Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #721
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I just wanted to say that this thread has over 15,000 page views.

That's a lot of bun-lookers.

mac-- I tried rolls and wasn't terribly happy with them. I ended up with delicious popovers, but not rolls! You could try it and see what you thought-- just use enough to make 4 buns, and try to make rolls with the rest of the batter.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #722
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shadowzip
WOE: M & E/Low Carb
Start Date: 2/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
Man, I can't even mix a double batch together evenly and you mixed a quadruple batch?!!!!

I wouldn't even think that 12 egg whites would all fit in one bowl after they're whipped up. You must use a HUMONGOUS bowl for the whites!

Got any tips?

My KitchenAid will whip 12 egg whites at once. I have done it before for an angel food cake. I have only done double batches of the oopsies so far and they mixed up just fine. I might have to try the quad-batch next time.

Last edited by shadowzip; 01-22-2008 at 04:36 PM..
Old 01-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #723
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowzip View Post
My KitchenAid will whip 12 egg whites at once. I have done it before for an angel food cake. I have only done double batches of the oopsies so far and they mixed up just fine. I might have to try the quad-batch next time.
Well yeah, if you're one of those lucky devils with a KitchenAid stand mixer! Show off! I'm so jealous. Us mere mortals in the kitchen with our regular little hand mixers would have a lot tougher time whipping up 12 egg whites at once!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #724

Guess what, I figured out why I couldn't evenly mix up my double batch yesterday. I used 6 whites and 6 yolks but forget to double the cream cheese and only used 3 oz of cream cheese. DUH! I'm surprised they came out as good as they did.

Today I made a double batch but used the right amount of cream cheese and they were just fine!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #725
something there

Dudette, I do better with my hand mixer than the Kitchenaid. I think it's because the Kitchenaid bowl is so deep that is causes me issues when I try to fold in the egg yolk mixture.

LOL. Sounds like you tried to make your own, new oopsie of an oopsie!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:16 AM   #726
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoSugarGrams
Stats: 178/162/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: June 2004
Good Morning,
I made some this past weekend and they came out looking beautiful and golden brown!! However, for me, that spongy texture thing is going to take some getting used to.

I had one with sweetened cream cheese and cinnamon this morning. That was good!
with my coffee, just like having a danish.

Dreamchaser....
Quote:
new oopsie of an oopsie!
I was going to say the same thing. Lots of spin offs can come from this!!
Plus, variations are all over the Internet.

I even found one on Linda Sue's that used the 3 ounces of cream cheese but with an extra egg white. I wonder how that would do with an extra white.

I have to admit, I am not crazy about all the work and clean up involved in these. But, carry on everyone. Lots of great brainstorming going on here.
That is how new recipes are born!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:25 AM   #727
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
What I like best about this recipe is that for the price(nutrition wise) of eggs and cream cheese you get a bread or Danish. No guilt. I eat an entire batch at a time for breakfast!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:40 AM   #728
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
Well yeah, if you're one of those lucky devils with a KitchenAid stand mixer! Show off! I'm so jealous. Us mere mortals in the kitchen with our regular little hand mixers would have a lot tougher time whipping up 12 egg whites at once!

No Bragging here, If I wanted to brag I would have told you I whipped them up by hand.
I highly recommend saving your pennies to get a Kitchen Aid no matter how long it takes. I have had mine since 1983. With only a couple of minor repairs($2.99 each), That was replacing the brushes after I overloaded it with 3 batches of cookie dough at once. My husband repaired it for me. I really put it through the ringer too. My cousin once told someone that everytime she was at my house I had that Kitchen Aid humming
I am impressed with you doing A double batch with a hand mixer
Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 AM   #729
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Yolande
Stats: 223/200/150 5'2
Is your Kitchen Aid very noisy? I just bought mine last fall at Costco and I find it very noisy. Not that I mind when I can pour half a container of egg whites in it. Yesterday for the first time I put it up to 10 power and those whites were so stiff it was scary.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #730
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolande View Post
Is your Kitchen Aid very noisy? I just bought mine last fall at Costco and I find it very noisy. Not that I mind when I can pour half a container of egg whites in it. Yesterday for the first time I put it up to 10 power and those whites were so stiff it was scary.
I don't feel that it is very noisy, but maybe I am just used to it. It is not as noisy as my blender.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #731
aka fuelmanswife

