Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #361
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: charlielou
Stats: 339/234/160 restart March 2010 293/260.5/160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: sept 2005 restart march 20, 2010
I cook my eggs in Organic VCO all the time and I am super sensative to the taste of coconut and I have never found my eggs to taste or smell like coconut. If I did I would go back to bacon fat or butter.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #362
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Subbing
Old 04-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #363
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
Must....not...look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post

COCONUT CHOCOLATE PROTEIN SQUARES
Hmm, these are so good and good for you! Enjoy indulging every day without guilt. Great fiber! The coconut oil controls weight because it speeds metabolism and controls Candida/yeast.

1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp Da Vinci® Sugar Free Syrup
(I used Macadamia Nut), OR sugar free
Pancake syrup
1 tbsp butter
1 cup chocolate whey protein
2/3 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup powdered erythritol
1 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut (divided)

In food processor, process coconut oil, whipping cream, Da Vinci® Sugar Free Syrup, butter, chocolate whey protein, powdered milk, cocoa and erythritol. Stir in 3/4 cup coconut. Press into lightly greased (spray bottom of pan lightly with Pam) 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Sprinkle remaining coconut over top and press coconut into mixture with back of a soup or dessert spoon. Freeze until firm and refrigerate

Helpful Hint: This is quite a fudge-like confection and I love the combo of coconut and chocolate. It was sweet enough for me, but YMMV. You could add the contents of a couple of Splenda packets, if desired – taste and see. It’s hard to believe that this confection is actually good for you. Don’t have an ounce of guilt over this one!

This confection could be cut into 8 bars – as in protein bars - and carried in a plastic baggie in your purse. It will be a little softer, but you could always mitigate that by adding a couple tablespoons more of the whey protein or leave out a tablespoon of the sugar free syrup.

Nutritional Analysis: 32 squares (8 x 4)
1 square: 74.4 calories; 3.4 g protein; 6.1 g fat; 1.5 g carbs
too late, I looked at this. You had me @ chocolate coconut...
Old 05-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #364
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I've been making a batch of this every week for in between meal snacks. I have been eating more Atkin's 72 and have really cut out the sweetners so if you make this you might prefer it with a bit of sweetener added to it. I've just been eyeballing the ingredients, the recipe is very forgiving. The whey powder I use has a very small scoop, it's 8 grams protein for each scoop so please adjust accordingly if using another brand.

1/3-1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup almond butter
1/4 cup flax seeds (ground or meal, whatever you prefer)
1/2-3/4 cup coconut flakes (all work well, big or small)
3 scoops "The True Whey" whey powder

Mix the coconut oil, almond butter, and whey together (I use a kitchenaid mixer), add dry ingredients and beat until well mixed. Spread batter into a pyrex dish and refrigerate. Cut into squares and eat (keep refrigerated).
Old 05-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #365
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Macadamia Nut Butter Bark

Mix Equal Quantities of Macadamia nut butter and Coconut oil, and sweeten with one of the Splenda For Coffee Flavors.

2T Macadamia Nut Butter
2T Coconut oil
1 packet Splenda for Coffee Hazelnut flavor.

Stir well, pour into lined dish, freeze and snap, and enjoy.

There is also mocha, caramel, and french vanilla flavors.

good for fat fasters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg may 16_0001.jpg (50.0 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by metqa; 05-16-2010 at 04:12 PM..
Old 05-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #366
Major LCF Poster!

Where do you find the macadamia nut butter Metqa? That sounds yummy!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #367

We have an EarthFare. They sell it by the jar, or sometimes you can find it freshly ground but it's not as popular as almond and peanut, so I wouldn't count on it. tween $7-$10 i /think. I took forever usuing it up cause it's so rich and satisfying.

This brand is Maranatha.

