Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 08:31 PM   #211
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I buy polydextrose from netrition.com.

I'm excited. I just tried my old yeast roll recipe using carbalose and it turned out great. Not quite as light as the old version but tasted great--no weird low carb baking mix taste at all. I was really surprised. If anyone is interested, I'll post the recipe but since others have posted theirs, I don't want to be redundant.
I will admit I added 2 tsp sugar for the yeast and 2 packets of yeast. I also allowed extra rising time.
I did not use any vital wheat gluten--just the carbalose. If I do use some of the gluten--like 1/4 cup, should it make them turn out lighter? or will they be chewier? I can be happy with them as it but if I can improve, I will and lighter/less chewy would do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by jackieba; 04-02-2006 at 08:33 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2006, 03:22 AM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ClikChik
Stats: 135/132/110
WOE: LC
Start Date: 9/2/2014
I would love to see your recipe for yeast rolls!
Old 04-03-2006, 06:16 AM   #213
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Yeast Rolls:

1/2 cup Hood 2% milk >both milk/water about 110 degrees
1/2 cup warm water >
1 egg, slightly beaten
3 3/4 cups Carbalose (I measured it then weighed and it came out to 340 grams)
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 tsp salt
6 drops sweetzfree (1/4 cup sugar equivalent)
1/4 cup erythritol
2 tsp sugar (for the yeast)
2 pkgs rapid rise yeast

I use the dough setting on my bread machine. I start bread in the morning so it can take as long as needed. I let it rise in the bread machine till it was to the top of the inside container--longer than the normal cycle. Then I made it into 24 pan rolls (just dividing the dough in half each time till I get that many and roll them into balls). I let them rise 2 hours (I don't know if it really took that long though; I didn't check but they did rise nicely). Then baked at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes till browned. They were almost as good as the high carb rolls.
At 3 carbs each, they're worth the wait.

Next I'm going to try some subbing 1/4 cup wheat gluten for the last bit of flour to see how it does. Then I'll try freezing the extra rolls. It would be nice to be able to just take 1 or 2 out of the freezer when we want it. Even though there's alot of sweetner there, they don't taste sweet at all. My old recipe used a little over 1/2 cup sugar (very high carb recipe but delicious). I'm wondering if what gluten or WPI does better for something like this. I have some WPI 8000 but never tried it or the wheat gluten.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:11 PM   #214
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

After yesterday's success, I'm motivated. I didn't cook all of yest's and put the rest in the fridge but they fell and wouldn't rise again (don't know why; yeast just goes dormant when it gets cold but it doesn't die unless it freezes. In the pre-LC days I even let yeast dough rise in the fridge overnight and it worked).

I made another batch of yeast rolls today, subbing 1/4 vital wheat gluten for the last 1/4 cup flour and added another 1/4 cup Hood milk.

They did rise faster and tasted wonderful. I cooked them all this time and I'm freezing the leftovers. This is the recipe I will stick with.

My husband was in heaven--he didn't care about the rest of the meal as long as he had good bread. Thanks for getting me motivated. If you guys hadn't said yours turned out good, I wouldn't have even tried.

Now I'm pumped to try biscuits again--this time using Carbalose. As I said, I didn't like them with Carbquik so I don't have any great expectations but you never know till you try.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
Start Date: 5/1/2003
Jackieba,

Does your bread machine knead once or twice on dough setting and for how long? Mine does a 10 min knead, rest and then about a 20 min knead. Do you leave the dough in for both kneads if it does two?

Jeanne
Old 04-04-2006, 05:52 AM   #216
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
Start Date: 5/1/2003
Jackieba,

I made these last night and they are wonderful. Tender, and great taste. I only used one knead in the bread machine, turned it off and let them rise till double. Cut rolled in balls and let rise again till about double. Will be so nice to have a roll with dinner once in awhile. I only made half the recipe and got 18 rolls so they are not real big. I put them in muffin pans to bake.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:15 AM   #217
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

JLSheilds,
Glad you liked them. My bread machine only does one knead on basic dough cycle. What you described is called French cycle on my machine but I just used the basic.
I'll buy the Carbalose just for dinner rolls even if I don't use it for anything else.

