Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2005, 08:04 PM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tammay
Stats: 188/188/123
WOE: SBD Vegetarian
Start Date: Jan 2002 (restarted: 6/1/11)
Coconut Chocolate Gelatin Pudding

Hi all,

Was browsing some low carb recipe sites and found this one. I'm dying to try it, especially because it's the only pudding recipe I've seen that has both coconut milk and no pre-packaged SF pudding mix (which I don't eat).

If anyone wants to plug in the numbers into ****** I'd love to know...

Tam

Coconut Chocolate Gelatin Pudding

1/3 cup cocoa
3-6 packets sweetener
1 rounded tsp instant expresso coffee or 1 tsp coffee extract
14 oz can coconut milk
1 packet unflavored gelatin
1/4 c. COLD water

in heatproof bowl mix cocoa, sweetener and coffee or extract. Heat coconut milk to boiling (be sure it's really boiling). Pour approx 1/2 cup of the hot coconut milk into bowl with cocoa mixture and beat well to melt the cocoa. Add remainder of hot coconut milk and mix thoroughly. Let sit on the counter for about 5 minutes then put in the fridge to cool for about 20 minutes. You want it slightly warm but not hot for the next step.
Meanwhile, sprinkle the packet of gelatin over 1/4 cup (2 oz) cold water in a microwave safe bowl and let sit (minimum of 5 minutes, longer is fine). When the cocoa mixture is cool, take it out of the fridge. Microwave the gelatin mixture for about 30 seconds. It should be clear and completely dissolved when you stir it, but don't overheat! Pour gelatin mixture all at once into cocoa mixture and stir vigorously. Divide into 4 custard cups or similar. Chill for at least two hours.
By : Molly

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CRosie
Stats: 266/186/150
WOE: my own low carb/sometimes lowfat plan
Start Date: May 21, 2007
I see that some of you here use the creamed coconut - I bought a jar from Tropical Traditions and it has the yummiest smell.

I had trouble following some of the posts - you add Poly D to this to make a snack?

I'd like to make some kind of easy coconut snack at night - no baking if I can avoid it - not crazy about peanut butter.

Coconut flakes, Creamed Coconut, nuts and a sweetener?

Somebody ever try something like that?

Thanks, Rosie
Old 07-23-2005, 07:19 PM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
sorry if this has been asked already, it's a little hard keeping up with such a growing thread: has anyone tried adding coconut oil to their homemade yogurt? Seems like using 1% or even skim milk along with a goodly amount of co would produce a smooth, creamy and healthy product (& maybe make it a little easier to get in those 3 T/day?)...just a thought!
Old 07-24-2005, 07:59 AM   #244
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tall_Texan
Stats: 185/160 (now 172-oops)/150
WOE: All Natural - lower carb
Start Date: 6/01/03
Yes, I've tried it. I buy the natural fat free yogurt, drain it to a yocheese consistency, add VCO, shredded coconut, Splenda and a drop of coconut extract. Blue Bunny makes a coconut creme pie flavor and this tastes similar.

I've tried adding it to my regular LC yogurt, but it gets hard and waxy on me and I don't care for the "chunks" of fat in my yogurt!
Old 07-24-2005, 09:50 AM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
thanks Anne. I was thinking of doing the same. I love yogurt, homemade or commercial. May try actually adding a quarter cup or so to a quart of 1% milk to replace the usual fat in whole milk plain yogurt next time I make my own (I actually don't mind the little fat globules mixed in...reminds me of white chocolate chips!) well see what happpens...
Old 07-24-2005, 12:53 PM   #246
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tall_Texan
Stats: 185/160 (now 172-oops)/150
WOE: All Natural - lower carb
Start Date: 6/01/03
The first time I tried it, I used the full fat yogurt, but then I decided since I was adding fat, I should try the fat free - it tasted about the same I thought.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:10 PM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smilingirisheyes
WOE: Plant Strong
Start Date: Autumn 2009
I love the Tropical Traditions Coconut Cream Concentrate. It is just yummy right out of the container.

Has anyone used this in cooking? I'm sure I could probably try it in place of oil in a recipe (maybe??). Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, I've been taking 2-4 at least TBs of coconut oil daily for over a month now. I have IBS and this has been a miracle for me. Well, that and the CCC described above as it has all the fiber of the coconut with it.

Just my 2 cents worth
Old 10-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #248
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: thinkthin13
WOE: Clean!
Start Date: September 2010
I have been thinking about adding cocunut oil to my diet for the health benefits and to help w/ weight loss but a friend that is using it said that it has to be Organic unrefined coconut oil (she doesn't need to lose weight but lost 4 pounds in 5 days just adding it to her diet) which I do plan to buy but in the meantime can you get the same benefits from the 'regular' coconut oil that I picked up at Wal-Mart?

