Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #481
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Carol21950
WOE: Atkins
Pesto Salmon

You'll need:
one piece of raw salmon per person
a jar or tub of pesto

Broil or grill the salmon on one side only. If your fish has skin on one side, put this side up first. When done on the first side, turn the fish over, smear pesto all over the uncooked side, and continue grilling or broiling until done on this side. That's it!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #482
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Carol21950
Fancy Cheap Steak

1 flank steak, 1-2 lbs, depending on how many people you're serving (figure 1/4 - 1/2 lb per person)
1 bottle LC Italian salad dressing
1 package herby soft cheese, like Boursin or Alouette

Put the steak on a large cutting board, and with a sharp knife, cut long slashes through the meat in two directions so you end up with a sort of diamond pattern. Do this on both sides of the meat. Flank steak has a definite "grain" so make sure you're cutting across it in 2 diagonal directions, not parallel to it.

Place the steak into a large glass or plastic container that will allow the meat to lie flat. Pour the salad dressing over the meat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Turn the meat over once or twice during this time if the dressing doesn't completely cover it.

When you're ready to cook, preheat your oven broiler and get your broiler pan ready. Take the steak out of the marinade and place it on the cutting board again. Pour the marinade down the drain. Wipe the steak dry with paper towels. Put the steak on the broiler pan and broil it for about 5-10 minutes on one side, depending on the thickness of the meat.

Take the broiler pan out of the oven and turn the steak over so the raw side is on top. Now get that herby cheese and smear it all over the top side of the steak. Put the pan back under the broiler and broil till the cheese turns bubbly and gets a little browned.

When serving, slice it thinly on the diagonal. You can easily see the "grain" of the meat; cut it the other way!

NOTE: Do not overcook the meat. Flank steak is very, very tough, and while the marinade and the diamond slashes help tenderize it, overcooking will turn it into shoe leather. The meat should still be bright pink in the middle.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #483
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cherry Blossom
Stats: 279/261/170 (5'11")
WOE: LC
Start Date: January 28, 2014. R1 1999 R2 2008
Creamy Chicken and Vegetables
(one serving)

Chicken cut in strips (stir fry with cayenne, paprika and chili powder to taste)
3/4 C Frozen mixed vegetables
2 T cream cheese
2 T heavy whipping cream

Mix all together in frying pan and top with grated parmesan cheese. My favorite!

4 carbs/545 calories
Old 03-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #484
Senior LCF Member

I can't remember where I got this recipe but I love it:

Herbed baked eggs

In a frying pan, melt 1 T butter. Add:

Eggs (as many as you want to cook) (salt and pepper them)
1 T Cream poured over each egg
Parmesan and parsley sprinkled on top

Place lid on pan and let cook about 4-5 minutes.

Yummy crockpot roast

Roast
1 pkg Lipton onion soup mix (dried)

Dump onion soup mix over roast and add 1/2 C water to crockpot. Cook roast a good 5 hours or until it is falling apart. Love it!

Last edited by Cherry Blossom; 03-10-2009 at 01:17 PM..
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #485
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Oh man, Cherry Blossom, that Herbed baked eggs recipe sounds so good. Gonna have to take that one and use it Thank for posting.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #486
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Trader Joe's Frozen Meatballs (defrosted)
Trader Joe's Three Cheese Marinara
Trader Joe's Shredded Parmesan.

place meatballs in sauce pan
cover with sauce
heat through
melt cheese on top

yes I make individual servings in the micro
NOM NOM NOM
Old 03-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #487

Ingredients:
Jalepenos
Cream Cheese
Bacon cut into thirds

Directions:
Cut jalepenos in half and remove membrane/seeds (the more membrane/seeds you leave, the spicier it will be)
Fill each hollowed jalepeno with cream cheese and wrap with a 1/3 slice of bacon, use moistened toothpick to secure
Bake on pan with rack at 375 for 20-25 minutes
Old 03-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #488

