Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2005, 11:29 AM   #181
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Bassetmom, I was using Fiberfit so I was winging it on sweeteners. . .I'm afraid I cook liberally by ear. . .with mostly good results. Think it was somewhat less than your recipe.

Do note I used about a teaspoon or less of blackstrap molasses, so there was sugar. Know that has been a debate about whether you need sugar or not in yeast breads.

I like a somewhat sweet dough.

My rolls I cut with a small wineglass--about the size of a juice can. Not huge, but that is the way my DM made parkerhouse rolls. Was a challenge with the glass being thick and, well, glass. . .I need a good cutter, will look or try a juice can I can use the juice for grandkids--but they have the pull tops, don't they, . . .

whoops I am running off at the mouth.

THANKS for the recipe, and I'm hoping other carbalose bakers with bread machines will see this, even though this is a busy TOY.

Last edited by magnamater; 11-23-2005 at 11:31 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #182
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
just wondering if anyone has any new recipes to add. Im buying my first bag and plan on trying it out soon.

thanks, you are all wonderful!
Old 02-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shecan1
Stats: (160/130/120)
WOE: Atkins
I've been going thru the posts and havn't found anything yet but I'm wondering if Lindasue ever came up with a yeast roll recipe?
I would kill for some rolls.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetmom
Cinnamon Rolls-Bread Macine (dough setting)
Dough ingredients:
1 large egg, room temperature-remove from shell and place in glass measuring cup. Add to cup:
1/4 cup Carb Countdown milk sub. ( I used 2%) Then slowly add warm water (80 degrees) until it reaches 3/4 cup, then add an additional 3 TBL. more water.
Rest of dough ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/8 cup Erythritol
1/8 cup Splenda
1 teaspoon sugar ( food for yeast)
1/8 teaspoon salt
225 grams Carbalose flour (equal to 2 1/4 cups if not using a scale)
1 packet Rapid Rise yeast

Directions:
Place dough ingredients in bread pan in order, then select dough setting and let machine run about 20 minutes. Check to see if dough is forming, it should form a soft and slightly tacky ball if you touch the surface.
While dough is kneading, in a 8 inch round cake pan, place 3 TBL. butter, melted and sprinkle with 1/3 cup brown sugar subs. ( I used 2 heaping teaspoons E., 2 teaspoons Brown Sugar Twin, and filled the rest of the 1/3 cup with Brown Diabetisweet.) This will form the glaze for your rolls. Set pan aside.
When the 20 minutes is up, place dough on your work surface (I used a piece of parchment paper sprinkled with some Carbalose.) and roll out to about a 8 x 14 inch rectangle.
For filling, brush dough with 1 TBL. melted butter and sprinkle with a mixture of 1 TBL. E, 1 TBL. Brown Diabetisweet, and 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
Starting with long edge, roll up and pinch seam to seal.
Mark and cut into 1 1/2 inch sections, you should get 9 rolls. Place cut side down into prepared pan, flattening them slightly.
Cover with Pam sprayed wax paper and let rise in warm oven. (I turn on my oven for 2 minutes then turn off, then place rolls in to rise).
Let rise for about 30 minutes, until doubled in size. Remove from oven, then preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake about 30 minutes or until done. Remove from oven and immediately invert onto plate. Serve warm & drizzle with a frosting made from about 1/4 cup powdered E and a small amount of cream and a few drops of vanilla extract, if desired.

My notes:Melt all 4 TBL of butter needed above in micro, then measure 3 TBL to put in pan and 1 TBL. for brushing dough. I've made these as dinner rolls also, just used oil instead of butter in the dough, and all water instead of Carb milk. I baked them in sprayed muffin pan without the glaze etc.
I don't have an exact carb count, but the Carbalose alone is 4.7 net per roll, so I don't have these all the time, but they are a special treat. Even the next day I nuked one 15 seconds and it was very good. I think these would also freeze well.

I made these as Parkerhouse rolls. . .with a few tweaks, and omitting the cinnamon step, look on page before for all my tweaks..

Not bad.

Would make again.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater
Bassetmom, I made these (your cinnamon roll recipe)as Parkerhouse Rolls, with water, no glaze, just butter in pan. They are very good, got better the 2nd day in fridge.

