Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #451
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: didi
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2007
Scrapdragon, I noticed your woe and am interested in the vegan "problem". I am not vegan or vegetarian, but would like to start eating more vegetarian entrees. Possibly half the time for now. One of my wishes for the new year.

I don't want to offend any vegans, I would just like to know how hard it is to stay lower carb on vegan. I am type 2 diabetic, so maybe this is just a pie in the sky idea for me.

If you ever feel like it, could you start a thread on vegetarian eating that works for lower carb (or doesn't work). I need lots of fat and moderate protein. Or maybe you just want to forget the whole experience

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #452
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Here is a thread that was started in October.

Low-Carb Vegetarian
Old 01-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #453
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the link. Alot of soy opinions, that's why I don't think I could be vegan. I am hypothryroid and diabetic. And my older sis died 15 years ago, at the age of 37, of breast cancer. I want to eat less meat, but love dairy and don't want to give it up entirely.

I love to read all the pros and cons of everything.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #454

Gallery: hadenuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapDragon View Post
Here's my friend Michele's Hoagie Dip - she gets credit because I'd never had it before she made it. For those of you who really miss eating a real italian hoagie, this is the next best thing if you are doing low carb!!

Hoagie Dip - or - Hoagie Salad

Use 3 of the following meats - any combination
1/4 lb. bologna
1/4 lb. salami (I use hard salami)
1/4 lb. turkey breast
1/4 lb. ham
1/4 lb. roast beef
1/4 lb. slicing pepperoni

1/4 lb. provolone cheese
1/4 lb. munster cheese (or american)
2 tomatoes
shredded lettuce
heavy mayo

Dice up all the meats, cheeses and tomatoes.

Non-low carb: Mix everything together (including lettuce) with heavy mayo and eat with italian bread cubes as a hoagie dip.

Low Carb: Mix everything but the shredded lettuce together with heavy mayo and pour on shredded lettuce for a hoagie salad.

It's recommended (if you can wait that long) to make the dip (without lettuce) the night before and let the flavors meld together. Then add the lettuce right before serving if using as a dip.

Yummmmmm!
Loved it! Made it with leftover turkey, bacon, and pep. Ate it in 3 romaine leaf wraps. Mmmmm....
Old 01-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #455
Senior LCF Member

Sorry for the thread jack! Love 3 ingredient recipes!!! Mine always have 4 or more, if you count condiments and flavoring.

I'm thinking creamy spinach with hard cooked eggs...
Old 01-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #456
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ScrapDragon
Stats: 184/174/135
WOE: Atkins Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by didi View Post
Scrapdragon, I noticed your woe and am interested in the vegan "problem". I am not vegan or vegetarian, but would like to start eating more vegetarian entrees. Possibly half the time for now. One of my wishes for the new year.

I don't want to offend any vegans, I would just like to know how hard it is to stay lower carb on vegan. I am type 2 diabetic, so maybe this is just a pie in the sky idea for me.

If you ever feel like it, could you start a thread on vegetarian eating that works for lower carb (or doesn't work). I need lots of fat and moderate protein. Or maybe you just want to forget the whole experience
Well - for starters, my husband was the one that wanted to do Vegan. Not me. I was doing low-carb and was very happy and satisfied with that WOE.

I can't imagine trying to do vegetarian or vegan and remain low-carb. To me it would be like trying to drive a gasoline engine car without putting any gas in the tank and expecting it to continue to drive you to work.

As you know, being a vegan means eating nothing that was ever or could ever be "born." No fish, chicken, beef, pork, etc. Nothing that comes from something that has been "born" - i.e. eggs, milk, butter, cheese, gelatine, etc. My husband who was very serious about it was getting sick after 3 months and even all the vitamins weren't helping. Who can eat that way for very long??

The only things as a vegan you can eat is vegetables & grains - I just don't think our bodies were meant to exist on just that... of course, I'll be the first to admit that my favorite food is pot roast and has been for years! When my husband went vegan, it messed me up completely as far as low-carb was concerned. I was weak and I caved - it was my fault, but his being a vegan & having to cook that type of food didn't help!

My take on it is that if you like low-carb & it works for you & you feel it's healthy, then I wouldn't try to do it as a vegetarian or a vegan.

If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it!

Hope that helps!

People may forget what you did for them,
but they'll NEVER forget how you made them feel!

Visit My Low Carb Blog Today

Follow Me on Twitter
My Facebook Page

Last edited by ScrapDragon; 01-01-2009 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Re-phrased some thoughts
Old 01-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #457
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for answering! I know I can never give up cheese and eggs, I know some can do it, some people thrive on it, don't think I will be one of them.

