Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #841
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
I made my first batch today. They didn't come out quite right, I think I didn't get the egg whites stiff enough. How long does it take to whip them stiff enough?

Anyway, since the mix was too runny to make "mounds" on a tray I used a bun tray instead, so now I have 12 small rolls instead of 6 big-uns, but they are very tasty. (Well, I now have 10, since I've scoffed two of them.)

I'll give them another go next weekend to see if I can get the egg whites stiff enough.

Last edited by junkfoodmonkey; 01-27-2008 at 10:44 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #842
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Boudica
Stats: New Mommy
WOE: Low G.I. WOE
Start Date: Every Day
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkfoodmonkey View Post
I made my first batch today. They didn't come out quite right, I think I didn't get the egg whites stiff enough. How long does it take to whip them stiff enough?

Anyway, since the mix was too runny to make "mounds" on a tray I used a bun tray instead, so now I have 12 small rolls instead of 6 big-uns, but they are very tasty. (Well, I now have 10, since I've scoffed two of them.)

I'll give them another go next weekend to see if I can get the egg whites stiff enough.
Stiff Enough will be when you can turn your bowl of whites upside down and shake them slightly and they don't fall out.

~D
Old 01-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #843
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helens
Stats: Biggest/Big/130
WOE: Atkins Induction 1-21-08
Start Date: June 2007
I made two double batches of oopsie's this morning. The first were regular rolls for sandwiches, burgers, toast, or whatever with no extra seasonings.

I tried using the Xanthan Gum in both batches by adding a little more than 1/8th tsp to the whites, along with the cream of tartar. The whites beat up VERY stiff and held their texture much better during the folding process. They didn't break down at all and there was no liquid in the bottom of the bowl like I sometimes get, so I was pleased with that. I thought the rolls also had a little more consistent, better texture.

To the yolk/cream cheese mixture of the second batch I added a heaping tablespoon of unsweetened Hershey's baking cocoa and 4 drops of SweetzFree. When they came out of the oven, they smelled and looked so good we had to try them out, so we split one in half and squirted RediWhip on top and they just melted in our mouths! Yep, we had Sunday morning breakfast dessert!

The plan for the rest of the chocolate ones is to fill them with the RediWhip and pop them into the freezer. This is way better than a bowl of ice cream, any day!
Old 01-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #844
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: junkfoodmonkey
Stats: 213/193/140
WOE: Atkins - Induction
Start Date: Original Nov 2003 Current 17 Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deila View Post
Stiff Enough will be when you can turn your bowl of whites upside down and shake them slightly and they don't fall out.

~D
That sounds like one you have to be very sure about before you try it.

Thanks, that's what I'll shoot for next time.

I'm sitting here now eating two of my little rolls made into cream puffs with real whipped cream (none of that spray can rubbish.) With a nice cup of English Breakfast tea. This feels extremely decadent.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #845
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mon3 View Post
I have made the Atkins version of the roll and figured you all were kidding yourselves. I finally gave in and made a batch tonight. My taste test was a roast beef sandwich with Pepper Jack cheese. It was so good!! I was stunned.
I've been too lazy thus far to give the Oopsies a whirl -- can you tell me in what ways they are different than the original Atkins Rev Rolls as far as taste, texture, etc. What specifically is different about these that made you a convert?

Thanks!
-(Lazy) Susan
Old 01-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #846
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bunnymuffin
Stats: 287/205/Trophy Wife
WOE: Heck if I know at this point!
Start Date: June 5 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswalker1992 View Post
Hehehe! Around our house I have heard the kids play with action figures. They weren't saying, "pew pew pew" though. They were saying, "****** ****** ******"! Had to help them come up with better action figure noises.
OMG! Funny! I had a problem with BFF's teenager calling ppl a ****** when he stayed with me. That day I came up with a new house rule, if you can stand there, look me in the eyes the entire time and tell me what exactly a ****** is, then and only then can you use the world in my house. So far not one of five teenager boys I occasionally have in my care have had the stones to pull that feat off.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #847
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: s1mon3
Stats: 220/168/145
WOE: Clean Eating/Cal & Carb Cycling
Start Date: July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
I've been too lazy thus far to give the Oopsies a whirl -- can you tell me in what ways they are different than the original Atkins Rev Rolls as far as taste, texture, etc. What specifically is different about these that made you a convert?

