Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #601
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: rockysmom
WOE: stay away from the sugar
I just noe tried my first batch.
Must have done something wrong because it ended up more like pancake goup. Way to "runny" to make biscuits
Any ideas on what I might have done wrong ?? Whites not "stiff" enough ?

I poured the batter into a cookie sheet with sides and am trying to see if maybe I'll end up with thin bread or pizza crust .........
timer just set two minutes ago.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #602
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msdee54
Stats: 264/215/160
WOE: Atkins/HHCG
Start Date: July 7, 2009
Hey Cutie glad to see you're doing well...it's been rough for me but thankfully I haven't regained more than 10 lbs and when I do Atkins induction I can quickly lose it.

Thanks for the good wishes Cleo and everyone else , can't wait to get better and make some of these yummy rolls.

Dee
Old 01-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #603
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LeighDear
I made a batch this afternoon....EXACTLY by the recipe.....

The mixture did not "mound" onto my sheets...

I only ended up with 6.....I put 4 on a cookie sheet with parchment, 2 on a cookie sheet with non-stick spray....

The 2 with non-stick, stuck....and are much more fragile than the ones on parchment...

None of them puffed up enough to be able to split them in half.....Though they looked EXACTLY like Cleo's photo.....

I cook a LOT....I've folded egg whites into so many things, not losing volume...it just seemed that the egg yolk/cream cheese mixture was too liquid for the amount of stiff whites....

I didn't soften my cream cheese....though it was from a tub, rather than a block..I weighed it instead of cut it....Maybe that's the problem...

Is there more liquid in tub cream cheese than brick cream cheese?

They taste DELICIOUS....I'm going to put shredded BBQ pork between 2 buns for supper....No matter, they're still WAY fewer carbs than regular buns....
Old 01-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #604
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysmom View Post
I just noe tried my first batch.
Must have done something wrong because it ended up more like pancake goup. Way to "runny" to make biscuits
Any ideas on what I might have done wrong ?? Whites not "stiff" enough ?

I poured the batter into a cookie sheet with sides and am trying to see if maybe I'll end up with thin bread or pizza crust .........
timer just set two minutes ago.
Sounds like either your egg whites were not stiff and you might have overfolded also. Your final mix will look streaky and not like it is mixed at all-most experts say it only takes 90 seconds to fold egg whites into something.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #605

There is only one way to beat egg whites and to fold them. It's just a matter of learning the technique and dealing with what kitchen machinery you have. Once you learn the technique you can make meringues, sponge or genois cakes, mousses etc. If you are having problems I suggest you read the thread in the Atkins 72 forum-just about everything you can think of is there.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #606
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amazin'Grace
I made them for the first time today, and they turned out like the picture in the first post!!!

YAY!!!
Old 01-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #607
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: rockysmom
WOE: stay away from the sugar

I definitely didn't know how to "fold" I used the "fold" setting on the mixer

but I did cooke the mixture in a large cookie sheet with edges and am now eating it as french toast.
Will try again using the "right" folding method when I have more cream cheese.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #608
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Jebber
Stats: 183.6/168/135
WOE: Low Carb JUDDD
Start Date: 9/14/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinserious View Post
Already made em and ate em.... yup... ALL. :blush: It was my first try and I kept thinking of things to try with them...

Me too! Last night I had the best burger and this morning I ate the rest as pancakes. OMG....I LOVE this woe! I'm going to make more tomorrow and do a Tuna Melt!
Old 01-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #609
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Jebber
Stats: 183.6/168/135
WOE: Low Carb JUDDD
Start Date: 9/14/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I made these yesterday and ate them all today. Delicious. Naturally, I made them sweeter and added cinnamon. They tasted like a light sponge cake. It made me wonder if they would make a good substitute for lady fingers.
OOoo! I bet they would! Tiramisu here I come!
Old 01-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #610

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
There is only one way to beat egg whites and to fold them. It's just a matter of learning the technique and dealing with what kitchen machinery you have. Once you learn the technique you can make meringues, sponge or genois cakes, mousses etc. If you are having problems I suggest you read the thread in the Atkins 72 forum-just about everything you can think of is there.
I'm not having problems with it myself. I made my 1st batch yesterday and it was very successful. But I see a lot of people that are having problems. I wasn't talking about explaining the whole folding technique. Just how many times to fold it. I can see your point but I don't think it would hurt to add those few simple notes to the recipe. It's kind of annoying to have to read a big long thread to find info when you just need a few helpful hints.

