Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #871
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: farley109
Stats: 174/165/145 5'5 39 yrs
WOE: all of the above...mainly 20 carbs or less per day
Start Date: October 4, 2004 And Again 1/8/06 and again 9/10/07
[COLOR="Teal"]Im kinda maintaining anyway....I still try to eat as close to induction as possible!! I LOVE my cream cheese and couldnt live without it!! But peanut butter I limit to about once a month!! Yesterday I needed something!! So I can eat pretty much all the oopsies I want right?? [/COLOR]

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #872
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
thick n thin Not Starch--I use 8 oz cream cheese and 8 eggs--1/2 tsp of TnT into the whites just as they were beginning the stiff peak stage--worked great--
Old 01-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #873
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shelby7851
Stats: 246/230/199(mini)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 06/26/13
I have read thru these threads, and my first attempt at these, i ended up putting them in muffin pans, because they were runny, ( my first attempt at whipping frothy whites) and i just mixed some up again. What happens is that they are frothy on top, but under the frothy whites it is wet and runny. I mix in the yolks, and so i get a nice mix on top, but i scooped out a few, they look good on the pan, but as i get to the bottom of the mixture, they get runnier and runnier, and run all over the cookie sheet.

Why am i getting froth on top and water on the bottom? i am pretty sure i didnt get any yolks in the white mixture, i do one white at a time, making sure they dont mix...
11/28/11 229
12/30/11 216
11/14/13 235

My Journal
Old 01-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #874
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
I am so excited. My first batch is in the oven and lookin' exactly like the picture. The only thing that scares me at all is that I didn't have splenda packets, just the big yellow bag which I know is fluffier. I put in a rounded tsp. Hope that works. I am now just trying to figure out what I want to make and put on it for my late lunch/early dinner.
OOOOHHH baby, I can't wait !!

Thanks so much cleo.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #875
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LovesDivine
Stats: 175/175/145
Start Date: 2/4/2013 (restart again)
pizza

Never mind, found it on the 'uses for oopsies' thread...3rd post, I am such a blonde. Forgive...

Last edited by LovesDivine; 01-28-2008 at 04:52 PM..
Old 01-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #876
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Red
Stats: 5'8 tall, 47 years young, 174/165/145
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Started Atkins 2003- Re-started induction 01/03/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
If you're following '71 or 1992, there is no limits to cream cheese. On Atkins 2002, the limit is 3-4 ounces of cheese per day.

The Dr. Atkins Diet revolution that I have that was copyright 1972 says on cheese :
"CHEESE: four ounces a day for any hard aged cheese. [COLOR="Red"]NO [/COLOR]cream cheese or cheese spreads."

I wonder if you have the same book I do?

So if you are doing a strict induction on the Atkins 72 plan you really shouldn't have these...
thankfully I am doing the 1992 Updated Dr. Atkins NEW Diet Revolution...It allows you 3-4 oz of cheese, which includes cream cheese.
So Thank You Cleo for the OOpsie in your kitchen!!!

Karin
Old 01-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #877
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tecnokitty
Stats: 222/125/150 After Baby/Now:241/145/150
WOE: Atkins 72, I'm 5'7", 36 years old
Start Date: Restarted 6/22/07. In a size 4-6 jeans now!
Thank goodness my A72 induction is long since over! I made these today and cut them in half. Put Almond butter and 0 carb jelly on them. Man o man it was GOOOOOD! I did not care for them at all when just out of the oven tho. Had to leave them in the ziplock in the fridge for a couple hours and then they were delish! Thanks Cleo
Old 01-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #878
qbu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qbu
Stats: Never again/getting there/finally!
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 5, 2005
I just made the cream puff with these...OMG!!! It was soooooo good. That's only going to be a special occasion thing for me. I can see it getting out of control really fast!

Thanks again, Cleo for all of the ideas for use for these!
Old 01-28-2008, 07:02 PM   #879
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ReneeD70
WOE: lchf
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby7851 View Post
I have read thru these threads, and my first attempt at these, i ended up putting them in muffin pans, because they were runny, ( my first attempt at whipping frothy whites) and i just mixed some up again. What happens is that they are frothy on top, but under the frothy whites it is wet and runny. I mix in the yolks, and so i get a nice mix on top, but i scooped out a few, they look good on the pan, but as i get to the bottom of the mixture, they get runnier and runnier, and run all over the cookie sheet.

Why am i getting froth on top and water on the bottom? i am pretty sure i didnt get any yolks in the white mixture, i do one white at a time, making sure they dont mix...

Sometimes it can take 7-8 minutes of your mixer being at high speed to get your egg whites stiff. Stiff meaning you seriously can hold the bowl upside down and they do not move. They also take on a pearlescent sheen that only comes when they are in stiff peak stage. Once you see them that way, you'll know.
If they are anything less than that then are not ready. Are you adding your cream of tartar, or some kind of acid? I used 1/2 capful of vinegar.
Plus I stress enough to gently fold....I do it so slow and with the lightest touch possible.
Hope this helps.
And "frothy" is only the beginning stage of whipping them eggies.