Thanks for any information and sorry if this is a repeat, this thread is very, very long.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:48 PM   #249
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
The kind from Walmart is great for frying foods in a skillet. I lower the temperature a little from normal cuz the coconut oil seems to cook better that way. I like the way the foods turn out better with the coconut oil and they aren't as greasy as with regular oil.
For eggs, I mix a bit of butter with a bit of coconut oil and they fry up nicely.

I don't know if you get the same benefits from the kind from Walmart or not.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:20 PM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ska53
Stats: 201/185/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-inducted 4/26/09
A question for you coconut users! I bought coconut oil after seeing it used in recipes. I didn't buy VCO, the plain ol stuff was in the supermarket and I bought it. Is there a reason that I need to go for the VCO or EPCO? Are the benefits still there? Looking on line it seems like all the articles are addressed as if you have no other choice. What do you think? Did I waste my money?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:09 PM   #251
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 163 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Low Carb/Up Days-Down Days
Start Date: May/June 2014
SKA- did you get the Anna brand. I use that one from Wall-Mart and see no difference from the Tropical Traditions one on-line. I only us coconut oil for cooking now...turnips sliced like steak fries and fried in Coil come real close to french fries. Real Crispy on the outside and soft inside.
Also lots of people use the super market one for skin oil as it is not costly.
Lainey
Old 02-24-2006, 03:08 AM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Norfolk you must be psychic! Yes the Annabrand is what I bought. I was so excited to see that they had it that I didn't pay any attention to it not being VCO. I made Bark last night (single serving with Pbutter). It was very good, and I felt like I was sinning! Weight is down this morning and my Ketosis is even darker on the stick. May not have been that after just having it once but my fears of being stalled because of it are gone. Woohoo!
Old 02-24-2006, 12:19 PM   #253
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Norfolk Mermaid
Stats: 189 3/4 / 163 / 150 (5' 6 1/2") 9/30/1942
WOE: Low Carb/Up Days-Down Days
Start Date: May/June 2014
SKA, hey you are educating me... I never did the bark

with the Anna brand but will try it. Anna is just like the Expeller coconut oil. I only use it for cooking till NOW.
I get the by the gallon because it last forever. I have the unsweet flakes gal, VCO gal and a gal of Exp. and the WOW it is yummy Coconut oil consentrate. I use the Virgin in my morning coffee and top it with cinnimon/splenda (lots of it) sprinkles. They have buy one or two and get one free that I like.
Enjoy.
Lainey
E-mail me for details if you like.....lainey6@cox.net

Last edited by Norfolk Mermaid; 02-24-2006 at 12:50 PM..
Old 02-24-2006, 04:34 PM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Guess I have alot of experimenting to do. Scrambled my eggs in CO this morning when I usually use Pam. The kind I have has very little taste and I didn't seem to notice but I probably shouldn't use it in places I have not been using anything.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:14 AM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BeverlyD
RECIPES??

Faux Potatoes and Snackroon recipes:

Where can I find the Faux Potatoes and Snackroon Recipe?
THANKS
Beverly
Old 03-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BB in MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyD
Faux Potatoes and Snackroon recipes:

Where can I find the Faux Potatoes and Snackroon Recipe?
THANKS
Beverly
Here they are, Beverly
Snackeroons from LCF
Heather

1 c. grated chedder cheese
3/4 c. CARBQUIK
( here it calls for 3/4 c. rice crispies but I just skip them)
1/2 c. crushed walnuts
1/2 tsp. garlic salt (I use garlic POWDER instead of salt)
1/2 c. butter (soft) (I use expeller pressed Coconut oil instead)
6 slices crisp crushed bacon (I use 9 pieces instead of 6)
2 tblsp bacon drippings or oil (again, the Coconut oil)
4 to 5 tsp. ice water

Combine all of the ingredients, form into balls and bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 375 (or until golden brown). A silicon baking mat is really great for these. If they spread too much you might chill the uncooked balls before baking. Next time I make these I'm going to try Pepper Jack cheese.

I just bought some Butter Buds and I think I may add some to the water in the recipe to replace the butter flavor. Not that it really needs it.

This recipe was a Bake-off winner many years ago. I have been making a low carb version and they work great for a quick on-the-run breakfast. They are quite delicate when they first come out of the oven but a little stronger and firmer once cooled.

Faux Potato Salad from LCF
Kris D

3 cups cooked cauliflower
3-5 cooked, chopped eggs
1-2 cup mayo
1/2 cup diced dill pickles
2 TSP diced onion
2 TSP pickle juice
Yellow Mustard to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the cauliflower and eggs then drain, then add all the ingredients and put in the refrigerator overnight. This recipe tastes so good, you will have a hard time believing it is not the real thing!

Beth
Old 03-14-2006, 03:16 PM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: decodiana
Stats: 301/239/150
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Start again 1/5/13
Full fat coconut milk has approximately 20% coconut oil, so use it to make your favorite soup in place of (or with) cream. My favorite:

Cream of Mushroom Soup

8 oz Baby Bella mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup onion
2 tbsp coconut oil or butter
1 can coconut milk
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp worchestershire sauce

Sweat mushrooms and onions in oil or butter (medium heat) til soft, approximately 10 minutes. Add chicken broth, coconut milk and heavy cream. Season with S&P. Simmer 10 minutes til thickened.

