Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 07:37 AM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/172/197
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 3/05
I don't have carblose flour but I do have Carbquick. Can I use that instead of the carblose flour? I want to try the carblose flour but want to use up my carbquick first.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2005, 07:55 AM   #152
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnp
Has anyone tried making an Angel Food Cake with carbalose?
I think that the flavor of Carbalose would overpower the flavor of the cake, but it might be worth a try.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:59 PM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lynnp
Stats: size 26/22/size 6
WOE: protein and vlc
Start Date: October 20, 2008
LindaSue Do you think that maybe a chocolate Angel Food cake would cover the flavor? I can't get the flour until I'm back in the USA in a few months so I can't try it myself. I just figure that an Angel food cake wouldn't be hard to convert to low carb. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:31 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
TaterHead: When you say 4 t. Sweet One (in muffins) do you mean 2 packets? I don't know if SweetOne has a bulk product but I only have the packets.
JL

Last edited by jlatislaw; 08-18-2005 at 07:33 PM..
Old 08-19-2005, 01:12 AM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One other question...has anyone used the carbalose for flatbreads (pita, lavash type stuff, pizza dough...)?

Last edited by lynnp; 08-19-2005 at 01:47 AM..
Old 08-20-2005, 12:58 PM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlatislaw
TaterHead: When you say 4 t. Sweet One (in muffins) do you mean 2 packets? I don't know if SweetOne has a bulk product but I only have the packets.
JL
Actually that should read 3 tsp not 4 and bake temp 350, After 60 minutes you can't edit your post, so sorry. i did edit it on the front page of recipes though.

As per your ? I only have powered sweet one so i don't know if 2 packets are enough. I would think 1 packet would be equal 1 tsp??
Old 08-28-2005, 10:10 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kayecat
Stats: 220/211/160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: many times 9-1-97
I tried Linda Sue's Bararian Apple Cheesecake and it is great! I made a mistake and made the crust with Carb Quick and it was so good. I only used 1 cup of apples, sliced thin and there seemed to be enough.

Last edited by kayecat; 08-28-2005 at 10:14 PM..
Old 09-13-2005, 05:58 PM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Still wondering about the flatbreads and Angel Food cake if anyone has tried them
Old 09-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: THELOU
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 1998
Hi all Which is the most over powering WPI or Carbalose ?
Old 09-19-2005, 05:45 PM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THELOU
Hi all Which is the most over powering WPI or Carbalose ?

WPI
Old 09-26-2005, 04:39 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 02/24/04
I made these again with some revisions and they are much improved:
Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes

Ingredients:
1/4 cup Special Dark Cocoa
1 1/2 cups (150 gr) Carbalose flour
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup water
1/2 cup granular Splenda
1/2 cup Chocolate Raspberry SF Syrup (Artisan or Davinci)
1/8 tsp. salt

Filling:
1 - 8 oz. package softened cream cheese
1/3 cup granular Splenda or 3 pkts. splenda + 1 tbsp vanilla davinci's
1 egg
1/2 package of Mini Carb Chocolate Chips
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Makes 12 muffins.
Preheat oven to 325.

In a large bowl, combine cocoa, carbalose flour, baking soda/powder and splenda. Add vanilla extract, water, beaten egg and Davinci's and mix well. Fold in oil.

In a smaller bowl, combine cream cheese, splenda, egg and vanilla and blend until smooth. Add the chips.