Good luck!
Working on going from fabulous, fat & 40 to fabulous, FINE & 40!

Last edited by ReneeD70; 01-28-2008 at 07:04 PM..
Old 01-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #880
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: weasel!
Stats: 156/154/125; 5'7", small frame
WOE: JUDDDD/LCHF/Paleo/WAPF/whole foods
Start Date: restart LCHF 1/2014; restart LCHF/JUDDDD 4/2014
It takes me less than a minute to beat egg whites all the way to stiff peaks.

I use a hand-cranked rotary beater. It's from a thrift store. I don't even know if they make 'em any more! The blades are flat.

My handheld electric mixer takes about five minutes or more to get the same results, even at the highest speed. Same with my beloved KitchenAid. I don't use them for beating white stiff anymore. Even a hand whisk is faster than that.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:16 AM   #881
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighDear View Post
..I cook a LOT....I've folded egg whites into so many things, not losing volume...it just seemed that the egg yolk/cream cheese mixture was too liquid for the amount of stiff whites....

I didn't soften my cream cheese....though it was from a tub, rather than a block..I weighed it instead of cut it....Maybe that's the problem...

Is there more liquid in tub cream cheese than brick cream cheese?
Yes, the tub cream cheese is much more soft and that can and will change the texture of the end product. I like the tub spreadable, but this does happen almost every time.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #882
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NGJ26
WOE: Keep It Simple
Start Date: August 2009
My tips for stiff egg whites

First, thank you Cleo for sharing. I made your recipe and it is AWESOME, even my DBF likes them. I've been experimenting with a "multi-grain" OOPSIE and will post when I get it down packed

In the meantime, here is what I do and my egg whites are very stiff, very quickly.... keep in mind FAT (i.e. oils) are the ENEMY when it comes to whipping up your whites, and NO plastic anything during whipping (i.e. bowls, whisks)

1)Seperate your eggs and let them come to room temp if you have time. You may want to give the bowl you are placing your whites into a vinegar wipe first (see step 3) And yes the older the eggs the better. BTW this is also true for easy peel boiled eggs. I know someone who buys eggs and lets them sit for a week in the fridge, then boils them.. the shells NEVER stick. I digress...

2) If using 3 egg whites, add 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar to whites and lightly beat, just to distribute the Cream of Tartar. Let eggs sit for at least 5 minutes

3) Grab a paper towel, wet it with vinegar (preferably white, but cider will work and so will lemon juice). Now wipe off the inside of your bowl and your beaters, be careful not to touch the inside of the bowl with your fingers and ditto for the beaters, remember your hands have natural oils.

4)If you are using it, get but don't add your thickening agent (Xanthum, Thickenthin, Not Sugar, Guar Gum, etc...) I have mine in a shaker top bottle, but someone recommended 1/8 of a tsp. ( I use 2 generous shakes )

5) Begin Whipping your eggs ( I have a cheapo hand held model, like $5.99). When the eggs get very frothy, continue whipping but shake in your Thickening agent.... BAMM .. your eggs should get stiff quick. Beat until all the moisture is gone - don't be afraid to tilt and turn your bowl. Using the gum my eggs are usually done ( can tip bowl over with no fear) in about 3 minutes or less.

If you are not using the gum, your eggs should be done in about 5 - 7 minutes, keep in mind you can OVER BEAT and break down the whites you just whipped up, so if your beating longer than 8 minutes or so, there was probably some oil or residue on your instruments.

My disclaimer: This is what I do and it works for me, I sincerely hope it works for you
Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 AM   #883
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: HaleysNana
WOE: Sugar Free...one day at a time!
Start Date: 4/12/04
Just have to add....I melted butter and sugar free honey on one last night for a sorta-sopapilla! Boy was that good!!! Thanks again Cleo!!! You've single-handedly saved my diet from another fall under that darned wagon!!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:14 AM   #884
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: FatFatnomore
Stats: Fat/Less Fat
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: October 26, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleysNana View Post
Just have to add....I melted butter and sugar free honey on one last night for a sorta-sopapilla! Boy was that good!!! Thanks again Cleo!!! You've single-handedly saved my diet from another fall under that darned wagon!!
sugar free honey???? I miss honey soooooo much! Where can I find the sugar free kind?
Old 01-30-2008, 07:24 AM   #885
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFatnomore View Post
sugar free honey???? I miss honey soooooo much! Where can I find the sugar free kind?
I bought it at Walmarty and Super Target where the regular honey is. It sure is good with these and with a cup of hot tea now and then!!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 AM   #886
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: FatFatnomore
Stats: Fat/Less Fat
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: October 26, 2007
Thanks for the info Haley'snana! I'm definitely going to look for it the next time I'm at Walmart!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #887
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Beware the sf honey! It's made with maltitol-the same stuff in sf candies like the Russell Stovers-gives horrible gastric distress to many. Walgreens also carries it.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #888
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Red
Stats: 5'8 tall, 47 years young, 174/165/145
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Started Atkins 2003- Re-started induction 01/03/08
To All You Good Kitchen People Out There

Is there a way to get these wonderful, so versitile, you can do anything with, oopsies to taste like, or kinda like, corn bread, without actualy making them full of carbs?