I just think it would help quite a few people!
Old 01-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
I'm not having problems with it myself. I made my 1st batch yesterday and it was very successful. But I see a lot of people that are having problems. I wasn't talking about explaining the whole folding technique. Just how many times to fold it. I can see your point but I don't think it would hurt to add those few simple notes to the recipe. It's kind of annoying to have to read a big long thread to find info when you just need a few helpful hints.

I just think it would help quite a few people!
There is no set time to fold or beat egg whites. It depends on your kitchen machinery, the temp outside and in your kitchen, humidity, the size of your eggs and so on. It's a technique you learn and each time you beat egg whites it can be different-once you learn the proper technique you will know by sight how to deal with the situation. There is no certain amount of times you fold either-look at your mix, it should not be deflated or overmixed, again it's a matter of learning a technique. I posted a thread with videos to help http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...-impaired.html
Old 01-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #612

This has been posted before-they won't stand up or absorb anything without falling apart so they're not a good candidate for traditional tiramisu. But what you could do is whip some heavy cream & sweeten it w/sf Kahlua syrup and put this on a sweetened Oopsie Roll and dust w/cocoa powder. You could also sweeten some mascarpone or cream cheese with the sf Kahlua syrup and mix the whipped cream in and dust with cocoa powder.

Last edited by lisabinil; 01-20-2008 at 04:30 PM..
Old 01-20-2008, 04:32 PM   #613
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: StacyW
I made two batches of these today. The first batch I added a little vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and a few raisins. I made these ones specifically to turn into French toast. They turned out really good.

I just finished the second batch. I added a little shredded cheese and some sesame seeds to the tops. They look like they are ready for me to add a hamburger to them. Gonna do that tonight for dinner.

Before today, the last couple of times I have made these buns they have stuck to the pan. I have a theory that I have tested out today and it seems to be the case, I was leaving them to cool in the pan too long. Today I took them out of the pan and put them onto a cooling rack almost immediately and they didn't stick at all.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #614

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-tiramisu.html
Old 01-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #615
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: RoxanneRoxanne
Thank you Cleo!

Cleo I just want to thank you so much for this recipe and all of the help that you've given out. I had a bacon double cheeseburger today that was sooooo delicious! I can stay on induction for a while!
Old 01-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #616

I realize there are many variables that affect the outcome. And that there is no set time. I was just talking about approximations. I thought I had read in one of the posts that cleo only folds it about 10 times. That's the kind of thing I was talking about.

And it's not just the egg whites I'm talking about either. Some people don't know how long to beat the yolks and cream cheese. The recipe says "till smooth". I did my yolks a really long time but there was still little tiny lumps that I couldn't get out so I didn't really think it was smooth. But the recipe still turned out perfect.

Maybe it's not technically the right kind of info to add to a recipe, I don't know. I just can't help think that a few general notes would help out a lot. Maybe cleo wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.

Of course the video links are quite helpful too. But that's only if people happen to see them.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #617

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan8 View Post
You could even sorta roll them up and put a hotdog on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
I tried them for a hot dog roll in my muffin top pan and they didn't roll too well..But, if I free form them on a cookie sheet..making them "thinner", it might work for a hot dog roll..
What do you think, Cleo?
Cheddar Bratwurst with Mustard!!! All I needed was some sauteed onions and sauerkraut!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hot dog bun.jpg (36.2 KB, 404 views)
Old 01-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappl38220 View Post
These are soooo versatile, I just warmed them, put butter and sf maple syrup on them....yummo!!
I added 1 TBS of almond flour to my batch and they turned out purrrfect!
my batch yielded 8 large buns.
I used
3 eggs and whites,
cr of t.
3 oz.cream cheese &
the 1 T. almond flour

I will see if they pass the hamburger test tomorrow.
sappl38220 - How did it turn out with the almond flour? Was there any difference in the batch with the almond flour compared to one without it?

(Please forgive me if you've already answered that. It takes forever to look through all of these pages).
Old 01-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #619
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
LeighDear: These rolls don't puff up. The way you put them in the oven is the way they come out. I would assume that cream cheese in a tub would be too soft to work in this recipe. You'd be better off with regular brick cream cheese. I haven't tried these rolls yet but I've made hundreds of the regular Revolution Rolls.
I'd also suggest that you don't try to cut them. Use one for the top and one for the bottom.

Last edited by jlatislaw; 01-20-2008 at 08:45 PM..
Old 01-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #620
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
All I have atm is fat free cream cheese... would this work?
Old 01-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #621
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Roxanne, I am so glad! I was feeling very badly that the rolls weren't behaving for you during preparation.

Dream-- I never beat the yolks until smooth. They look like lumpy scrambled eggs when I'm done with them. I think overbeating them makes them more liquid which causes the whites to tend to fall more.