I tweeked just a tad, just used a bit of wpi (for last 1/4 c. of carbalose)and a heaping teaspoon full of polyD.

I also had NO SUGAR in house, so used a tad of blackstrap molasses, which made it a bit more tan--whole wheat colored.

I will be using this for my hot roll recipe. In bread machine.

Oh it made 26 rolls, so I'm just using 2-3 net carbs per roll, do you think that's about right?

Wish someone with Mastercook would figure out the carbs. . .I would also make bread with this if it was carb friendly--you know, less than 4-5 carbs.

Looking forward to cinnamon rolls soon. . .
These are my tweaks!

Hope this satisfies your urge for yeast rolls. Did mine.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:50 AM   #186
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DASanders
Stats: 195/150/125
Start Date: February 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian
I made this 2 days ago and they turned out very good. I think they need "something" but I can't put my finger on it. DH disagrees and says they are top 10. If anyone makes these and finds a good tweak....I'd love to know.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes

Ingredients:
1/4 cup Special Dark Cocoa
1 1/2 cups (150 gr) Carbalose flour
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup water
1/2 cup granular Splenda
1/2 cup Chocolate Raspberry SF Syrup (Artisan or Davinci)

Filling:
1 - 8 oz. package softened cream cheese
1/3 cup granular Splenda
1 egg
1/2 package of Mini Carb Chocolate Chips
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Makes 12 muffins.
Preheat oven to 325.

In a large bowl, combine cocoa, carbalose flour, baking soda and splenda. Add vanilla extract, water and Davinci's and mix well. Fold in oil.

In a smaller bowl, combine cream cheese, splenda, egg and vanilla and blend until smooth. Add the chips.

Spray a muffin tin with Pam. Pour in equal amount of the chocolate batter. Top each with equal amounts of the filling in the center of each muffin. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Mine were done at 23 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool. Store in refrigerator.
I made these cupcakes for my DH. We thought they were wonderful. I didn't have the chocolate chips and they came out delicious. Also, I didn't have the SF Syrup flavor you used and used French Vanilla. My DH raved for days over these cupcakes. He asked me to make it in a cake version instead of the cupcakes. How would I do this? Just put it into a cake pan? Sorry, I am not much of a recipe creator.

Denice Sanders
Old 03-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sp26
Start Date: 1.29.01
I made some yeast bread using carbalose and it turned out good. it got much lighter and raised up better than any other locarb bread i've made before. it ended up with 4 carbs per slice but that could be reduced i believe. if anyone is intrested i can post my recipe
Old 03-04-2006, 11:02 AM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NotoSugar
Please post your recipe sp26!
Old 03-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #189
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
sp26........yes, please post your recipe! Did you bake it in the oven or did you use a bread machine?
Old 03-04-2006, 09:36 PM   #190
Senior LCF Member

