Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2007, 02:20 AM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
There are quiche recipes in the forums and in the recipe room. Most of them are crustless though

Last edited by Yummy's_Girl; 03-15-2007 at 02:33 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #242
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vickigabri
Stats: 145 5'2" goal 120
WOE: any good low carb!
Start Date: low carb for yrs
thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm nameing my next cat linda-sue! you rock my low carb world!
Old 12-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Panda120
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May, 2000
I'd like to get updates on how people are using Carbalose flour. The holidays are coming and new ideas or methods are always appreciated.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helens
Stats: Biggest/Big/130
WOE: Atkins Induction 1-21-08
Start Date: June 2007
Pumpkin Melt-Away Muffins

I've just put together a new recipe for Pumpkin Muffins that are to die for! I know...I'm not supposed to be eating these right now, but had to bake the last of our garden's sugar pumpkins and prep for the freezer. I had a small amount left and just had to use it. I did post this a few minutes ago in the recipe room, but here's the recipe if anyone is interested:

Makes 12 muffins at 10.89 carbs and 99.45 calories each

Spray 12 muffin tins with non-stick spray and set aside.
Pre-heat oven to 350º.

1/4 cup Butter-softened
2/3 cup fresh or canned Pumpkin
1/4 cup Half and Half
1/4 cup Water
2 Eggs
1 1/2 tsp Orange Zest

1/2 cup Xylitol
2 TBSP Splenda
2 TBSP Brown Sugar Twin

Measure and mix together:

1 1/4 cups Carbalose (I measured by gently scooping & leveling)
1/4 cup Wheat Protein Isolate 5000 (I measured by gently scooping & leveling)
2 TBSP Almond Flour
1/2 tsp Not/Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Ground Allspice
1/4 cup Chopped Walnuts

Mix together first six ingredients in a large bowl.
Stir in Xylitol, Splenda and Brown Sugar Twin.
Mix remaining ingredients together, then stir into the web mixture just until completely mixed.
Spoon evenly into the 12 muffin tins and bake about 15 to 18 minutes.
Don't over bake! Muffins are done when pick inserted into center comes out clean. Let sit 10 minutes in pan before removing to wire rack to finish cooling.

lc-pumpkin-muffin-pre-bake.jpg
Before Baking

lc-pumpkin-muffin-baked.jpg
Baked, still in pan

lc-pumpkin-muffin-split.jpg
Baked and split...light and fluffy...they nearly melt in your mouth!

If you try this recipe, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #245
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Taylorman
WOE: Type 2 Diabetic
Start Date: 10/07
Ok- Howdy all- I"m new to the forum- I bumped into it when I was searching for Carbalose recipes. Thanks for all your input and words of wisdom and tips.
So far I have tried 3 recipes - 2 with Carbquik and 1 with Carbalose.....

Oh my- as I write this- I realized I made all 3 with CarbQuik- oops.

First recipe- I made Bialy's with Carbquik from the Tovaindustries website colleciton of recipes.
These did not rise very much at all, were way too salty (I would not add any additional salt if I ever do it next time) and they bakes much faster than indicated in the recipe. I probably won't try those again.

The second recipe I tried were the Apple Fritters. I replaced the apples with Blueberries and the cinnamon with Lemon extract. These fried up beautifully- but were way too oily for my taste. I saved the batter and the next morning - after a little stirring- I was able to make a really nice batch of blueberry pancakes with what was left- and these tasted really good.

Finally- tonight I tried the wont ton recipe. I love wontons- (I worked as a cook in chinese restaurant for 2 summers as a teenager)- but regular wonton skins are very high in carbs. I followed the recipe to the letter (except used carbquik instead of carbalose by accident)- and ended up having to add quite a bit of extra carbquik to get the dough to the right consistency. I was able to roll it out very thin- and make wontons- that fried up to a gold brown- but the texture just wasn't crispy enough for me. Given that I didn't use the right Carb flour- I may try them again with Carbalose and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks again for all your participation in helping figure what is worth making with these new products.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #246
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Taylorman, sounds like you're having fun experimenting! Good for you, looking forward to more of your results.

Helens, if you're still around - I don't know HOW I missed your muffin recipe when you posted it - those look SCRUMPTIOUS! They're on my "must try" list! Thank you.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #247
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nagymom
It looks like there haven't been any posts for a while but I wanted to post this anyway. (I'm a new user and found this site while searching for Carbalose recipes). I "invented" this recipe after seeing a commercial for a "diet" bar. I thought, "Why can't I make my own and save a bundle while being sure it tastes good?".

