Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2005, 06:46 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo2d
lindasue's gonna win all the boxes!!
I don't think that there is a prize involved with this contest, just the fun of trying out new Carbalose recipes and seeing what everyone can come up with.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2005, 07:08 AM   #32

Here's what Tom posted about the Carbalose contest:

"How about we have a little contest? Those that are confident that they can come up with one or two great low carb recipes using Carbalose flour as a significant ingredient will receive a free 3 lb. bag to test out their recipes. Post your final recipes here along with a picture, if possible, and then we'll all vote on which ones are the best. Some of the best recipes will appear on the boxed version of Carbalose flour in the future - assuming there is enough demand for the product to warrant manufacturing a boxed version.

Please PM me your complete mailing address if you are interested and you have a history of posting well-regarded recipes on this site. This will be limited to 25 people or so.

Tom"

So, I guess the "prize" is the possibility of getting your recipe printed on the Carbalose box.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:48 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I think argo2d is talking about the free 3lb. bag of Carbalose flour.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by katcha
I think argo2d is talking about the free 3lb. bag of Carbalose flour.
The free bag of Carbalose was sent to the participants before the contest so they can use it to try out recipes. I received mine last Monday. It's not really meant to be a prize, at least not in the sense that you mean.

Maybe Tom will clarify this a bit for us.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:35 PM   #35
Tom
Administrator

Gallery: Tom
You've got it right LindaSue. The free bag was provided in advance in order to permit people to test out recipes. The best recipes will be used by Tova on their packaging and/or website to help future buyers of Carbalose make these recipes if they don't already have recipe ideas of their own.

The recipes are looking great so far!
Old 06-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Thanks Linda and Tom. I went back and re-read the post. Sometimes reading too fast the details are confused. I think the free 3lb. Carbalose flour to try out recipes is quite a "prize" however! LOL!
Old 06-18-2005, 05:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by katcha
I think the free 3lb. Carbalose flour to try out recipes is quite a "prize" however! LOL!
You're right. I had already ordered a bag, but I would have ended up trying to carefully dole it out amongst a few carefully chosen recipes but with the extra three pounds I feel free to play around a bit more without worrying about running out.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:46 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ClikChik
Stats: 124/?/105
WOE: LC
Start Date: Feb 4, 2014
I had found a recipe online for saltine crackers. I have missed crackers with cheese..peanut butter, etc. Here's the original:

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp butter
2/3 cup milk

I used:

2 cups Carbalose
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp butter
2/3 cup 2% Carb Countdown

Combine the dry ingredients, cut in the butter then add milk (I did this is a food processor). Round into a ball and knead for a couple strokes. Divide the dough into several pieces and roll out very thin on a floured board. Lay sheets on an ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt and prick with a fork. Cut into 1 1/2 inch squares with a sharp knife or pizza cutter. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Not bad...not bad at all! (Also rolling out the dough to very thin takes some work so I considered it an upper body workout!)

~~*Teresa*~~

Ever feel like your guardian angel went out for a smoke?

Last edited by ClikChik; 06-18-2005 at 06:47 PM..
Old 06-18-2005, 07:02 PM   #39
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Is the offer still open to get a bag to try out on various recipes? I'd love to do that!

Char
Old 06-18-2005, 08:24 PM   #40
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaSue
So, I guess the "prize" is the possibility of getting your recipe printed on the Carbalose box.

oh ok my bad! well you got my vote so far anyways!!!
Old 06-19-2005, 04:33 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CRosie
Stats: 266/186/150
WOE: my own low carb/sometimes lowfat plan
Start Date: May 21, 2007
Thanks! I want to try these saltines!

I'm thinking that to avoid the rolling out part, maybe I can make them using the same method as the almond thin recipe instructions - in other words, make up the recipe dough, then press and cut with the bottom of my baking powder can.