Add worchestershire sauce. Puree with immersion blender or in batches in a food processor.

4 net carbs per serving - 5 servings per batch

Enjoy!
Old 03-14-2006, 03:58 PM   #258
Way too much time on my hands!

yum
Old 03-22-2007, 11:08 AM   #259
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
Save
Old 03-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: babydollsea
WOE: Moderate carbs
Just posting to save these awesome recipes...thanks!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lcmiller461
Stats: 160/135/125
WOE: Atkins, etc.
I noticed there was about a year between posts--is anyone still adding CO to their diets, and if so, what are/have been the benefits?

Lots of great recipes here...
Old 04-03-2007, 04:27 AM   #262

I wanna know about the progress...
Old 04-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #263
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: StacyW
I have just used coconut oil for the first time today in a "granola bar" recipe...

1 cup flaxseed meal
3/4 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 cup almond flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup Splenda
1/4 cup Poly D
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup unsweetened chocolate chips
2 tbs sugarfree honey
1 tbs vanilla
1/4 cup coconut oil, softened but not melted in the microwave
1 egg white
1/8 cup cream
1/8 cup water

Preheat the oven to 350*. Put parchment paper in the bottom of a 9x13. Mix dry ingredients. Add the rest of the ingredients to the dry, stir. Spread in the bottom of the pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool for a little bit. Cut into bars and bake at 300* for another 20 minutes.

I haven't had one cooled off yet, but warm it kinda reminds me of oatmeal cookies.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:56 AM   #264
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yogi
Whew! Just read thru all these great ideas.... thanks guys!
The coconut cream concentrate is great added to a stir fry. It thickens up the soy sauce beautifully.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: violettfem
Stats: 162.6/149.4/140
WOE: Gluten Free Vegan WOE- Weight Watchers
Start Date: 10/31/13
great recipes!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #266

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Has anyone tried Dr. Fife's Non Stick cooking Oil from Netrition? The ingredient list is just coconut oil and lecithin.

Does it work? I've got both of those ingredients, could I just blend the two?
Old 04-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #267

Non-Stick Skillet

OMG, I just had the most amazing experience at my stove just a few minutes ago. . . My Egg did NOT stick!

I'd been cooking with coconut oil now for at least a couple of months. I think, subconciously, I noticed that my food didn't stick as much, but whenever I cooked protein food like egg or beef or mushroom, it would still stick ridiculously.

Well while surfing through Netrition I saw an ad for non stick cooking oil, I checked the ingredient list and it was just coconut oil and lecithin. Well, I had bought a bottle of lecithin months ago to try to make Ice-cream(never did) and I thought I might as well try it. I added a couple of drops to my skillet which I had brushed with a layer of coconut oil and stir fried my veggies. But veggies don't stick much any way. So I wiped the skillet clean, brushed on the coconut oil and a drop of lecithin till it all blended, then dropped an egg into the warm skillet. My egg was skating across the skillet like an marble across a glass plate! If I had flipped my wrist it would have jumped out of the pan and flown across the room! My eggs have never behaved that way, even when this skillet was new!

I have a jar I keep on the stove of coconut oil, and I put about a half cup of CO and maybe a teaspoon of lecithin stirred together to use in the future. I'll let you know how this non-stick oil holds up to other foods as I cook 'em.

Wow, I'm so excited I may finally have stick free cooking!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 05-02-2008, 04:43 AM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I have a jar I keep on the stove of coconut oil, and I put about a half cup of CO and maybe a teaspoon of lecithin stirred together to use in the future. I'll let you know how this non-stick oil holds up to other foods as I cook 'em.

Wow, I'm so excited I may finally have stick free cooking!
Metqa:

Thanks so much for posting this! I have a muffin recipe that absolutely stubbornly sticks to my non-stick pans no matter how much spray I use. Last go-round I tried wiping the interior with some CO. That improved things somewhat but did not completely solve the problem. I, too, have some lecithin just sitting around, so I'll take up your suggestion and combine it with the CO next go-round. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

-Retroworx
Old 05-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Metqa:

Thanks so much for posting this! I have a muffin recipe that absolutely stubbornly sticks to my non-stick pans no matter how much spray I use. Last go-round I tried wiping the interior with some CO. That improved things somewhat but did not completely solve the problem. I, too, have some lecithin just sitting around, so I'll take up your suggestion and combine it with the CO next go-round. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

-Retroworx
I think the lecithin is the key. Maybe lecithin:C.O. 2:1? My bottle actually suggests using mostly lecithin mixed with a vegetable oil for non stick cooking and baking. Let me know how it turns out for you.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gallard
WOE: Low Carb
Subscribing