here's the recipe i used. I use a old Bosch mixer with a dough hook. If you use a bread machine you will have to adapt it to make it work.I've never used a bread machine with this recipe.
In a blender put 2.75 cups warm water,1 tablespoon yeast and 1/2 tablespoon sugar. mix and let stand 5 minutes. in a seperate bowl(not mixing bowl) put the following dry ingredients:
5 cups wpi,3 cups carbalose flour,1/2 cup wheat flour,1 cup ground flax, 1/2 cup resistant wheat starch and 1 cup oat fiber. Mix the dry ingredients. Then put the water,yeast mix in mixing bowl. With mixer turned on start putting dry mix in mixing bowl at 1/2 cup at a time. put enough mix in bowl until the dough mix cleans off sides of bowl. It varies how much to use. it may not take all of the mix or it might take a little more than was mixed. if you run out just use more wpi. Mix about 2 minutes. Dough might be sticky so put a little oil on hands to get dough out of mixing bowl and put in bread pans.It should make two loaves. place pans in warm oven and let rise about 40 minutes to an hour. then bake for about 35 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
The bread rose real good for me, just as high as any store bread. I don't think you would need the resistant wheat starch or the oat fiber or flax. i used them just to see how they worked.
If i did my math right it would be 4 net carbs per slice with 16 slices per loaf. I also noticed a little bitter taste if i ate the bread by itself. when i toasted it or used it in a sandwich i didn't notice it. it could be i used to much carbalose or maybe the oat fiber. My next baking i will tweak the recipe and see if i can improve it and maybe lower the carbs.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:52 PM   #191
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PaminNY
Stats: 158/138.5/129
Start Date: January 2004
I made the chocolate cheesecake cupcakes exactly as printed and omg ... these are soooooo good! Thank you for posting this recipe.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:54 PM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbara Ray
Stats: 230/150/162/150
WOE: Low Calorie/Low Glycemic Load/Low Carb
I made the light crepes over the weekend - I put a little Splenda in the batter because I was using them as a desert - they came out quit good. However, I found it a little messy. So yesterday I purchased an electric crepes maker. I used this recipe once again - and am afraid it didn't work well with the maker. They all came out way too lacey (full of holes). So determined to make my $30.00 investment work I tried the recipe that came with the crepes maker - substituting Carbalose for the flour - it was the only substitute I made - and they came out GREAT! NOT that I didn't like your recipe - I did - that's WHY I bought the crepes maker so that I can make them over and over again - without the mess. But - unfortunately they don't work well with the maker.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:55 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

I made some more bread today and i put xanthan gum in the mix(2 tablespoons for 2 loaves). I was really surprised how much softer the bread turned out. that might work for any bread recipe or even other baking. I got the idea looking at an old lowcarb bread wrapper(which has been discontinued) i found from a couple of years ago and saw they used guar gum.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:18 AM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mahyde
Stats: 119/110/110
WOE: moderate carbs/Zone
Start Date: April 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupmonsterdog
I subbed carbalose for the flour in my brownie recipe and it was a raving success!

These taste JUST like the way the original, high carb version did. I am so thrilled! I'm starting to have a little more faith in Carbalose flour. . . .

1 stick of unsalted butter
2 ounces (2 squares) unsweetened baking chocolate (I used Bakers)
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup (156 g) polydextrose
1/4 cup erythritol
1 packet Ace-K
13 drops sweetzfree
(These 4 ingredients above are replacing 1 cup of sugar)
1/2 cup (50 g) Carbalose flour

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with foil/parchment (by far, the easiest for removal later) or grease the pan well.

In a large bowl, combine the polydextrose and the flour. In a small saucepan over low heat or in the microwave on low power, melt the butter and chocolate in a small bowl. Stir the chocolate mixture until smooth and no lumps of chocolate remain. Allow the chocolate mixture to cool down just a minute or so. Stir in erythritiol, Ace-K, and sweetzfree until combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Stir in vanilla.

Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and fold until combined. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake until set, approximately 20-25 minutes. Cool and cut into 16 squares.

**My brownies didn't appear set after 20 minutes at 325 degrees, so I increased the temperature to 350 degrees and baked an additional 5 minutes. At that point, they almost looked too set but this ended up being perfect. These brownies are perfectly buttery, dense, gooey, and sweet.

By the way, I get a carb count of approximately 2 carbs per piece.
I made this as stated and my dh said it was the best brownie ever that I have made and I have made a LOT of low carb ones.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:42 AM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Oh and btw, I did have to increase the temperature like you did. I wonder if you just add 10 more minutes at 325 or bake it less at 350?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:52 AM   #196
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
Start Date: October 2005
Magnamater, assuming you didn't use over a tsp of molasses, I came up with 2 carbs each for your 26 rolls so your est was a good one.

