Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 07:12 AM   #331
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: H20Goddess
Stats: 181/140/140, 5'9
WOE: LC / Whole Foods
Start Date: Jan 10, 2005
Sorry if this question has already been asked, but can these be toasted? I'm imagining them toasted with butter and some sugar-free jelly....yum..

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2008, 07:14 AM   #332
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 2BabesMama
WOE: Back to LC 12/30/11
Start Date: LCing 6/1/03
Yes, it is the thinner air. We are all supremely funny here. It's true.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:16 AM   #333
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
I have a question for all of you. Do you actually get your whites from real eggs that you separate or can you use the egg whites in a carton?
I can't wait to make them this weekend.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #334
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miraclemom
Stats: 270/???/175
WOE: Healthy eating
Start Date: June 2004
I had these last night with hog dogs. I waited for the rolls to cool and the I smashed them flat and the stuck a hotdog on them and roled it. It turned out perfect and yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
I tried them for a hot dog roll in my muffin top pan and they didn't roll too well..But, if I free form them on a cookie sheet..making them "thinner", it might work for a hot dog roll..
What do you think, Cleo?
Old 01-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #335
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKI30 View Post
Please help!!! I have tried to make theese twice and both times ended up with something that resembled soup both times what am i doing wrong? How long do you normally beat the egg whites...can you add to much cream of tartar?? I would love any pointers
Thanks
Got this from a cooking website . . .

Beating Egg whites into submission:
The first step is that the bowl and beaters should be absolutely clean. If there is a little oil residue in the bowl or a little hint of yok in the whites, it will interfere seriously with the formation of air bubbles. The bowl should also be dry as water will inhibit the formation of the foam. Beating the whites at room temperature: the proteins in the whites expand better when warm, soul you will bet better volume from the eggs. Older eggs also whip more easily because of chemical changes that have taken place as they aged.

You should start with a pinch of salt in the whites, which will help firm up the proteins, About a quarter way through the beating process, you add an acid to the foam, which stabilizes it and helps keep the bubbles from bursting when you stop beating. Most people use cream of tartar, but on or two drops of lemon juice or vinegar will work as well

You shouldn't bother whipping egg whites by hand unless you have a copper bowl.

If you are using a hand mixer, beat the whites and salt for two minutes at medium speed, add the acid and beat for two minutes more at hight speed. If you add sugar at the end, beat for 30 seconds. (if you underestimate time like I do, use a timer, it is longer than you think)
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 01-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #336
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Cleochatra's Revoloopsie Rolls (home-made hamburger buns and more)

These induction-friendly home-made hamburger buns have been cradling Red Robin Burgers and Wendy's Baconators in my sweet, sweet hands since 2007 with great success.

The recipe, now published in an insert of the Denver Post/Rocky Mountain News, is being hailed with great enthusiasm by low-carbers and non-dieters alike. I'm so lucky!!!

And it all began from an accident... one day, genius scientist and mild-mannered citizen Bruce Banner was in the lab one day... wait. Wrong story...

Here. Look at the result. Give these a try!

My family keeps eating them.

Cleochatra's Best Ever RevolOopsie Rolls

3 large eggs
1 pkg Splenda
dash of salt
pinch of cream of tartar
3 ounces cream cheese (not Tbsp!) Do not soften!

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt, and cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture). Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store them in a bread sack or a ziplock bag to keep them from drying out.

Makes 6@ about 85 calories a piece, >1 carb per

The recipe has been popular here at LCF with several threads from very clever members who use these for everything from low-carb french toast, to lamb gyros, to paninis to pizzas, to a base for strawberry shortcake. Some use them to make low-carb danishes, and others use add-ins for different flavors.

Some links:

The original blog about these, the background story
Making these with a pictorial
The Denver Post/Rocky Mountain News Insert (Go, low carbers!)
Oopsie roll thread #1
Oopsie roll thread #2
Oopsie roll thread #3
Lamb Gyro recipe using oopsie as a gyro--bottom picture

I've lost 131 pounds

My rinky dink blog for thinky thoughts and things of absolutely no consequence.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:36 AM   #337
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/restart 201/193/145 5'3 3/4"
Chocolate Chip Coopies

Yesterday, when I was at Wal-mart, I wondered if I could make chocolate chip Coopsies. These taste wonderful although they are more the texture of a choc chip muffin. Still delicious.

The extra carbs: 2 Squares 85% cocoa Lindt chocolate 4 carbs/1.5 fiber=2.5 net carbs.
1 TBS. Diabeti Sweet 12.9 carbs/12.6 Sugar Alcohols=net .3 carbs

I made 12 cookies so roughly .25 carb extra per Coopsie.

When I put these on the pan, they were nice and airy but deflated during baking.

Into the egg yolk, I mixed 1 Tbs. Brown Sugar Diabeti Sweet, 1 teasp. vanilla, and 2 Squares chocolate finely chopped.