I admit that I didn't measure much, but it's easy to make so here goes:

Cream 1/2 stick butter with 1/4 cup olive oil (or all of the stick of butter) with 1 cup Splenda. Add 2 eggs and mix well. Mix in 1 tsp. salt, 3/4 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp vanilla and approximately 1 cup oatmeal. I then added Carbalose, probably up to 2 cups, stopping when I had a thick cookie dough consistency. I then creamed a block of cream cheese with an egg.

Press half of the dough mixture into a square baking dish, then spread the cream cheese mixture over top. Spread some sugar free all fruit spread (I used Pollaner's) then flatten the remaining dough and place on top. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 25 minutes (watch to keep from over baking, stop when golden).

I plan to eat a square 30 minutes before meals with a glass of water, as in the commercial.

Jayne
Old 01-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #248
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Subbing!!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #249
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nagymom
Yummy bars

I ate one of the bars that I made last night before dinner (with a full glass of water) and was only able to eat half my usual dinner! I rarely leave anything on my plate. I am hooked on these now (so is my oldest daughter who tried one) and can honestly say there is no "aftertaste" or weirdness to them. I used raspberry spread and may try another flavor next batch, though I love raspberry.

Jayne
Old 02-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #250
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Hey, I'm new too and have my first order of Carbalous flour coming tomorrow. I'm looking forward to trying a lot of these recipes but I may have to order a few more items from Netrition such as Polyd and one of the sugar alcohols. Is one of the alcohols better in terms of not causeing a stall during induction?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #251
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
This is gonna be a silly post, considering all the wonderful things all of you have done with Carbalose....but I used it tonite for the first time! Now, all I did was dredge a flattened chicken breast in it to fry in olive oil to make Chicken Picatta, but MAN! It was good!
I am such a nut when it comes to "off" tasting stuff and I was a bit leery but it really did brown nicely and there was no funny taste.
I have to try baking a bit with it......
I did have one question..I see all the posts for making gravies and sauces with the gums, why not just use the Carbalose?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:13 AM   #252
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Stynger, My thought is that a lot of the earlier posts were before carbalose flour came out. I have read about 50% of this thread (I'm exhausted!! haha) and a lot of the early posts are from people that that's all they had. I'm thinking now, if your not a huge baker, it's just easier to have one multipurpose product. I have just started to use Carbquik and just received my Carbalose flour yesterday so I haven't used it. There are a ton of fabulous looking recipes on this thread that utilize both. I just sent off a big Netrition order to round out my low carb kitchen. I don't know if that answered your question as I am just speculating.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:02 AM   #253
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagymom View Post
It looks like there haven't been any posts for a while but I wanted to post this anyway. (I'm a new user and found this site while searching for Carbalose recipes). I "invented" this recipe after seeing a commercial for a "diet" bar. I thought, "Why can't I make my own and save a bundle while being sure it tastes good?".

I admit that I didn't measure much, but it's easy to make so here goes:

Cream 1/2 stick butter with 1/4 cup olive oil (or all of the stick of butter) with 1 cup Splenda. Add 2 eggs and mix well. Mix in 1 tsp. salt, 3/4 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp vanilla and approximately 1 cup oatmeal. I then added Carbalose, probably up to 2 cups, stopping when I had a thick cookie dough consistency. I then creamed a block of cream cheese with an egg.

Press half of the dough mixture into a square baking dish, then spread the cream cheese mixture over top. Spread some sugar free all fruit spread (I used Pollaner's) then flatten the remaining dough and place on top. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 25 minutes (watch to keep from over baking, stop when golden).

I plan to eat a square 30 minutes before meals with a glass of water, as in the commercial.