Thanks!
-(Lazy) Susan
Basically it does not seem like you are eating air, and they do not crumble when you bite into them. Like everyone else has mentioned the are so versatile and hold up to just about anything. This morning I made an toasted grilled egg, cheese and sausage mcmuffin. For lunch I went out and bought a Whopper. I tossed their icky bread and ate it on a oopsie roll! I added onion powder, parmesan herb seasoning and chives to the batch I made today and it was good!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. I made the Atkins rolls one time. I decided to make these last night around 12am and already I have made 2 batches! You have to try them.

HTH
Old 01-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #848
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LovesDivine
Stats: 175/175/145
Start Date: 2/4/2013 (restart again)
I am a double batcher, and the bottom half is runny. But that works for me cuz I made 6 round ones from the top of the batter and pour the rest on another cookie sheet and slice 6 squares out of that.

I had soft tacos friday night and was in heaven!!

I added dijon mustard to the batch I just made. I forget who posted that, but it was on the main board in the what to cook for Super Bowl thread. She makes pigs in a blanket with this. Sounded yummy to have the extra zing of mustard, so I did it!

I have bacon defrosting. I am drooling thinking about a blt...

Lisa
Old 01-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #849
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lcoldtimer
Stats: 145/136/120
WOE: atkins72
Start Date: aug 98
Tip for oopsie rolls

Cleo,I just love your version of the rev.rolls.I found something that works great for storing them.I placed them in tupperware after they were cooled off then placed a piece of regular bread in the container with them.It has kept them from getting mushy or damp.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #850
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Help guys!

I have made the Oooopsie rolls several times. What I am getting is a light, airy, meringue-roll and doesn't hold up, let alone roll around something.

So, what am I doing wrong??

I am getting those egg-whites very stiff, and I am not deflating them when folding. But my rolls are NOT sturdy.

Please give me some pointers to make them more like buns and less like meringue?

Thanks!!
Old 01-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #851

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I made sweetened dark Dutch chocolate Oopsies. I made a dessert sammich by sweetening my Fage Greek Yogurt w/raspberry Davincis and sandwiched this between two with some sliced strawberries. Yummy!
Old 01-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #852

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
Help guys!

I have made the Oooopsie rolls several times. What I am getting is a light, airy, meringue-roll and doesn't hold up, let alone roll around something.

So, what am I doing wrong??

I am getting those egg-whites very stiff, and I am not deflating them when folding. But my rolls are NOT sturdy.

Please give me some pointers to make them more like buns and less like meringue?

Thanks!!
They are not bunlike MG-think soft meringue roll-kind of a foamy texture-light but it can hold a burger.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #853
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: RealFoodLiving
Stats: 218 /158/118
WOE: LC / Working towards renewed health
Start Date: July 11 2007 / LC RE-start: Nov 2010, JUDD 1/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
They are not bunlike MG-think soft meringue roll-kind of a foamy texture-light but it can hold a burger.
Thanks Lisa,

But there is no way these babies can hold anything. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong???
Old 01-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #854

Maybe you need to pile them higher to make thicker ones? Also did you use the full 3 oz of cream cheese per 3 eggs? The extra cream cheese is what makes them supple.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #855
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Yolande
Stats: 223/200/150 5'2
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
I tried using the Xanthan Gum in both batches by adding a little more than 1/8th tsp to the whites, along with the cream of tartar. The whites beat up VERY stiff and held their texture much better during the folding process. They didn't break down at all and there was no liquid in the bottom of the bowl like I sometimes get, so I was pleased with that. I thought the rolls also had a little more consistent, better texture.

I thought I had it down pat but now reading your post I found that I put the 1/8 teaspoon Xantan gum in the yolks and cream cheese mixture, instead of the whites.
My mistake.
I whipped it senseless and it turned into fluffy pale yellow thick foam. It stayed on the surface of the whites when I went to mix it and did not dribble to the bottom. It folded very nicely and came out looking very nice. I wonder if I should keep it this way, plus doing your whites with Xantan too.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:22 PM   #856
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mslaster
Finally Tried 'Em

Thanks Cleo for the recipe and thanks Jen for posting that picture of your rolls. My hubby even loved them. We ate the whole batch in one sitting. They were great. I did have my doubts, but I am NOW believer.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:06 AM   #857
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MackAttack
Stats: Goal: 140
WOE: Atkins [Extended Induction]
Start Date: 1/26/08
alrighty then...so I just tried making these. well they're in the oven as I type this. They've blown up to twice their size. I may have done something wrong but I dont think I did. At least I hope I didnt. anyone else have this happen?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #858
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
mslaster-- I am so glad these have ended up being a good thing! My hubby and kids keep eating mine. It cracks me up... unless I'm hungry. Then my stomach grumbles and I have no buns left.