Jackie
Old 04-08-2006, 08:54 AM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
Jackie, which did you prefer the one with VWG or the one with just all Carbalose? The reason I ask is that the both have almost exactly the same carb count. Also, did you mean you used 1/2 cup instead of 1/4 cup of milk?
It would also great to try WPI. It has almost no carbs and is suppose to have very similar properties to VWG.
I think I may experiment when my netrition order comes. Maybe even subbing 1/2 cup of WPI. Then we could use as sandwich rolls and get the carb count further reduced. 1/2 cup might be too chewy. I know when I used 1/4 cup of VWG in other bread recipes that was just enough. Still, fun to see what we can come up with that is good enough taste and texture without too much carbs.
I'd also like to work in one more egg here, but not sure how much liquid would be reduced. Oh well, I'll just have to experiment a bit.

Last edited by hirezmary; 04-08-2006 at 08:59 AM..
Old 04-08-2006, 09:33 AM   #219
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

On the second batch, I used 3/4 cup warm milk and 1/2 cup warm water. The first time the dough felt drier than normal so that's why I increased the liquid--the dough texture felt better the second time. I couldn't tell any difference in taste or texture between using the VWG or just Carbalose but they did rise better with the VWG. I thought about trying WPI since I have some of the 8000 but was afraid of making them too chewy--I think 70% as much WPI should be the equiv of VWG. I'm going to experiment next time using all milk and no water because I noticed when I reheated the frozen ones, the top (and just the top) seemed kinda chewy even though I brushed with butter to soften. I don't want to change much and risk ruining a whole batch because we're pretty happy with them but I'm still trying to perfect it.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:30 AM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the tips Jackie. I think then I will try just 1/4 cup of WPI and the 3 1/2 cups of the carbalose. I'm just waiting for my carbalose to arrive. I can't wait to try these. I had some success with some egg-bread like rolls, but I think I didnt let them raise long enough. My recipe was similar to yours except no milk and an extra egg. I think I'll make mine into about 9 sandwich rolls. Turns out to about 8 carbs per roll, but for a really good sandwich roll, I think this will be well worth it.
Too bad we cant use more VWG or WPI, but I know from my past experiments, a little is good, and more than that is way too chewy.
This recipe also looks like a really good candidate for some nice yeast donuts!

Last edited by hirezmary; 04-08-2006 at 10:34 AM..
Old 04-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susiturk53
Stats: 184.4/176/150
WOE: Lo Carb- Cracker
Start Date: October 08
Your scones look so great- can you tell me the carb count on them? thanks so much
susi
Old 05-05-2006, 08:09 AM   #222
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I was looking for a blueberry muffin recipe and saw Tater Head's recipe. Anyone tried it with regular yogurt--our store doesn't have the greek style? I thought muffins would need polyd but guess I was wrong.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:46 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

I made some blueberry muffins last weekend and they turned out really good.
I just subbed a restaurant quality recipe using heavy cream for the milk,
carbalose for the flour, with the exception of 1/4 cup polyd and 1/4 WPI.
They turned out very moist. I think the polyd is a great help with that.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:31 AM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Mary, care to share the new improved recipe for blueberry muffins?
Old 05-06-2006, 08:09 AM   #225
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I second that request--Mary, care to share?
Old 05-31-2006, 07:20 AM   #226
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

After a few unsuccessful tries, I made muffins that we really like.

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

1.5 cups Carbalose (150 grams)
1.5 tsp Baking Soda
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
2 Tablespoons Polydextrose
pinch Salt
1/3 cup Erythritol
2 packets Sweetone
1 teaspoon Cinnamon

12 drops liquid Splenda (1/2 cup sugar equiv)
1/3 cup oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup Hood milk, soured with vinegar

1 cup blueberries (I use frozen--140 grams)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line 12 cup muffin pan or grease well.

Sift together the dry ingredients.

In separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.

Add dry ingredients to wet, stirring as little as possible to combine.

Fold in blueberries.

Scoop into muffin pan.