1 small Jap pumpkin-700g or thereabouts doesn’t matter if its larger, you’ll end up with more roast pumpkin afterwards
150ml coconut milk (the creamy layer at the top of a tin of coconut milk if you don’t shake it is best)
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock (plus an extra spoonful of chicken or vegetable stock powder)
1. Roast whole pumpkin in 200c oven for 1 hour or until soft
2. Remove seeds and peel off the skin, it will come off satisfyingly easy
3. Add pumpkin, stock and coconut milk into blender and blend away

I added a swirl of flaxseed oil but this is completely optional

Variation: add fresh finely grated ginger
Variation: omit coconut milk and add dollop of sour cream and chives
Old 03-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #489

CHEESE BALL

Ingredients
2 boxes cream cheese
1 jar dried beef
2 bunches green onion,chopped

Directions
chop the green onion(just green part)set aside. once cream cheese is soft put it in a bowl,add green onions. chop the dry beef and add. mix it all together and form into a ball,enjoy!!

Servings: 6
Old 03-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #490

Sautee One Medium Onion in butter
Add one bag Trader Joe's pre-cooked shrimp (thawed)
and one jar trader Joe's Alfredo Sauce.

Heat through.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #491
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
[QUOTE=Cherry Blossom;11680025]I can't remember where I got this recipe but I love it:

Herbed baked eggs

Cherry Blossom, this sounds so good. But I was wondering what temp. you'd "bake" them at? Medium heat or medium low, or low? Which? Gotta try these. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #492
Senior LCF Member

Quote: [1. Roast whole pumpkin in 200c oven for 1 hour or until soft

Wow, girl, you have outdone yourself today with these super recipes. I so want to try this. But do you cook it "whole" (as you did say) or do you cut it in half or anything first? Do you cover it with a lid or add any water? I am not a good cook - I only follow recipes. Thank you muchly.

Last edited by islegirl; 03-10-2009 at 07:30 PM..
Old 03-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #493
Senior LCF Member

[quote=islesgirl;11681509]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Blossom View Post
I can't remember where I got this recipe but I love it:

Herbed baked eggs

Cherry Blossom, this sounds so good. But I was wondering what temp. you'd "bake" them at? Medium heat or medium low, or low? Which? Gotta try these. Thanks for sharing.
I cook them on about medium. I don't like the bottom of my eggs too brown and I like the center of the yolk soft (not runny) so this is the temp and time that I get these results.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #494

Quote:
Wow, girl, you have outdone yourself today with these super recipes. I so want to try this. But do you cook it "whole" (as you did say) or do you cut it in half or anything first? Do you cover it with a lid or add any water? I am not a good cook - I only follow recipes. Thank you muchly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3-4 pound pumpkin
cut in half
de-seed
place face down on large backing dish
cover with 1/4 inch of water
bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or until tender using a fork to check
remove from oven and scoop out insides discarding skin
store in refrigerator in a glass mason jar if not used immediately
keeps for five days in the refrigerator

If you try any of the recipes please let us know how they came out!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #495
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Cherry Blossom!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #496
Senior LCF Member

Thank you too Ilpirata!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #497
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SEMO
Start Date: re-restart 09/30/2009
Great recipes

Marking my place
Old 03-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #498

zucchini hash browns

Grated Zucchini
1 tablespoon oil
Salt and Pepper

Salt and pepper zucchini to taste. Heat oil in skillet. Dump in Zucchini and form into a large pancake. Cook until browned on one side, and then flip over and repeat.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #499

Beach Boys pot Roast

Ingredients:
1 beef roast (chuck, top round, about $1.69/lb)
jar of pepperoncini peppers
slivers of garlic

Directions:
Cut some slits in roast and insert garlic slivers. Place beef in crockpot. Dump peppers and all of the juice on top. Crock all day on low....at least 12 hours. For serving, just slice and serve, or make BB's hoagiesWhen cool, fork-shred beef, spread on hoagie (sub) rolls, squirt on some Cheeze-Whiz and pig out!!! Put some of those delicious (now meaty) pepperoncini peppers on the sub too!!
Old 03-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #500

Parmesan Crusted Pork Tenderloin

Ingredients:
2 pork tenderloins (14 ounces each)
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, about 3 ounces
2 tablespoons ground cumin

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Pat the pork dry with paper towels and lightly season it with salt.