Rosie
Old 06-19-2005, 04:40 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Rosie, let me know how that works. It's a tough dough...kind of stretchy but I was just reading the thread about hints/tips for the carbalose flour and maybe using a bit more liquid in the saltine recipe would make the dough easier to roll out. According to the Tova Rep:

CARBALOSE FLOUR TIPS FROM THE TOVA REP

* Measure by volume rather than weight because Carbalose weighs less than regular flour
* 1 cup Carbalose flour weighs about 100 grams - regular flour weighs about 125 grams
* When subbing Carbalose for flour, use more water and more leavening than with flour
* Increase yeast or leavening up to double the original recipe
* Drop baking temperature by 25 degrees F and slightly increase cooking time
* 31 grams net carbs per 100 grams (approximately 1 cup)

I also think they dropped the net carbs to 19? I've got pics of the crackers but they aren't very pretty. Some were too thick, some too thin and NONE were the same size. LOL After everyone leaves today, I may give the recipe another go with more milk.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:25 AM   #43

ClikChik, did your saltines turn out delicate and flaky like the real kind?
Old 06-19-2005, 06:57 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Well, the really thin ones weren't exactly flaky...maybe the ones a little thicker (denser) were "layered" because of my kneading? But today they don't taste nearly as good and are not crispy like when they first came out of the oven last night. I am questioning whether or not I want to make crackers every time I want one. Don't think this recipe will store well. Guess some tweaking needs to be done on this recipe. Best I could do on the pic...

Old 06-19-2005, 08:26 AM   #45

ClikChik, are you sure you baked them long enough? They look a little pale, which could account for them not staying crisp.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:33 AM   #46

Here's the first of today's experiments. Also, my pound cake is cooling and still in the pan. I'm not too sure how it will be since it didn't raise very much. It's about half the height of the recipe I was converting.

LIGHT CREPES
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
Dash salt (see my comments below)
1 cup Carbalose flour
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon butter, melted

In medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, yolks and salt. Gradually whisk in flour alternately with cream and water until smooth. Whisk in butter. Chill batter at least 1 hour. Heat 9 or 10-inch nonstick skillet on medium heat, spraying very lightly with cooking spray. Lift skillet off the heat and make each crepe by pouring in 2 tablespoons batter while tilting the pan in all directions to swirl the batter in a thin even layer. Cook until bottom of crepe is browned; flip and brown the other side for a few seconds. Use as crepes or tortillas and fill as desired. If you won't be using the crepes right away, store them with waxed paper between each one and place in a plastic bag in the refrigerator or freezer for longer storage.

Makes about 10-12 crepes, 6 inches in diameter

Note: You could use Carb Countdown milk instead of the cream and water.

Per Crepe: 108 Calories; 9g Fat; 5g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

The original recipe called for 1/8 teaspoon of salt, but I left it out to compensate for the salt in the Carbalose flour. After tasting one, I think they could use just a dash of salt. Also, although my batter was very thin, these cook so quickly that there isn't much time to get the batter to spread in the pan. Rather than add more liquid, I think I will add one more egg next time. I think that might also help the tendency of the crepes to crack when rolling up. The original recipe said to cook them over medium-high heat, but that seemed too hot so I cooked mine over medium-low heat. If your pan is too hot, the batter will stick instantly to the pan and you won't be able to swirl it.

These have a very slight Carbalose taste, but it's not bad. I think that once you fill these with something, it won't be noticeable. These aren't anywhere near as fragile and difficult to work with as my Low Carb Crepes, which are made with low carb bake mix and cream cheese. However, the carbs in these are a bit higher.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:42 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

I baked them for 10-11 minutes and some are definitely darker than the others. They browned up nice and crispy on the bottom. I will probably try again with a few tweaks but today is pretty much out of the question.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:39 AM   #48

AUNT ILSE'S EASY POUND CAKE
2 cups Carbalose flour
2 cups granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon rind, from 1 small lemon
2 tablespoons lemon juice, from 1 small lemon
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs

Blend all ingredients on low speed to combine. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed. Pour into a large heavily greased bundt pan. Bake 300║ for 65-70 minutes or until well-browned and firm to the touch. Cool 15 minutes in pan; turn out and cool.

Makes 16 servings

With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 207 Calories; 17g Fat; 7g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 195 Calories; 17g Fat; 7g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

Although Tova suggested that we lower our ovens by 25 degrees and increase the baking time when baking with Carbalose flour, I'm finding that so far, my baked goods aren't taking any longer than they would have at the original temperature. My pound cake didn't rise much and is only about half as high as my Aunt's pound cake usually comes out, but it's very brown. It's much more brown than hers comes out. So, my suggestion is to set your timer for the lowest amount of time listed in your original recipe and check after that amount of time. You can always add more time, but you can't rescue a burnt cake. I think if I had baked this cake any longer than the 70 minutes, it would have been too dark.

At the last minute, while mixing the cake batter, I decided to throw in an extra egg (the recipe called for 3 eggs) to help add more moisture as well as leavening since pound cake really has very little leavening other than from the eggs. I'm not sure if that extra egg helped or hindered the cake's rising. It is very moist inside so maybe the extra egg wasn't necessary. Oh, and I also cut back on the Carbalose flour by 1/4 cup but I may put it back in next time I make this. It doesn't affect the carb count enough to worry about.