ETA: Hey, the words in your post had a link so it seems that Netrition may have it as well. . . Uh, Nope, the link goes to a dead page. Unavaiable for sale. I wish they'd delete pages for things we can't buy.it's frustrating. Anyway, you could check out your local healthy food store or ask your supermarket to special order it if htey have a health food section, maybe.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 05-16-2010 at 08:30 PM..
Old 05-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #368
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, I'll check out a few places - I just never looked for it before and it sounds very yummy!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #369
Administrator

Gallery: Kathy
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
ETA: Hey, the words in your post had a link so it seems that Netrition may have it as well. . . Uh, Nope, the link goes to a dead page. Unavaiable for sale. I wish they'd delete pages for things we can't buy.it's frustrating. Anyway, you could check out your local healthy food store or ask your supermarket to special order it if htey have a health food section, maybe.
Thank you for pointing out that the link to a Netrition page contained a product no longer available for sale. We updated our link so that it now points to a Macadamia Nut Butter that IS for sale.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
Thank you for pointing out that the link to a Netrition page contained a product no longer available for sale. We updated our link so that it now points to a Macadamia Nut Butter that IS for sale.
AWESOME!!!
You Rock!

ETA: Yay!!That's the One!!! It's SO GOOD! No added sugar, salt or oil. But it will separate like mad cause it's naturally very oily. So stir it and keep it in the fridge to keep it from separting, or just keep it in the cabinet and use it frequently. Otherwise it settles and compacts at the bottom. But I'll bet you want to eat it straight from the jar on a regular basis!

Last edited by metqa; 05-17-2010 at 09:10 PM..
Old 05-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #371
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
AWESOME!!!
You Rock!

ETA: Yay!!That's the One!!! It's SO GOOD! No added sugar, salt or oil. But it will separate like mad cause it's naturally very oily. So stir it and keep it in the fridge to keep it from separting, or just keep it in the cabinet and use it frequently. Otherwise it settles and compacts at the bottom. But I'll bet you want to eat it straight from the jar on a regular basis!

Yay! Up to this point all of the macadamia nut butters I have found have cashew butter too (probably for the reasons of consistency) but that has too many carbs...(adding this to the potential netrition order) when I have enough items to justify the shipping cost, I am gonna put in an order...
Old 05-19-2010, 05:19 AM   #372
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
This thread is making my mouth water!

Have just taken delivery of my Nutiva EVCO and melted some into the vegetable curry sauce I made for dinner tonight. Has a slight coconut undertone, but not overpowering. Think it's going to be pretty good!

Can't wait to try some of these recipes!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #373
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Just made some coconut bark, and I have to say a big thank you to everyone, as I think I may become addicted!

4 tablespoons of EVCO
4 squares of Lindt 90% cocoa solid chocolate (i.e. 40g)
1 oz chopped almonds
4 tablespoons of Proti Meal Natural Oatmeal cereal (it's a protein based powder with the occasional oat in it - I couldn't find my flax!)
2 inches root ginger, grated

Break the chocolate into pieces and melt, along with the coconut oil, in a bowl on top of a pan of simmering water. Stir in the chopped almonds, grated ginger and oatmeal. Pour a thin layer in a dish & freeze.

When I make this again, I'll probably double the almonds, increase the ginger a bit, and maybe add a splash of brandy.

85% fat
8% protein
5% net carb
3% fibre

I could easily have a couple of squares of this with coffee for breakfast on the days I can't face eggs or 'proper food'.

Edited to add, it would taste better with sweetener in it, but since I'm trying to avoid sweet food, I didn't bother.

Edited to add (yes again ), I bet it would be lovely if strawberries were dipped in it when melted, and then allowed to set in the fridge!

With apologies for being obssessed !

Last edited by clanger; 05-19-2010 at 08:42 AM..
Old 05-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #374
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dawn18
Stats: 262/210/162
WOE: LC
Start Date: November 30, 2009
saving my place
Old 05-21-2010, 06:22 AM   #375

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by martiangurll View Post
too late, I looked at this. You had me @ chocolate coconut...
This is the BEST STUFF EVER!!!! I love it so much!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #376

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by martiangurll View Post

Yay! Up to this point all of the macadamia nut butters I have found have cashew butter too (probably for the reasons of consistency) but that has too many carbs...(adding this to the potential netrition order) when I have enough items to justify the shipping cost, I am gonna put in an order...
I bought Mac nut butter and when I brought it home saw the teenytiny print that said Cashew butter. I had no idea!! I am glad we now have a place to get straight mac nut butter!!! Thanks netrition!!!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #377
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthnut
Stats: 190/160/120 5'2"
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: April 2010 (2nd - and last -time)
Great thread (it's been around awhile!). Subscribing.

