Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2005, 12:22 PM   #91
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: rowdy1
Stats: 5'5"..currently way tooooooooo much!!
WOE: carb monitoring w/yocheese
Start Date: 9/03...terminal uphill battle
Carolyn...I made the cookies but forgot the coconut...they came out very well...tasty and just fine w/out it. I used the Walmart brand vanilla protein powder and used about 6 scoops and 1 scoop flax. They were almost too dry to roll out but it worked! Yum!

I will try it w/the coconut later this week...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2005, 02:22 PM   #92
Allergic to Carbs- I break out in Fat!

Gallery: Diana
Stats: 176.5/138.8/134 (5'3")
WOE: The Original Atkins
Start Date: 8/11/03 Restart 4/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosa
I have heard that you have to be careful not too heat the oil too much or the chocolate can separate.
Yep that is what happened to mine!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:55 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kayjwag
WOE: Stillmans/Atkins
Start Date: Started Atkins Dec 2003
I got this idea from Littlegunshots

I call it "Strawberry Smash"

This is for a single serving:

1T VCO
1T Neufchael (sp) Cheese (like cream cheese but 1/3 less fat)
2 medium Strawberries -smashed or chopped
2T Designer Whey <French Vanilla> protein powder (Optional)
Torani's SF-White Chocolate syrup (I am sure any flavor will do)

I melted the VCO, Neufchael, Strawberries & SF syrup together- not over heated just until melted then I stirred in the protein powder and put in frezzer until set.

I made one last night without the protein powder and it was just as delicious.
Taste just like Strawberry Cheesecake!!

Counts: (I use Garden of Life VCO)
Calories: 212
Carb:3
Protein:9

Without DW Protein:
Calories:167
Carb:2
Protein:0
Old 04-26-2005, 09:03 AM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

"Spiced Tea" ~ <ingredients are supposed to help burn fat, minimize cellulite, & build up your red blood cells>

Makes 2 servings using 17 oz of water- Drink it Hot

Diet Green Tea -16oz & depends on how much juice you get from the lemon <I use the Arizona brand>
Juice and pulp from 1 Lemon (cleans out your liver and promotes fat loss)
1/8 tsp Cayanne Pepper (or to your taste but do not omit it-this is to build up your Red blood cells and it also speeds up your metablisom)
1/8 tsp Cinnamon (promotes fat loss)
2 tsp or 1T of Coconut Oil (promotes fat loss)

Since I do watch calories and I have revised menu to account for VCO, I have this tea twice a day in the place of snacks, sometimes with the coconut oil and sometimes without it. It's one of those "feel Good" teas- makes you feel vibrant.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:36 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HeatherFeather
Stats: 185/175/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: Nov 2002 restart 6/2011
I never thought I'd hear myself say this but....I'M SICK OF CHOCOLATE!!

Now I think I need to develop a good VCNO recipe with Lemon. A lemon bar something or other.

Anybody with any ideas??
Old 04-26-2005, 01:46 PM   #96
Bike Tart

Gallery: mamagiff
WOE: general low carb
I've made a lemony version of the 3 minute chocolate cake with coconut oil - it was really good! What about adapting some of the cookie recipes to use lemon juice or flavoring? Or maybe an ounce of cream cheese, a tbsp coconut oil and some lemon juice as a little lemon cheesecakey thing?
Old 04-26-2005, 02:35 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjwag
"Spiced Tea" ~ <ingredients are supposed to help burn fat, minimize cellulite, & build up your red blood cells>

Makes 2 servings using 17 oz of water- Drink it Hot

Diet Green Tea -16oz & depends on how much juice you get from the lemon <I use the Arizona brand>
Juice and pulp from 1 Lemon (cleans out your liver and promotes fat loss)
1/8 tsp Cayanne Pepper (or to your taste but do not omit it-this is to build up your Red blood cells and it also speeds up your metablisom)
1/8 tsp Cinnamon (promotes fat loss)
2 tsp or 1T of Coconut Oil (promotes fat loss)

Since I do watch calories and I have revised menu to account for VCO, I have this tea twice a day in the place of snacks, sometimes with the coconut oil and sometimes without it. It's one of those "feel Good" teas- makes you feel vibrant.