I had a little trouble removing it from the pan so make sure that you grease your pan very well. My cake isn't quite cool enough yet to tell how it will be once it's stood for a while, but I took a nibble and it tastes very nice and there's no Carbalose taste at all. It's very lemony, but a little greasy/buttery to the touch, at least on the outside. I've got a piece chilling in the freezer so I'll let you know shortly how the texture is when it's cool. My husband just nabbed a hot piece and said it tastes very good warm.

I've tasted the cooled cake. I seem to detect the Carbalose taste a bit now and it's very slightly on the salty side even though I left out the 1/2 teaspoon of salt originally called for. You might try using half unsalted butter. I also think that the cake should have been baked a little longer, at least on the inside, but that would be difficult to do without burning the outside. I'm sure the slight under baking was due to it not rising enough so maybe a little baking powder would help. If you add baking powder, you'll definitely have to use unsalted butter. Here's a picture of a slice of the cake:

In case you're interested, the counts for the original full sugar/flour version would be:
Per Serving: 308 Calories; 16g Fat; 4g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 38g Net Carbs
Old 06-19-2005, 10:07 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
LindaSue, do you use metal, glass and or the silicone bakeing pans? I just bought a silicone bread pan and have not used it yet. Just wondering how this cake will rise in that type of pan, I usually use a glass pan. For some reason it rises and then falls befor I take it out of the oven. Thankyou.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:52 PM   #50
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
well i made some cookies today and id say their pretty much a sucess, i made them out of the same batch and fooled around with one, more than the other- i made a tender lemon teacake type of cookie that im thinking about filling for a sandwich cookie and i made a hearty looking cherry chip cookie. the odd thing is the lemon ,which i made with a good lemon extract were alot flatter and softer,than the cherry chip one , i made with flavor oil,the flavor oil i probably used about a teaspoon and a half,+ 3/4 teas of choc flavor oil . i put in frig for a couple of hrs and took out, and the texture was nice also .though i could still smell a faint carbolse smell so added more oil. taste is gone.slight crispy texture around outside. i also decreased temp slightly, and baked about 12 min. i will post as soon as i get it squared away.we also made yeast rolls and they were gross, pitched them. the lemon cookies are sweet an delicate and no flour taste. i think im going to invest in some other flavors than the basic ones i have.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:00 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotchic
LindaSue, do you use metal, glass and or the silicone bakeing pans? I just bought a silicone bread pan and have not used it yet. Just wondering how this cake will rise in that type of pan, I usually use a glass pan. For some reason it rises and then falls befor I take it out of the oven. Thankyou.
I always bake cakes in metal pans, preferably not nonstick ones which tend to burn things. Often if I have to use a nonstick pan, I will line it with foil. I've never tried baking a cake in a glass pan and I don't have any silicone ones.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:14 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
Who's up for trying a southern fried chicken recipe with Carbalose? I'd love to hear how it turns out. Perhaps the spices will overtake any aftertaste from the flour? I'll be ordering my soon, but I sure love seeing all the great recipes folks are trying!

Oh, and my other favorite would be tollhouse cookies. I guess one could use Diabeteticsweet brown sugar for the brown sugar sub? I really miss a good chewy chocolate chip cookie. I dont care for any LC ones I've tried yet too much. A chocolaty buttery chewy chocolate chip cookie, yum yum yum!!!

Last edited by hirezmary; 06-19-2005 at 04:16 PM..
Old 06-19-2005, 07:42 PM   #53
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
I always bake cakes in metal pans, preferably not nonstick ones which tend to burn things. Often if I have to use a nonstick pan, I will line it with foil. I've never tried baking a cake in a glass pan and I don't have any silicone ones.

i didn't know that about nonstick -- do you know why that happens? i always thought (at least for pots and pans) that the steel ones without nonstick get much hotter...
Old 06-19-2005, 08:46 PM   #54

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies..

Nice looking cake, Linda Sue..You printed the sodium levels of things the other
day..very helpful..and the baking soda was pretty high..do you think we could
replace the soda with baking powder and have it come out okay and less salty??
or using the unsalted butter is a good idea, too..