Bake 20-30 minutes, until tops lightly spring back when touched.
(mine took 20 minutes). Remove from oven, turn out, upside down and allow to cool completely.

Note: batter is very thick so it was kinda hard to evenly mix in the blueberries.

About 4 carbs per muffin (not counting the Erythritol).

Last edited by jackieba; 05-31-2006 at 07:27 AM..
Old 05-31-2006, 10:30 AM   #227
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba

Note: batter is very thick so it was kinda hard to evenly mix in the blueberries.
These sound good, I'll have to try them!

You might try the "poke method" - put a few blueberries on top of the muffin batter AFTER you've portioned it into the muffin cups, then POKE them down into the batter. I get very uniformly blueberried muffins this way!

Char
Old 05-31-2006, 04:24 PM   #228
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks for the idea Char. I'll try that next time.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:28 AM   #229
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I made real hamburger buns the other day and it was great to have a big burger with a bun for a change. To me, it's just not a hamburger without a bun.

Hamburger Buns

1 cup Hood Carb Countdown milk, warmed to about 110 degrees
3 Tablespoons butter, softened
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
250 grams Carbalose
22 grams vital wheat gluten (3 tablespoons)
I also added 1/4 tsp onion powder and 1/2 tsp Thickenthin not/starch but I consider those optional. I couldn't taste the onion.
2 packets rapid rise yeast

I made the dough using my bread machine. Then divided into 9 pieces and flattened each into a 4" round on a greased cookie sheet (I don't have a muffin top pan). Cover and let rise again. Then bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Cool then slice. Makes 9 buns. 7 carbs per bun.

I made them early in the day and then warmed the buns in the microwave and they turned out good. Keeps well too--I just put them in a ziplock and we finished them a few days later. Could also freeze them.

I'll probably use the same recipe for hot dog buns just rolling up jelly roll style. I can't find any LC buns in our stores.

Last edited by jackieba; 06-03-2006 at 08:56 AM..
Old 06-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
jackieba, sounds great, but how many cups of carbalose did you use? i am looking for a good bun recipe also. thanks
Old 06-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #231
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I go by weight instead of cups because the amount actually in 1 cup can vary depending on how much flour compacts and that changes the carbs. That's why I put the weight (since the carbs were calculated on that). If you don't weigh it, I would say 2 1/2 cups loosely filled. Tova Indus. bases their 19 carbs per cup on a cup weighing 100 grams.

But if you really care about the carb counts, it's worth the small price to get a digital food scale--you can find them at Walmart etc. I use mine all the time.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:40 AM   #232
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: ItsTheWooo
Stats: 280/118 (5'5)
WOE: Maintain with <60 carbs average and watching cals
Start Date: March 2003
jackieba,
Hi. I tried to make your hamburger rolls and I don't know what I did wrong.

I don't have a breadmaker, and I really don't know how to make bread, so I looked up instructions online.

I halved the recipe since I didn't know if I would do it right and I didn't want to waste carbalose. Here's what I did. I warmed half a cup (measured 4 oz) of hood carb countdown so that it was just warm enough to leave my finger in for 10 seconds (this is a test for liquids @ 100ish degrees). Then I poured the yeast on top, as well as 1 tsp of honey (for my sugar) and mixed it up. When it got all frothy and stuff, I mixed it into my dry ingredients (I made a well and dropped it in).
Dry ingrediants were 128g carbalose and 11g VWG, salt, and butter.

I mixed this till it was all pretty encorporated, then I started kneeding. I kneeded as the instructions online told me too, by pushing it away, folding the dough over, and turning it a quarter turn each time. I did this about 6 mins or so. The dough was drier, springy, and kinda tough.

Then I greased a big bowl and let it rise. Came back 1.5 hrs later and it rose, but not all that much. I cut it up into 6 pieces (they were small but I figured they would rise more), molded it into a flattish round shape.

Let that rise again, and this time *nothing*.

I baked it, and they came out hard and dry. Didn't rise in the oven. It's like a cross between a hockey puck and a bagel, not a light fluffy roll at all. Tastes a little sour, kinda like beer.