I tried this and it was better than I thought it would be! I made it with brewed tea, instead of buying the Arizona brand. I threw in a couple large wedges of lemon (instead of the juice of one), and let it brew awhile with the tea bag, then squeezed the lemon in. I add the cayenne, cinnamon, coconut oil, and some cinnamon DaVinci. The oil kept rising to the top when it sat for awhile, so I just swished it around once in awhile. It definately gives you a little lift, which will be good for my afternoon slump. Thanks for sharing Kayjwag.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:37 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
I made white choc. coconut candy, I was really tierd of regular choc. I kind of went by taste so I'll try to give some Idea of what I did. Also I thought I'd let you know that the Wilderness Family on the web sells Coconut spread It's like a nutbutter, they also have other CO's.

White Chocolate Coconut Candy
1 1/2 TBLS of melted Cocoa Butter
1 TBLS of Coconut Oil
Few drops Fiber Fit or Davinci Vanilla Syrup
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract, or vanilla powder, if you use Davinci no need for the extract
1 tsp unsweetened coconut

Melt the Cocoa Butter first then add your Cocnut oil mix well. Add the sweetner, extract and then the unsweetened coconut. When mixed put in frigerator and let it harden. Before the candy got to hard I remixed it so the liquads did not seperate.

This was a nice change from dark choc. you will need to adjust the recipe to fit your taste. I would like to turn this into a CO White Choc. frosting cookies or cake.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:44 PM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagiff
I've made a lemony version of the 3 minute chocolate cake with coconut oil - it was really good! What about adapting some of the cookie recipes to use lemon juice or flavoring? Or maybe an ounce of cream cheese, a tbsp coconut oil and some lemon juice as a little lemon cheesecakey thing?

That's what I was thinking too
How about:
1T Coconut Oil
2T toasted unsweetend Coconut
Juice and pulp of a Lemon
maybe some lemon extract if you have some
1T of Cream or Nechual (sp) cheese

To me it would taste like a Lemon Cheesecake
Old 04-26-2005, 04:26 PM   #100
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Pumpkin Custard

Doesn't get easier than this:

Put the following into the blender:
1 can of pumpkin
1 can of coconut milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp. molasses and 1/4 cup Splenda (you can skip the molasses)
Pumpkin pie spice to taste, 1/2 tsp is plenty

Blend well. Pour into buttered ceramic dish. Sprinkle top with nutmeg. Bake at 350° till top is barely set. Chill to fully set, but can be served warm or cold.
This takes about 45 minutes to bake.

I'm estimating about 30 carbs for the whole thing. 1/4 of a recipe would be
around 7 carbs and one serving of the coconut oil..
Old 04-27-2005, 07:57 AM   #101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyTwinsMom
WOE: LowCarb & Patience
Start Date: It's a fresh start everyday...!
Someone previously suggested using cream cheese so I thought I would give it a try.

1T CO
~1-1/2 T crm Cheese
1ts of sour cream
1/2 cap of lemon extract
mix of liq stevia & liq spl (too taste)

I melted the CO and CC in the MW together. Mixed well and added everything else.

I made this before the gym, so I put it in the frig. Later after dinner I took it out and it was stiff like cheesecake. I was pretty good. It can probably be tweaked to perfect it but it worked.

Prev I was using the bark in the evening making single servings. But the chocolate got tiring quick. So I was glad to see another quick item you can make with out the cocoa. Now after saying that.....there is nothing saying you can't try adding cocoa it the CC for a choco cheesecake. I was even thinking about trying a tsp of SF jello powder, and leaving out the sweetners. I think the jello would add alot of flavor varieties. And since there is no cocoa it would sweeten it at the same time. Once I try it I will let you know.

Also, (this just came to mine) how about pumpkin with the spices. It seems to me the CO works like the plain gelatin for non-baked cheesecakes (it helps to set it up). I will have to look into this.

Philly~
Old 04-27-2005, 09:15 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eko42
Stats: 184/170/125
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: July 9, 2013
I found a delicious recipe for Coconut Flan on this board. I'm sorry I don't remember who the original poster was, so I cannot give proper credit where credit is due. I have doubled the recipe and admit to some tweaking. This is yummy served with berries.