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."-Thomas Edison
"I never failed once. It just happened to be a 2000 step process"-Thomas Edison
"It's never too late to be who you might have been"-George Eliot
Dream it, talk it, live it. -Rose Fitzgerald

Last edited by GardenGirl639; 01-17-2008 at 08:16 AM..
Old 01-17-2008, 07:36 AM   #338

It may sound silly, but since I have this egg white powder, I think I might add a couple of eggs worth extra to my whites so i will have more white to fold in. I always seem to get some wet deflation in the bottom of the bowl, so this will allow me more foam to stir in so I don't have to use the runny stuff. I know, I should practice my whipping, but this is a good as it's gotten in the past five years and I'm running with it ! ;P
Old 01-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGirl639 View Post
Yesterday, when I was at Wal-mart, I wondered if I could make chocolate chip Coopsies. These taste wonderful although they are more the texture of a choc chip muffin. Still delicious.

The extra carbs: 2 Squares 85% cocoa 4 carbs/1.5 fiber=2.5 net carbs.
1 TBS. Diabeti Sweet 12.9 carbs/12.6 Sugar Alcohols=net .3 carbs

I made 12 cookies so roughly .25 carb extra per Coopsie.

When I put these on the pan, they were nice and airy but deflated during baking.

Into the egg yolk, I mixed 1 Tbs. Brown Sugar Diabeti Sweet, 1 teasp. vanilla, and 2 Squares chocolate finely chopped.
That looks REALLY Good!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #340
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Thanks for the recipe. I made these last nite and they looked really good. A couple of them spread to much but Im pretty sure I mixed the whites and yolks a little too much:blush: but Im keeping this recipe on hand! Now fast food nites dont have to be a problem and I can enjoy along with the family. Plus Id have absolutely no reservations about taking them to a restaurant with me and switching..
Old 01-17-2008, 07:40 AM   #341
something there

I use real eggs and separate them out.

I learned how to do this when I was watching Three's Company in the 80's! Jack Tripper went to culinary school and showed Janet how to separate eggs. Even though I never separated an egg until I was probably 20 or older, I remembered Jack Tripper and his egg trick!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #342
something there

I am so glad you like the look of them! I hope you;ll love them as much as I do. I take mine to Red Robin and swap out their buns for mine. These buns hold up to their monster burgers with no problem! Just re-wrap the sandwich and you're good to go.

Now I want Red Robin.

These also work terrifically on Wendy's Baconators (in the picture)--the reason I ended up with these in the first place.

My kids keep taking my buns, so I'm double-batching now.

The flat ones make the best mini pizza crusts and french toast and hotdog/brat wraps! You ended up with the variety pack! You are so clever!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:52 AM   #343
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mallory
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleochatra View Post
IThe flat ones make the best mini pizza crusts and french toast and hotdog/brat wraps! You ended up with the variety pack! You are so clever!
Hey what a good idea..flatten out 2 intentionally for other uses..hehe! Who knew??

Pizza for lunch it is then..
Old 01-17-2008, 08:09 AM   #344
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Christine1
Stats: 180/174/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/07/08
Just wanted you to know I tried the recipe the other night. I was kind of putting off eating them because I'm on egg overload and couldn't face another egg, but last night I had three thin slices of turkey breast plus mayo between 2 of the rolls as a sandwich and I was pleasantly surprised!
Old 01-17-2008, 08:16 AM   #345
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snaggle
WOE: juddd-5:2
Thanks Cleo.
Yeah, kinda ironic that Suzanne Somers ended up becoming a low-carb semi-guru.

And since we are speaking of threes company, my mini-brush with fame: Mr. Roper (when he was still alive!)attended a good friends wedding. He was friends with the groom's family. Another friend who got drunk kept going up to him and asking about Suzanne and John Ritter. He was very annoyed.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:22 AM   #346
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LucilleMcgill
Stats: 238.2/232.6/150 5'2"
WOE: CAD/IF
Start Date: 10/21/2014
The pizza is so good.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #347

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
These are so yummy..and the cream cheese really adds "body" to them..I made some with
shredded cheddar/parmesan/garlic powder mixed in the yolk part last night for a nice garlic cheese roll to go with our chicken salad salad...

I'm going to use a jelly roll pan today and put the whole recipe on it..spread out with parchment paper on the bottom. Then I can cut them into larger squares for hot dog rollup buns.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:25 AM   #348
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Moving On
Stats: 154.5/changing/135
Start Date: July 2006
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Okay. I have mine in the oven right now, but I think I did something wrong. I've never beaten egg whites before. How stiff are they supposed to get? Mine formed peaks and then I added the yolk mixture, but no matter how gently I did it, it still seemed to break down the whites. [/COLOR]
Old 01-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #349
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: farley109
Stats: 174/165/145 5'5 39 yrs
WOE: all of the above...mainly 20 carbs or less per day
Start Date: October 4, 2004 And Again 1/8/06 and again 9/10/07
Holy crap!!! That picture is AWESOME!! I've never tried the REV rolls, but I intend to!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #350
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ImFat
Stats: 168/158/140
Start Date: 03/02/2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianH View Post
Yeah these have a very light taste....I bet they'd make a great grilled cheese!
Yummo
Old 01-17-2008, 08:39 AM   #351
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hockeyfan8
Stats: 188/176/120??
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: 12-26-2007
I wish I could go get some cream cheese!!! We are having some bad weather so I can't go out right now.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #352
hay
Funfetti Freak