I just have such a struggle with meat sometimes, though I've had it all my life and love it sometimes, too. I think about this every day.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #458

Gallery: hadenuff
ScrapDragon-I had the hoagie dip again but this time I cut a green pepper in half and stuffed it, topped it with shredded cheese and nuked it for a min. It was great!

The BLT salad is my new fave too!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #459
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DeeLen
Stats: (286.6 before WLS)
WOE: WLS 4/25/06
Bumping this up because I don't want it to go away.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #460
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ScrapDragon
Stats: 184/174/135
WOE: Atkins Low Carb
Cheesy Artichokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenuff View Post
ScrapDragon-I had the hoagie dip again but this time I cut a green pepper in half and stuffed it, topped it with shredded cheese and nuked it for a min. It was great!

The BLT salad is my new fave too!

I am so glad that you like it! The BLT salad is one of my favorites too! We had some friends over last night and I made the Hoagie dip - it's so nice to have a snack/appetizer that everyone can eat. I scooped mine with celery or cucumber. Everyone else used italian bread.

Here's one I'd forgotten about. I love artichokes and I love cheese. This is my idea of a great recipe:

Cheesy Artichokes

1 can Artichoke Hearts
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup shredded mozarella cheese
1 T grated parmesan cheese

Drain artichokes and pat dry on a paper towel. Cut into quarters and arrange in an 8-inch round baking dish. Combine mayo & cheeses. Spread over artichokes. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.

Bake at 325 for 15 to 18 minutes until edges are brown. Sprinke with chopped parsley if desired.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #461
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: luvdanrs
Stats: 243/221.5/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2006
Bump dont go anywhere
Old 01-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #462

Gallery: Ilpirata
With only three ingredients, this salad recipe is super simple. But because there are only three ingredients, make sure that the quality of each is spectacular.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed
8 oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts
1/2 cup chopped unsalted pistachios

1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Preparation:
Cook green beans in boiling salted water to cover, uncovered, for about 4-5 minutes until crisp tender. Drain into colander and immediately run cold water over the beans. Drain again.
Drain artichokes, reserving liquid. Coarsely chop artichoke hearts. Combine all ingredients in medium bowl and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately or cover and chill for 2 hours before serving. Serves 4

I'm not considering salt and pepper ingredients... and a drizzle of olive oil wouldnt' hurt this one either.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #463

BEEF STACKS

This simple recipe can be made with pickled onions or marinated green beans. Browse through your grocer's aisle to find other pickled ingredients you could use; sliced olives would also be delicious.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
1 lb. beef fillet steak
1/2 lb. cheddar or swiss cheese, thinly sliced
12 marinated green beans, plus some liquid, OR 4 pickled onions, plus some liquid

salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:
Prepare and heat grill, if using. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper and cook on grill or under broiler for about 14-16 minutes (medium), until desired doneness, turning once during cooking. Cover with foil and let rest for 15 minutes, then slice very thinly against the grain. Slice green beans very thinly.
Layer beef and cheese slices on each plate. Top with slices of green beans or onion and drizzle with some of the reserved liquid. Serves 4
Old 01-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #464

Melted Pesto Cheese Dip

This wonderful recipe tastes like so much more than the sum of its parts. With just three ingredients and about 10 minutes, you'll have a fabulous appetizer.

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:
1/2 cup basil pesto
1/4 lb. mozzarella cheese, fresh if possible
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. If using packaged cheese, cut into 1/2" cubes and place in oven safe serving dish. If using fresh cheese, slice it and place in oven safe serving dish. Bake at 400 degrees for 4-6 minutes or until cheese begins to melt. Remove from oven and drop pesto by teaspoonfuls over cheese. Top with Parmesan cheese and return to oven for 1 minute.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #465
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
That melted Pesto cheese dip sounds divine. What do you serve it with. Is it a dip? Thanks for the yummy recipes, Kisha.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #466

Quote:
That melted Pesto cheese dip sounds divine. What do you serve it with. Is it a dip? Thanks for the yummy recipes, Kisha.
Its a dip but don't even get it twisted and think I won't just eat it with a spoon! Its amazing with garden fresh tomatoes... I tend to use celery as my dipper as its super lc and somewhat of a free food. Can be served non LC with slices of toast or crackers.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #467
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LECould
Stats: 168/149/135
Start Date: September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinserious View Post
Chocolate Toffee Bar (induction friendly )

1 stick of butter
1/2 c. splenda granular (yes it has to be Splenda and it has to be granular or no "toffee")
1 heaping tsp cocoa powder

Heat butter in a saucepan on med/high heat, allowing it to brown a bit (not much about a golden hue) and bubble. Add Splenda and cook for a few minutes, stirring at 20 second intervals. Then add cocoa powder. Stir constantly and cook a couple more minutes. Remove from heat.