I could try to make a video, but I'm not sure how to upload it to the internet.

girl-- you could try the fat-free cream cheese. People have had luck with the lower-fats!

As an aside, I asked Dottielicious to combine all of the threads into one, just because there were so many I couldn't keep up!

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #622
something there

Mine always start out at about 3/4" to an inch pre-baking, and then end up at about 1/2" in post baking. Still, they have been supple and held together well.

I feel terribly when the recipe isn't working out for others! I might try to make a video.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:00 PM   #623
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sandyn
add me to the list of cleo revoloopsie groupies.
I don't like eggs, never was thrilled with the mock danish, flax muffins were ok but a little heavy
THESE ARE SOOO GOOD. I have not made the plain ones yet, but want to try them
My version has banana extract, flax and more splenda added to the yolk
Tastes like banana bread or muffins.
Because I am lazy, I have slowly increased my eggs up to 5 w/5oz cream cheese. I make some on a cookie sheet and put the rest in bread pans. They rise in the oven but then kind of deflate.
Sooo good- has a bready texture and no eggy taste at all.

I don't know what all this talk is about bagging them up and freezng them. Do they really stay uneaten long enough for that to happen??? Mine disappear kind of fast...I hope I don't binge on them!
Old 01-20-2008, 11:04 PM   #624
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarblulu
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: this time: October 2007
I made my first batch of the oopsies this afternoon - and all I can say is WOW!

I whipped the egg whites in my kitchenaid stand mixer. I mixed the yolks, splenda, salt and cold cream cheese in my food processor.

Lightened the yolks w/ a little of the whites, then folded in gently with a spatula.

They came out great! I already ate 2 and can't wait for breakfast tomorrow!

Thanks Cleo for sharing your recipe with all of us!
Old 01-20-2008, 11:29 PM   #625

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
Dream-- I never beat the yolks until smooth. They look like lumpy scrambled eggs when I'm done with them. I think overbeating them makes them more liquid which causes the whites to tend to fall more.
cleo - I pinted your recipe out from LindaSue's site and on hers its says to beat the egg yolks until smooth so that's where I got the info from. I thought hers said the same thing as yours but I guess she worded it a little different. Mine turned out great but I'll beat them less next time. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:02 AM   #626
something there

sandyn-- I am so glad you like them! I don't have mine long enough to freeze. Just as long as you remember it's 5 ounces of cheese, and you're eating your limits for the day according to your low-carb plan, you should be ok. I always have mine with some form of meat or fat, so I think they're self-limiting for that reason. Thanks so much for your kind words and your feedback!

lowcarblulu-- I love hearing the different ways you can make these! A food processor. Cool! Thank you for sharing your procedure! Let me know what you have for breakfast!

Dreamchaser-- I've found out that I have a better time when I don't mix the yolks until smooth. It's just easier to fold in. I've never had issues with the whites unless I tried to beat the yolks into a smooth liquid. It's tricky mixing that much egg yolk in with whites sometimes, so I've realized that leaving the yolk batter lumpy has made a difference. On my blog, in the "Sailor Moon" pictorial, the yolks are still lumpy, like runny scrambled eggs. It's not pretty, technically, but it works best for me.

Thanks for letting me know! If you have good luck beating yolks until smooth, then that's great! If you don't, go lumpy.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:45 AM   #627
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Shimmer
Stats: 245/229/140...22/16/12
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/1/01
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I've jumped on the Oopsie Bandwagon, made them with Montreal Steak Seasoning--yum! I'm having an honest-to-goodness hamburger I can hold in my hands tonight, can't wait![/COLOR]
Old 01-21-2008, 05:36 AM   #628
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Well, I'm thinking they don't have to stay together very much in tiramisu. And they are filled with holes that would let in the filling, even if they don't actually absorb the filling in the tradtional way. I will try them with glucomannan puddding just to see.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:07 AM   #629
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoSugarGrams
Stats: 178/162/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: June 2004
There is a great recipe over at another forum for tiramisu.

It was posted by ElleH...and she used Rev Rolls.
I don't think I am allowed to post a link. But it is over at
Active LC.....you might want to check it out.

Recipe section, under sweet treats.

Man, who says this woe is boring and you can't eat anything good???

NOT Me!!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:08 AM   #630
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TAMYRAJEAN
Stats: 282/250/141
WOE: LC & must watch Calories
Start Date: Restart 1/05/09
I made them for the first time this weekend! YUMMY!! Try adding a 1/2 of Onion Onion (Tastefully Simple). This gives them a mild onion flavor of an onion bun that was great with my cheese burger.