3. In a small bowl, mix together the cheese, cumin, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Press the mixture all over the pork, coating it as thoroughly as possible.

4. Place the pork on a rimmed baking sheet or in a shallow roasting pan. Bake for 12 minutes. Turn the pork over and bake for 10 minutes longer. (The pork should be slightly pink in the center.) Remove the pork from the oven, transfer it to a cutting board, and let it rest for several minutes before serving. Cut the pork into 1/2"-thick slices and serve immediately.

Serves 4 .

Per serving: Carbs That Count: 0g; 1.2 total carbs; 1.20g fiber; 13.75g total fat; (6.04g saturated fat); 50.70g protein; 339 calories
Old 03-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #501

Quick Chicken Parm

Quick Chicken Parmigiana
VLC -- Very Low Carb
Carbs That Count -- 5 grams

Chicken "parm" is one of America's most popular dishes, but it always comes breaded and fried. I've low-carbed it here (and slashed the calories) by scrapping the breading but not its essential Italian spirit, nor the oozing melted cheese. This is perfect for a get-it-on-the-table-fast lunch or supper.

Ingredients:
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (8 ounces each)
1 cup marinara sauce
3 1/2 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced

Directions:
1. In a large, deep, nonstick saut頰an, add salted water to a depth of 2" and bring to a boil. Slip the chicken into the water and reduce the heat to medium.

2. Cook until the chicken is just firm to the touch, about 10 minutes. Immediately remove the chicken from the water and pat it dry with paper towels. Season the chicken with salt and ground white pepper.

3. Preheat the broiler.

4. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. 6. Place the still-warm chicken on the baking sheet. Spoon the sauce evenly over the chicken and cover them with the cheese. Broil about 6" from the heat until the cheese is a little bubbly and golden brown. Remove the chicken from the oven and serve immediately.

Serves 4.

Nutritionist's note: Many jarred marinara sauces are very high in added sugars. Check the nutrition labels and buy one that contains no more than 5 grams of carbohydrates per 1/2 cup.

Per serving: Carbs That Count: 5.03g; 6.53g total carbs; 1.50g fiber; 12.41g total fat (5.73g saturated fat); 59.71g protein; 392 calories
Old 03-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #502

Roasted Portabellos on Rosemary Branches

Roasted Portobellos on Rosemary Branches
VLC -- Very Low Carb
Carbs That Count -- 3.5 grams

I've combined three big, highly aromatic components that result in a dish with enough style to be served as a first course or as an accompaniment to something simple like a grilled steak or roast chicken.

Ingredients:
1 pound medium portobello mushrooms
1/4 cup garlic-flavored olive oil
2 large bunches rosemary

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

2. Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp cloth and trim the woody bottoms. Cut the larger mushrooms into quarters and the smaller ones in half. Place the mushrooms in a bowl and pour the oil over the mushrooms. Lightly sprinkle the mushrooms with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss well and let sit for 10 minutes.

3. Remove 1 large sprig rosemary. Scatter the remaining rosemary branches in the center of a rimmed baking sheet to make a large mat for the mushrooms. Place the mushrooms on the rosemary branches. Roast for 12 to15 minutes, until the mushrooms have just softened. (Do not overcook.)

4. Finely chop the leaves of the remaining rosemary sprig. Remove the mushrooms from the oven and transfer them to a platter with some of the rosemary branches. Sprinkle the mushrooms with the freshly chopped rosemary. Serve immediately.

Serves 4.

Per serving: Carbs That Count: 3.29g; 4.71g total carbs; 1.42g fiber; 13.9g total fat (1.89g saturated fat); 3.30g protein; 148 calories.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #503
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: arkiekel
I have spent HOURS reading this entire pile of great recipes - even bought the chili garlic sauce. Thought after all this lurking I'd add a couple recipes I didn't see that I love.

For those nights we WANT to order a pizza we make a skillet pizza. IT all goes very fast so have everything ready to go at the start.