Carolyn...thanks for experimenting..
Old 06-20-2005, 04:52 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by argo2d
i didn't know that about nonstick -- do you know why that happens? i always thought (at least for pots and pans) that the steel ones without nonstick get much hotter...
They used to put a warning on the Baker's Secret labels to lower your oven temperature when using their nonstick pans. I didn't see that on my newer ones though so maybe they've improved them. Every time I'd bake something in mine, it would get too dark and cookies were the worst with burnt bottoms. I seem to have the best luck with aluminum pans or regular steel ones. My half sheet pans are both heavy aluminum.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:55 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF
Hi ladies..

Nice looking cake, Linda Sue..You printed the sodium levels of things the other
day..very helpful..and the baking soda was pretty high..do you think we could
replace the soda with baking powder and have it come out okay and less salty??
or using the unsalted butter is a good idea, too..

Carolyn...thanks for experimenting..
Carolyn, that sounds like a question for Scott123. I have no idea how to sub baking powder for baking soda. I wondered about that too for my pound cake. I'd like to add some baking powder to help it raise better, but I have no idea how much to add. Some pound cakes don't have any baking powder or soda in them and they still raise just from the eggs in them.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:43 PM   #57

BAVARIAN APPLE CHEESECAKE
Crust:
1/3 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup Carbalose flour

Filling:
16 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granular Splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

Topping:
2 cups granny smith apples, sliced, 8 ounces (don't slice too thin)
1/3 cup granular Splenda (do not use liquid Splenda)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sliced almonds, 1 ounce

Beat first 3 crust ingredients on medium speed; stir in flour until a soft dough forms. Pat onto bottom and just slightly up sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.

Place apples in a single layer on a baking sheet. You may want to line it with a silicone liner because the apples will stick. Cover with foil and bake at 400║ 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/2 cup Splenda and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until fluffy. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour into prepared pan. Arrange warm apples atop filling.

In a small bowl, mix 1/3 cup granular Splenda and cinnamon. Sprinkle almonds evenly over apples, then cover with cinnamon-Splenda mixture. It will seem like an awful lot of cinnamon mixture, but you'll be glad that you put it all on there. Bake at 400║ 40 minutes until golden brown. Cool, then remove sides of pan. I didn't like the dry, powdery look of the granular Splenda on top so I sprayed it lightly with a water mister to melt the Splenda. Chill at least 4 hours before serving.

Makes about 8-12 servings

With granular Splenda:
Per 1/8: 384 Calories; 33g Fat; 11g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 10g Net Carbs
Per 1/12: 256 Calories; 22g Fat; 7g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per 1/8: 374 Calories; 33g Fat; 11g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 8g Net Carbs
Per 1/12: 249 Calories; 22g Fat; 7g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

This is my low carb version of a wonderful cheesecake recipe from my cousin, Laurie. All I did was substitute Splenda for the sugar and use Carbalose flour instead of regular flour in the crust. I also reduced the amount of apples by 2 cups to save carbs. This has got to be about the best low carb dessert I've ever eaten. No one will know that this is low carb, especially if you top it with some whipped cream or Whipped Topping (not included in carb counts). There is just enough apple to give it the right flavor, but not enough to be outrageously high in carbs. They add just 2-3 net carbs per serving. The crust is nice and flaky and this dessert reminds me of a cross between apple strudel and apple Danish. The cheese filling isn't overly sweet, so you may want to add a touch more sweetener if you like your cheesecake sweeter. Between the Whipped Topping and the sweet cinnamony apples, I don't think it really needs to be sweeter.

Below you can see a slice of the cheesecake:

WHIPPED TOPPING
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon sugar free instant vanilla or white chocolate pudding mix, dry
A little liquid Splenda, optional

Makes about 8 servings

Place cream in a large, deep mixing bowl and add the dry pudding mix and sweetener, if using. Briefly whisk until the powder has dissolved and no longer looks grainy. With a large wire whisk, briskly whip the cream mixture until thick and fluffy. Stop as soon as it becomes thick. This will only take a minute or less.

I put my Whipped Topping in a quart size zipper bag, with one of my cake decorating tips and coupler inserted into one corner of the bag, to get the fancy look you see in the picture.

Per Serving: 105 Calories; 11g Fat; 1g Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs
Old 06-20-2005, 03:50 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Maintenance plus.....
Start Date: 02/24/04
I just have to say the picture of the Bavarian Apple Cheesecake is about the prettiest thing I've ever seen while doing LC. Just beautiful.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:49 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
This looks great Linda Sue, I think I'm going to try it this week. Thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 04:15 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

omg! The meat/egg fast just got a lot more difficult!!!