some stuff with it.

I'm still thinking of that brat, though...

Rory, that looks awesome!
Old 01-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #97
something there

Lil-- Ohhh. I missed the bit about them being runny. I add the batter to the whites with a tall tea spoon/dessert spoon in order to create the least amount of disturbance in the Force. And then, I stir very slowly, in an S pattern.

It takes some practice. I almost overbeat my whites so they'll hold up better.

I lubs you, too haystar! {{{{haystar}}}}

mina-- If food cannot taste sexy, it should at least look sexy.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #98
Big Yapper!!!!

I'll try that next time! they are still good tho!!!!
Old 01-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ~mina~
gah!! just checked on the gyro... ooooo that looks awesome!

stillscaredoflamb

i think these would make awesome tacos! ima try it!
Old 01-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #100

Gallery: pocahontas
I just had a turkey sandwhich! I made the original oopsie recipe using a muffin top pan and they came out perfectly round. I think I am going to add some savory spices to the next batch.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #101
something there

mina-- I am sososososo skittish when it comes to eating something that didn't make its way into a burger bun. But the lamb... it is so savory. It's a bit smokier-tasting, and it is really quite good! I really like it. My kids snarfed down a bunch of it without ever knowing it wasn't beef. Finally one of them said, "You know, that's a little different. What is it?" I told them it's lamb. They all shrugged and asked for seconds.

It was really good stuff. I bought more already!

Lilk-- I am sorry they were runny! I had some the other day that separated a little. I had to improvise. LOL

mina-- buns rule!

pocahontas-- that sounds really delicious! Is the muffin pan hard to clean? I had a nightmare of a time with muffin tins.

I added chives and shredded cheese to a few of the rolls and they were pretty good! In a few, I added in green olives. That was even better!

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FatKat184
Stats: 160/152/140
WOE: low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lildudesmommy View Post
Ok, but very runny they wouldnt have 'held' that way = the cookiesheet woulda been just liquid! (they were pancake batter like - and I did have the whites peakin!)
this happened to me when some yolk fell in with the whites and the whites wouldn't stiffen no matter how much i beat them. didn't even help when i prayed to my small statue of Cleo.

so, this is what i did...and it's genius i tell you!! i will put the recipe on my site to share with the world the genius that is.....well, okay. i'm not a genius but that this fix came out of my head surprised the heck out of me.

i added 3 tbl of almond meal and 1 tbl of plain whey protein powder. spiced up the batter with cayenne and stuff. poured it into a pizza pan so it was very thin. baked it until it got hard and crackery. broke it into pieces and put it into a plastic bag. beat on the bag to make bread crumbs. and made awesome FRIED CHICKEN!! they were the best and easiest lc bread crumbs ever!!

still have some of the breadcrumbs left over and i'll be making more chicken tomorrow.

so, that's my one great contribution to the world of lc cooking. (ok, i have one more but it's not from a Cleo roll.)
Old 01-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lildragonfly
Kat- please do post that recipe. I could use some good ole fried chicken.
Also what have some of you added to make them different flavors and so forth. These have become a weekly thing I make now.

Last edited by lildragonfly; 01-12-2008 at 03:44 PM..
Old 01-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #104
something there

Some add-ins I've tried:

green olives and shredded cheese
green olives, ham and cheese
ham and cheese
cheese and chives
Old 01-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #105

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/140.4/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Here's a picture of a Revol-oopsie Yule Cake
I had a recipe for making a chocolate yule cake but it was just eggs, splenda and cocoa. Since I was experimenting with whipping dry egg whites I decided to make it.
the frosting is heavy cream, cream cheese and white chocolate instant pudding
the cake is 4 eggs worth of egg white powder, two eggs, 1 cup sweetener, 3 T cocoa, 2 T bake mix, a dash of vanilla and chocolate extract.

Same concept, whip4 whites ,mix everything else, fold, pour, bake, then spread pudding, roll up, cut off ends, place and frost.

All because of Ooopsie did I try this and I am pleased, it tasted alright
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yule.jpg (49.8 KB, 183 views)
Old 01-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #106

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Wow..girls...Now, Cleo..Do you take your oopseys into Wendy's and ask for a bunless baconator, then put your baconator on the rolls at your seat? OR, do you order the baconator and toss the buns and replace with your oopsie rolls? I want to know proper
Oopsie etiquette.

I LOVED that article in the paper..You are doing such a service to peeps everywhere..gluten/free/wheat/free/carb/free peeps with thank you..

The yule log looks nommie, nommie, too..
Old 01-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FatKat184
Stats: 160/152/140
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I had a recipe for making a chocolate yule cake but it was just eggs, splenda and cocoa. Since I was experimenting with whipping dry egg whites I decided to make it.
the cake is 4 eggs worth of egg white powder, two eggs, 1 cup sweetener, 3 T cocoa, 2 T bake mix, a dash of vanilla and chocolate extract.