Erin---

Coconut Flan

1 can unsweetened coconut milk
2 cups cream
1/2 cup combination of sugar substitutes
8 eggs
1 tablespoon coconut extract
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Heat the coconut milk, cream, and sugar substitutes in saucepan until a skin begins to form on the surface. In a heat proof bowl whisk eggs and extracts together. Whisk in hot liquid slowly. Pour into a deep dish pie plate or a casserole dish. Place this in a hot water bath in oven and bake for 45-50 minutes. Center should still be slightly wiggly. Cool completely in fridge before serving.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:46 AM   #103
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Erin, that sounds divine. Reminds me of a movie I watched recently, "Envy" where one couple becomes wealthy and they serve flan everynight. The other couple who are envious have a child who whines about why they can't have flan at their house. Cute movie.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:27 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
For those who may be interested, the daily recommendation of lauric acid from coconut is 24 grams.

If you were trying to reach that goal, your choices would be:

3.5 Tablespoons coconut oil
10 oz pure coconut milk
7 oz. raw coconut
Old 04-28-2005, 06:57 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Sept. 2003
I made Jaideye's brownies yesterday, which call for 1 cup butter. I used 3/4 cup CO and 1/4 cup butter. They came out fabulous, as usual, and each brownie has 1/2 Tab. CO. Next time I may try all CO.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:59 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HeatherFeather
Stats: 185/175/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: Nov 2002 restart 6/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap57
I made Jaideye's brownies yesterday, which call for 1 cup butter. I used 3/4 cup CO and 1/4 cup butter. They came out fabulous, as usual, and each brownie has 1/2 Tab. CO. Next time I may try all CO.

If you do add all CO you might want to add some Butter Buds to replace the butter flavor.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:51 AM   #107

I made some delicious asparagus soup last night with coconut milk:

In a saucepan,put one Tbs. of coconut oil, sautee 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped celery,and one cup of chopped asparagus for about 5-8 minutes until the veggies are soft. Then add one can of coconut milk, 1/4 cup water and 1 tsp. chicken boullion and simmer for 15 minutes..This makes about 4+ servings of one Tbs. of coconut oil..It is wonderful..I put some toasted almonds on the top..Yummy.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:41 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Could someone help me with "Susan's CO cookies"?

I tried making them last night and I don't know what went wrong. I only made 1/2 the receipe. I had two major problems. First after adding the PP the dough got really stiff and hard. I kept kneading it hoping that it would loosen up. 2nd, there was alot of liquid at the bottom of the bowl (oil and pp mixed together). And even though the dough was dry it would not absorb the liquid. The finish product were hard and DRY cookies. Can someone tell me what I did wrong? Should the dough be like thick pancake batter or should it be stiff enough to pick up and roll? I must of added to much pp but I thought I needed the powder to soak up the liq, which never happened.

Anybody know

Philly~
Old 04-29-2005, 05:53 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sanderson76
Stats: 155/148.8/125
WOE: LC
Start Date: 11/14/11
I did the same thing...the liquid was still on the bottom, so I would add one more scoop and stir again. When I went to roll mine, they would crumble, but yet they were greasy, so I could smoosh them together..LOL

I did bake it though..the cookies are hard and do crumble very easy, but they tasted really good
Old 04-29-2005, 07:31 AM   #110

Hmmm..

I have made these twice..BUT I did add about 1/4 cup of flaxseed meal to the original recipe..and added some cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice IN the recipe for flavor..

I think the flax helped absorb the oil...This should be a stiff batter..like peanut butter
cookies are so that you can roll it.into balls..Try it with the flaxseed meal..OR some Carbquik..or Bake Mix..
Old 04-29-2005, 07:41 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

I will have to give it a try again with the flax. I just hate wasting that much COil.

Maybe next time I will also bring the amount of oil down a little so I don't have that much wasted in the bowl.

By the way I did try the single serve of "ch cake" with the jello.

1T CO
~2oz cream cheese.
~1/2 tsp strawberry kiwi jello.

Melt co and cc in MW. Add jello while warm. Mix really well and put in the frig. It was sooo good warm that I started to just eat it that way. But I wanted to see what would happen in the frig. Because both the CO and jello make things solidify it was stiffer than the last time, but still very good. Next time I will add the sour cream again and maybe lower the jello just a little bit. Hoping for a more creamy texture. Aside from that the jello worked out perfect. Just the right amount of sweetness. Very nice.