This has me interested in trying my old yeast roll recipe using Carbalose now. I've been so disappointed in biscuit recipes I tried with Carbquik that I had no hopes for rolls. But I guess I'll try once.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:05 AM   #197
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

That brownie recipe is very similar to what I do (except I use carbquik) but I bake for 30-35 minutes at 325 degrees. I think baking longer at low temp is better than raising the temp--gives it more time to cook throughout without overcooking the edges.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:12 AM   #198
Senior LCF Member

I have made a lot of brownies using carbquik but for some reason this carbalose flour...to me.... makes all the difference in the taste and texture.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #199
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahyde
I have made a lot of brownies using carbquik but for some reason this carbalose flour...to me.... makes all the difference in the taste and texture.
Finally, a brownie recipe, to me, tastes and has the texture of a REAL brownie. mayhyde, thank you SO MUCH for your recipe! I was planning to make jackieba's recipe, but I was out of Carbquick. Once I order more Carbquick, I'm will try her recipe, too. I didn't think of using Carbolose flour until you posted your recipe. My hubby will be thrilled! This is sooooooooo yummy that I'm going to delete all my other brownie recipes. Oh, and many thanks to scott123 for that synergy thing. :up
Old 03-28-2006, 02:21 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
Finally, a brownie recipe, to me, tastes and has the texture of a REAL brownie. mayhyde, thank you SO MUCH for your recipe! I was planning to make jackieba's recipe, but I was out of Carbquick. Once I order more Carbquick, I'm will try her recipe, too. I didn't think of using Carbolose flour until you posted your recipe. My hubby will be thrilled! This is sooooooooo yummy that I'm going to delete all my other brownie recipes. Oh, and many thanks to scott123 for that synergy thing. :up
I subbed carbalose for the flour in my brownie recipe and it was a raving success!

Pam, this recipe was posted by makeupmonsterdog, not me, but it sure is the best!!
Old 03-30-2006, 06:28 AM   #201
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Has anyone come up with a general idea of how much to increase liquids when baking breads with Carbalose? I want to try to make my yeast roll recipe LC and I was going to use bassettmom's cinnamon roll recipe proportions--that would be about 50% more water/milk than I used before based on the amt of flour in the recipe. Does that sound right? I use softened, not melted butter in mine too so that might make a difference. I was also wondering if some WPI or gluten flour would add anything texture-wise--I noticed magnamater did that. I want to give it my best try because if it doesn't turn out well I prob won't bother again. It sure would be nice to have rolls occasionally though. I'm skeptical though given my experience with Carbquik. The brownies and cornbread are the only uses I've found for Carbquik that I liked and so far I haven't really used Carbalose at all.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:14 AM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
Interesting you should ask Jackie because this week I have been experimenting to try and come up with a really good yeast bread. I wanted to create a challah/egg type bread, but I also wanted to simplify it by preparing the dough in my bread machine. Then I divided into rolls and baked. I was really suprised at just how good these turned out. In fact my skinny little son smelled them after they had baked yesterday and asked "are these REAL or that LC junk"? I told him the truth, but to take a tiny taste anyone since my goal was to make somthing that didnt taste LC. He ended up eating the whole roll, didnt even add any butter to it and loved it. We couldnt detect any Carbalose taste either.
The ony thing I want to tweek with it, is to get the rolls to rise a bit more. I think it's because the Carbalose makes it more resistant to rising. I plan on experimenting more, but here is the recipe as it stands. If you dont mind them being a little heavier (you could try letting them raise longer than I did)

Proof the yeast first by combining these in a bowl:
1/4 cup very warm water
1 t sugar
2 t yeast (I used active dry yeast)

Set that aside and it should start bubbling up pretty quickly. If not, your yeast is no good, throw out and get a fresh batch

Combine this in your bread machine:
1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten
2 3/4 cups Carbalose (CQ doesnt work - it will taste like a biscuit instead)
1 t salt
8 drops liquid splenda (or use a few packets of grandular)
2 lightly beaten eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup water
2 T butter
yeast mixture

I turned on the machine and let it go through as far as 1 rise and punch down cycle. Then I divided into 8 rolls. You may find that the dough seems a little wet, but when I decreased the liquids, it baked up too dry and rose less.

Let the rolls now rise again on a pan in a nice warm place. I only waited about 45 mins, but the key might be to let them rise longer, or forgo the first rise in the bread machine entirely, using it only to mix and knead.

Maked at 400 degrees at about 10 mins, but watch carefully as each oven can vary.