What did I do wrong?
Thank you
Nora
Old 07-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #233
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
[COLOR=Blue]This one has to be tasted to believe....if you don't tell them they won't know its not apple.[/COLOR]

Kevinpa's Zucchini mock apple pie

8 servings

Crust

2/3 c. + 2 T. shortening (I used crisco green with no trans fats)
1 1/2 c. Carbalose flour
1/2 c. resistant wheat starch
4 T. + 2 t. cold water

Cut shortening into flour until the particles are like small peas.
Sprinkle in water, 1 T. at a time tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry is clinging to the side of the bowl.

Roll out between 2 lightly dusted(WPI) sheets of wax paper.

(4.5 carb per serving for crust)

Filling

6 -8 cup zucchini
4 T lemon juice
4 T wheat protein isolate
1 1/4 cup sweetener
2t cinnamon
dash of salt
(1.5 carbs per serving for filling using sweetzfree, 5.5 carbs using granular splenda)

Peel, remove seeds, slice zucchini into a large mixing bowl.

Toss with lemon juice and salt.

Mix flour, sweetener, cinnamon and add to zucchini.

It will be runny.

Pour into an unbaked pie shell and dot w/ pads of butter.

Add top crust.
Bake at 350 for 55 min.. or until golden brown..

(6 carbs total per serving using sweetzfree 10 carbs using granular splenda)

Old 07-16-2006, 12:36 PM   #234
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Kevin, you are terrific! I have 2 HUGE zucchinis that I picked from my garden that I should have picked sooner. This will be the perfect recipe for those. Your pie crust looks sooooooo flaky. I made a zucchini pie a few years ago, and it was "just okay", nothing to get excited about. Hopefully, I can make your pie soon. I need to buy some Wheat Protein Isolate. I had already placed and received my Netrition order. So, I'm having to wait awhile before placing my next one. I'll just use Vital Wheat Gluten Flour. I have plenty of that. Thanks for the recipe!
Old 07-17-2006, 06:21 AM   #235
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Strawberry/Rhubarb pie

Strawberry/Rhubarb pie

8 servings

Crust
2/3 c. + 2 T. shortening (I used crisco green with no trans fats)
1 1/2 c. Carbalose flour
1/2 c. resistant wheat starch
4 T. + 2 t. cold water
Cut shortening into flour until the particles are like small peas.
Sprinkle in water, 1 T. at a time tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry is clinging to the side of the bowl.

Roll out between 2 lightly dusted(WPI) sheets of wax paper.

(4.5 carb per serving for crust)

Filling
2 cup chopped rhubarb
2 cup sliced strawberries
3 eggs
3 T heavy cream
4 T wheat protein isolate
2 cups sweetener equivilent
3/4 t. nutmeg
2 T. butter
(3 carbs per serving for filling using liquid splenda 7 carbs using granular splenda)

Beat slightly eggs and mix together with heavy cream.
Stir in sweetener,WPI, and nutmeg and combine well.
Fold in rhubarb and strawberries till covered the tranfer to bottom crust.
Dot filling in pan with butter and cover with top crust and vent.

Bake till nicely brown, about 50 - 60 min in a 375 oven.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #236
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa
Strawberry/Rhubarb pie

OMG!!!! My absolute favorite pie!!! How can I thank you!!! I can't WAIT to try this.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:56 AM   #237
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DASanders
Stats: 195/150/125
Start Date: February 2004
Question regarding the PolyD in the recipe below. Is it PolyDPlus or regular PolyD? I bought both not knowing and am confused. Please help!

Thank you,
Denice

Originally Posted by makeupmonsterdog
I subbed carbalose for the flour in my brownie recipe and it was a raving success!

These taste JUST like the way the original, high carb version did. I am so thrilled! I'm starting to have a little more faith in Carbalose flour. . . .

1 stick of unsalted butter
2 ounces (2 squares) unsweetened baking chocolate (I used Bakers)
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup (156 g) polydextrose
1/4 cup erythritol
1 packet Ace-K
13 drops sweetzfree
(These 4 ingredients above are replacing 1 cup of sugar)
1/2 cup (50 g) Carbalose flour

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with foil/parchment (by far, the easiest for removal later) or grease the pan well.