Gallery: Beth1121
Stats: -20
WOE: VLC
Start Date: August 2010
Quote:
No Bragging here, If I wanted to brag I would have told you I whipped them up by hand.
I highly recommend saving your pennies to get a Kitchen Aid no matter how long it takes. I have had mine since 1983. With only a couple of minor repairs($2.99 each), That was replacing the brushes after I overloaded it with 3 batches of cookie dough at once. My husband repaired it for me. I really put it through the ringer too. My cousin once told someone that everytime she was at my house I had that Kitchen Aid humming
I have to second this. My Kitchen Aid is my most used appliance. It is worth every penny. You can get all kinds of useful attachments. I use mine almost every single day...sometimes several times a day!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #732
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelmanswife View Post
I have to second this. My Kitchen Aid is my most used appliance. It is worth every penny. You can get all kinds of useful attachments. I use mine almost every single day...sometimes several times a day!!!
Howdy fellow Kitchen Aid groupee.
I have two bowls with covers So I can mix something up while one bowl has something in it. I forgot to add above another thing I have had to replace is the regular beater. I have worn the vinyl coating off of two of them.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #733

Quote:
Thanks! I'm sure I'm not the only double batcher, hand mixer girl out there though!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #734
something there

Soggy rolls will be faboo within 15-30 minutes when left on the counter to air out.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:40 PM   #735
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pamk
WOE: Atkins, Shut my mouth
Start Date: Too many times to mention
Twinkie?

Last night I was craving something sweet and had nothing in the house that wouldnt sabotage my woe. I started nibbling on one of the flatter "failures" from earlier trials and the taste reminded me of a twinkie! It was soft, spongy and sweet. So I took Ready Whip and made a line down the center of one and rolled it up, tasted pretty darn close to a twinkie! Not bad for about 2 carbs.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:51 AM   #736
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoSugarGrams
Stats: 178/162/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: June 2004
OK.........these are beginning to grow on me!!!

I just made the last two into a bacon and egg sandwich for breakfast!!
OMG.......never would I have thought.......Delicious and hit the spot!!

I am gonna make more this weekend. Oh, and mine came out picture perfect. Storing them in the fridge in a baggie. They did get a little soggy.
I let them sit out like you said, and voila!! It worked.

Next time, I will put a paper towel between them or something.
I am getting used to the spongy texture now also.

So, my advice is to just keep trying. I do wish they were a little easier to make though.

BUT...all Good Things Take Work!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:35 AM   #737
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
Pamk, you are a genuius. I ran right downstairs to my fridge, grabbed an oopsie roll, sprayed whipped cream down the middle, and ate it. Delicious. Very much like a Twinkie. I can't believe how good it is. I always make my oopsies extra sweet anyway, because I am a sweetaholic. Once the oopsies are made, this will be a terrific quick snack or dessert for those impulsive minutes when you HAVE to have something sweet. Thanks Cleochatra for the recipe and PamK for the Twinkie.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:57 AM   #738
something there

Here is something else I made last night (and thank you for the continued feedback, Soobee, NoSugarGrams and pam!)

These are better than real cream puffs. I'm serious! Knife and fork and delicious.

Revoloopsie Cream Puffs

You'll need:

2 revolooopsie rolls
Sugar-Free/ Fat free Cook and Serve Jell-o pudding
High-fat milk
Whipping cream
2 packets Splenda

Make the pudding according to box instructions, using full-fat milk in place of the fat-free milk. Next, mix the whipping cream with Splenda until stiff peaks form. Place both in the refrigerator until the pudding sets up just enough to where it is still warm, but solid.

On a plate, place a Revoloopsie roll. Place a dollop of chocolate (or other flavor) on the roll. Top with a second roll, and place a dollop of whipped cream on top of this. If desired, garnish with sliced strawberries.

Net carbs is 8 grams for slightly less than a quarter cup of pudding, less if you use less.