Gallery: hay
Stats: 135/132.4/125
WOE: ww
Ok...I know all I talk about are these rolls and specifically mini pizzas-

But I just wanted to tell anyone who seriously used to have a pizza addiction- MAKE these! All I put on them is some mozz. cheese, artichoke sauce, and dried oregano (SO NECESSARY- it really makes all the difference)....they are so amazing.

I'm eating some now with a little ranch dressing as dip-- this used to be such a bad binge food for me- now its healthy and acceptable and seriously..BETTER.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #353
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: CARBBABY
Stats: 152/142/?
Start Date: (June, 28, 2005)
Im making some this weekend. Cant wait...
Old 01-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #354
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
I made my fifteenth batch of these last night and added a heaping tablespoonful of almond flour to the egg yolks, and YIPPEE, I got eight Cloopsies instead of the usual six. I had a meatloaf sammy for breakfast.

Pat
Old 01-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #355
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tinatina
Stats: 223/187/130 5ft3.5in
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by haystar View Post
Ok...I know all I talk about are these rolls and specifically mini pizzas-
But I just wanted to tell anyone who seriously used to have a pizza addiction- MAKE these! All I put on them is some mozz. cheese, artichoke sauce, and dried oregano (SO NECESSARY- it really makes all the difference)....they are so amazing.
I'm eating some now with a little ranch dressing as dip-- this used to be such a bad binge food for me- now its healthy and acceptable and seriously..BETTER.
I have been using the flatout wraps to make "pizzas". Now I'm going to have to try it w/these! Of course, I'm gonna have to make another batch tonight cause I've only got 2 left.

hmmmmmm maybe I'll just put 1/8 tsp of garlic and some oregano into the mix. How are you cooking/baking them?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #356
hay
Funfetti Freak

Gallery: hay
Stats: 135/132.4/125
WOE: ww
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinatina View Post
I have been using the flatout wraps to make "pizzas". Now I'm going to have to try it w/these! Of course, I'm gonna have to make another batch tonight cause I've only got 2 left.

hmmmmmm maybe I'll just put 1/8 tsp of garlic and some oregano into the mix. How are you cooking/baking them?
I bake the rolls regularly.....let them cool. Then, whenever I want a pizza, I just plop it back on the baking sheet, spoon some sauce on it, add the mozz. cheese, then sprinkle some dried oregano on it. I add garlic powder to my rolls instead of splenda so mine are already garlicy Then they go under the broiler for 2-3 minutes
Old 01-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #357
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pherrera
Start Date: Oct. 2005
I am soooo addicted to these rolls!!! I made six muffins and then made a loaf. The loaf looked really nice until it deflated, but that's okay because I it in half lenghtwise and had sub-sandwich!!!! These are so good. I'm out now, but will make more soon as I get home from work!!! I'm also going to try putting some cinnamon in another batch w/Splenda brown sugar. I bet they'll taste like cinnamon rolls!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #358
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: CARBBABY
Stats: 152/142/?
Start Date: (June, 28, 2005)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haystar View Post
I bake the rolls regularly.....let them cool. Then, whenever I want a pizza, I just plop it back on the baking sheet, spoon some sauce on it, add the mozz. cheese, then sprinkle some dried oregano on it. I add garlic powder to my rolls instead of splenda so mine are already garlicy Then they go under the broiler for 2-3 minutes
I love this idea....now I can have pizza with the family.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #359

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyJ View Post
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Okay. I have mine in the oven right now, but I think I did something wrong. I've never beaten egg whites before. How stiff are they supposed to get? Mine formed peaks and then I added the yolk mixture, but no matter how gently I did it, it still seemed to break down the whites. [/COLOR]
In your bowl with the whites, you should be able to hold the bowl upside down and the whites shouldn't move at all.

PLUS..Take a scoop of the beaten whites and fold them gently into the beaten yolks..This will help you incorporate the yolks back into the bowl of whites. It lightens them up, so the folding will be easier and there won't be as much break up.

I use a spatula to "fold"..No stirring allowed..
Old 01-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #360
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LucilleMcgill
Stats: 238.2/232.6/150 5'2"
WOE: CAD/IF
Start Date: 10/21/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucilleMcgill View Post
These rolls are the best. Thank you so much Cleo!

I used one yesterday for a Burger King Whopper!

Other things I've used them for:
BLT
Homemade Bacon cheeseburger
Pizzas
and the Whopper yesterday

There are endless possibilities now.

I love these things.
I forgot about egg salad sandwich and a roastbeef, cheddar and horseradish with mayo sandwich