Same concept, whip4 whites ,mix everything else, fold, pour, bake, then spread pudding, roll up, cut off ends, place and frost.

wow! that looks awesome.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 262/ 155.8/ 130 5'3"
WOE: Weight Watchers
Let me begin by saying that I've never made any recipe from here, but decided to try this. Well, I made them and I DIDN'T MESS THEM UP!!!!! They are really good. I think I needed to cook them a minute or 2 longer cause they were a little squishy in the middle, but they are awesome!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #109
hay
Funfetti Freak

Gallery: hay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leannemomof2girls View Post
Let me begin by saying that I've never made any recipe from here, but decided to try this. Well, I made them and I DIDN'T MESS THEM UP!!!!! They are really good. I think I needed to cook them a minute or 2 longer cause they were a little squishy in the middle, but they are awesome!
I think they'll always be a *little* squishy just because of what they're made out of....just don't want you to cook them too long and burn them
Old 01-12-2008, 05:41 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chouter
Stats: 199.6/171.5/152
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 1/1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
Sour cream has more carbs in it, so adjust for that in your carb numbers!

It's fun hearing how people are tweaking the recipe!
I tweaked this...tweaked it real good. I put in nutmeg, cloves, and orange oil. While they were baking, I whipped up heavy cream to the stage just before it becomes butter, nice and thick. Smeared some SF raspberry jam, whipped cream and ate them whole.

Man, they were so yummy!
Old 01-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helens
Stats: Biggest/Big/130
WOE: Atkins Induction 1-21-08
Start Date: June 2007
Thanks for the great recipe, Cleochatra!

I just made my first batch of Revoloopsie Rolls and made it a double batch after reading all the posts. Sink or swim, right? Since we already ate supper, DH & I split one and were very impressed. They just melted in our mouths. YUM!

Since I have a couple of ideas, I'll be experimenting with this recipe in the near future.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:10 AM   #112

Gallery: Rory
Stats: 20W/14M/8
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post

Wow I'm impressed! Looks great.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:23 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
Start Date: Sept. 2003
I finally tried these yesterday after reading so much about them. I had tried the "real" RR wa-a-y back and didn't care for them.
Cleo, I love your Oopsies! They are really great as a neutral flavor to deliver whatever yummy fillings you want! I had mustard and black pastrami which was delicious. Then I tried toasting one and topping it with peanut butter. It was good, but I have another recipe for a microwave bread that I like better for that.

There is a recipe for a steak sandwich on the Pioneer Woman's blog that has me drooling. I'm wondering it would work on the oopsie rolls, or if they would get too soggy because the sandwich looks so juicy. I might give it a try.
If you google "Pioneer Woman Cooks" then look for Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich, you'll find the recipe. She has some other ones that can be LC friendly too, and like Cleo and Rory, she is very entertaining to read.
Thanks ladies, for keeping me laughing! And congrats Cleo, on the article!
Old 01-13-2008, 07:54 AM   #114
something there

Thank you, Cathy! I loved reading your post! Very informative! I am glad you like the recipe! I agree with its neutral flavor. I hated the original RRs. They haven't changed much since 1984. They still groded me out.

helens-- When you go to it, you really go to it! I am SO glad you like the recipe! I have to make double batches all of the time, but only because now I eat pizzas on them. LOL!

And they haven't stalled me one bit!

Chouter-- that sounds delicious! I might have to try that! Thank you so much for sharing!

Leanne! You rock! I am so glad they worked out for you! I always feel really bad when someone's batch doesn't work, so I am sososososo happy knowing yours did!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helens
Stats: Biggest/Big/130
WOE: Atkins Induction 1-21-08
Start Date: June 2007
I'm headed for the kitchen to cook up some bacon for breakfast. Since the rolls already contain the egg, the plan is to put the bacon on the revoloopsie rolls with a thin slice of tomato, then melt a bit of cheese on top in the toaster oven. Voila! A "grilled" bacon, tomato and cheese grilled sandwich!
Old 01-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #116
something there

metga! That looks great!!!

Quote:
Wow..girls...Now, Cleo..Do you take your oopseys into Wendy's and ask for a bunless baconator, then put your baconator on the rolls at your seat? OR, do you order the baconator and toss the buns and replace with your oopsie rolls? I want to know proper
Oopsie etiquette.

I LOVED that article in the paper..You are doing such a service to peeps everywhere..gluten/free/wheat/free/carb/free peeps with thank you..

The yule log looks nommie, nommie, too..
LOL!!! I can see that now. It always seems to confuse people when I tell them I don't want the bun. I just order the Baconator, take it home right away, and peel the bun off and toss it. As long as the burger stays warm, there's no problem there.

When I go to a sit-down restaurant, I just peel the bun off at the table after it arrives and set it aside, and then pull my buns out of my purse and make the swap.

If the burger is wrapped (because of its size), I always rewrap.

These buns have stood up to the largest Carl Junior burger I've ever seen, and to the Red Robin Guacanole Bacon Burger. Not even a problem.

One hint: make sure your buns have a wide enough circumference for the bigger burgers. If your bun is smaller than your burger, it could get messy.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #117
something there

helens-- That sounds wonderful! I also am a sucker for pesto, shredded mozzarella and a little sun-dried tomato.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #118
hay
Funfetti Freak

I am a sucker for grilled cheese sandwiches and ketchup....I think that will be my next oopsie experiment
Old 01-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #119
something there

ketchup on your GC?! Sacrilege.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:20 AM   #120
hay
Funfetti Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
ketchup on your GC?! Sacrilege.
I know, I know....its just something my famiy has done since I can remember! Everyone in my family loves it- everyone outside of the fam thinks we're NUTS!

Its the only way I'll eat them

And don't even TRY to give me tomato soup with my grilled cheese