Does anyone have any recipes that use coconut flour? I have a bag in my pantry for some reason.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #378
Major LCF Poster!

Healthnut, I've made all of these recipes using coconut flour and they are all awesome! I love coconut though, DH likes the sweet recipes not so much the savory ones (but he's kind of on the fence with coconut anyway).

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ke-w-pics.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-biscuits.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-frosting.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-frosting.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ever-made.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ns-w-pics.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-biscuits.html
Old 05-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #379
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthnut
Stats: 190/160/120 5'2"
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: April 2010 (2nd - and last -time)
Thanks Angie!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #380
Major LCF Poster!

Anytime!!
Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #381
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: avv821
WOE: Just trying to stay healthy and all natural.....
Coconut Oil Pudding

[QUOTE=PhillyTwinsMom;5096856]I will have to give it a try again with the flax. I just hate wasting that much COil.

Maybe next time I will also bring the amount of oil down a little so I don't have that much wasted in the bowl.

By the way I did try the single serve of "ch cake" with the jello.

1T CO
~2oz cream cheese.
~1/2 tsp strawberry kiwi jello.

Melt co and cc in MW. Add jello while warm. Mix really well and put in the frig. It was sooo good warm that I started to just eat it that way. But I wanted to see what would happen in the frig. Because both the CO and jello make things solidify it was stiffer than the last time, but still very good. Next time I will add the sour cream again and maybe lower the jello just a little bit. Hoping for a more creamy texture. Aside from that the jello worked out perfect. Just the right amount of sweetness. Very nice.

I wonder what would happen using plain yogurt, and eating straight without refrigeration. Will have to give it a try.

Thanks for all the help.
Philly~[/QUOT

Hi! I'm new here, but I am not new to using coconut oil. I am always looking for new ways to get my daily CO in. I tried Philly's "recipe" but tweaked it a bit. I used:

1 T CO
3 T plain low-fat yogurt
1 T FF/SF pudding mix (banana cream flavor)
about 1/2 packet of stevia to taste

I melted the CO, then whisked in yogurt, pudding and stevia. Cover and chill in freezer until desired consistency.

Tasted like coconutty-bananay pudding. The coconut oil got a little gritty and it had a funny texture, but tasted pretty good.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherFeather View Post
This recipe was a Bake-off winner many years ago. I used to LOVE these but had forgotten all about them until recently. I have been making a low carb version and they work great for a quick on-the-run breakfast. They are quite delicate when they first come out of the oven but a little stronger and firmer once cooled.

Snackeroons

1 c. grated chedder cheese
3/4 c. CARBQUIK
( here it calls for 3/4 c. rice crispies but I just skip them)
1/2 c. crushed walnuts
1/2 tsp. garlic salt (I use garlic POWDER instead of salt)
1/2 c. butter (soft) (I use expeller pressed Coconut oil instead)
6 slices crisp crushed bacon (I use 9 pieces instead of 6)
2 tblsp bacon drippings or oil (again, the Coconut oil)
4 to 5 tsp. ice water

Combine all of the ingredients, form into balls and bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 375 (or until golden brown). A silicon baking mat is really great for these. If they spread too much you might chill the uncooked balls before baking. Next time I make these I'm going to try Pepper Jack cheese.

I just bought some Butter Buds and I think I may add some to the water in the recipe to replace the butter flavor. Not that it really needs it.
Question about the 'starch' ingredient. You used carbquick. Did you use CQ instead of the Rice Krispies, or were teh Rice Krispies an added ingredient in to be added in addition to the flour that you just left out? ask because I have some Keto crisps but not carbquick, and I could use them maybe. I also have some atkins bake mix and wonder if that would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglenomore View Post
Metga, the lecithin tip is great! I have 2 different Circulon skillets that let almost everything stick no matter how much I spray, etc., so can't wait to try this!