Mack--they get bigger and then they deflate. It's very normal!

To all the gum-users: I don't use xanthan gum. They are what they are. They're oopsies! LOL
Old 01-28-2008, 07:13 AM   #859
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I used Thick'nThin (which is a mixture of gums) instead of xanthan--added a half tsp to my 8 whites just as they reached the peak stage--added it to the 8 yolks and a tub of FF cream cheese--got 17 oopsies at 48 cals each--they were definitely much more substantial and puffy--I managed to slice one in half and use it as a sandwich--
Old 01-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #860

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Wow..I'm going to try the Thick'nThin with my next double batch.. Thanks for the advice.

For those who missed this, I made an Oopsie pie crust..baked it, cooled it, and put in some SF pudding..Easy and yummy..I just used 3 eggs, but Pammed my pie pan really well.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #861
something there

Very cool, ouizoid! I have thicknthin. I might try that sometime!

I tend to hork it for chowders, gravies and soups. I never tried it with anything else. I like thicknthin because it contains no appreciable calories or carbs, and I don't have to keep corn starch in the house any longer!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #862
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Do you still have some and how did it hold up doing the crust with Oopsies? I am thinking about doing me one..How did you do your SF pudding to make it LC?

Thanks and HUGS
Christina
Old 01-28-2008, 09:26 AM   #863
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
I wanted to thank you Cleo for this recipe...I ended up making your recipe but followed another poster's idea with the xantham gum (since I had it on hand). I believe the oopsie was a little more sturdy. I cut it in half and made a buffalo burger! I did only make four instead of six with the mozzarella on top. Great recipe!!!

PS I love your website!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #864
something there

babydollsea-- thanks so much for your kind compliment on my site! I am so glad you stop by!

Woohoo on your oopsie success!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #865
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolande View Post
I thought I had it down pat but now reading your post I found that I put the 1/8 teaspoon Xantan gum in the yolks and cream cheese mixture, instead of the whites. It stayed on the surface of the whites when I went to mix it and did not dribble to the bottom. It folded very nicely and came out looking very nice. I wonder if I should keep it this way, plus doing your whites with Xantan too.
~Yolande~ That sounds like a winner, too...I'll give it a try with my next batch and see what happens. I was pretty impressed that there was no runny yolk mixture in the bottom of the bowl when I added the Xanthan Gum to the whites, but maybe you've just hit on the right way of it!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #866
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I used Thick'nThin (which is a mixture of gums) instead of xanthan--added a half tsp to my 8 whites just as they reached the peak stage--added it to the 8 yolks and a tub of FF cream cheese--got 17 oopsies at 48 cals each--they were definitely much more substantial and puffy--I managed to slice one in half and use it as a sandwich--
~ouizoid~ Are you using ThickenThin not/Sugar or ThickenThin not/Starch?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #867
something there

I don't have runny yolks without the xanthan gum. Maybe it's the climate in Denver?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #868
Senior LCF Member

~Cleo~ I was on your blog last night and was laughing so hard DH came over to see what the ruckus was about. I sent him a link to the Ding Dong story and he was laughing pretty hard too. You are FUNNY, girl!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #869
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: farley109
Stats: 174/165/145 5'5 39 yrs
WOE: all of the above...mainly 20 carbs or less per day
Start Date: October 4, 2004 And Again 1/8/06 and again 9/10/07
[COLOR="Magenta"]How many can I eat before they become UNINDUCTION friendly??? I've made these twice now and I get 9 or 10 rolls. I cook them on my Pampered Chef stones and they NEVER stick!! But then I eat at least 4 as soon as they've cooled!! I even had Peanut butter on one and OMG!! My DH loves them too....And of course he isn't low carbing!! [/COLOR]
Old 01-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #870
something there

LOL! Well, unfortunately, there is no peanut butter on induction. If you're following '71 or 1992, there is no limits to cream cheese. On Atkins 2002, the limit is 3-4 ounces of cheese per day.