Jayne
[COLOR="Blue"]Just wondering about the carb count in oatmeal [/COLOR]
Old 02-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #254
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedov1208 View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]Just wondering about the carb count in oatmeal [/COLOR]

1 cup of dry Old Fashion Quaker Oats is 46 net carbs.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa View Post
1 cup of dry Old Fashion Quaker Oats is 46 net carbs.
Thanks Kevin, yeah, I thought it was high - with 20g carbs to work with in a day now during induction, I'd rather go with veggies for carbs.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:07 AM   #256
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sbwertz
"Multigrain" yeast bread

Multigrain yeast bread

"Multigrain" Yeast bread
2 tbsp active dry yeast
1 ½ cups carbalose flour -- 27 g carbs
¾ cup WPI 8000 -- 0 g carbs
¼ cup pecan meal 6 g carbs
¼ cup almond meal or flour 3 g carbs
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp wheat germ 1 g carbs
¼ cup ground flax seed 3 g carbs
2 tsp sugar to feed the yeast -- 0 g carbs (the yeast eats it)
1 ½ tbsp melted butter or oil
1 cup very warm water

I put all ingredients in my old Wellbuilt glasstop breadmaker in
the order listed and set it on the manual cycle.

I put it in a loaf pan . I raised it for an
hour and I baked it at 375 for 45 minutes.

It came out really nice. I got 16 slices at about 2.5
grams per slice. Nice texture and flavor, rich golden brown color.

You could use all carbasose, but it would add 15 more grams to the
whole recipe, or one gram per slice.

16 slices, 2.5 grams per slice.

I have also made this as dinner rolls (12) and hamburger buns (8).
Old 03-31-2009, 09:45 AM   #257
Junior LCF Member

pumpkin muffins

RE Pumpkin Melt-Away Muffins

I just made these for breakfast. They were great. I made some substitutions for ingredients I had on hand. I used malitol instead of xylitol, diabetisweet brown for the sugar twin, cream for the half and half, pecans for the walnuts, and wpi 8000 for the 5000. I also added 1/4 cup flax meal. My muffin tins are "sticky" so I baked them in paper liners.

They turned out light and delicious.
Thanks for the great recipe

Sharon
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've just put together a new recipe for Pumpkin Muffins that are to die for! I know...I'm not supposed to be eating these right now, but had to bake the last of our garden's sugar pumpkins and prep for the freezer. I had a small amount left and just had to use it. I did post this a few minutes ago in the recipe room, but here's the recipe if anyone is interested:

Makes 12 muffins at 10.89 carbs and 99.45 calories each

Spray 12 muffin tins with non-stick spray and set aside.
Pre-heat oven to 350º.

1/4 cup Butter-softened
2/3 cup fresh or canned Pumpkin
1/4 cup Half and Half
1/4 cup Water
2 Eggs
1 1/2 tsp Orange Zest

1/2 cup Xylitol
2 TBSP Splenda
2 TBSP Brown Sugar Twin

Measure and mix together:

1 1/4 cups Carbalose (I measured by gently scooping & leveling)
1/4 cup Wheat Protein Isolate 5000 (I measured by gently scooping & leveling)
2 TBSP Almond Flour
1/2 tsp Not/Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Ground Allspice
1/4 cup Chopped Walnuts

Mix together first six ingredients in a large bowl.
Stir in Xylitol, Splenda and Brown Sugar Twin.
Mix remaining ingredients together, then stir into the web mixture just until completely mixed.
Spoon evenly into the 12 muffin tins and bake about 15 to 18 minutes.
Don't over bake! Muffins are done when pick inserted into center comes out clean. Let sit 10 minutes in pan before removing to wire rack to finish cooling.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:05 PM   #258
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Sharon, the muffins sound nice. I was looking at your bread. Is it possible to use WPI 5000 in place of the 8000 (or should I use maybe 1/2 vital wheat gluten)? I'm very curious to try your bread. Sounds super!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

P.S. I'm guessing 1 1/2 tbsp (4 tsp) of yeast and 1 tsp baking powder might work similarly to my wholegrain bread?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:43 PM   #260
Junior LCF Member

The original recipe was Helens. I just adapted it to what I had in my pantry.

I don't know on the wpi. I have had the 8000 for a couple of years in the freezer. At the time I bought it, that was the only kind available. I also like the fact that it has a lot fewer carbs than the 5000. But it does make the bread chewy. But we like the thick-crusted chewy european style breads. I have a favorite french bread recipe I am going to try to convert using carbalose and wpi.