I wonder what would happen using plain yogurt, and eating straight without refrigeration. Will have to give it a try.

Thanks for all the help.
Philly~
Old 04-29-2005, 07:45 AM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderson76
I did the same thing...the liquid was still on the bottom, so I would add one more scoop and stir again. When I went to roll mine, they would crumble, but yet they were greasy, so I could smoosh them together..LOL

I did bake it though..the cookies are hard and do crumble very easy, but they tasted really good

Sounds close to what I got. And when I tried to smash with a fork it would get stuck to the fork. I just smoosh them like you. But mines did not taste good . Just a dry mess. and HARD!
Old 04-29-2005, 07:52 AM   #113
moseyman

Gallery: moseyman
This recipe is very forgiving, I never measured it before this past week and it never came out badly. (taken from SCD diet forum and modified)

Fruit Muffin Breakdown: (more fruit at bottom)

1 Cup Blueberries -16.4
1 ½ Cup raw Almonds - Ground - 12
1 Cup Unsweetened, unsulfered Coconut Flakes - Ground- 6.23 (found at any health food store - very cheap)
3 egglands best Eggs - 1.8
1 Tsp aluminum free Baking Soda
1/4 Tsp Salt
¼ Cup Butter (or)
Coconut Oil To Taste (or) combo of both
--------------
Makes 12 regular sized muffins
12 Muffins/36.43 = 3.04 Carbs Per Muffin

Make sure the batter is not too dry, if it is, throw in more butter or coconut oil. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown!
------------------------------------------
basic recipe without fruit = 20.03

Instead of blueberries:
- add 1 small banana 21.2=41.23/12 = 3.44 per muffin
- add 2 bananas = 62.43/12 = 5.20 per muffin

- add 1 cup sweet raw cherries(14.11) =34.14/12 = 2.85 per muffin

- add 1 cup Peaches 9.76 =29.79/12 = 2.48 per muffin
- add 1 1/2 cup Peaches 14.64 = 34.67/12 = 2.89 per muffin

The peach muffins are great with cream cheese on top. YUM! (You may want to check my math.) I grind the fruit also so its even thru the muffins.

Old 04-29-2005, 01:29 PM   #114
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kaygirl
WOE: Atkins
[QUOTE=CarolynF]I made these this afternoon..but added some flaxseed meal to the mix..
They were very good..

QUOTE]
CarolynF, how much flaxseed did you add to the recipe? Thanks
Old 04-29-2005, 05:35 PM   #115

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
where can I get the 3 minute cake recipe?
Old 04-29-2005, 06:03 PM   #116
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Jackie, here is the link:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipe...cat/all/page/1
Old 04-30-2005, 10:14 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tammay
Stats: 188/188/123
WOE: SBD Vegetarian
Start Date: Jan 2002 (restarted: 6/1/11)
OK, here's the mousse recipe!

CO Chocolate Mousse

1 tsp CO, melted
2 tsp natural peanut butter
1 tsp coconut milk
1/3-1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp almond flour
dash of vanilla
sweetener to taste (I'm trying to keep everything natural, so I took 1/2 packet of SteviaPlus and diluted it in a few tablespoons of water)
2-3 tbsp water (if not diluting sweetener)

Mix everything and refrigerate. The flour and the water is I think what made it mousse-like so work with the water to get the consistency more liquid than the bark.

I know the amounts are pretty minimal but you can tweak the recipe to get in the amount of CO that you want.

Enjoy!

Tam
Old 04-30-2005, 02:13 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kerri
Stats: 222/203 /150....
WOE: Atkins, LCHF
Start Date: Over and Over and over AGAIN...
Hi all, I need some help..Can not find coconut milk. Where did you find it..
Thanks
Old 04-30-2005, 03:00 PM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RubyJ
WOE: Protein Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri
Hi all, I need some help..Can not find coconut milk. Where did you find it..
Thanks
I have found it in the Asian foods section. Look in the area where the soy sauce and asian noodles are. Be careful, some brands add sugar. I believe it is the "Thai" brand that does not.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:23 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eko42
Stats: 184/170/125
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: July 9, 2013
I found coconut milk at the 99 cent Store. It was 2 cans for 99 cents. I bought a case! They also carry canned cream of coconut for 99 cents a can.

Erin---