Spray a muffin tin with Pam. Pour in equal amount of the chocolate batter. Top each with equal amounts of the filling in the center of each muffin. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Mine were done at 23 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool. Store in refrigerator.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
Seems like the Carbalose enthusiam is dieing out pretty fast. Is it because the product was thought to be more versitile than originally thought?
I think maybe we thought it could be a true flour sub and we'd be making all kinds of wonderful yeast breads with it. Has anyone really tried this yet?
Old 10-01-2005, 05:34 PM   #163
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
actually i loive the stuff, i just lately been playing around with it and the resistant wheat starch /poly blend,havent done yeast bread though, never didit prior, i have recieved a ton of raves from non lcers from my pumpkin bread, its so moist, and im still trying out stuff, being that it is unpresidented, as carbquick was , i dont think people have given it enough of a chance,it is really a great product.i think carbquick has had alot more experiments, i like that one as well
Old 10-01-2005, 05:42 PM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirezmary
Seems like the Carbalose enthusiam is dieing out pretty fast. Is it because the product was thought to be more versitile than originally thought?
I think maybe we thought it could be a true flour sub and we'd be making all kinds of wonderful yeast breads with it. Has anyone really tried this yet?
No just wait till we get closer to the holidays and you'll see a ton of things pop up.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
What is the resistant wheat starch you are referring to?
Old 10-02-2005, 07:45 AM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirezmary
Because most bread-type recipes rely very heavily on flour, especially yeast breads, I've been afraid to try them because the carbs would be higher than what I usually like to eat. I was mainly interested in using Carbalose flour in dishes that aren't flour-based, such as to thicken sauces and things like that. It turned out that you have to use so much more Carbalose to thicken a sauce, than with regular flour, so the carb savings really aren't all that great. For those who can handle or care to eat low carb breads, I'm sure it's a great product, but I just don't have that much interest in bread.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shecan1
Stats: (160/130/120)
I use carbolose flour for everything - brownies, cakes, cookies, flat bread, meatballs, quiche crusts you name it. The stuff is great and it helps me keep from cheating. I ussually double the soda, baking powder or yeast in a recipie, add a little cream or whatever and everything I've tried has turned out awesome.
I don't have a problem with the taste - but with so few low carb products available its nice to have something that freezes so well - so its not the same old meat eggs and vegtables.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:56 PM   #168
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: greannmhar
I was a bit disappointed in the carbalose flour at the beginning, but now I'm having better success by mixing it with things like ground linseeds (flax) and ground almonds. This not only improves the flavour and the results, but it lowers the carb count, too.
It does, however, involve a lot of trial and error, with plenty of the latter!
Babs
Old 10-27-2005, 05:00 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: datahamstr
Stats: 180/160/140
Start Date: may5, 2004
making Carbquik out of carbolose?

Do any of you cooking geniuses know of a recipe that would turn Carbolose flour into Carbquik, without the hydrogenated Oils (using a healthier fat/oil)? I would love to use some of the Carbquik recipes by doing that. I hope I haven't missed the post somewhere if someone's already done it!
Many thanks,
Leigh (aka datahamstr)
Old 10-27-2005, 05:22 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by datahamstr
Do any of you cooking geniuses know of a recipe that would turn Carbolose flour into Carbquik, without the hydrogenated Oils (using a healthier fat/oil)? I would love to use some of the Carbquik recipes by doing that. I hope I haven't missed the post somewhere if someone's already done it!
Many thanks,
Leigh (aka datahamstr)
Why not just use Carbquik? It has no trans fats.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:13 PM   #171
Senior LCF Member

re carbquik

I ordered some Carquik a while ago, and should be receiving it today. But doesn't it say on the ingredients "Hydrogenated oils"? and the website say something else? I'm kinda confused about that, do you know what the real story on that is?
Leigh
Old 10-27-2005, 01:29 PM   #172
Tom
Administrator

Gallery: Tom
There are no partially hydrogenated oils in Carbquik - and never have been as far as the Carbquik that Netrition.com has sold. It's simply a matter of using up the boxes that showed an old ingredient listing.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:34 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbConvert
Stats: (147/120/115) 5'
Start Date: March 2004
Oatmeal Pecan Cookies

8 oz (2 sticks) butter
1 large egg
2/3 C Poly D plus
1/3 C brown diabetisweet
1/4 C Erythritol
2 T half & half
2 t vanilla
1 3/4 C Carbalose flour
2 1/2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon (optional)
1 1/4 C Old fashioned Irish oatmeal
1 1/4 C chopped pecans

Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add Egg and sweeteners, blend well. Add half & half and vanilla, blend.
Whisk together carbalose, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon (opt). Add to wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Add oatmeal and pecans, mix well.

Drop by # 40 scoopfuls (about 2 T) onto parchment lined pans, at least 2" apart. Bake at 325*, 12-14 minutes. Cool a minute before removing to rack.

Makes about 38 3" cookies.

You can also add 2 chopped up Minicarb bars to the batter, but the aftertaste is pretty strong.

I dont know the carb count on these yet, but it's probably high.

Karen
Old 11-11-2005, 05:30 PM   #174
Senior LCF Member

re: Carquik

Thanks very much for clearing up the inaccurate info. on Carbquik, appreciate it!

Leigh
Old 11-19-2005, 06:59 PM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tryinghardtolose
Stats: 195/149.8/140
LindaSue......help please

This is my first post so please excuse me if I make a mistake! I'd love to make your Bavarian Apple Cheesecake for Thanksgiving. I have the Carbquik but not the Carbalose flour. Can the Carbquik be subbed for the Carbalose? Would I need to make any other changes to it? What's the biggest difference in the two of them? I also wanted to thank you for all of your great recipes! I have been reading this website for over two years and you've been a tremendous help to me, as to others I'm sure. Please keep cooking and sharing with us....