Last edited by sbwertz; 03-31-2009 at 06:46 PM..
Old 04-01-2009, 06:13 AM   #261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my, I forgot that Carbalose flour is so high in gluten as well. It must truly be a very chewy bread. Replacing 1 cup of Carbalose flour with oat flour and using WPI 5000 would reduce the chewiness. I know you said you like it (however, I changed the recipe on paper (so far) for my sake), but all I can remember is my first low-carb bread that was made almost entirely out of gluten. It grew and grew like a big ball in the oven and I could practically bounce that loaf on the floor! My husband chewed and chewed on a toasted piece and then I broke up the rest of the loaf into pieces and threw them in the big bird feeder we had. A little racoon moved in. He apparently liked the bread and we could not dislodge him for days!

Here is what Kevin said about the WPI 5000 vs WI 8000: "The WPI 5000 is definitely better for breads as it creates sticky doughs that rise better. The WPI 8000 creates chewiness/structure in baked goods."

With my changes and for 16 slices: 60 calories a slice and 5 g carbs.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Sharon, the muffins sound nice. I was looking at your bread. Is it possible to use WPI 5000 in place of the 8000 (or should I use maybe 1/2 vital wheat gluten)? I'm very curious to try your bread. Sounds super!
I haven't tried this specific recipe, but the 5000 and 8000 are generally NOT interchangeable (8000 is CHEWY!). Subbing VWG for the 8000 in recipes generally works, tho higher in carbs
Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julievan
can someone tell me what ACE_K is got one of my days i know i must know
Old 06-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #264
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julievan View Post
can someone tell me what ACE_K is got one of my days i know i must know
acesulfame potassium (also known as acesulfame-K or ace-K), an intense sweetener that is 200 times sweeter than sugar.

Its the main ingredient in Sweet One.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #265
Resident crazy dog lady

Gallery: sistertzu
Stats: 244/goal -90 Atkins/IF
WOE: VLC/no grain/ minimal dairy
Start Date: originally march 08 but every day is a fresh start
subscribing such good recipes

Sis
Old 07-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #266
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bissonnettemi
is there a good sub for Not Sugar? thinking I should know this but... mind is blank. Isn't it a thickener, like the gums?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #267
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bissonnettemi View Post
is there a good sub for Not Sugar? thinking I should know this but... mind is blank. Isn't it a thickener, like the gums?
not/Sugar is mixture of several kinds of gums. Not/starch is almost the same thing and can be used measure for measure as a sub.....
Old 07-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #268
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bissonnettemi
thanks Kevin... (BTW you're little cutie pie is such a happy baby in those pics)
Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Indychick829
Stats: Highest - 217 / Lowest -160 / Current 170 & happy
WOE: Maintenance - whole foods/fruits/organic meats
Start Date: January 2009. Currently in Maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Carbalose Ravioli

I made this this afternoon..It was wonderful..

Meat Filling:
2 cloves, garlic
1/4 finely chopped onion
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 pound lean hamburger
salt/pepper
1 Tbs. Italian seasoning

In a large frying pan, add the oil, then sautee the garlic and onions until
soft. Add the hamburger, breaking it up into little pieces..add seasonings
and cook until brown..Drain the grease off and let cool a bit while you
are making your pasta..

Pasta:

3 cups Carbalose
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
2 egg whites
2 Tbs. olive oil
1-2 Tbs. of water

I made this in my food processor.........very easy...Add everything except
the water and let it mix until for a few minutes until it is sticking together...
Then add 1-2 Tbs. of water and process until it forms a ball..Then run the
processor..this kneads it..for about 90 seconds..Stop the machine..and
test the dough..If it is elastic, then take it out and knead it a bit by hand.

When you pull your dough apart, it should bounce back together..like an elastic band..Now..wrap the dough in saran wrap or press and seal and
let it rest 10 minutes..

You can roll this out by hand, but it is soooo much easier with a handcrank
pasta machine. Roll it out as if you are doing lasagne noodles..Take 2 of
the noodles..which should be 2-3 inches wide and about 12 inches long..
Put one down and plop about 1-2 tsp. of meat mixture down the middle
of the dough. You might have around 5 plops of meat..Then take the other
big noodle and place it over the top..and press down the sides with your
fingers..Cut each ravioli with a pizza cutter and crimp the sides of the
square with a fork...

This will make around 40 raviolis...at less than one carb per ravioli..You can
also do half raviolis, and the rest pasta..

You can lay the raviolis on a cookie sheet or tray and freeze them..Then
when frozen put them in a baggie..They take about 5 minutes to cook in
boiling water..
oooooh do i want to try this!
Old 03-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #270
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
SAVING