This recipe is not induction-friendly, unless whipping cream is the only item used, and even then, make sure amounts fall within acceptable induction limits.

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #739
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helens
Stats: Biggest/Big/130
WOE: Atkins Induction 1-21-08
Start Date: June 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
Here is something else I made last night (and thank you for the continued feedback, Soobee, NoSugarGrams and pam!)

These are better than real cream puffs. I'm serious! Knife and fork and delicious.

Revoloopsie Cream Puffs

You'll need:

2 revolooopsie rolls
Sugar-Free/ Fat free Cook and Serve Jell-o pudding
High-fat milk
Whipping cream
2 packets Splenda

Make the pudding according to box instructions, using full-fat milk in place of the fat-free milk. Next, mix the whipping cream with Splenda until stiff peaks form. Place both in the refrigerator until the pudding sets up just enough to where it is still warm, but solid.

On a plate, place a Revoloopsie roll. Place a dollop of chocolate (or other flavor) on the roll. Top with a second roll, and place a dollop of whipped cream on top of this. If desired, garnish with sliced strawberries.

Net carbs is 8 grams for slightly less than a quarter cup of pudding, less if you use less.

This recipe is not induction-friendly, unless whipping cream is the only item used, and even then, make sure amounts fall within acceptable induction limits.
GGGRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN !

If I didn't know better I'd think you were pushing these for profit! I logged in and the first thing I saw was that huge picture of your cream puff!

I'm eating a BLT on an oopsie for breakfast, along with one oopsie with bacon, tomato and melted cheese on top. YUM! I was just gonna have one of them, but couldn't make up my mind!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #740

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
OH CLEO!! What have you DONE! That is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #741
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: FatFatnomore
Stats: Fat/Less Fat
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: October 26, 2007
OMG, that looks INCREDIBLE
Old 01-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #742
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: StacyW
Opened up a can of chopped ham (somehow when I picked up tuna, that was in there and I didn't see it. ), mixed it with mayo. Threw it on a roll with lettuce and tomato. Great ham sandwich.

I can't wait to try the Twinkie and the cream puff.

I think that I am going to fry one up and top it with taco toppings for dinner.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #743
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helens
Stats: Biggest/Big/130
WOE: Atkins Induction 1-21-08
Start Date: June 2007
~jswalker~ What a great idea...TACO'S! Can't wait to try that one, too!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #744
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: HaleysNana
WOE: Sugar Free...one day at a time!
Start Date: 4/12/04
I made my first batch last night after reading for first 4,782 pages of messages on this thread and could hardly wait until lunchtime today. I had a BLT with no guilt! OMG this may just save me from future failures!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #745
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: StacyW
You only read the first 4,782 pages? The next 1,013 are the best ones, that's when the recipe ideas start getting really good!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #746
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: HaleysNana
WOE: Sugar Free...one day at a time!
Start Date: 4/12/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswalker1992 View Post
You only read the first 4,782 pages? The next 1,013 are the best ones, that's when the recipe ideas start getting really good!
I'm reading as fast as I can ..... maybe if y'all would type slower??
Old 01-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #747
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pennylovesdarren
WOE: WW points plus
Start Date: March 16, 2012
Ohmigosh! A chocolate cream puff!!! What a delicious picture! You should be a food photographer!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #748
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Boudica
Stats: New Mommy
WOE: Low G.I. WOE
Start Date: Every Day
OMG ~ I just noticed....you're a STICKY!!!!!

WH00TWH00T!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #749
qbu
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qbu
Stats: Never again/getting there/finally!
Start Date: April 5, 2005
OK...I had to try these...my first batch is in the oven now.

So far, they smell good. I still have about 18 minutes left on them though.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #750

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Aw Man! I made a batch after finding my whisk attachment, and the whites whipped up very nice and stiff. they came out great looking, so I tried to make garlic cheese version, I broke one of the yolks so I added it to the batter and used one extra egg white, they whipped up great, folded okay and were HUGE, when I put them in the oven. As they baked they got even bigger, and I thought WOW these are gonna be fluffy. 10 minutes later they deflated to less than half an inch! From 2 inches tall to flop! I guess I'll make pizza with them.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898