Again, I cant promise on the how much rise you will get out of the, but they will taste like a real yeast bread. The splenda sounds like alot, but it isnt. It just adds a nice tiny bit of sweetness you taste in commerical breads and I think the eggs and butter just make it taste that much better.
I may make another batch today to see if I can get more of a rise out of it.
Also note that I have tried on other occasions to use more Vital Wheat Gluten. Dont do it! Although you will get more rise out of it, it will be much too chewy. The 1/4 cup seems to be just the right amount combined with the carbalose. Good luck!

These come out to about 7.5 net carbs per roll

Last edited by hirezmary; 03-30-2006 at 09:18 AM..
Old 03-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bassetmom
I actually used the recipe for dinner rolls from my bread machine book. I used the same amounts of liquid just replaced oil with melted butter and some of the water with Hood CC. The only thing is carbalose weighs less than regular ap flour, I use 100g per cup while ap is 120g per cup. Maybe that is the difference, but the total amount of liquid was the same and it worked.
mary, do you ever use the "rapid rise" yeast? I've found I get a better rise with it than the active dry. I hear ya on the vital wheat gluten-we're chewing & we're chewing Want to try your rolls when I get some more yeast. Thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 08:24 AM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kcduffer
Stats: 168/152/135
Start Date: Sept. 2002
Mary, Which version liquid splenda are you using? How much sweetening is the 8 drops equal to?

I'm also curious to know if anyone has added a little golden flax meal to carbalose to make it a little more like whole wheat flour. I've never been a fan of white bread, but I sure do miss having a nice whole grain wheat bread.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:56 AM   #205
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Hi ladies. I used the rapid bread machine yeast. I think I may just need to give it more time on the 2nd rising. As for the sweetner, I use sweetfreeze. I realize it's a bit of a pain to get hold of, but it lasts so darn long that I only order it about once a year anyway. 8 drops sounds like a lot since this is a very concentrated sweetner. It's suppose to be the equiv of 1/3 cup of sugar. I only use 2 drops max in my cup of tea, but for some reason in combination with these flours and such, it only adds just a nice slight sweetness, like you would expect in a challah bread. The next day the rolls tasted just as good too. I'm getting so exicted to try it again with a longer rise time, but I ran out of Carbalose. Just ordered more, but wont get here till Friday.

Last edited by hirezmary; 04-01-2006 at 08:57 AM..
Old 04-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

These taste JUST like the way the original, high carb version did. I am so thrilled! I'm starting to have a little more faith in Carbalose flour. . . .

1 stick of unsalted butter
2 ounces (2 squares) unsweetened baking chocolate (I used Bakers)
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup (156 g) polydextrose
1/4 cup erythritol
1 packet Ace-K
13 drops sweetzfree
(These 4 ingredients above are replacing 1 cup of sugar)
1/2 cup (50 g) Carbalose flour

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with foil/parchment (by far, the easiest for removal later) or grease the pan well.

In a large bowl, combine the polydextrose and the flour. In a small saucepan over low heat or in the microwave on low power, melt the butter and chocolate in a small bowl. Stir the chocolate mixture until smooth and no lumps of chocolate remain. Allow the chocolate mixture to cool down just a minute or so. Stir in erythritiol, Ace-K, and sweetzfree until combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Stir in vanilla.

Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and fold until combined. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake until set, approximately 20-25 minutes. Cool and cut into 16 squares.

**My brownies didn't appear set after 20 minutes at 325 degrees, so I increased the temperature to 350 degrees and baked an additional 5 minutes. At that point, they almost looked too set but this ended up being perfect. These brownies are perfectly buttery, dense, gooey, and sweet.

By the way, I get a carb count of approximately 2 carbs per piece.
How can I make these brownies into peanut butter brownies? thanks.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #207
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

What about substituting sf peanut butter for the chocolate and keeping the the remaining ingredients the same.......
Old 04-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phaedra
Stats: 248/171/160
WOE: WW
Mary Ann
as I have no polydextrose, erythritol, ace-k or sweetfree can i use Davinci syrup and or Splenda or a combo of each? Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks Phaedra
Old 04-02-2006, 05:20 PM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Pam....thanks I will try that. Phaedra.....polydextrose makes all the difference in these brownies....you need it.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phaedra
Stats: 248/171/160
WOE: WW
Thanks Mary Ann,I appreciate your help.Where do you buy polydextrose?