Line a pan with foil or parchment, something to prevent sticking to pan. Pour into pan and freeze.

Notes: Additions can be made to this like PB, raspberry flavor, etc... There really is no limit.

Now, this is in the middle of freezing at the moment, so it very well COULD or NOT set up like coconut butter. When I checked and taste tested it, it was more fudgy with a toffee crunch running through it. YUM!
Just made a batch - it was good, BUT next time I will try it with unsalted butter as the salty taste of the butter kind of over-powered. Still a good "snack".
Old 01-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #468
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Made the Hoagie Dip last week and it was fabulous. It was good after sitting in the fridge a few hours, but waaaaay better the following day once the flavors had time to mesh togehter. Yum, and I'll be making it again (superbowl??)
Old 01-24-2009, 06:19 AM   #469
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mom2dm
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasasota View Post
Orange Chicken

4-5 chicken breasts
1 can diet orange soda
1/3 cup soy sauce

Combine chicken, soda and soy in gallon freezer bag. Refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Basted it every now and then while it is cooking. I have also made this in the crock pot it has wonderful flavor.
Wow, that sounds awesome!
Old 01-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #470
Not Jake

Gallery: Jake
WOE: Plain old Atkins
Start Date: 8/22/1973
2/3 lbs green beans
1/2 pack of cream cheese
Rosemary to taste.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #471
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sweeteater
WOE: Lower Carb
I this thread.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #472
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eaglesmate
WOE: wls , rny
Start Date: rny 5/4/2010
I just had the orange chicken for dinner...the whole family rates it two thumbs up, this one is a keeper for us! thanks for posting it.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #473
Tyl

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesmate View Post
I just had the orange chicken for dinner...the whole family rates it two thumbs up, this one is a keeper for us! thanks for posting it.
i really want to try that... i suppose that will be next week's recipe.

eta: would it be fine if i used chicken tenderloins instead, so its more chinese like LOL... maybe i will find those miracle noodles and see what i can figure out.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #474
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eaglesmate
WOE: wls , rny
Start Date: rny 5/4/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantyl03 View Post
i really want to try that... i suppose that will be next week's recipe.

eta: would it be fine if i used chicken tenderloins instead, so its more chinese like LOL... maybe i will find those miracle noodles and see what i can figure out.

I actually did use tenderloins and I just tossed it all in the crockpot. I'm sure it would be even better if I wasn't too lazy to marinade it first
Old 01-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #475
Tyl

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesmate View Post
I actually did use tenderloins and I just tossed it all in the crockpot. I'm sure it would be even better if I wasn't too lazy to marinade it first
awesome! def making these next week!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #476
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jfarmer1
Stats: 173/161.5/goal 4 now 140ish
WOE: my own LC
Start Date: restart 8/9/10
subing
Old 01-31-2009, 09:29 PM   #477
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OceanDreaming
Stats: 250/174/155
Sorry if this has already been posted. I didn't go through all 16 pages...

ground beef
cream cheese
buffalo sauce

Brown the beef, add cream cheese and cook until melted. Top with Buffalo sauce. Eat. Yum.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #478
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: claymate
Stats: 226/209/175
Start Date: Feb. 2 2009
Subbing...
Old 02-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #479
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDreaming View Post
Sorry if this has already been posted. I didn't go through all 16 pages...

ground beef
cream cheese
buffalo sauce

Brown the beef, add cream cheese and cook until melted. Top with Buffalo sauce. Eat. Yum.
That reminded me of a dip I read about at another website this past week.
sausage
cream cheese
rotel tomatoes
brown sausage, add cream cheese and rotel, keep warm & use as dip for veggies, low carb chips.
I'm betting both of these are soooo yummy, although I haven't made either one yet. Thanks OceanDreaming for the post.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #480
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thisisrightnow
Stats: 240/178.6/150, 5'6", 28
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: 5/10/07 (generic LC/SB), 7/19/09 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs View Post
2 chicken breast halves
1/4 salsa
1/4 cup shredded cheese

Bake uncovered at 350 until the juices run clear. I usually triple this and freeze for later.

~~Gibbs
I pretty much make that but I put sour cream on it too. I also bake the chicken breasts before hand. Then I melt some shredded cheese (I use the Mexican) on the chicken in the microwave and then spread sour cream over it and put a tablespoon or two of salsa. Oh. My. God. It is absolutely amazing. It's one of my favorite things to eat.

Last edited by thisisrightnow; 03-10-2009 at 12:06 AM..