Happy Holidays to all......
Old 11-20-2005, 06:26 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryinghardtolose
This is my first post so please excuse me if I make a mistake! I'd love to make your Bavarian Apple Cheesecake for Thanksgiving. I have the Carbquik but not the Carbalose flour. Can the Carbquik be subbed for the Carbalose? Would I need to make any other changes to it? What's the biggest difference in the two of them? I also wanted to thank you for all of your great recipes! I have been reading this website for over two years and you've been a tremendous help to me, as to others I'm sure. Please keep cooking and sharing with us....
I think it will work fine. The main differences are that Carbquik has fat and leavening in it. The leavening isn't an issue in the cheesecake crust since it won't raise or puff up anyway. I doubt if the little bit of extra fat will be a problem either, but you could possibly leave out that extra tablespoon of butter. Carbquik is slightly saltier than Carbalose, but again that might not be a problem here. If you're concerned, just use unsalted butter for the crust.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:46 AM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bassetmom
Cinnamon Rolls-Bread Macine (dough setting)
Dough ingredients:
1 large egg, room temperature-remove from shell and place in glass measuring cup. Add to cup:
1/4 cup Carb Countdown milk sub. ( I used 2%) Then slowly add warm water (80 degrees) until it reaches 3/4 cup, then add an additional 3 TBL. more water.
Rest of dough ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/8 cup Erythritol
1/8 cup Splenda
1 teaspoon sugar ( food for yeast)
1/8 teaspoon salt
225 grams Carbalose flour (equal to 2 1/4 cups if not using a scale)
1 packet Rapid Rise yeast

Directions:
Place dough ingredients in bread pan in order, then select dough setting and let machine run about 20 minutes. Check to see if dough is forming, it should form a soft and slightly tacky ball if you touch the surface.
While dough is kneading, in a 8 inch round cake pan, place 3 TBL. butter, melted and sprinkle with 1/3 cup brown sugar subs. ( I used 2 heaping teaspoons E., 2 teaspoons Brown Sugar Twin, and filled the rest of the 1/3 cup with Brown Diabetisweet.) This will form the glaze for your rolls. Set pan aside.
When the 20 minutes is up, place dough on your work surface (I used a piece of parchment paper sprinkled with some Carbalose.) and roll out to about a 8 x 14 inch rectangle.
For filling, brush dough with 1 TBL. melted butter and sprinkle with a mixture of 1 TBL. E, 1 TBL. Brown Diabetisweet, and 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
Starting with long edge, roll up and pinch seam to seal.
Mark and cut into 1 1/2 inch sections, you should get 9 rolls. Place cut side down into prepared pan, flattening them slightly.
Cover with Pam sprayed wax paper and let rise in warm oven. (I turn on my oven for 2 minutes then turn off, then place rolls in to rise).
Let rise for about 30 minutes, until doubled in size. Remove from oven, then preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake about 30 minutes or until done. Remove from oven and immediately invert onto plate. Serve warm & drizzle with a frosting made from about 1/4 cup powdered E and a small amount of cream and a few drops of vanilla extract, if desired.

My notes:Melt all 4 TBL of butter needed above in micro, then measure 3 TBL to put in pan and 1 TBL. for brushing dough. I've made these as dinner rolls also, just used oil instead of butter in the dough, and all water instead of Carb milk. I baked them in sprayed muffin pan without the glaze etc.
I don't have an exact carb count, but the Carbalose alone is 4.7 net per roll, so I don't have these all the time, but they are a special treat. Even the next day I nuked one 15 seconds and it was very good. I think these would also freeze well.

Last edited by bassetmom; 11-21-2005 at 10:53 AM..
Old 11-21-2005, 11:05 AM   #178
Senior LCF Member

This is photo of rolls ready to be baked.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:38 AM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Bassetmom, I made these (your cinnamon roll recipe)as Parkerhouse Rolls, with water, no glaze, just butter in pan. They are very good, got better the 2nd day in fridge.

I tweeked just a tad, just used a bit of wpi (for last 1/4 c. of carbalose)and a heaping teaspoon full of polyD.

I also had NO SUGAR in house, so used a tad of blackstrap molasses, which made it a bit more tan--whole wheat colored.

I will be using this for my hot roll recipe. In bread machine.

Oh it made 26 rolls, so I'm just using 2-3 net carbs per roll, do you think that's about right?

Wish someone with Mastercook would figure out the carbs. . .I would also make bread with this if it was carb friendly--you know, less than 4-5 carbs.

Looking forward to cinnamon rolls soon. . .
Old 11-23-2005, 12:17 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member

magnamater, I'm going to try your tweeks for rolls tomorrow & wow to get 26, that really cuts the carb count. One question also, did you use all the sweetner or reduce it for the rolls? The dinner rolls I made seemed a little sweet, so I was going to reduce that a bit. Thanks again for posting. I'm glad to hear you didn't use any sugar so I'll leave that out next time too. I've made so many yeast hocky pucks over the years, it's nice to get something edible for a change