Pizza Night Dippers

Shredded mozarella or italian mixed cheeses
pepperoni
pizza sauce (buy lowest carb you can find)
Oil of your choice (ok, makes 4th ingredient)

Heat medium skillet (I use my least likely to stick skillet since I don't do nonstick) over medium heat.

Coat lightly with oil. Sprinkle cheese to cover bottom nearly. Top with scattered pepperoni slices. Scatter top with more cheese - should still be a thin layer of cheese.

Keep it over heat - not yet - little longer. Should be without moisture. NOW pick edges loose with spatula and flip over. Slide onto plate after few seconds.

I slice it into strips with a pizza cutter and let cool slightly. Dip strips in sauce. Can add other pizza toppings into sauce if desired. I just serve with a salad on the side.

Those Chicken Things (Dana Carpender)
for each serving you need
1 boneless skinless chicken breast - pounded out
1 oz cream cheese
1 green onion - chopped up
bacon slices

Put cream cheese and onion into chicken breast and roll up, tucking in ends. Wrap until covered in bacon (sometimes requires a 3rd hand) and use toothpicks to secure.

Cook until cream cheese just begins to ooze out.

I like these best on the charcoal grill (they become chicken crack) but can be done in skillet or maybe on indoor grill.

I'm sure I have more - but this is all I could think of on the spur of the moment. Keep 'em coming - I have had a hard time finding time to cook complicated recipes so these are a big help. Last time I quit low carb it was because of time being too tight - I think this pile of recipes I printed may save us this time around.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:16 AM   #504
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: arkiekel
1 ingredient recipe!

OK, after posting, I was in a crunch and made another thing we eat fast - not too often, but it ain't bad. LaChoy Chow Mein (yes, that old bipack can). I just do it up in the microwave and eat. Fast, tasty, cheap. There's more than enough sauce in the can if you wanted to add extra leftover veggies it would work out great. Would also be good over some cauli rice or cauli puree (if anybody actually has some leftover).
Old 03-30-2009, 08:48 AM   #505
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lemon
~Stir Fry Chili Garlic Chicken~

~OMG~I made the Chili Garlic chicken with Broccoli.
Wow ,so good but sooooooo HOT!!Call the Firecheif....
It hit the spot and so easy to make.I found the sauce at my local grocery store for $2.19 in the Asian isle.
Thanks for the recipe........
Old 03-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #506
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Parisfox
Stats: 247/..../160
WOE: LC & VLC
Start Date: Re-start 12/01/2013
What can I say, except....YUM...YUM...YUMMO!!

Thanks everyone...this is GREAT!! Am subscribing to this thread.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #507
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Atkins Chick
Stats: I weigh only 1x a month on the 16th
WOE: Atkins/Induction till the last 20 lbs
Start Date: Restarted 4-12-14
bump
Old 04-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #508
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erica L. Butler
Stats: 193/173/197 goal -95-100
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: May 2007
Weird but good:

Pork Rind Nachos:

Put enough pork rinds in a wide, flat bowl-- to cover the bottom.
Sprinkle with a goodly helping of Mexican style cheese.
Place in microwave, nuke for about 45 seconds or until cheese is JUST melting.
Top with two tablespoons of Low Carb Salsa.

If you don't mind adding other ingredients, try:
A dollop of Sour cream
Cut up avocado

Delicious!
Old 04-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #509
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goheels
WOE: Low carb woe
Start Date: January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon View Post
~OMG~I made the Chili Garlic chicken with Broccoli.
Wow ,so good but sooooooo HOT!!Call the Firecheif....
It hit the spot and so easy to make.I found the sauce at my local grocery store for $2.19 in the Asian isle.
Thanks for the recipe........

I made this recently also, and I totally agree on the hotness!! I may have used to much sauce. The next time I'll tone it down.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #510
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goheels
WOE: Low carb woe
Start Date: January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
Sautee One Medium Onion in butter
Add one bag Trader Joe's pre-cooked shrimp (thawed)
and one jar trader Joe's Alfredo Sauce.

Heat through.
Yum, I'm gonna try this soon