Also, the other day I remembered that my mom used to whip up her own soft-spread butter, so I tried it with coconut oil and it turned out great! Tastes just like butter! My son and husband don't even realizing they're getting CO when they use it. Didn't have an exact recipe but here's what I did:

In a small mixing bowl (I used my Magic Bullet) mix the following:

1 stick of butter, softened
1-2 tablespoons liquid oil of your choice (or you can use all CO, I was chicken to the first try!)
2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil
salt to taste
ice water

1. Whip the butter up till fluffy.
2. Gradually whip in the oil.
3. Add ice water a teaspoon at a time and whip after each addition.
4. Salt to taste
5. Add a drop of yellow food color, if desired.
6. Keep whipping till the mixture is the consistency you want and refrigerate
in a small, saved soft-serve tub.

When I took it out of the fridge the first time it was a little firm so I nuked it and whipped in a little more oil to soften. Next time I will double this and use a bigger tub!
I made that recently. I whipped up the soft butter with some refined coconut oil and froze it into blocks and wrapped it with wax paper. Looks just like sticks of butter and tastes no different though it melts faster than butter at the same temperature (obviously). But right now i'm not having any starches , not even low carb ones, so I have no delicious low carb bread to spread it over. Maybe I'll make some oopsies. Now that I've done that successfully, next time I WILL make it flavored if I can , add a bit of sugar and cinnamon maybe. or some parsley and basil, . . . or GARLIC! yum!!

ETA: Hey, I wanna try the mayo and salad dressings,but I still have a lot of commercial dressings. Do you think I could just add some coconut oil to the ready made stuff to stretch it out a bit. i have Italian dressing, just add some coconut oil to that bottle and use it up?

Last edited by metqa; 06-20-2010 at 06:30 AM..
Old 07-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #383
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: genevieve
Stats: 282.6/267/160
WOE: atkins
Start Date: april 2010/restart 10/11/10
great thread

thanks everyone for all the recipes
Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #384
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mngirl
Stats: 185/174/135
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 5/25/10
saving my spot to read later!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #385
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
I have a question--I just picked up a container of Spring Valley brand organic extra virgin coconut oil from Walmart and it says to refrigerate after opening but I have read many here who leave it sitting out on the counter all the time--so I am wondering if it is safe to do so--it sure would be alot easier than having to chunk a piece off all the time when you needed to--I dont refrigerate any other oils--so its weird to think this one has to be refrigerated--especially if a person would buy that big gallon size! thanks for any input
and for all the recipes here!!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post
I have a question--I just picked up a container of Spring Valley brand organic extra virgin coconut oil from Walmart and it says to refrigerate after opening but I have read many here who leave it sitting out on the counter all the time--so I am wondering if it is safe to do so--it sure would be alot easier than having to chunk a piece off all the time when you needed to--I dont refrigerate any other oils--so its weird to think this one has to be refrigerated--especially if a person would buy that big gallon size! thanks for any input
and for all the recipes here!!
I think some labels put that as a standard precaution. many seed oils will go rancid very quickly at summer temperatures ( a matter of mere months) and they are advised to be kept cool or refrigerated.

Coconut oil being mostly saturated will survived much longer than most any other vegetable oil. On the shelf even refined Coconut oil can last from 6 months to 2 years, virgin even longer.

Keep it where it's convenient for you. I don't refrigerate my gallon bucket of oil!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:13 AM   #387
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Thanks for the reply--I will leave it out--much easier to work with this way!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #388
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
bumping
Old 10-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #389
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rrrhan
Stats: 183/165/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/14/08 restart Aug 28, 2010/restart Sep 2012
subbing.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #390
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mishka68
Stats: 195/139/135 -- 5'1" tall (or short)
WOE: Low-carb, Gluten-free, Grain-free
Start Date: Since 2008 - started @ 195lbs.
subscribing