In a large bowl, combine the polydextrose and the flour. In a small saucepan over low heat or in the microwave on low power, melt the butter and chocolate in a small bowl. Stir the chocolate mixture until smooth and no lumps of chocolate remain. Allow the chocolate mixture to cool down just a minute or so. Stir in erythritiol, Ace-K, and sweetzfree until combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Stir in vanilla.

Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and fold until combined. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake until set, approximately 20-25 minutes. Cool and cut into 16 squares.

**My brownies didn't appear set after 20 minutes at 325 degrees, so I increased the temperature to 350 degrees and baked an additional 5 minutes. At that point, they almost looked too set but this ended up being perfect. These brownies are perfectly buttery, dense, gooey, and sweet.

By the way, I get a carb count of approximately 2 carbs per piece.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:34 PM   #238
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
It's definitely the regular polyd
Old 01-29-2007, 10:56 AM   #239
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Lehgrad
Stats: 170/139/135, 5'5"
WOE: IR Diet
Start Date: June '04
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupmonsterdog View Post
I subbed carbalose for the flour in my brownie recipe and it was a raving success!

These taste JUST like the way the original, high carb version did. I am so thrilled! I'm starting to have a little more faith in Carbalose flour. . . .

1 stick of unsalted butter
2 ounces (2 squares) unsweetened baking chocolate (I used Bakers)
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup (156 g) polydextrose
1/4 cup erythritol
1 packet Ace-K
13 drops sweetzfree
(These 4 ingredients above are replacing 1 cup of sugar)
1/2 cup (50 g) Carbalose flour

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with foil/parchment (by far, the easiest for removal later) or grease the pan well.

In a large bowl, combine the polydextrose and the flour. In a small saucepan over low heat or in the microwave on low power, melt the butter and chocolate in a small bowl. Stir the chocolate mixture until smooth and no lumps of chocolate remain. Allow the chocolate mixture to cool down just a minute or so. Stir in erythritiol, Ace-K, and sweetzfree until combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Stir in vanilla.

Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and fold until combined. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake until set, approximately 20-25 minutes. Cool and cut into 16 squares.

**My brownies didn't appear set after 20 minutes at 325 degrees, so I increased the temperature to 350 degrees and baked an additional 5 minutes. At that point, they almost looked too set but this ended up being perfect. These brownies are perfectly buttery, dense, gooey, and sweet.

By the way, I get a carb count of approximately 2 carbs per piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba View Post
After a few unsuccessful tries, I made muffins that we really like.

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

1.5 cups Carbalose (150 grams)
1.5 tsp Baking Soda
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
2 Tablespoons Polydextrose
pinch Salt
1/3 cup Erythritol
2 packets Sweetone
1 teaspoon Cinnamon

12 drops liquid Splenda (1/2 cup sugar equiv)
1/3 cup oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup Hood milk, soured with vinegar

1 cup blueberries (I use frozen--140 grams)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line 12 cup muffin pan or grease well.

Sift together the dry ingredients.

In separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.

Add dry ingredients to wet, stirring as little as possible to combine.

Fold in blueberries.

Scoop into muffin pan.

Bake 20-30 minutes, until tops lightly spring back when touched.
(mine took 20 minutes). Remove from oven, turn out, upside down and allow to cool completely.

About 4 carbs per muffin (not counting the Erythritol).
I guess I am resurrecting this thread! I just got carbalose for the first time and I made both of these recipes and they were both excellent. I think for the brownie one, I am going to add 1/2 cup of WPI 5K and 1/2 PolyD instead of the 1 cup of PolyD b/c they were really mush and fudgey (which is awesome, but I want something a little more cakey for the next ones)
For the muffins I put in some of the EWBW chocolate morsles instead of blueberries and they were chocolate chip muffins - even better than the carby kind!!! Yum!!! I was a happy girl this weekend!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:58 PM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smurstep
Stats: 160/155.4/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 5/8/2012
Any quiche recipes? I just started working outside of the home again. I am really in need of some mini quiches that I could eat on the commute. HELP!!!