All that talk about sugar-free honey and butter has got me wanting corn bread LOL
Old 01-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #889
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Beware the sf honey! It's made with maltitol-the same stuff in sf candies like the Russell Stovers-gives horrible gastric distress to many. Walgreens also carries it.
Fortunately I'm one of those people that it doesn't bother. Thank God!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
Is there a way to get these wonderful, so versitile, you can do anything with, oopsies to taste like, or kinda like, corn bread, without actualy making them full of carbs?

All that talk about sugar-free honey and butter has got me wanting corn bread LOL
I don't know about that, but I do enjoy butter & honey now and then on my Carbquik biscuits....sure makes me feel like I'm cheating!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #890
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:

You can add flaxmeal to firm them a bit but no not like cornbread I don't think. They are like a soft spongey meringue roll.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #891
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: RiotGirl08
SF honey doesn't bother me either. Actually, it hasn't bothered anyone I know yet. And what a treat it can be!!
Old 01-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #892
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:

A lot of people use hazelnut flour for making low carb cornbread. If you can afford the carbs, maybe a little real cornmeal.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:24 AM   #893
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I had oopsies with an Arby's sammich, and MAN was it good!

Advice: Don't buy their LARGE sammich. It made 3 sammiches! LOL
Old 01-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #894
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
Cleo - I finally made some mistakes worth keeping, btw. I think I was undermixing the the yolks and cream cheese before, and the texture really did come out different.

I also tried with guar gum in the whites (just because I'm a play baby, as my DW says :P) and it completely changed the texture of the bun.... I'm just not sure if it was for the better.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:44 PM   #895
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helens
Stats: Biggest/Big/130
WOE: Atkins Induction 1-21-08
Start Date: June 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy cricket View Post
Cleo - I finally made some mistakes worth keeping, btw. I think I was undermixing the the yolks and cream cheese before, and the texture really did come out different.

I also tried with guar gum in the whites (just because I'm a play baby, as my DW says :P) and it completely changed the texture of the bun.... I'm just not sure if it was for the better.
~happy cricket~ I added 1/4 tsp of Xanthan Gum to the whites last week and was ok with the baked and cooled bun texture. I liked the way the yolk mixture folded into the whites better.

I made another double batch yesterday and added 1/4 tsp of Xanthan Gum to the yolk mixture instead. It made for a little thicker texture so they folded into the whites easier, but I think I like the original recipe texture and taste better.

I think Cleo's right, they are what they are...oopsie's!

I also made Christina's cream cheese danish idea yesterday. YUM! Thanks for the idea, Christina! DH went to work with two of them and called to say thanks!
Old 01-31-2008, 04:22 PM   #896
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Now..TY..but I didn't come up with the Original idea...Renee did. I just added chocolate to the Oopies and then added the cream cheese filling. So, I give credit to Renee..plus my idea for Chocolate..2 heads work better than one..

Thank you and HUGS
Christina

Last edited by mac24312; 01-31-2008 at 04:23 PM..
Old 01-31-2008, 04:52 PM   #897
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helens
Stats: Biggest/Big/130
WOE: Atkins Induction 1-21-08
Start Date: June 2007
ummm...guess I didn't follow the whole thread. Anyway, they were wonderful!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #898
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bprieto
Stats: BM Huh??/BMI 28.5 /BMI 21.7
WOE: Modified - OWL
Start Date: Re-inducted 1/23/12
I have read all day and am only on pg 27 of this thread so I'm marking my spot now and will try to read the rest this evening.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #899

Location: Dreaming of sitting on an island with my toes nestled in warm sand ~ if only in my mind
Stats: 190/171/150
WOE: Atkins-->LC-->Just Plain Normal For My World
Question

I've been reading the thread but I have such a head cold nothing is sinking in

Could I ask a question so I could make some now.

I don't have Pam or parchment paper, could I just rub butter on the cookie sheet or foil?

And how much and could I use vinegar since I don't have cream of tarter?

Thank you.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #900
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Boudica
Stats: New Mommy
WOE: Low G.I. WOE
Start Date: Every Day
1/2 t vinegar should be enough.... and I don't know about the butter o the cookie sheet. Perhaps butter on the foil on the cookie sheet!